Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darwoth
Jun 10, 2014
I am aware that many of you have tried it. I am also aware that many of you have heard of me and hate me. Hear me out though.

New developers.

You all know the Salem that existed in 2012-2013. Slow, lazy developers and a shitfest of noobs dying to people like me. Make no mistake, permadeath is still very much in-game. However, newbies are much safer and have an easier time protecting themselves now, due to the fact that defenses are more powerful and easier to make, criminal players are easier to track down and can be put in stocks and finally the fact that murder (and all the crime skills) is way more expensive now. Besides, it's much easier to team up now - the homestead teleport is gone, but you are now able to make a map, free of charge and easy to craft, that marks down your current location. Give the map to another player and they can use it one time to instantly port to the location you marked. Since it's easier to team up, it is also easier to survive and progress faster.

Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg. There have been so many changes since JohnCarver & co, Mortal Moments, took over. I hardly know where to begin. First of all, gluttony now makes sense. No longer do you have to wait hours and hours to glut, not even at higher levels. Primarily, each 3rd point you get up your timer is reduced by ~30 mins, increasing with your Sugar & Spice. Secondly, if you have good enough feasting equipment and gain more than 10 points in one glut session, you will gain two points instead of one each time you gain a point. 3 with 30, and so on. Finally, there are now gluttony potions. Fairly easy to craft, they reduce the timer by 3 hours, increasing with Natural Philosophy.

The mining system has been vastly improved and now resembles the HnH system vaguely. 8 levels with increased purity the farther you go down. Iron is no longer the only type of ore.

There is a tutorial. There are way more craftables. There are way more skills to study. There are weekly in-game events. There are way more foragables and animals/monsters. PvP is not limited to sword usage any more. There are more kinds of vegetables to farm and farming has been improved. Guns are not useless any more. You move quicker, making the game feel less sluggish. There is a skybox (finally). There is finally witchcraft!

Seriously, there's so much new stuff. I've missed a ton here. Go check it out for yourselves: http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=90c10d6d411b32230934805c78c3b45a

If you, on the other hand, have never heard of Salem, here's a short explanation:
You are a pilgrim in the 1600-1700s exploring the vast new world. The world being a huge sandbox with factions warring for land, peaceful farmers staying out of trouble, hunters selling their best catch and so on. It's a wide sandbox where you can make a living in pretty much any way. Crafting, farming, mining, planting, foraging, fighting... The world is your oyster. However, there is something twisted with this world. The further away you go from Providence (new Boston), the darker the world gets. Unnatural monsters start appearing. They are not the most dangerous creatures lurking in the world, though. That would be other pilgrims, searching for scalps to brag about. This game features permadeath from players and some darkness creatures. Tread lightly. However, there is an inheritance system which allows you to regain a percentage of the power and experience your deceased character had, so do not give up if you die once! Register here: http://www.salemthegame.com/

Darwoth fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwoth
Jun 10, 2014
If necessary, I could actually help a few people get started. First served.

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

I might give this game a go, though I hope I don't lose interest like I do with most mmo's.
Same username as my SA username, not sure if ign is required or username for friend registeration.

LordOfTheNoobs fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 28, 2015

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I doubt anyone actually hates you. You're just some guy despite your reputation in Salem so w/e...

As for the game itself, I noticed the dev team changed for the better. Still, I have little motivation to go back just because - lost a lot of the first timer appeal and new car feel the first time through. Maybe if there was a decent sized, varied player population, not just the old guard, as it had always been.

I'm curious why you're here trying to drum up more people - part of me wonders if it's a veteran trying to prop up a dying game they love. Couldn't blame you for that, but not a motivator to try again. Is there a good stream of new players into the game, and do they tend to stay longer than the first week or two as had always been a problem? What's player population like these days? How massive is the power differential between a new player and a veteran? How many hours of grinding at non-veteran efficiency would it take to get carpal tunnel catch up?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I'm not gonna play this but your op is like a word salad of mmo buzzwords , so instead of that, you should talk about why you like the game, and what excites you about it enough to make this weirdly self aggrandizing thread

thanks, bye

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
didn't read the op, but i read tarranon's post so im going to reconstruct the op:

hi, come play my full loot pvp (no trammel :D) mmo with lovingly crafted high risk high reward murder mechanics. this game has all the latest ideas incorporated such as regional markets, logistics that matter and a newbie friendly sensai system instead of a hand holding tutorial. the devs love the noobs but no carebear coddling happens here, haha. no really, crafters also get fantastic node-based resource spawns and a cool mini-game for making jorts and cheetos or whatever you need.

come check out our guild offsite at salemgoonlulz.org

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Salem is actually a fun little game to play and I love the loss of items on death. I'll check this game out if we get a handful of goons playing.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

did they ever add witchcraft? it was promised in beta, lol.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I hear the new devs gently caress with the playerbase harder than the original ones ever did.

Never really followed Salem in the first place so couldn't say how much of this is truth or just bitterness from burned-out vets

:spergin: http://www.scribd.com/doc/243478459/Dissolution-of-the-MM-Tribe (brought up in this thread on the original devs forum)

Can someone remind me who Darworth is again? The name is familiar.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 29, 2015

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

uh oh

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Jackard posted:

I hear the new devs gently caress with the playerbase harder than the original ones ever did.

Never really followed Salem in the first place so couldn't say how much of this is truth or just bitterness from burned-out vets

:spergin: http://www.scribd.com/doc/243478459/Dissolution-of-the-MM-Tribe (brought up in this thread on the original devs forum)

Can someone remind me who Darworth is again? The name is familiar.

He's some veteran player who has been around for a while. Had a (multiple?) high powered characters. Was involved in a ton of the early-game political drama, including a bunch of the goon deaths I'm pretty sure.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

also you should probably rewrite the OP for people who have never heard of the game, it's not a very good explanation

maybe post the thread in Games instead of a dying subforum

ps. only having 2 posts does not inspire confidence

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 29, 2015

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

We killed a dev once:

I don't know why that ketchupface girl blocked out all the other names??? But w/e.

As for the OP, I think this was referring to him:

SnatchDuster posted:

I remember a goon fucker in Salem. Not that mafia game, but Salem by the guys of H&H.

We had a nice little town of 20 or so goons, then this goon fucker brings the biggest baddest pubbie killing machine to town who proceeds to kill half of us.

All because I stole his friend's canoe.

However, population seems to be up a bit, so maybe it's doing okay under the new development:

(Today)

(2012)

I agree with Jackard that if you want any attention you should probably repost this in the parent Games forum.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
well well well Darwoth, look who became a goon.

Right before you murdered 8 or so of us last time around, you claimed you hated goons for ruining games you enjoy. What made you change your mind and what caused you to become one of us?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

join 4 prey

Darwoth
Jun 10, 2014

Ruggan posted:

I doubt anyone actually hates you. You're just some guy despite your reputation in Salem so w/e...

As for the game itself, I noticed the dev team changed for the better. Still, I have little motivation to go back just because - lost a lot of the first timer appeal and new car feel the first time through. Maybe if there was a decent sized, varied player population, not just the old guard, as it had always been.

I'm curious why you're here trying to drum up more people - part of me wonders if it's a veteran trying to prop up a dying game they love. Couldn't blame you for that, but not a motivator to try again. Is there a good stream of new players into the game, and do they tend to stay longer than the first week or two as had always been a problem? What's player population like these days? How massive is the power differential between a new player and a veteran? How many hours of grinding at non-veteran efficiency would it take to get carpal tunnel catch up?

The player base is actually up to around 800 active people per day nowadays. Definitely not a huge game yet, but by far way better than the 30 something active users Salem had during its dark days.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Darwoth sounds like a cool guy if he killed a bunch of goons in some game they probably thought they were hot poo poo griefers in.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Remake in Games imo, wanna see how this poo poo unfolds

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Just ask for the thread to be moved since it makes more sense there

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
People signed up for a perma death game and got made when they perma died, why I never

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

People signed up for a perma death game and got made when they perma died, why I never

clearly there was a witch hunt and some goons were caught as witches.

and so it goes in salem

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Afgoonistan was fun for a few weeks. I think the most hilarious parts of the game was having goons make the trek from providence to Goon Camp A, only for them to arrive, see the remains and russians running amok, and Goon survivors holed up even further out into the wilderness in new Goon Camp B.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Afgoonistan was fun for a few weeks. I think the most hilarious parts of the game was having goons make the trek from providence to Goon Camp A, only for them to arrive, see the remains and russians running amok, and Goon survivors holed up even further out into the wilderness in new Goon Camp B.

Rho i dont recommend buying Albion or backing Crowfall necessarily but you should look into them they are on this subforum

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I wouldn't buy Albion but I'd definitely play it

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I used to wish this game was good . Is it good. No

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Darwoth posted:

I am aware that many of you have tried it. I am also aware that many of you have heard of me and hate me. Hear me out though.

New developers.

You all know the Salem that existed in 2012-2013. Slow, lazy developers and a shitfest of noobs dying to people like me. Make no mistake, permadeath is still very much in-game. However, newbies are much safer and have an easier time protecting themselves now, due to the fact that defenses are more powerful and easier to make, criminal players are easier to track down and can be put in stocks and finally the fact that murder (and all the crime skills) is way more expensive now. Besides, it's much easier to team up now - the homestead teleport is gone, but you are now able to make a map, free of charge and easy to craft, that marks down your current location. Give the map to another player and they can use it one time to instantly port to the location you marked. Since it's easier to team up, it is also easier to survive and progress faster.

Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg. There have been so many changes since JohnCarver & co, Mortal Moments, took over. I hardly know where to begin. First of all, gluttony now makes sense. No longer do you have to wait hours and hours to glut, not even at higher levels. Primarily, each 3rd point you get up your timer is reduced by ~30 mins, increasing with your Sugar & Spice. Secondly, if you have good enough feasting equipment and gain more than 10 points in one glut session, you will gain two points instead of one each time you gain a point. 3 with 30, and so on. Finally, there are now gluttony potions. Fairly easy to craft, they reduce the timer by 3 hours, increasing with Natural Philosophy.

The mining system has been vastly improved and now resembles the HnH system vaguely. 8 levels with increased purity the farther you go down. Iron is no longer the only type of ore.

There is a tutorial. There are way more craftables. There are way more skills to study. There are weekly in-game events. There are way more foragables and animals/monsters. PvP is not limited to sword usage any more. There are more kinds of vegetables to farm and farming has been improved. Guns are not useless any more. You move quicker, making the game feel less sluggish. There is a skybox (finally). There is finally witchcraft!

Seriously, there's so much new stuff. I've missed a ton here. Go check it out for yourselves: http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=90c10d6d411b32230934805c78c3b45a

If you, on the other hand, have never heard of Salem, here's a short explanation:
You are a pilgrim in the 1600-1700s exploring the vast new world. The world being a huge sandbox with factions warring for land, peaceful farmers staying out of trouble, hunters selling their best catch and so on. It's a wide sandbox where you can make a living in pretty much any way. Crafting, farming, mining, planting, foraging, fighting... The world is your oyster. However, there is something twisted with this world. The further away you go from Providence (new Boston), the darker the world gets. Unnatural monsters start appearing. They are not the most dangerous creatures lurking in the world, though. That would be other pilgrims, searching for scalps to brag about. This game features permadeath from players and some darkness creatures. Tread lightly. However, there is an inheritance system which allows you to regain a percentage of the power and experience your deceased character had, so do not give up if you die once! Register here: http://www.salemthegame.com/

oh

Navraz
Sep 17, 2007

I blame it on my own sick pride
Sugartime Jones
Salem was fun for a while when we lived in darkness, but it gets boring to murder deer and bears after a while.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

these games were never fun and goons only played them because they could talk about how they were Totally Owning Those Pubbies until they got owned then they complained about bad game design

see: every permadeath zombie game

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

When Salem first went into beta Goons did a protection racket thing with some random pubbie. Good times! :)

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
What a terrible way to start your post. I literally stopped reading after the first sentence.

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

Helmholz posted:

What a terrible way to start your post. I literally stopped reading after the first sentence.

:whitewater:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Helmholz posted:

My eyes kind of glazed over the second and third sentences, and much of the rest.

this is MMOHMO's worst OP of 2015

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Jackard posted:

My eyes kind of glazed over the second and third sentences, and much of the rest.

this is MMOHMO's worst OP of 2015

Do you want to travel weeks on end to my leanto?

Do you want to grind gathering mushrooms in the forest?

Do you like getting curbstomped by Russians?

Have I got the game for you

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Silento posted:

When Salem first went into beta Goons did a protection racket thing with some random pubbie. Good times! :)
thats a nice pot you have there

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It`s good the funniest players playing this bad game took over development from the weird Scandinavian libertarian developers, but I don`t think they`ve really addressed the issues that made the game bad.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Dreylad posted:

It`s good the funniest players playing this bad game took over development from the weird Scandinavian libertarian developers, but I don`t think they`ve really addressed the issues that made the game bad.
Haven't heard this viewpoint before. Tell me some more...

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Do you want to travel weeks on end to my leanto?

Do you want to grind gathering mushrooms in the forest?

Do you like getting curbstomped by Russians?

Have I got the game for you

It's like Rust with fewer reasons to play.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
we still hate you Darworth

rip goontown

edit: nah really the blame's on the original devs for building a broken purity/gluttony system that literally godmoded the few that figured it out and deciding in their weird libertarianism to not revert the gains when it was clear the system didn't work. oh and that guy that ratted our location out to you.

TheSwizzler fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 14, 2015

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
i tried this game it was incredibly boring even by mmo standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Berious posted:

i tried this game it was incredibly boring even by mmo standards
yup i ran around for a few hours and then realized there were better ways to waste my time

• Locked thread