Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

What I find mildly baffling is that I, a card-carrying member of Generation X, seem more at ease with technology than both the generation before and the generation after me. It's like I'm surrounded by idiots or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

nope

1982-1989 does not fit squarely with either one

If you were born while I was in high school then you might as well be a millenial.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Flo Cytometer posted:

Intellivision > Atari

Colecovision crew checking in.

Also, if you didn't spend hours paying on a Commodore 64 then I'm not sure I can consider you to be fully human.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

Bourgeoisie scum.
I'm posting from my phone - it should have read "playing," but Swype autocorrect decided to make it more capitalist.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Goddamnit, I just spent another chunk of time searching for an old anti-marijuana PSA I remember from the late 1980s or early 1990s that was unintentionally funny. It's a black girl sitting a classroom and talking to the camera, saying that people claim marijuana is bad for you, that it hurts your memory, and that she's been "smoking pot since... Since... [confused look]."

I've searched for the drat thing multiple times over the years, but have never been able to find it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think a true badge of being a Gen-Xer is remembering late nights watching Friday Night Videos on broadcast TV.

I was going to link Men Without Hats "Safety Dance" but relented at the last moment.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ShaqDiesel posted:

I feel like "Runnin' Against The Wind" should be playing in the background of this thread.

No that's not generationally appropriate. Idk maybe "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye..." :shrug:

No, I think it should probably be this playing in the background of the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMuDtfxAIKk

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I remember having a 300 baud modem for our Commodore 64 and browsing Compuserve with it.

Going up to a 1200 baud modem on an IBM-compatible 8088 running DOS and connecting to BBS sites instead was so much better. I engaged in online trolling before there was an Internet. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

thathonkey posted:

lol if you've never used altavista, magellan, lycos, excite, and yahoo! search engines

Hotbot was the best search engine for a period of time back then.

I remember the dark days where I used AOL as my ISP, and had to run a keep-alive program to keep it from logging off during long downloads.

• Locked thread