Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

What is Ticket to Ride?

Ticket to Ride is a board game that has been also been adapted for iOS and PC, which puts players in the role of one of up to five rail barons competing to complete their routes and gain the highest score (increased by both completing destination cards as well as by placing pieces on the board) by the end of the game.

Here’s link to my Steam review, if anyone still feels like reading a spiel about how good TTR is.

What are the rules for this fine game?

Here’s a modified excerpt from Wikipedia (yes I know I’m terrible, although I did modify/correct portions of it) explaining the rules:

quote:

Gameplay is identical to the board game: there are two types of cards, coloured train cars representing a type of cargo (e.g. black represents coal cars), and destination cards which feature two city destinations (e.g. Chicago to Miami). Each player is dealt three destination cards at the start of the game, and must choose at least two of them (note: this is for the 1910 board - different boards have different amounts that you’re initially dealt). They are also dealt six randomly selected train cards.

During their turn players may draw train cards, a new destination card, or claim a coloured route on their turn. To claim a route, a player must pay with a combination of same-coloured cards including locomotives which serve as wild cards. Routes that are coloured grey can be claimed with any colour - however it must be claimed only using a combination of the same colour cards and locomotives/wild cards (e.g. a six-grey route couldn’t be claimed with a combination of red and green train cards, but could be with a combination of orange and locomotive cards). Once a route is claimed, no other player may claim it; some routes feature double routes which allow up to two players to claim it, but only if four or five players are playing. In two or three-player games, the double routes can only be claimed by one person. The players immediately earn points for each successful route they claim. At the end of the game, players earn the points listed on the destination card. If a player decides to pick a new destination card, he draws three cards and may choose any of the cards; however, the player must pick at least one destination.

The final turn before the game ends is initiated when one of the players has less than three of their train tokens/pieces remaining. Players are given bonuses for completed destinations, and penalized for unrealized destinations, the amount of the bonus/penalty being displayed on the face of the card. The player with the longest contiguous route and/or the most completed destinations can also earn an additional bonus, depending on game mode/board selected.

If/when the above rules inevitably fail to cover some aspects of the game, please feel free to refer to the below PDF that Days of Wonder have made for the board game version of TTR:
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/108200/manuals/tt_rules_en.pdf?t=1428400470

That’s all well and good, but where do I buy this magnificent game?

You can buy the game on Steam HERE (I’d recommend getting the complete pack myself, but up to you). :siren: Please ensure that you have at least purchased the USA 1910 board, as this is the one we will primarily be playing on! :siren:

Alternatively you could in theory get it on an iDevice, as it has cross-platform multiplayer - although I’ve had issues where the iPad player had to host it, otherwise not all parties could join the game, so if you choose this option, do so at your own risk.

Tournament outline

We’ll be playing a double-elimination game, which will begin shortly after sign-ups close on the 11th of May.

The board that Bubz and I have picked for us to compete on is of course the ‘USA 1910’ board, from the last tournament. However in the event of a tie, a random board will be selected for the two (or more) contestants who have tied to play on, to determine the victor. (In the event of a second tie, a new randomly-selected board will be chosen)

In addition to this, if a player is unable to compete for a round due to timezone differences, work, personal reasons, etc. they may select someone to stand in for them - a champion. If that person happens to win, the contestant who that champion represented will progress to the next round.
On the topic the of round progression, the planned round time-frame at this early point in the tournament will be one week. This is of course subject to change, depending on how quickly everyone is able to get the ball rolling and complete their matches.

Finally, the winner will receive :10bux::10bux: that can be redeemed on Steam, or potentially somewhere else, if it doesn't require me to create a million accounts and accepts PayPal. (Also, the winner will have to advise me on when and what they want it spent on, as I won't necessarily remember to pester you about it, after the victor has been declared)

(However, I am mindful that some of these rules may not impress all of you. In which case, please feel free to raise your concerns, as these rules aren’t concrete and can be subject to change, if they prove to be unpopular/unfair)

Contestants

If you wish to join, please post with your Steam ID (if applicable), as well as your timezone and any DLC/board restrictions (e.g. 'all but USA Mega', or 'USA 1910 only')

pre:
Name/Steam ID      |        Timezone        | DLC limitations
bowmore            |   (UTC+10:00) Sydney   | N/A - Complete
Bubz (Host)        |  (UTC+10:00) Brisbane  | USA 1910 only
Factor Mystic      |  (UTC-05:00) US East   | N/A - Complete
Fredrik1           |    (UTC-02:00) CET     | Europe, Switzerland, Asia only
LawfulWaffle       |  (UTC-05:00) US East   | USA 1910 only
OptimusShe         |  (UTC-05:00) US East   | USA 1910 only
Paul.Power         |    (UTC+01:00 BST)     | N/A - Complete
Random Stranger    | (UTC-06:00) US Central | N/A - Complete
Robust Laser       |(UTC-07:00) Pacific Time| USA 1910 + Switzerland only
RYang              |  (UTC-05:00) US East   | USA 1910 only
Shadow225          |          US            | USA 1910 + Europe only
Sodomy Non Sapiens |  (UTC+09:30) Adelaide  | USA 1910 + Europe only

Potential Champions/Stand-in Players:
Jabor              |  (UTC+12:00) Auckland  | N/A - Complete
Major Isoor (Host) |  (UTC+09:30) Adelaide  | N/A - Complete
Raditts            |  (UTC-05:00) US East   | N/A - Complete
:siren:
Join the goon TTR Steam group, for any future games and events!
:siren:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 25, 2015

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Toot toot bitches! Come train with us!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I really enjoyed this last time, would recommend again. Unfortunately I don't have time to properly participate myself, but I'll be following along and I'm happy to sub in for a game here or there if anyone needs it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bowmore

bowmore fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 28, 2015

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

All aboard the pain train :getin:. Steam name TDFitz. Timezone is UTC +9:30 (Adelaide).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Steam name: Random Stranger. Time Zone: US Central (UTC -6). I got myself the full set of DLC.

Also, I have a spare copy of the base game sitting in my Steam inventory if anyone wants it...

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm in. I have base, USA 1910, and Europe.

Steamid: bigboswell

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
I'm in. I have the base board and 1910. I live on US east coast (GMT -5).

SteamID: optimusshr

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Steam name: Random Stranger. Time Zone: US Central (UTC -6). I got myself the full set of DLC.

Also, I have a spare copy of the base game sitting in my Steam inventory if anyone wants it...

Just to confirm, this is you, right? http://steamcommunity.com/id/RandomStranger

Added everyone but Shadow and Optimus at this point - getting there, though!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Just to confirm, this is you, right? http://steamcommunity.com/id/RandomStranger

You actually have me added already from Pillars of Eternity trade. My current name is just Big.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, that's me.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright then cool, everyone's in the OP now, and I believe you should all be on my friends list now (or invited to be, anyway)

EDIT: vvv You too

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 28, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Steam id: http://steamcommunity.com/id/factormystic/
Timezone: EST
DLC: I have Europe, Legendary Asia, Switzerland, and USA 1910

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
This sounds fun.

Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/cybrspce95
Timezone: PDT (UTC -7)
DLC: 1910 and Switzerland.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright, everyone up to here's been added in. Also, I ninja-edited in a prize, as I forgot to do so when I originally posted the thread - :20bux: (PayPal only though - no CC) is on offer to the victor, so let's see some train carnage, when the games begin! :D

EDIT: vvv Someone's gettin' serious :getin:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 30, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Updating that I have all available DLC

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ooh, fun.

Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/paulpower4
Timezone: BST (UTC +1)
DLC: 1910, Europe, Switzerland, Legendary Asia

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'd like to throw my conductor's hat into the ring. I only have the 1910 map for now, but I'm willing to upgrade in the event of a tie.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lawfulwaffle/
Timezone: EDT (UTC -4) / EST (UTC -5) (Ohio represent!)

Thank you, Random Stranger, for sharing the train love. Hopefully my matches against my fiancée have prepared me for the competition.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 30, 2015

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
The OP is up to date again. Starting to get some decent numbers, now - this ought to get interesting

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is the only one that has been run since I ran the first one?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bowmore posted:

Is the only one that has been run since I ran the first one?

Yeah, pretty sure it's just been yours, someone else's (name escapes me - couldn't find the thread either) and Bubz/mine now. We really need to get more group games going I think, even if it's all outside of tournaments and just via the Steam group.

EDIT: Speaking of which, the group link's now at the bottom of the OP, if anyone's interested

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 1, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Major Isoor posted:

We really need to get more group games going I think, even if it's all outside of tournaments and just via the Steam group.
I agree!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
This sounds fun!

Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/irregularprogramming
Timezone: CET (UTC +2)
DLC: Europe, Switzerland, Legendary Asia

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AWBf0hbeMU

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
This is looking pretty good! I'll get to work to create a simple double elimination style spreadsheet. I had a look at Challonge and it doesn't seem to cater for more than 2-player matches. Bowmore, did you have a different website that you were using at the time?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I used notepad!

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Here's a proposed double elimination bracket. It makes sure that everybody gets to play at least two games. To achieve this, there will be mostly 4-player games, although there is a 3-player round in round 5.

The general rule is that first and second place progress. Therefore, "winning" a round means coming first or second place. "Losing" a round means coming third or fourth place.

Round overview:
Round 1 will be a random seed, but we'll try to keep time zones in mind.
In Round 2, everyone who came first will play each other, everyone who came second plays each other, etc. Players who lose in both Round 1 and Round 2 are out.
In Round 3, players who have won both Round 1 and Round 2 play each other, while the other groups consist of players who won one round and lost another. Players who are not in the Winner group and who lose Round 3 are out.
In Round 4, players who have won all three rounds play against the first places of Round 3 in the Winner group. The remaining players duke it out in the Loser group for a second chance. Fourth places in each group are out.
In Round 5, the 3-player game takes place. This is to make sure that a fluke loss in Round 4 for a player who was won everything so far, does not result in instant elimination. Winners from the Round 4 Winner group play the first place of the Round 4 Loser group. The remaining players compete against each other. Third places in each group are out.
In Round 6 - Finals!

Feedback welcome - let us know if you have ideas to improve the tournament.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Looks good! The three-player round will certainly make the lead-up to the finals tense, what with double-tracks being thrown out the window

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright, sign-ups will end at approximately (well, not before, but possibly a bit after) 6:30PM UTC+09:30 (Adelaide) - or 9:00AM GMT on Monday 11/05/15, unless I'm mistaken.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sweet

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
One hour left! I might need to join in too I suppose, to keep things even - unless someone else joins in at the last minute (feel free!)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 11, 2015

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
:siren: After discussion with Bubz, sign-ups will remain open for another day, until 6:30PM UTC+09:30 // 9:00AM GMT, as I had forgotten to put a last-chance post in threads other than this one! :shobon: Hopefully we can get a nice even number of contestants.

RYang
Dec 5, 2012
If I'm not too late and there's room available, I'd like to join. Last tournament was really fun and was what got me to try out this game in the first place.

Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/salty53/
Expansions: 1910 only

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

RYang posted:

If I'm not too late and there's room available, I'd like to join. Last tournament was really fun and was what got me to try out this game in the first place.

Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/salty53/
Expansions: 1910 only

Alright cool, you've been added!

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Cool, that gives us 12 players. It makes a double elimination table like I did before a bit more complicated. I'll have a play with some options later tonight - we might switch to a slightly different structure initially. More to follow!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
:siren: Alrighty, sign-ups have ended for real :siren:

We'll get this show on the roadtracks once Bubz has allocated everyone to a game, then from that point there'll be two weeks for everyone to get their results in! (Although naturally if everyone gets it in before then we'll commence the next round at that point, rather than waiting the full period)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well chop chop then

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Alright, I've changed things around a little to accommodate a 12-player tournament. The bad news is that we lost a round in the competition. The good news is that we are now all guaranteed to play three matches and we no longer need a weird 3-player match!

The plan is to start off with a 3 stage round robin tournament. Since we're all going to be playing each other, time zones don't really factor into the groups. Each of the first three games gives you one, two, three or four points if you come first, second, third or fourth respectively. At the end of the third round, we tally everyone's points. The eight people with the fewest points have done the best (first place is 1 point). The four people with the most points across the first three rounds are out of the competition.

After that, we have the four players with the lowest score in the Upper 4 group, and the four players with the highest score in the Lower 4. In Round 4, the two players who come third and fourth are out.

Finally - the finals are in Round 5!

Hope that all makes sense - let me know if you have questions or suggestions for improvement.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Cool, first round starts now and ends on 26/05/15 at 20:30 UTC+09:30 // 11:00AM GMT at latest! Feel free to use this thread to organize times - otherwise there are links to all other contestants' Steam profiles in the OP to use, for Steam chat etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That British Guy
Nov 25, 2007

Fabulous
I think you need 6 rounds otherwise you could throw the first 3 rounds to get an easy 4th round. the 5th round should be 3rd 4th 5th and 6th and then the top 2 from that 5th round go onto the finals with the top 2 from the 4th round upper bracket. this way it incentivises you to do well so you have to play one less game. but that's just my opinion.

• Locked thread