Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dyna Soar posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sima_(mead)

Sima was originally mead, an alcoholic beverage produced by brewing a solution of honey and water. Nowadays the honey is usually replaced mostly or entirely by different kinds of sugar and there is only a very low alcohol content due to limited fermentation.

Sima's ingredients include lemon, active dry yeast, and raisins. Sugar is added as brown sugar, white sugar, honey or some combination of them. Hops are also called for in some recipes. The concoction of water and the lemon and sugars are mixed, boiled, and cooled to room temperature. The yeast is added and the mixture left to stand overnight. Then it is carefully decanted into bottles and a few raisins are added to each bottle.

we've been drinking mead for thousands of years which is why the recipe has some variation.

I can piss in an empty corona bottle and call it beer but that doesn't mean it's beer. You could get a thousand other people in a city built over viking ruins to all call it beer, but it STILL won't be beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i was talking about mead though?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

originally mead

as in

not mead anymore

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dyna Soar posted:

No you weren't, because mead is made with honey.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dyna Soar posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sima_(mead)

Sima was originally mead, an alcoholic beverage produced by brewing a solution of honey and water. Nowadays the honey is usually replaced mostly or entirely by different kinds of sugar and there is only a very low alcohol content due to limited fermentation.

Sima's ingredients include lemon, active dry yeast, and raisins. Sugar is added as brown sugar, white sugar, honey or some combination of them. Hops are also called for in some recipes. The concoction of water and the lemon and sugars are mixed, boiled, and cooled to room temperature. The yeast is added and the mixture left to stand overnight. Then it is carefully decanted into bottles and a few raisins are added to each bottle.

we've been drinking mead for thousands of years which is why the recipe has some variation.

again, english dude

"was originally" implies "is no longer" as in sima used to be mead but now is its own thing that may or may not be mead

mead is a drunk made from fermented honey theres even variant nerdlinger terms for stuff with mixed sugar sources like braggot, cyser, etc.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dyna Soar posted:

how far can you stretch your rear end in a top hat?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

quote:

The sima will be ready to drink when the raisins rise to the top of the bottles, about three to seven days depending on the temperature of the room where they are stored. It is usually served chilled. Usually, the alcohol content is low and the drink is suitable for children.

Please drink responsibly, by using a sippy cup so that you don't spill some not mead drink on your bib

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
24 hours gives it a low alcohol content, suitable for kids but it would be illegal for under 18-year olds to buy in stores. thats what we drank when i was a kid, homemade mead fermented to be as strong as beer

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
i like those types of fizzy quick-ferment drinks though, i might try this stuff next time i get a big thing of honey

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
always wanted to try mead but somehow I don't think mead made in plastic bottles is going to be a good representation

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

i like fizzy drinks though, i might try this stuff next time i get a big thing of honey

same recipe applies, just switch the brown sugar for honey. ginger works really well in mead.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Making mead is cool, unfortunately OP has not made mead and isnt cool

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Moridin920 posted:

always wanted to try mead but somehow I don't think mead made in plastic bottles is going to be a good representation

well this isn't what most call people call mead, its more like a quick mead

Short mead: Also called "quick mead". A type of mead recipe that is meant to age quickly, for immediate consumption. Because of the techniques used in its creation, short mead shares some qualities found in cider (or even light ale): primarily that it is effervescent, and often has a cidery taste. It can also be champagne-like.

Sima: a quick-fermented low-alcoholic Finnish variety, seasoned with lemon and associated with the festival of vappu.

it's usually made and drank iwthin a few days so it's probably not a big deal

also plenty of homebrew people use plastic primary fermenters but of course those are some sort of fancy durable plastic

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

plastic is better than glass because the pressure can make the glass bottles explode. i've used both and you have to be more careful with glass.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Universe Master posted:

originally mead

as in

not mead anymore

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i guess we can add the op and his whole stupid ex-viking city to the list of people we won't be seeing in valhalla

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

gggiiimmmppp posted:

i guess we can add the op and his whole stupid ex-viking city to the list of people we won't be seeing in valhalla

im sure the vikings would approve of the general principle of getting trashed cheaply. its just a translation issue to call it mead

no idea actually what the english term is for a drink made primarily from sugar syrup. undistilled rum? hooch i guess

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mange Mite posted:

no idea actually what the english term is for a drink made primarily from sugar syrup.

nigel farage

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
we call it mead (sima)

hungarians have a really varied mead culture, iirc they have 8 archetypes of mead that all have name protection under EU rules. their mead culture is like beer culture, it's awesome.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mange Mite posted:

im sure the vikings would approve of the general principle of getting trashed cheaply. its just a translation issue to call it mead

no idea actually what the english term is for a drink made primarily from sugar syrup. undistilled rum? hooch i guess

someone post a picture of a can of Sprite and title it, "Formerly mead."

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
just make hobowine , the drink of pre-21 year old SA

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i've had my fair share of hobowine, i had some a while back and sadly the nostalgia value wasn't great enough for me to enjoy it. i'll stick with mead, beer and whiskey thanks

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

no they're not you retard, any sugar will do

gently caress you op thats not true

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Chonchon posted:

gently caress you op thats not true

we're cool with it and we've been making it for thousands of years. it's ok to use cane sugar or brown sugar.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 27, 2015

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Let's argue for 10 pages about what ingredients go into mead

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
my aunt makes this rhubarb mead that's great. she grows the rhubarh on her yard. gotta make some in the summer when it's rhubarb season

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Dyna Soar posted:

we're cool with it and we've been making it for thousands of years. it's ok to use cane sugar or brown sugar.

we are not cool with this

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

I like rhubarb pie but isn't it too tart for a mead

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

"its ok to cook a steak well done"
"its ok to put pineapple on pizza"
"its ok to mix ketchup and bourbon"
"it's ok to use cane sugar or brown sugar [to make mead]"

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I like rhubarb pie but isn't it too tart for a mead

i think my aunt adds cinnamon and / or vanilla to it too.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
how to not get laid - OP

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

gggiiimmmppp posted:

"its ok to cook a steak well done"
"its ok to put pineapple on pizza"
"it's ok to use cane sugar or brown sugar [to make mead]"

these three are perfectly fine

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

dad gay. so what posted:

how to not get laid - OP

i dare you, taste my mead....

:wink:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Dyna Soar posted:

i dare you, taste my mead....

:wink:

It's hard to taste something you haven't made

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
it should be ready by the end of the week

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Mead is made by fermenting honey you loving goon

You can add other poo poo to make cyser, metheglin, melomel, pyment and other poo poo. The primary source of fermentable sugars must be honey.

What you're making is Kilju. Enjoy your sugar wine you imbecile

E:Jfc even the Wikipedia article you linked tells you you're full of poo poo.

quote:

Sima was originally mead

Could they mean that when people started using sugar water that Sima ceased to be a mead? Surely not!

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 27, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

You can add other poo poo to make cyser, metheglin, melomel, pyment and other poo poo.

nah, it's sima aka mead. idk if you're finnish since you know kilju but if you are you should know the distinction.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

You can add other poo poo to make cyser, metheglin, melomel, pyment and other poo poo. The primary source of fermentable sugars must be honey.

Sick mead ownage right here

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Dyna Soar posted:

nah, it's sima aka mead. idk if you're finnish since you know kilju but if you are you should know the distinction.

Sima isn't mead if it doesn't use honey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
you also call honey wine mead, which is considered a completely different beverage here and lots of other places

• Locked thread