Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Cultural primer : don't gently caress with the olds, you're not Korean, please understand; traffic laws are fluid

Just be extra considerate to a fault and you'll be fine. It depends on what you are doing cash wise, but most places will take visa or mastercard of you don't pull cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

JohnGalt posted:

I am going to Korea in June to visit with family for two weeks. How much spending money should I have with me? I haven't been there since I was really young and don't want to be a burden.

Also, what kind of cultural things do I need to keep in mind to not come off rear end a rude asshat?

Do you have any family you can ask? Like with anywhere you're going to have to go by family rules. And like with anywhere you're going to have people saying "all of our people are this way or do this" as long as you're polite you'll be fine. Probably best to be a bit reserved in what you say at first and be excessively complimentary. Watch what people do, but hopefully if you're family they can excuse some minor cultural slip ups that everyone makes.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

I know that my Visa status can be bumped if I privately teach/tutor, but what if I teach guitar or dance under the table?

fffffffffffffffffff

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Grand Fromage posted:

If you're teaching guitar to college kids you probably have nothing to worry about. I would not private tutor kids, I've heard too many stories of vindictive parents. Teaching other expats is generally safe since nobody wants to be involved with whatever those white people are up to.

THE LUMMOX posted:

fffffffffffffffffff

Makes sense, thanks for the replies.

Currently waiting for recruiters to wake up and respond to my emails. Finding "work appropriate pictures at social gatherings" was a fun exercise.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Makes sense, thanks for the replies.

Currently waiting for recruiters to wake up and respond to my emails. Finding "work appropriate pictures at social gatherings" was a fun exercise.

You should be using as many recruiters as possible and directly applying to schools, if you haven't been doing so already.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Yeah. And don't trust what the recruiters say about the working environment at schools blindly. Check reviews and forums, too. Recruiters said the best school in my area for foreigners was the one that just had three people do a coordinated midnight run.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Pick based on the location, hours and vacation. No matter what you do you are never going to get an answer that will jive with what your work will be like for you.

The hagwon I worked at had a pretty good reputation before I got there. I saw one person get persecuted and fired because the boss wrote instructions on the back of an old homework assignment and put it on his desk with the homework side up. Surprise, he didn't see it. Then there was the Themata thing, which was pretty well cataloged if you want to read it, went down late 2012. Yet more than half the people we worked with would tell you the place was alright. I visited it again right before I left and the people there scoffed when I told them the owners have a temper. They'll learn.

Cities are also down to personal taste but you can find hundreds of personal tastes to consider rather than, best case, one or two via phone probably being stared at by their boss as they talk.

You can make a pretty educated guess on what city/town you will like. This is a one year job you are applying for. Check the black list sites. Read and post your contract. when you get there keep your head down, make sure they pay you and put yourself in a situation where you can enjoy yourself outside of work. Like Bundang.

Go to Bundang.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Jesus some mother fucker shot and killed random strangers before committing suicide while in reserve army training. One person died and 3 injured.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
A long shot, but is anybody looking to buy a bike? Specifically this one:

http://seoul.craigslist.co.kr/mcy/5002968042.html

My friend is leaving Korea in a week and hasn't been able to sell it yet.

I know he'll take way lower than the asking price.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

ladron posted:

A long shot, but is anybody looking to buy a bike? Specifically this one:

http://seoul.craigslist.co.kr/mcy/5002968042.html

My friend is leaving Korea in a week and hasn't been able to sell it yet.

I know he'll take way lower than the asking price.

If he's willing to take lower, than he should lower the asking price. That is ridiculously expensive, especially considering he can't bring it with him.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

If he's willing to take lower, than he should lower the asking price. That is ridiculously expensive, especially considering he can't bring it with him.

It's not ridiculously expensive in a country where 50cc scooters are being hawked for 2 million. Thanks for the great advice, though, I'll be sure to pass it on.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

I need to find out when you are selling things. Get me some 'reasonably priced' items for pennies.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

For a Japanese bike with medium miles that's not crazy. If my bike was scrapped I'd take a look at it, but I should be picking up mine from the shop today.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Yeah, I already have a big cruiser or I'd pick it up myself. Like I said, a long shot just in case anyone was looking for a bike...

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Man oh man Ashley Madison dug right in as soon as adultery was decriminalized. I'm seeing those ads everywhere now.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Onion Knight posted:

Man oh man Ashley Madison dug right in as soon as adultery was decriminalized. I'm seeing those ads everywhere now.

They're all over SA even.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Hey all, it's me, that guy who lived in Daegu for 5 years but was quite quiet. I moved to Taiwan 4 months ago and really enjoy how much more relaxed people are here.

Anyhow, one of my Korean friends who is a professional Korean instructor is looking at taking a Korean language teaching position at Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama and has been peppering me with questions which I don't have the answers to, so I'm turning to ya'll.

First, anyone ever lived in that part of Alabama? I see it's quite close to Atlanta, Georgia. What are the general things a sub-150cm tall Korean girl should worry about? I'm more concerned for her safety because she is quite short. She's looking at staying there no more than two years.

Next, the outgoing instructor is trying to sell her a car for $8,000 which was supposedly bought for $10,000 two years ago. I suppose I should ask Automotive Insanity, but where can she go to not get fleeced?

*edit; oh yeah, if you know anyone in that part of the USA interested in taking Korean, she is a great teacher. Since the new government scholarship for foreign students started up she's been preparing students for Topik level 4/5 who move on to Seoul universities.

politicorific fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 14, 2015

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Onion Knight posted:

:heysexy: :getin:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
wrong thread

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

politicorific posted:

Anyhow, one of my Korean friends who is a professional Korean instructor is looking at taking a Korean language teaching position at Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama and has been peppering me with questions which I don't have the answers to, so I'm turning to ya'll.

My cousins are from Alabama and two of them went to Auburn. I'll ask them and get back to you. BTW Birmingham, AL is not safe at all, just a heads up on that.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Yeaaaaah, that's gonna be a weird time. I can't imagine there's much of a Korean community around as there isn't a military base near by and it's not on the coast.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
You'd be surprised. I helped correct speeches for a bunch of Korean university students who were trying to win internships at Korean companies with operations in the south. A good acquaintance spent two years in Georgia making doing accounting there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Koreans end up in weird places somehow. Every Korean friend I have who lived in the US was in Iowa or Idaho.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know there is a big Korean population in Atlanta. But outside of that it probably depends on a number of things.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

DontAskKant posted:

I need to find out when you are selling things. Get me some 'reasonably priced' items for pennies.

If you're leaving the country, you have to take a loss on stuff. I bought a furniture set (desk, monitor, chair, bed) for 150,000 won, because the guy was moving and would rather get something for his furniture than moving out and getting nothing for it. That's pretty much always a godo way to get deals in an expat community with high turnover like Korea. If you try to sell the bicycle you bought 5 years ago for 500,000 won for 450,000 won, don't be surprised if there aren't a lot of takers. I usually end up giving stuff to my friends. If they don't need it, I give it to a charity shop because I would rather they make the money than make a post like this on craigslist.

politicorific posted:

Hey all, it's me, that guy who lived in Daegu for 5 years but was quite quiet. I moved to Taiwan 4 months ago and really enjoy how much more relaxed people are here.

Auburn is cool, it's a college town. Small but friendly and convenient. I've been there a few times for football games, I always had a blast.

quote:

Next, the outgoing instructor is trying to sell her a car for $8,000 which was supposedly bought for $10,000 two years ago. I suppose I should ask Automotive Insanity, but where can she go to not get fleeced?

Have her get the make and model and check kelly blue book.

Gildiss posted:

I know there is a big Korean population in Atlanta. But outside of that it probably depends on a number of things.

Auburn isn't that far from Atlanta; if she has a car she could go there on the weekends.

FINGERBLASTER69 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 16, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Gildiss posted:

Makes sense given the Emory connection. The author of the national Korean Anthem; the 26th Prime Minister of South Korea; Joseon era activist Yun Chi-Ho; the current (and at least one previous) President of the Korean Sociological Association; the 8th President of the Republic of Korea and many actors/actresses/singers in the Korean Wave have attended or worked at Emory.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I'm in the Atlanta area and Auburn isn't too bad. They have the big Kia plant nearby, complete with imported korean execs so auburn would be better than an hour in any given direction.
PM me/ Kakao @ Vapourware and I'll point her at my wife who can answer her questions directly.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Thanks China for your lovely unclean air.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Been like 30 AQI here all day.

:smugdog:

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
MERS is getting out of hand I guess?

Good luck out there, folks.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Yeah, just like SARS and bird flu and Ebola and everything else before it.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Hopefully MERS is gone, before I come back on the 22nd...

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
May be time to stop spitting, coughing, and not washing your hands after making GBS threads.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Why? Silly foreigner and your strange ideas.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Why? Silly foreigner and your strange ideas.

Hahaha, yeah. Those Koreans. I bet they'd be just baffled.

Come on guys.

Edit: I mean the lack of soap in any bathroom and the tendency, especially among the older population, to spit and cough without thought is bad. But mimicing a poor befuddled Korean is still racist.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 4, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

How racist of you to infer a racial component to something that mentions none whatsoever. :captainpop:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Oh, I'm sure you meant someone besides Koreans. Probably far broader, definitely. The joke would still have made sense.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

100% applicable where I live now, except no MERS here yet. Are you implying all Asians are the same? :eyepop: I'm going to have to forward this to tumblr.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

You're in the Korea thread and your comment is in response to a guy talking about Koreans. Even if you were for some reason mimicking asians in general, or mimicking the Chinese, it doesn't fix anything. Like I said, personal hygiene is absolutely an issue here, but it doesn't make pantomiming a befuddled local okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
I saw one woman cough and spit on a bus. Lots of people saw her spit a loogie inside the bus, but no one said anything. I said "침" and tried to give her a tissue, but she yelled at me instead of taking it and spitting in it.

Coincidentally, I got bronchitis a couple days later that was so bad they tested me for TB and lung cancer.

This same woman woman liked to yell at me when I opened a window after Spring started and it was hot on the bus. We got in great.

She's not all Koreans though. Just one crazy lady I rode the bus with for a couple years. Bet she'd be an great host for MERS.