Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AMINAL
Dec 6, 2014
We've all done it, the ghetto fix: fixing something complicated with nothing more than a penny and some poo poo found near a dumpster.

I'm currently using an app to stream my PC audio over wifi to my phone because the hard-wired 3,5mm cable keeps shorting out all the time. I don't have an extension cord and I'm too lazy to go to the store. Technically I could put my PC on my desk and use the front jack, but gently caress that, manual labor sucks. It's been a few days since it broke and it will remain broken for a while if I know myself. Also, since the app is a lite-app it says "app name, free version" very loudly every hour or so which always scares the poo poo out of me :q:

Also I once fixed a small boat engine by fastening the prop hole clip thing with a small piece of wood instead of the metal one, ran fine all the way back to shore!

I once fixed a busted PCI plastic clamp in an old dell by screwing in a screw through it and the metal clamp catch, looked really gnarly but worked for years.

Fixed my old XBOX 360 with towels wrapped around it for a while so the solder would re set from the heat.

Tell me goons, what ingenious, cheap, savant esque fixes have you figured out and used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

I got myself a job and sorted my life out so that I could afford to have things fixed or replaced when they broke.

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

:secondpost:

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
When I was a teen who had acted badly my parents took my tv and radio. I then used to a guitar amp and a 3d0 and some hacked together cabling to make a new cd player.

I once did an inadvertent ghetto fix, I was attempting to do no experience ever plumbing in a home I was living in that got it's water from a 2000 gallon tank. The pipes had gone badly leaky and I was losing the limited supply of water I had for home use. I managed to replace all the pipes but could never figure out how to keep the pressure from escaping back into the tank because I knew nothing about plumbing. I ended up putting a valve on it so every time you wanted to wash a dish or flush a toilet or whatever you would have to go physically turn the water on. I later learned from a professional that a check valve was the thing i needed but didnt know existed. http://tinyurl.com/qfnre32

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i did minor unskilled home improvement projects on my mom's house while she was trying to sell it, and now years later that realtor keeps referring people me to people as a plumber. i have no idea why.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
i made a gassing bottle out of a baby food jar, some aquarium tubing and epoxy resin

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
i had a hole in my body but i plugged it up nicely with a gentleman's cock

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Cyberball 2072 posted:

When I was a teen who had acted badly my parents took my tv and radio. I then used to a guitar amp and a 3d0 and some hacked together cabling to make a new cd player.

your parents took your tv but left your 3do and guitar amp?

that's a pretty huge parent fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMINAL
Dec 6, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

your parents took your tv but left your 3do and guitar amp?

that's a pretty huge parent fail

at least they tried :shobon:

• Locked thread