Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So, Melth, now that you've played both games I want to hear something from you about variety when playing max rank. In FE6, making max rank is much easier than in FE7 as we have just seen. You were able to use all sorts of weapons and promote a bunch of units even if you didn't need to. Yeah the strategy in FE6 is lackluster by your definition but you seem to have way more options available to you in how you go through a chapter. In FE7, while you had some room to vary things up a little, especially towards the endgame, it felt like max ranking FE7 consisted of a bunch of specific rules and sequences you must follow in order to succeed. You must use iron weapons for most of the game, you definitely want to train certain people, you must train almost everyone to some degree to hit that EXP requirement, steal everything, etc. Since you've max ranked FE7 a few times now, how similar were each of those runs in terms of strategy? I know that certain units will probably vary based on what levels they gain but while you have to be tactical about completing the maps, it seems like if someone going for FE7 max rank doesn't do about 90% of what you did in that LP, they would not get max rank. In FE6, it seemed like you could almost bumble your way to a max rank as long as you had a few key statistics on hand and generally just tried to beat the chapters fast and get everything.

While you seem to greatly enjoy working within those constraints FE7 poses to you, it seems FE6 gives players a lot more room to play around while going for max rank.

Unrelated to these questions, before you request archiving this thread, you really should go back through it and touch up any errors in your updates like missing images. For instance, you didn't include the actual map for Chapter 23 and there are numerous times throughout the LP where you accidentally duplicate an image. I don't know if the FE7 thread ended up in the archive by now but if not see if you can make those fixes too. Do all of your fixes BEFORE submitting anything to baldurk for uploading to the LP Archive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FE6 isn't really a bad game (though it's not a good one either; it's solid at best) if you're just playing the game the way you normally would. It's basically a proof of concept for FE7, where they put the changes they made in 6 to much better use.

SgCloud
Oct 30, 2011
Congratz on finishing the max rank run, Melth!
I also followed your FE7 max rank run and was a big fan of that as well. I played FE6 and FE7 a few years back and while back then i could never put properly into words on what the quality difference between the two games consists in (i was kind of an idiot), your commentary highlighted all the important points spot on.

I would also really love to see you do a run on Wc3, especially since I used to play Wc3 semi-professionally. Would you do only RoC or also include TFT (and if so, would you also do the TFT Orc Campaign)?

I sincerily hope you can get everything set up for a video LP!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

alcharagia posted:

put them in the op

Like by quoting them in or is there some other way I should put them there? Also, OFS, is it alright with you if I do that?

FPzero posted:

So, Melth, now that you've played both games I want to hear something from you about variety when playing max rank. In FE6, making max rank is much easier than in FE7 as we have just seen. You were able to use all sorts of weapons and promote a bunch of units even if you didn't need to. Yeah the strategy in FE6 is lackluster by your definition but you seem to have way more options available to you in how you go through a chapter. In FE7, while you had some room to vary things up a little, especially towards the endgame, it felt like max ranking FE7 consisted of a bunch of specific rules and sequences you must follow in order to succeed. You must use iron weapons for most of the game, you definitely want to train certain people, you must train almost everyone to some degree to hit that EXP requirement, steal everything, etc. Since you've max ranked FE7 a few times now, how similar were each of those runs in terms of strategy? I know that certain units will probably vary based on what levels they gain but while you have to be tactical about completing the maps, it seems like if someone going for FE7 max rank doesn't do about 90% of what you did in that LP, they would not get max rank. In FE6, it seemed like you could almost bumble your way to a max rank as long as you had a few key statistics on hand and generally just tried to beat the chapters fast and get everything.

While you seem to greatly enjoy working within those constraints FE7 poses to you, it seems FE6 gives players a lot more room to play around while going for max rank.

Unrelated to these questions, before you request archiving this thread, you really should go back through it and touch up any errors in your updates like missing images. For instance, you didn't include the actual map for Chapter 23 and there are numerous times throughout the LP where you accidentally duplicate an image. I don't know if the FE7 thread ended up in the archive by now but if not see if you can make those fixes too. Do all of your fixes BEFORE submitting anything to baldurk for uploading to the LP Archive.

I don't think your assessment of what was required is quite accurate. With regard to funds, I promoted more guys than I should have in both games and I also used primarily iron weapons until the end in FE6. One thing I argued during 7 actually is that the common advice that you should only ever use iron weapons is terrible; you should use better weapons but do so judiciously. That can save you time, give you more XP, and sometimes even save you money. With regard to XP, in both games I trained nearly everyone up. In fact, I trained a bigger % of all available people in FE6 than in FE7. In both cases of course I ended up with a massive surplus, so it's not really necessary to be as hardcore about maximizing XP as I was in either case.

I would say that FE6's XP requirement is at least as stringent as FE7's, since a lot of the low-level people it will require you to train are outright terrible and the enemies are tougher and harder to kill.

In funds they're also comparable if you do all the 0 requirement chapters in FE7 (though FE7 is definitely still a bit harder). If you don't do some 0 requirement chapters (or are max ranking Eliwood's mode especially) then FE7's funds requirement is a lot stricter. ENM max ranking funds is crazy. You can promote 4 people. That's it. And that's if you steal EVERYTHING (and there's much more to steal in that mode).

FE6 gives more "room" only in that the tactics requirement is absurdly easy. so you can play slow and boring and conventional strategies. I mean, I spent more than 200 turns just building supports and I STILL finished with a hundred turns in the bank. That's insane. And boring.

So I guess I would say that FE7 offers more room than you might think it does and my own playstyle changes a bit every time (though Canas is pretty much a must). Meanwhile, you can get any with any mediocre strategy you want in FE6 as long as you keep cycling in weak people and training them.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Melth posted:

Like by quoting them in or is there some other way I should put them there? Also, OFS, is it alright with you if I do that?

Save them to your computer, upload them to LPix, and post them yourself. At least that's how I did it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Melth posted:

Sure, whatever.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Melth posted:

I was too hard on Awakening before; it's actually way better than I thought on my first 3 runs. I'm now on chapter 20 of my first lunatic+ no children, no grinding, no renown or other special items run and I have to say that the game really shows that a ton of work was put into it. It's the first one in the series since FE7 that really goes above and beyond what's required to such an extent. And it does break new ground, some of it pretty interesting, with its new mechanics. At least if you play on lunatic + and don't grind, the game is a serious challenge and calls for serious strategy, so it's actually been pretty fun. On the other hand, the story is still one of the worst in the series and the character designs are horrendous and they're almost all lame joke characters and the music is mediocre. But even though it fails completely in many ways, it still shows that the designers tried really hard to make a good game. I can respect that.

It's too bad that capturing on a 3DS is a pain, because I'd be really curious to see how Lunatic+ is done without DLC or other compromises to the difficulty. After doing everything but Apotheosis in Hard, I decided to try Lunatic and almost gave up with how frustrating the first few chapters were. I started grinding immediately after I was able because Nosferatu tanking my way through the game is no fun and it's too hard otherwise. Having read through this LP and the FE7 one I have no doubt that you can take on Awakening's Lunatic+ like the developers intended, but I feel like I just don't have the level of skill at the game to envision how it goes.

Thanks for doing both of these though, I really enjoyed the strategy and story commentary in both. Having played 7 a lot and 6 only once, I hadn't realized how much more polish seems to have gone into 7. Roy being so terrible is especially noticeable, compared to having three characters in 7 and even the worst being substantially better than him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lunatic is very tedious and Lunatic+ is lame because it adds semi random enemy only super skills on top of that

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Manatee Cannon posted:

Lunatic is very tedious and Lunatic+ is lame because it adds semi random enemy only super skills on top of that

I really do wish there was a difficulty between Lunatic and Hard. Enemies almost never have any skills even on lunatic, which is a drat shame as it'd go a long way to making the maps and enemy forces and bosses feel more interesting.

Give enemies a bunch of skills but keep hard mode stats and I'd be content.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised there was no middle scale between Hard and Lunatic, like the H2-H4 of 11 or the Maniac difficulty of 12. Guess not enough people thought those difficulties were worth keeping?

Still didn't like how Lunatic+ made the first few chapters far more dependent on RNG than really necessary, or forcing particular Asset and Flaw combos just to have a good chance to get through without casualties.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

The Iron Rose posted:

I really do wish there was a difficulty between Lunatic and Hard. Enemies almost never have any skills even on lunatic, which is a drat shame as it'd go a long way to making the maps and enemy forces and bosses feel more interesting.

Give enemies a bunch of skills but keep hard mode stats and I'd be content.

That's pretty much Fire Emblem Fates' Lunatic mode. There's about 20% more enemies than Hard but statistically they're the same. Skill distribution depends on what version you're playing (Conquest throws ninjas that can delete 40% max HP that ignores defenses). There's even silly stuff like enemies swapping places with your characters so it puts you in range of a status staff user so you can't escape. The only other major change is that growths are fixed.

There hasn't been a refined ranking system that FE6/7 established, but with unlimited grinding that Sacred Stones and Awakening along with bonus exp of the console games probably made difficult to judge your performance outside of turns taken

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Slugfest

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FPzero posted:

Yeah, I was definitely planning on doing that. I'd gone midway through my FE7 Let's Play proofreading when suddenly the thread became impossible to edit anymore because it's "locked for archiving". I talked to Baldurk and it seems my best bet is to redo each post in the test poster site.

For this one I guess I'll need to move faster

SgCloud posted:

I would also really love to see you do a run on Wc3, especially since I used to play Wc3 semi-professionally. Would you do only RoC or also include TFT (and if so, would you also do the TFT Orc Campaign)?

I sincerily hope you can get everything set up for a video LP!

If I do a Warcraft 3 LP (which I would really like to do, but I'm not sure how to overcome to the technical hurdles because I don't really know anything about editing video and also don't have a microphone), then I'd definitely do every single campaign in both RoC and TFT- and the demo campaign and whatnot. The TFT orc campaign is a horrendously boring waste of time, but I guess I'd probably do that one too. I think I might even do some fan-made custom campaigns and whatnot when I've finished the main stuff; there are some really good ones out there. And maybe play some ladder games; I used to do that a lot too. If I'm feeling really self-adulatory, maybe I'll do some of my own maps and campaigns after that.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I do dislike Lunatic+ compared to Lunatic, but I think Lunatic is quite exciting. It's hard and normal mode that are tedious because they're so easy.

Ozdhaka posted:

Still didn't like how Lunatic+ made the first few chapters far more dependent on RNG than really necessary, or forcing particular Asset and Flaw combos just to have a good chance to get through without casualties.

With regard to assets and flaws, some are just better than others on any difficulty mode. FE Awakening made the 3 stats to rule them all (Str, Speed, Def) more important than ever and the classic sucky stats (Skill and Luck) even worse than before. You should always have a good stat as an asset and should always have a bad stat as a flaw.

But you're totally right that the first few chapters (and even some later ones) are absurdly RNG dependent and that completely sucks. I consider this to be kind of a problem with FE in general, but it's worse on the harder difficulties like Lunatic+. Luck really has very little place in a strategy game if you ask me, and it annoys me that Fire Emblem uses luck for EVERYTHING.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Melth posted:

Luck really has very little place in a strategy game if you ask me, and it annoys me that Fire Emblem uses luck for EVERYTHING.

Eh, I think it works fine in games like xcom and bloodbowl where the strategy is all based around risk management. In fire emblem, you kind of lose that after the first few chapters and then the odds get tilted so far in your favor that the rng only exists for extremely low probability to dick you over/save you now and again.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Melth posted:

Yeah, I was definitely planning on doing that. I'd gone midway through my FE7 Let's Play proofreading when suddenly the thread became impossible to edit anymore because it's "locked for archiving". I talked to Baldurk and it seems my best bet is to redo each post in the test poster site.

For this one I guess I'll need to move faster

Additionally, you can also reset the automatic archival by posting in the thread again. Threads archive due to inactivity so if you keep posting in them while doing your proofreading you should be fine. Once every two weeks should be plenty to keep it in active status.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FPzero posted:

Additionally, you can also reset the automatic archival by posting in the thread again. Threads archive due to inactivity so if you keep posting in them while doing your proofreading you should be fine. Once every two weeks should be plenty to keep it in active status.

Ah, that's very good to know, thank you. I couldn't work on the other for a while due to moving and whatnot and that must have been when it was archived.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FPzero posted:

I've edited up to chapter 7 now, so about 25% done.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
So you say you only got the three images;

Melth posted:

Interspersed with the credits are a few random pictures.

7, you may recall, was full of these and actually used them to great effect mid-story.

I guess that’s Guinevere? And I guess those 3 pictures in that style are the only ones they made? That seems like a weirdly half-hearted effort.

But then in the other thread;

vilkacis posted:

And then,

...the credits roll.

Every so often,

...they're interrupted...

...by scenes from the story of Elibe.

Important moments in history...

...as well as domestic scenes;

...epic battles,

...as well as that which comes after.

Anyone know why Vilk got so many? I assuming his hacks are involved somehow in his case, but are the extra scenes unlockables?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The first one is directly from FE7, and the next three are edits of FE7 images.

This one is just Eliwood with Durandal and a beard.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Kajeesus posted:

The first one is directly from FE7, and the next three are edits of FE7 images.

This one is just Eliwood with Durandal and a beard.

Looking at that one, I'm 95% sure it's Roy with the Sword of Seals and a beard. I haven't actually read his thread, but I saw this one clip from it where for some reason he put a beard on Roy during level up screens.

Anyway, as usual Serenes has a complete list of all the pictures in that style from the game. They're called CGs, not sure what it stands for. And I'm not 100% sure why I got the ones I did, but looking at the list gives me some ideas: http://serenesforest.net/binding-blade/miscellaneous/cgs/

For one thing, I note immediately that there is a picture of the pegasus sisters that I got (and I did the Ilia route) and one of the nomads that I didn't get. So I suspect some of them appear based on route choices and the like.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FPzero posted:

Up to chapter 11.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh. That's because he ran that ending on the games normal ending. You'll notice that during the credits it splices in the 10 units you brought to the end game? Well what if you had less than 10? It plays those CGs instead. My hack displays all the CGs because I just have the full endings play after the credits for everyone.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FPzero posted:

Up to 17

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FPzero posted:

Up to chapter 20x

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Hey Melth, just so you know, I've almost finished remaking my S-Rank guide for Lyn Mode since the first failed in the Funds Rank. So keep that in mind before you do anything with it, ok?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FPzero posted:

Up to 22 now.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Well I think I've finished proofreading this Let's Play. If you know of a mistake I didn't catch, now is the best time to point it out.

I still need to find a way to finish proofreading the FE7 one since the thread locked before I was done.

As for future projects, I've been waffling about whether to try to move ahead with a video Let's Play (probably of a small game to warm up for Warcraft 3) or to retire from LPing. This has been more rewarding than I expected, mainly because you guys are great, but it's also been kind of draining when I have a lot of other projects competing for my time. And my technical ineptitude is making getting started with a video Let's Play rather intimidating.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
My attempts at making a video LP are going poorly so far, but I thought of a good game to make another screencap one of: Civilization 2. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741434

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
On second thought, I've decided I still have more editing to do here.

Melth fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 21, 2016

• Locked thread