Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it seems really overcomplicated. My guess is that it's some kind of an eugenics deal - you have a small interbred community, you need to refix the gene pool somehow and prune the people you don't want in it, so you send them outside to get lost and possibly breed (hence operation dandelion - dandelion seeds, throw them to the wind). So you train your unwanted folks in gathering the folks you want and then have Marek kick them out while delivering the loot. Which seems way too complicated.

Admittedly, the main piece of evidence for this theory is that Shay and Alex don't exactly seem to be the brightest bulbs in the genepool, as opposed to Valla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

On the other hand, Vella seems pretty well suited to being a warlord and/or terrorist considering her tendencies. But yeah, considering how talkative Marek is, he seems like the cackling evil type who really takes a lot of pride in what he does.

More importantly, just how does Hope's hair work? I can only assume she just wrapped it all around a ball.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ramos posted:

More importantly, just how does Hope's hair work? I can only assume she just wrapped it all around a ball.

That's the subject of Broken Age Act 3.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
My question is: why did Shay's mom and dad stop physically interacting with him?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Ramos posted:

This question will sort of be answered.

Mraagvpeine posted:

My question is: why did Shay's mom and dad stop physically interacting with him?

This one not as much.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe Marekai started to keep them busy with bullshit "problems" on the ship to distract them or something?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Marekai's line about not knowing exactly how dangerous Vella is seems significant, but I don't know what it might mean. Is he hoping she can put an end to the system they have in place? This would hardly be the first time he's been less than honest about his motives.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm very much getting the impression that this may have been rewritten between act one and act two. All the coddling and babying of Shay makes perfect sense when done by a computer, not so much by a real mother, not even the most determined of helicopter moms.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Marekai's line about not knowing exactly how dangerous Vella is seems significant, but I don't know what it might mean. Is he hoping she can put an end to the system they have in place? This would hardly be the first time he's been less than honest about his motives.

I doubt it's anything so complicated. Just bad foreshadowing.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Hey cool, part 2.

quote:

Filling the holes in our family tree.

So Marekai needed a 14 year-old boy to select 14 year-old girls to "fill in the holes in the family tree".

He said they acheived genetic purity but those outside the dam have something tjose within lack.

They're kidnapping the girls for breeding purposes. That's lovely.

Vela, initiate plan Burn Everything The gently caress Down".

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
New episode!

Sorry it took so long, I was busy making informative diagrams like this one:

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 13, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That's a bit of a mean trick to pull. Is there ever an in-game hint system saying that clues may be found in the other character's session?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Samovar posted:

That's a bit of a mean trick to pull. Is there ever an in-game hint system saying that clues may be found in the other character's session?

If you fumble around enough Shay will say something like "I bet I could figure this out if I was back on my ship..."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Once again amazing job with the diagram, this puzzle would leave me totally stumped. Er, no offense to the much-tormented tree.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I loved your graphic but that puzzle is bullshit. That's one of those cross-story-clue moments you were talking about earlier right?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

ViggyNash posted:

I loved your graphic but that puzzle is bullshit. That's one of those cross-story-clue moments you were talking about earlier right?

Thanks and yes. There are a few more of them coming too.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Yahtzee went and reviewed Act 2 of this today, and the cross-story clue thing was definitely a sticking point. :v: (Not linked for possible mild spoilers, just in case.) It's certainly a case of using out-of-character knowledge that doesn't work in-universe (unless you assume Shay brute forces the solution).

It doesn't really bother me, to be honest. Even the first game didn't feel like finishing one story before starting the other was really in the spirit of the game's design, despite it being totally doable.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

Yahtzee went and reviewed Act 2 of this today, and the cross-story clue thing was definitely a sticking point. :v: (Not linked for possible mild spoilers, just in case.) It's certainly a case of using out-of-character knowledge that doesn't work in-universe (unless you assume Shay brute forces the solution).

It doesn't really bother me, to be honest. Even the first game didn't feel like finishing one story before starting the other was really in the spirit of the game's design, despite it being totally doable.

I think I'd be more fine with it if there was precedent or a lead-in of some sort, but the game just arbitrarily expects you do realize that's now a mechanic.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Nah, this is still within the realm of easily doable, given some time. Better than the timing bits earlier with Vella at least. It wouldn't be too odd for you to go back and look at Shay's picture at least a few times and after seeing those symbols once, you'd be able to match them immediately. From there, it's just testing until something pops together.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

ViggyNash posted:

I think I'd be more fine with it if there was precedent or a lead-in of some sort, but the game just arbitrarily expects you do realize that's now a mechanic.

I agree that the game should somehow encourage you to switch characters more. Maybe some kind of tutorial puzzle earlier on that very explicitly shows that sometimes the hints to the solutions are in the other characters area. As I said before Shay will eventually comment about a hint being back on his ship but Vella has no such dialogue so if you try to just power through her story first (as I did) you eventually just be stuck with no Idea that you need to switch characters to solve the puzzle.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I just finished the game yesterday, and wrote a long impressions thing. One part that isn't spoiler-filled:

Other adventure games (for instance, the much beloved Day of the Tentacle) had characters somehow sensing things other characters knew with no in-universe justification. I was far more annoyed by the puzzles themselves then by the flimsy in-universe excuse for solving them.

The puzzles in part 1 were very much typical, nostalgic point-and-click adventure puzzles that could be solved by talking to everyone and clicking on everything. They were mostly logical, congruent with their setting, and solvable by understanding how the locale in which they are found works. The puzzles in part 2 are "puzzle game" puzzles for the sake of puzzles (does puzzle look like a word anymore?), in the tradition of Myst or (a better example) Puzzle Agent 2. They are arbitrary, have little to do with their surroundings, and interchangeable.

The thing is - no one at Double Fine ever designed a "puzzle game" before and (consequently?) they are really really terrible at it. In (say) Puzzle Agent, you solve a puzzle by figuring it out logically (mathematically, whatever). In Broken Age act 2, you solve a puzzle by following instructions. The only difficulty you're facing is the fact that the instructions were written by a drooling retard, and you have to write them out and puzzle the meaning from the gibbering.

They also have very little logic in terms of narrative goals, but I think we'll get to that in a few videos.

Edit - Oh yeah, thanks for writing out a diagram for that puzzle in your video. Don't think I would have bothered to finish the game without that being there.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 16, 2015

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Xander77 posted:

Edit - Oh yeah, thanks for writing out a diagram for that puzzle in your video. Don't think I would have bothered to finish the game without that being there.

Glad you enjoyed it and/or got some use out of it. Looking forward to doing more for some upcoming videos.

Also interesting easter egg in your post...

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
To those of you following this, sorry about the break. I fell into a Witcher 3 shaped hole. Will get the next episode out soon I promise!

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
Do we need to get the high-tension fishing line to get you out of said hole?

Cause my work has plenty.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.

Ben Kasack posted:

Do we need to get the high-tension fishing line to get you out of said hole?

Cause my work has plenty.

I'll supply the crochet hook!

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
:siren: Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated! New episode is live. Regular updates should resume. :siren:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm really liking how Shay's childish ship keeps taking a sinister turn when reexploring it now. All those toys with nothing to do kind of hit a sad vibe with me. Here's hoping Valla stages a prop revolution.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 2, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That train segment was far more morbid than the materials involved would have indicated. And there's no way she doesn't cannibalize the corpse for a star chart.

Just drat, Vella, destruction and terror follows you everywhere.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ramos posted:

That train segment was far more morbid than the materials involved would have indicated. And there's no way she doesn't cannibalize the corpse for a star chart.

Just drat, Vella, destruction and terror follows you everywhere.

You must be from Obvious Town.

anilEhilated posted:

I'm really liking how Shay's childish ship keeps taking a sinister turn when reexploring it now. All those toys with nothing to do kind of hit a sad vibe with me. Here's hoping Valla stages a prop revolution.

All the toys are weirdos, in a fun way. I liked that about this section. She's probably not gonna start a revolution though.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
The train sequence and all the dialogue surrounding it is probably my favorite part of this game. I REGRET NOTHING!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wonder why that one robot was humiliated.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It's something that happened in Act 1. Shay modified the encoded yarn thing to be a 'dangerous area', and it ran out of yarn so it couldn't go back.

I guess it was marked as dangerous so that the areas aren't visited early. And to help prevent the 'going native' thing.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Are you doing okay AllisonByProxy?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Not really. Sorry guys, I do plan to finish this. More to come.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Not sure if anyone still cares but the next episode of this LP is currently being rendered out. Look for it shortly. Sorry about the long break.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

AllisonByProxy posted:

Not sure if anyone still cares but the next episode of this LP is currently being rendered out. Look for it shortly. Sorry about the long break.

No problem, looking forward to it

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Now I have something to look forward to. :D

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

SgtSteel91 posted:

No problem, looking forward to it

Gideon020 posted:

Now I have something to look forward to. :D

Thanks guys. Here you go!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hey, glad to see this LP up and running again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Ramos posted:

Hey, glad to see this LP up and running again.

Thanks! Again, sorry for the long delay. I'm glad to be back at it too.

• Locked thread