Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Squalitude posted:

Did the enemy soldiers manage to hit each other by accident at a few points in the last couple of updates? Like at 15 minutes...

No, it was them sustaining damage from Chaos armor. It damages enemies irrespective of whether Kain is protected by the barrier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
As much as a fan as I am of Tony Jay, they should've had anyone else voice William. Tony would've been fine for after he becomes the Nemesis, but not the "Boy King".

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So, just watched The Battle... I recall that transition being much, much better.

Huh.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

So, just watched The Battle... I recall that transition being much, much better.

Huh.

It is supposed to be better (although it is just as confusing), I just can't find the cutscene for some reason (my game doesn't play the cutscenes at all, I have had to edit them into the videos and hope that I didn't gently caress it up)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

It is supposed to be better (although it is just as confusing), I just can't find the cutscene for some reason (my game doesn't play the cutscenes at all, I have had to edit them into the videos and hope that I didn't gently caress it up)

I forgot about that. You've done a pretty good job then.

With regards to the hilariously out of place armor, I imagine that was part of what Moebius supplied to William, as part of the plan.

One thing I'd like people to keep in mind is "Where and When in Nosgoth is the Soul Reaver?". It gets around quite a bit throughout the series. So now's as good a time as any to begin.

20 Years prior to the Murder of Ariel: William, armed with the Soul Reaver, is murdered by Kain; the Soul Reaver is broken.
30 Years after the Murder of Ariel: Kain finds the Soul Reaver in Avernus Cathedral.

So, we already have a mystery on our hands! We don't know how the Soul Reaver gets to Avernus, but we know that by the time it gets there it is no longer broken. We also don't know where Moebius got his copy of the Soul Reaver to give to William, but presumably it was snatched from somewhere else in the timeline.

I'd like, by the end of the series, to have a complete timeline for the Soul Reaver.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
If you ignore Blood Omen 2 it wraps things up pretty nicely with few plot holes. One big one in Defiance, as I recall, but most of the stuff gets explained.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

I forgot about that. You've done a pretty good job then.

With regards to the hilariously out of place armor, I imagine that was part of what Moebius supplied to William, as part of the plan.

One thing I'd like people to keep in mind is "Where and When in Nosgoth is the Soul Reaver?". It gets around quite a bit throughout the series. So now's as good a time as any to begin.

20 Years prior to the Murder of Ariel: William, armed with the Soul Reaver, is murdered by Kain; the Soul Reaver is broken.
30 Years after the Murder of Ariel: Kain finds the Soul Reaver in Avernus Cathedral.

So, we already have a mystery on our hands! We don't know how the Soul Reaver gets to Avernus, but we know that by the time it gets there it is no longer broken. We also don't know where Moebius got his copy of the Soul Reaver to give to William, but presumably it was snatched from somewhere else in the timeline.

I'd like, by the end of the series, to have a complete timeline for the Soul Reaver.

I think that this will have to be more like a spreadsheet or multiple parallel timelines, considering that there are multiple temporal distortions in the series

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

You explained it fine, I just watched that cutscene and really it's just as confusing and sudden as a jump cut.

Um who was the guy you killed after the timeskip to trigger that other cutscene?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

You explained it fine, I just watched that cutscene and really it's just as confusing and sudden as a jump cut.

Um who was the guy you killed after the timeskip to trigger that other cutscene?

Just some guy. According to the Dark Chronicle, Kain... read his mind, apparently. I have no idea how that conclusion was made and it makes even less sense than just saying that the devs hosed up and failed to make anything clear

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

Just some guy. According to the Dark Chronicle, Kain... read his mind, apparently. I have no idea how that conclusion was made and it makes even less sense than just saying that the devs hosed up and failed to make anything clear

That sorta makes more sense? Thanks this part of the game is really messy

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

I think that this will have to be more like a spreadsheet or multiple parallel timelines, considering that there are multiple temporal distortions in the series

And we've already had the first change happen, so Alpha timeline is already dead, but I can't properly go into what the original timeline looked like for a good long while.

Legacy of Kain: To explain one thing, I have to explain everything.

Alternately, Everything is a metaphore for everything else.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Update. Hilariously, despite being about as endgame as it can get, it has no content whatsoever.

----

Unrelated: I have started the Soul Reaver playthrough... and nothing records it. I've already gone through three different recording softwares and two different SR versions and have no loving idea what to do, so I have no clue how long it will take for me to get the SR thread up and running.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 2, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well poo poo. I was afraid something like that might happen.

Are you emulating the PS version or running the PC version? Have you tried recording the game window with OBS? This is basically the extent of the help I've got for you.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

Well poo poo. I was afraid something like that might happen.

Are you emulating the PS version or running the PC version? Have you tried recording the game window with OBS? This is basically the extent of the help I've got for you.

Running the PC version, tried both Steam and GOG
I have just tried running OBS, so that makes it 4 softwares now (Fraps, Bandicam, Afterburner, OBS), doesn't work.
Still, I think I may actually fix it tomorrow morning (as in, 6-7 hours from now, I live in Europe), I have some thoughts on that. I got Blood Omen to run, I managed to record it, and I then pulled it out of crashing upon attempts to change resolution, and I already have the nice purple graphics done for both the thread and video pop-ups, so gently caress me if I'll let something that is nowhere near as old as BO1 stop me

EDIT: got SR to record, yass. The first part is already rendering

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 3, 2015

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Aaaaaaand we're done with Blood Omen!

A few things to mention:
1) Ages ago, I promised an extra video with secrets. So far I have footage of getting only one of those secrets from a long time ago, and as I absolutely abhor scrounging the world map and looking for secrets, in addition to none of them (at least as far as I know) being of any interest or importance, it may take a while for me to power through and get it done.
2) The first part of Soul Reaver is already completed and I have written up the OP. The thread will be up as soon as I deal with the copyright notifications for Ozar Midrashim. I would just open the video up tomorrow if I only got the notification from the actual copyright owner (which I did, and I've already emailed them to ask for permission to use the track, because The Orchard is nice in that regard as far as I know), I don't mind the actual copyright owner monetizing the video... but I also got a false-rear end notification from a company that owns the rights to a track by some Swedish oval office named Tristitia, who just took the sound from the Soul Reaver intro (i.e. the music + sound effects + Raziel's narration), put it in an album with one extra riff in the end and called it a song and I got a copyright notification for that. As a lawyer, I just can't let that bullshit slide. So I'm waiting for a written permission from The Orchard (also known as IODA) to dispute that fake-rear end claim and keep the video ad-free.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
One flaw this game has is that half the people in this game is voiced by Tony Jay and at the same time one of the main characters is also voiced by him so it gets confusing when the necromancer or some random villager is talking. Not that Tony Jay was a bad voice actor or anything but his voice range was pretty limited so it was an odd decision to have him voice so many characters. Thankfully he gets one of the best parts in future games :allears:

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Iretep posted:

One flaw this game has is that half the people in this game is voiced by Tony Jay and at the same time one of the main characters is also voiced by him so it gets confusing when the necromancer or some random villager is talking. Not that Tony Jay was a bad voice actor or anything but his voice range was pretty limited so it was an odd decision to have him voice so many characters. Thankfully he gets one of the best parts in future games :allears:

This is something they address in the voice casting of Defiance.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Yes, specifically, by recasting Mortanius. I think I even mentioned it in the LP

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Alexeythegreat posted:

Yes, specifically, by recasting Mortanius. I think I even mentioned it in the LP

Yep. I remember a QA years back where it was asked why Mortanius wasn't voiced by Tony Jay, and I think the line was something like "Tony Jay is a great voice actor, but Tony Jay sounds like Tony Jay."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

If you want a co-commentator for Soul Reaver and on, I'd love to offer my services. I played all the DR games a lot growing up and know them like the back of my hand.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Vicissitude posted:

If you want a co-commentator for Soul Reaver and on, I'd love to offer my services. I played all the DR games a lot growing up and know them like the back of my hand.

I don't see doing co-commentary for every part as feasible because scheduling, but I'd be totally up for doing some videos that way

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Hey, that's alright. I've got PM or you can reach me by email. Soul Reaver is awesome and I'd love to help clear up the shenanigans that go on in the series.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Now that the game is over, I thought it'd be cool to share a neat little secret.

Back in 2010, a group of Russian programmers attempting to create a 3D remake of Blood Omen discovered a hidden area in the game while investigating the code. The area is the pirate ship HMCS Bitter, and is accessed by a blocked off hidden room from a tavern in Vasserbund. The area is more or less complete with no indication given as to why the developers decided to prevent access.

More info and pictures here: http://thelostworlds.net/BO1/HMCS_Bitter.html

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Christ, I completely forgot that they exist (the ship and the Blood Omnicide project).

I just did some scrounging in the Russian communities (which I normally completely ignore), and have found out that the last update on Blood Omnicide is dated April 2015 and that they already know what the system requirements for that will be. However, right now the only question that the people have is "Are you guys still alive there?". Source: I'm Russian and http://vk.com/blood_omnicide

As for the ship, it's actually amazing how people still find secrets decades after the release of games. I recall that something was found in the original Serious Sam, too

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Honestly never saw any of this coming. I loved everything in this whole thing.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
What a wild game! I can't remember how far I got, but it wasn't this far, that's for sure.

That said, I am really excited for Soul Reaver. It was one of my favourite games when it came out, and I played it a ton of times. Very excited to revisit the ol memories.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Skippy Granola posted:

What a wild game! I can't remember how far I got, but it wasn't this far, that's for sure.

That said, I am really excited for Soul Reaver. It was one of my favourite games when it came out, and I played it a ton of times. Very excited to revisit the ol memories.

I would listen to Michael Bell and Simon Templeman have a dialogue for eternity.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

George posted:

I would listen to Michael Bell and Simon Templeman have a dialogue for eternity.

Which is why the two games that everyone likes are SR2 and Defiance, as they're full of dialogue, unlike SR

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I'm actually trying out SR2 and cant get over how clunky the combat feels :negative:

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Iretep posted:

I'm actually trying out SR2 and cant get over how clunky the combat feels :negative:

Blood Omen 2 makes SR2 look like an Arkham game.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

DukeofCA posted:

Blood Omen 2 makes SR2 look like an Arkham game.

Blood Omen 2 is still a solid game.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
In their lategames SR2 turns into a runaway fest, BO2 - into a blockfest

Edit: drat, now I'm not sure if I'm remembering SR2 correctly

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 4, 2015

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
A small update on the Soul Reaver progress for those who are interested. I will fight until I either get what I want or get a copyright strike, because gently caress them. Too bad that I can't really threaten legal action due to not being easily able to go to whatever US state had its law chosen as applicable here

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The content id system is easily the worst thing Youtube ever has introduced.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I remember one of the Final Fantasy Videos I got was flagged by Rooster Teeth saying they owned Final Fantasy Type 0.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't bat an eye if the claim was from IODA. I don't mind a link to Ozar Midrashim on iTunes being posted in my description. Hell, I bought Ozar Midrashim on iTunes myself. If they refused to take away the claim, I wouldn't say a word, it's not like these videos can make more than 5-10 cents from extra ads.

But that poo poo by Believe is a loving fraud and I'll rather cut the sound from the video than let these thieving loving cunts put ads in my video and make these 10 loving cents. gently caress, I'm pissed

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Xoidanor posted:

The content id system is easily the worst thing Youtube ever has introduced.
And that's saying something, considering what they do on a regular basis.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Alexeythegreat posted:

I wouldn't bat an eye if the claim was from IODA. I don't mind a link to Ozar Midrashim on iTunes being posted in my description. Hell, I bought Ozar Midrashim on iTunes myself. If they refused to take away the claim, I wouldn't say a word, it's not like these videos can make more than 5-10 cents from extra ads.

But that poo poo by Believe is a loving fraud and I'll rather cut the sound from the video than let these thieving loving cunts put ads in my video and make these 10 loving cents. gently caress, I'm pissed

There are lots of videos that have the opening sequence. Just cut and link to it. No stress. I am liking your lp. I bought this game the day it was released and all the others, I am not looking forward to how they have aged, the only one I couldnt make it through was blood omen 2.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
TIL that Blood Omen is present on Playstation Network
Wtf, I thought it was in a legal limbo
Why not release it for PC on Steam/GOG/whatever, if it can be released on PSN
I am offended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Don't look at me, man. I own the original PSX version. >_>

Edit: That could be why, actually. Sony has the rights to put the original PSX version up on PSN, but Steam/GOG/etc. don't have the rights to put up the PC version. The PC version alone could be in legal limbo.

• Locked thread