Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Surly Lard Beasts Weep and Moan About Protein Powder

quote:

The new Protein World poster campaign advertising diet supplements as a weight loss aid is a sexist, body-shaming double whammy. It screams "Are You Beach Body Ready?" while shoving a huge image of a woman in a bikini in our faces — just in case we're not quite sure what the Protein World definition of a "beach body" is.
Granted she's a beautiful woman in a bikini. But she's only one version of beauty and sadly it's the one that we see time and time again: in movies, on the pages of magazines and on enormous posters like this one plastered across the walls of our train stations, our bus shelters and our billboards. The one that doesn't represent the vast majority of women. You know: the women who don't have a tiny waist, a belly as flat as an ironing board and breasts that stay firm and pert in a bikini without any underwiring. You know: us.

It's great to see companies like Dove, ModCloth and Lane Byrant use real bodies in their campaigns — and by real I mean all types of bodies, including the Protein World bikini girl but also shorter, skinnier, curvier, larger women than her — but we need more of it. And the only way to get more of it is to make our voices heard, perhaps in a very public way. Which is exactly what two bloggers, Fiona Longmuir a.k.a. The Escapologist's Daughter and Tara of Zusterschap, did this week.

Tara tweeted a picture of herself showing exactly what she and her middle finger thought of the poster and this struck a chord with Fiona. The two began chatting, a plan was formed and 24 hours later they were both stripping to their bikinis in the middle of a crowded Charing Cross train station
"We agreed that we would pose in our bikinis next to the poster, just to let everyone know that we considered ourselves very much beach ready, and gorgeous to boot," said Fiona. "I've had a lot of people compliment me on my confidence since posting this photo on Twitter, but to be honest, in those few seconds before I took off my dress, I felt like bursting into tears and having a heart attack simultaneously."

Both women agreed that it helped to have someone else there for support (despite having only met each other the day before). "It was a very liberating experience for me as I'm not usually that comfortable on beaches in a bikini, let alone somewhere out of the ordinary in one," said Tara.

"I don't look like that model when I'm dolled up to the nines, never mind when I'm on the beach," said Fiona. "But right there, in that moment, I felt sexy as hell."

Tara agreed that it was "definitely a successful experience" saying, "I was really worried we would attract abuse or men making us feel uncomfortable but we didn't. My faith in humanity has been restored a little."

"The best part about all this is the fact that Protein World completely misunderstood, retweeted the photo and sent me a winky face emoji," she added.

This particular campaign has annoyed a lot of people, prompting the #eachbodysready social media campaign and widespread vandalism of the posters around London Underground. A protest was held last weekend, a change.org petition calling for the removal of the ad has received 25,861 signatures to date and the advert is currently under Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) investigation due to the number of complaints received about it.
"Seeing images of the same (often unattainable) body type touted as the ideal all the time has an affect, whether we like it or not," Fiona told SheKnows. "This idea that women need to meet a minimum standard to be acceptable for public misses the point that women aren't supposed to be for public display. I think that's what riled me so much about the Protein World ad. The model wasn't presented as an unattainable goal, or an amazing achievement, she was presented as 'ready.' As the bare minimum that a woman should be."

"Am I beach body ready? You can bet your rear end I am," she said. "And I don't need meal replacements to get there. And neither do you. We're already perfect."

My main question here is why is that girl on the left wearing a flowery diaper? Maybe she should be protesting society's unreasonable standards for not making GBS threads yourself in public instead of fat shaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
I'd gently caress both of those females

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
No, yes.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

You disgust me. I wouldn't put my hog in either one of those slop holes.

LOSE WEIGHT.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Me too.
But I would only jerk off to the one on the right :dukedog:

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
you shouldn't take bodies to the beach, since they'll just keep washing right back up. rock quarries or swamps are your best bet

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
brb gonna lose a poo poo load of weight by slurpin down protein powder

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

My main question here is why is that girl on the left wearing a flowery diaper? Maybe she should be protesting society's unreasonable standards for not making GBS threads yourself in public instead of fat shaming.
it's a bikini for fat girls to tuck their gut into the bottom, so as to try and fake their way in to being beach body ready

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
i'm not ashamed of my body. i'm hiding most of my torso behind these granny panties because i'm liberated

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I want to be there to comfort that poor model from the ad.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
ANd i think its gunna be a long long time til touchdown brings me round again to find im not the man they think i am at home

o no no no

im a postin' maaaaaan

shittin in this really bad thread alone

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Lol if you think the UK has a 'summer' or a 'beach'

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I am comfortable with my body. I'm a confident sassy fat woman, but I swear to god I will freak the gently caress out if anyone suggests it is better to be thin. FREAK THE gently caress OUT!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
would the right one

left one is hiding skinny fat

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Some people really need to get a loving hobby. Jesus.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Nice to see someone has figured out how to manipulate twitter outrage culture for gain instead of just to get fired.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Owned

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
So I assumed that the adverts must have pictures of fat people and have some mocking tagline. It is literally a thin person in a bikini that is now too much? gently caress these people.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
"But right there, in that moment, I felt sexy as hell." 

Also why the gently caress do women talk like this it's retarded

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Mange Mite posted:

"But right there, in that moment, I felt sexy as hell." 

Also why the gently caress do women talk like this it's retarded

So what it all comes down to is even fat pigs want to feel sexy.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

let's see you in a bikini in a grimy under-serviced tube station, OP

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
true story i fell asleep on the beach and was woken up by emergency crews bulldozing me into the water i just thank god they did it in time

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

lmao

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
id plow flower granny's big fat gunt

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Hmmm, interesting (not really)

Aug 4, 2010

the best

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I wouldn't gently caress either of them because they have bad teeth

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i'm gonna give those girls some protein

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Jenkem Delivery posted:

I wouldn't gently caress either of them because they have bad teeth

dont mouth shame

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I wouldnt gently caress the fat one.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I was expecting landwhales not slightly chubby women. get on america's level Britain.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
Everyone who would gently caress the left one should feel ashamed of their self and their standards

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

not interested in drinking cum slurry 'shakes' tyvm.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
They're right

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What's up with the fat one's tiny rabbit ears?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
"I don't feel bad about my body!" *hikes up bikini bottoms to cover sick gut*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

quote:

in those few seconds before I took off my dress, I felt like bursting into tears and having a heart attack simultaneously

maybe ease off on the big macs

• Locked thread