Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Andro posted:

Is up-skirt photography a good excuse?

Um, when is it NOT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Onion Knight posted:

e: I am just saying that before I met my wife I went to some parties there and they were very good parties to go to for me, a single dude.

Hmm, maybe I need to go there next time I'm in Seoul.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I used to know an exchange student from Ewha back when I was University. She told me that the girls there have a contest every year to see who can get with the hottest guy.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Pretty sure that every university in the history of universities has had that contest all year, every year

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Please quarantine everyone from Middle East tia.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I need to catch up with my school and ask them how nuts the MERS thing has been.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Aside from my students making jokes about having MERS whenever someone coughs, you'd never know it was a thing down here in Daegu.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
You have a better chance of being hit and killed by a car than actually catching MERS.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Raphisonfire posted:

You have a better chance of being hit and killed by a car than actually catching MERS.

Can I make MERS pay me money if I get sick?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Raphisonfire posted:

You have a better chance of being hit and killed by a car than actually catching MERS almost anything people are scared of because of mass media.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Can I make MERS pay me money if I get sick?

Well if you get MERS and take one for the team, we can find out? :agesilaus:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm upset, why I still can't get cheap tickets to Seoul. Are real-estate prices dropping like mad there?

Oh and enjoy this : http://hongkong.coconuts.co/2015/06/11/hong-kong-exchange-students-removed-south-korean-university-lecture-wearing-face-masks

quote:

Two Hong Kong students on exchange at a university in Seoul told journalists that they were removed from a lecture for wearing surgical masks.
The students, from CityU, have been on an exchange programme at Sungkyunkwan University in Seoul since February.
They now plan to return to Hong Kong before the semester's end.
One of the students, surnamed Tong, told TVB reporters that she and a friend wore face masks to a lecture as a precaution against the MERS outbreak.
The lecturer asked the pair to leave after they refused to take off their masks.
“Go out, I don’t want you here”, he said.
The lecturer acknowledged Hong Kong’s SARS outbreak in 2003 but he believed that the exchange students should not “bring sensitive feelings and emotions into [his] class and Korea”, Tong said.
Tong also criticised South Korean society for their low awareness about the outbreak, and said she has seen people spitting on the street on multiple occasions (which of course, also happens in Hong Kong).
She believes their indifference could escalate the MERS situation in South Korea.
The university initially responded that some teaching staff regarded wearing face masks to class as a “disrespectful”, and the pair could be barred from continuing their studies if they continued to insist on wearing them.
The students were later permitted to wear masks to classes after an intervention by their home institution, according to Ming Pao.
Steve Chung from CUHK’s Faculty of Social Science told Mingpao that MERS awareness in the South Korean society has been increasing.
Chung, who was also in the country at the time, has witnessed more people taking more precautionary measures in public areas, including wearing face masks on trains.

And this is getting a bit out of hand in China

http://shanghaiist.com/2015/06/12/south-koreans-shanghai-film-festival-mers.php

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Going out to itewon tonight. Any suggestions on places to go?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Don't go to Itaewon.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Why not? There is cool stuff. But what kind of stuff are you looking for?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Bugblatter posted:

Why not? There is cool stuff. But what kind of stuff are you looking for?
Looking for MERS, duh.

And apparently if you wear mask at work they'll tell you how selfish you are :v:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Whizbang posted:

Don't go to Itaewon.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

I'm upset, why I still can't get cheap tickets to Seoul. Are real-estate prices dropping like mad there?

Oh and enjoy this : http://hongkong.coconuts.co/2015/06/11/hong-kong-exchange-students-removed-south-korean-university-lecture-wearing-face-masks

And this is getting a bit out of hand in China

http://shanghaiist.com/2015/06/12/south-koreans-shanghai-film-festival-mers.php

Following links in this article I found my Long lost brother

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Following links in this article I found my Long lost brother

What a hero.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
so I guess in the end we survived the MERS outbreak of 2015

hodex
Aug 2, 2014

potato emoji

AmbientParadox posted:

Good, I'm coming in a week.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

AmbientParadox posted:

and the only poo poo I got canceled was stuff I actually WANTED to do

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I got a 4 day weekend out of it, but I have to work this Thursday and Saturday.

I'm hoping the kids will be mostly absent, but I'm guessing the parents will love having them be out on a Saturday.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I left the country a few months ago so I can't remember if I posted this movie I made.

https://vimeo.com/125579531

Thought Busan goons might be interested.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Please re-add me to the KaoKao chat, my username is BenchShrimps. Thanks!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Goon wedding happened. Was pleasantly uneventful.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

AmbientParadox posted:

Goon wedding happened. Was pleasantly uneventful.
Disappointing :v:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

THE LUMMOX is so close to winning korea!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aesis posted:

Disappointing :v:

:mediocre:

e: A Dothraki goon wedding without at least three deaths is considered a dull affair.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 29, 2015

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Just in time for summer, some dudes compiled an up to date food map for Busan

http://tinyurl.com/osq7mmt

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Sharky's is listed three times but HQ isn't once?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

joedevola posted:

Sharky's is listed three times

Yeah, that's not okay.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I'm heading to Korea soon, and I have a pretty good grasp on most of what I'm doing (and the OP was very helpful for general travel tips), but my one lasting concern is about currency exchange.

I have a visa card through bank of america, and I was wondering what people recommend I do to exchange my us dollars for won. Should I do it in the states somehow? Is it advisable to do it in ATM's over there? I know to generally avoid airport conversion booths.

Typically when I travel I use ATM's and get big sums at a time (to minimize transaction costs), but I've never been to Korea so I don't know if there are any better ways. I've also used Xoom before but they don't seem to have service in Korea.

If anyone has any good resources or advice, it would be appreciated.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Use ATMs in Korea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ATM is generally the best bet. Any KEB bank will have a global ATM that takes your debit card.

There are other global ATMs (they're marked in English) but KEB is the easiest to remember since they always do.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If your card has a chip or whatever the gently caress it should work. My Chase sapphire card works no probs anywhere over there that you can use plastic.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
If you really want to save some change you can exchange the bulk of your money at money changers in Myeongdong. The exchange rate is generally near the base rate. But depends on how much your time and effort is worth.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

DontAskKant posted:

If you really want to save some change you can exchange the bulk of your money at money changers in Myeongdong. The exchange rate is generally near the base rate. But depends on how much your time and effort is worth.

Seconding this. My parents were here in May and they were decidedly pleased with the rate they got in Myeongdong, more so than anywhere else.

But my mom hates kimchi, so I don't know how much weight you should give their preferences...

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

DontAskKant posted:

Banks charge commission and don't offer good rate. Itaewon or Myeongdong are both good and many exchange shops will offer decent rate for USD because it's circulated fast (think of rich Koreans stacking up USD somewhere in case poo poo hits the fan :v:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Oh man. Nothing beats the rate I got in Cleveland that would have had me buying 708 won for every dollar when the base exchange rate was 1080 to $1. Plus a $15 fee. ATMs would be fine.