Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax
?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
"Spiritual" people want all the fun of beliving in magic and fairies, but lack the courage to commit to a real religion.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
being spiritual means you're too edgy for religion but too dumb to actually think about stuff.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
weed

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Applewhite posted:

"Spiritual" people want all the fun of beliving in magic and fairies, but lack the courage to commit to a real religion.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
"Spiritual" is used in the Midwest to deflect when people ask you about what church you go to and poo poo so you don't out yourself as not giving a poo poo about religion which offends a lot of people here. It's basically a cop out. Not me though I say "I'm atheist bitch" and then I falcon punch her in the taint like a sir.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

religious is being an idiot in one way and spiritual is also being an idiot but slightly less i guess? like the "spirit of the earth" or something is slightly more believable than 'oh i pray to a jew wizard'

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

appropriatemetaphor posted:

religious is being an idiot in one way and spiritual is also being an idiot but slightly less i guess? like the "spirit of the earth" or something is slightly more believable than 'oh i pray to a jew wizard'

He's technically a lich.

naem
May 29, 2011

Religion is for your grandma and being spiritual is for formerly hot goth women in their early thirties as they gradually transform into cat ladies

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
spiritual means vaguely definied paranormal bullshit

religious means explicitly defined

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

spiritual means vaguely definied paranormal bullshit

religious means explicitly defined

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
spiritual means haunted by ghost but religious means haunted by bygone uncle rapes

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Spiritual is an even wishy-washier agnostic.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Applewhite posted:

He's technically a lich.

rub my phalactery to realeas jesus bb

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Religious people misinterpret books to justify horrible poo poo they do.

Spiritual people skip the literature part and just ad lib their bullshit excuses.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
religious people are closeted freaks but feel bad about it and spiritual people think it's a requirement

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

He's technically a lich.

er tehincaly hes a wheat

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
spiritual means they are DTF op

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Sam Harris covering the neurological perspective of spirituality and why he's a spiritually active atheist

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ugh

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Sam Harris is a loving idiot.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Zaradis posted:

Sam Harris is a loving idiot.

yeah one ofthe premier intellectuals of the day is an "idiot", strike 1 bub

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Religion is saying "I love you, dad" and then doing dumb poo poo, spirituality is saying "you're not my real dad" and then doing dumb poo poo.

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

lol premier intellectuals

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

religion's got rules and poo poo and spirituality you make up as you go along, i think

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Religious : Lawful

Spiritual : Chaotic

So e.g. Harris would Chaotic Evil.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

He is an idiot, though.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Religions have popes or priests and generally accepted regulations while spiritualists take a cafeteria approach

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Should have made a pole

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
harris declares all dogma pernicious, except his own thoroughly dogmatic attachment to nondualistic contemplative mysticism, of a sort which he mistakenly imagines he has discovered in one school of tibetan buddhism, and which (naturally) he characterizes as purely rational and scientific. he provides a long passage ascribed to the (largely mythical) tantric sage padmasambhava and then breathlessly informs his readers that nothing remotely as profound is to be found anywhere in the religious traditions of the west--though, really, the passage is little more than a formulaic series of mystical platitudes, of the sort to be found in every religion's contemplative repertoire, describing the sort of oceanic ecstasy that christian mystical tradition tends to treat as one of the infantile stages of the contemplative life

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Orkin Mang posted:

harris declares all dogma pernicious, except his own thoroughly dogmatic attachment to nondualistic contemplative mysticism, of a sort which he mistakenly imagines he has discovered in one school of tibetan buddhism, and which (naturally) he characterizes as purely rational and scientific. he provides a long passage ascribed to the (largely mythical) tantric sage padmasambhava and then breathlessly informs his readers that nothing remotely as profound is to be found anywhere in the religious traditions of the west--though, really, the passage is little more than a formulaic series of mystical platitudes, of the sort to be found in every religion's contemplative repertoire, describing the sort of oceanic ecstasy that christian mystical tradition tends to treat as one of the infantile stages of the contemplative life

pretty much

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Orkin Mang posted:

Harris doesn't know poo poo about Tibetan Buddhism, which is an interesting tradition but definitely not what atheists and hippies are looking for as some kind of role model.

Tibetan Buddhism would be Lawful Neutral. They follow the sutras and the monastic rules. Starving kids, so what?

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
spiritual is white people stealing from hinduism and buddhism except for the bits that would make them do poo poo they didn't already feel like doing.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
christopher hitchens, whose talent for intellectual caricature somewhat exceeds his mastery of consecutive logic, has just issued god is not great, a book that raises the wild non sequitur almost to the level of a dialectical method, imo

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Police Academy III posted:

spiritual is white people stealing from hinduism and buddhism except for the bits that would make them do poo poo they didn't already feel like doing.

They steal those parts from a hodgepodge of Native American poo poo. Basically if you're spiritual you take all the fun bits out of various religions and forget about all the duty and responsibility part because something something anyone can talk to god.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Orkin Mang posted:

christopher hitchens, whose talent for intellectual caricature somewhat exceeds his mastery of consecutive logic, has just issued god is not great, a book that raises the wild non sequitur almost to the level of a dialectical method, imo

He was pretty hard on atheist spirituality though. Staunch faux-toughguy, old Hitch. No time for contemplating the infinite, a man's job is to butcher the wog and drink during panel shows.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Razorwired posted:

They steal those parts from a hodgepodge of Native American poo poo. Basically if you're spiritual you take all the fun bits out of various religions and forget about all the duty and responsibility part because something something anyone can talk to god.

The main appeal of Native American religion to modern leftists is a presumed environmentalism and "connection to nature." But if you tell them about e.g Christian environmentalist theology they will hiss at you like angry cats.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
real post: spirituality is for dumb new age people who get sucked into simplistic interpretations of metaphysics that are badly understood by western scholars because it's either a) poorly translated and create vague interpretations kinda like astrology where it could apply for any situation or b) non-reflexively understood with a bias against the compared religion because western traditions are strictly exclusionist traditions where proselytizing is a major part of being a religious advocate. western accounts of religious understanding, in the beginning, were all pretty much done by missionaries trying to show how stupid the people were for believing something other than christianity. for a dumb white person living in portland oregon, they read a max mueller translation of the upanishads and change their entire lifestyle to be spiritual because "its all like connected man"even though mueller wasn't nearly qualified enough to give a thorough translation of a complicated, context sensitive book of aphorisms, poetry and philosophy. the cool part is how spirituality is often seen as "better" than being religious by modern progressives - it woul dbe "better" if people who claim to be spiritula just killed themselves because they are literally incapable of critical reasoning. atleast religious people have an identity and culture to use as an excuse

dk2m fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 27, 2015

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the upanishads are great...to wipe the rear end of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
indian shaman: my spirit animal is the noble buffalo what is ur spirit animal
every last white person: ~*~*~*~TIMBERWOFL~*~*~*~