Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Ur-Nungal, son of Gilgamesh, managed to rule for less than a quarter of his old man's 126-year reign. He's gotta be up there on the list of dumbass leaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Charles the second of Spain is a strong contender for worst, couldn't even gently caress his way into saving the Spanish Habsburgs

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Nixon used this one weird trick to cause 9/11 and the Cold War. Click here to learn more.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You know it's D&D when you can ctrl f "Mao" and keep hearing dinging sounds

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
or Stalin or Robespierre

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Charles the second of Spain is a strong contender for worst, couldn't even gently caress his way into saving the Spanish Habsburgs

He's lucky he lived to be 30

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Today in 2015, women are still sentenced to death by stoning, but did Hunter S Thompson ever write a clever article about how reptillian and bad they are? I think not. Checkmate Nixonailures.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

District Selectman posted:

Nixon used this one weird trick to cause 9/11 and the Cold War. Click here to learn more.

You are very angry about people disliking Nixon. But I don't get your claims that the War on Drugs began when Nixon was in college. Are you referring to the beginning as the establishment of federal regulations and prohibitions of cannabis? Because that's distinct from the War on Drugs, a rhetorical term from a Nixon speech and codified with the Controlled Substances Act, which Nixon signed.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It's hilariously silly to call Nixon the worst leader of all time let alone the worst president. Anslinger started the war on drugs and it started almost immediately after prohibition on alcohol ended.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
In my graduate studies research I uncovered a matrix of US presidents ranked by their statistics, including: Executive Ability, Imagination, Luck, and Intelligence scores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...nstitute_survey

Does Abraham Lincoln deserve a better Ability to Compromise score than Eisenhower? Will George Washington's superior Foreign Policy Accomplishments modifier allow him to reign supreme over Truman and Polk? Tune in for next years exciting survey results.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Even the matrix has a huge hate-boner for Johnson.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pegged Lamb posted:

You know it's D&D when you can ctrl f "Mao" and keep hearing dinging sounds

Well poo poo I can help you out there.

Reasons Mao is bad:

-His "Great Leap Forward" was a miserable failure that killed more people than both world wars put together
-Never saw junk science that he didn't like, leading to many of the dumber parts of the Great Leap Forward
-Face looked like a particularly ugly moai

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

-didn't kill Richard Nixon when he had the chance

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

-Troika- posted:

Reasons Mao is bad:

-His "Great Leap Forward" was a miserable failure that killed more people than both world wars put together
-Never saw junk science that he didn't like, leading to many of the dumber parts of the Great Leap Forward
You should have deliberately spelled it "maoi" just to help him out more :eng101:

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Hahaha someone get Billy West to record an audiobook of Nixon's love letters in his Futurama Nixon voice, stat.

JonathonSpectre posted:

2.George W. Bush: Just take a look at the state of the U.S. the day he took office and the day he left office. At peace + surplus + leader of the world to bogged down in multiple lovely quagmires + huge deficits due to insane tax cuts during said wars + international pariah clearly guilty of torture and other war crimes. What a loving disaster. Historians of the future will be brutal.

I honestly hope, after he's gone, that all but one of his lovely paintings are hauled out of that museum he built for them and burned. The one that we save should be whichever is the most laughable/embarrassing, so that people who see it can be encouraged to make fun of it for how terrible it is. The remaining space in the museum should then be filled with the names of the civilians he murdered in Iraq (as well as pictures of them, when available), a thorough accounting of how much money he wasted on that escapade alone, the shotgun Dick Cheney shot his friend in the face with, that picture series of W. sexually assaulting Angela Merkle, and maybe the "Mission Accomplished" banner.

Also, the toilet paper in the museum's bathroom should have pictures of Bush, Cheney, and the worst members of their cabinet printed on it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

A room full of Donald Rumsfeld's post-it notes that you're forced to look up at and behold like the victims at the Holocaust Museum in DC.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

He was actually pretty OK in the sense that he did not govern, which meant that governance was left to competent people.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

-Troika- posted:

Reasons Mao is bad:

If Mao had just died after the revolution, his legacy would've been great at least.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eSports Chaebol posted:

If Mao had just died after the revolution, his legacy would've been great at least.

The Abe Lincoln effect.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
It's hard to remember now but the U.S. had a decent brand in the 90's and 911 caused an initial outpouring of goodwill. Bush took this, spit on it and flushed it down the toilet without even being smart enough to realize that's what he was doing. The smallest dose of statesmanship could have translated that into something positive. But Bush didn't have it.

Bush was not only a terrible president but was also utterly unsuited to the events of his time. It might be possible, but it would be incredibly hard to convince me that any recent president is as bad as Bush II.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

asdf32 posted:

It's hard to remember now but the U.S. had a decent brand in the 90's and 911 caused an initial outpouring of goodwill

Yeah, for a moment we were all Americans.

Bush really hosed that up spectatularly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I haven't read a large chunk of this thread, but the people citing Reagan and Bush realize there's no Reagan or Bush without Nixon, right? Nixon made it palatable to hack away at New Deal and Great Society policies by appealing to poor Southern whites' racism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I haven't read a large chunk of this thread, but the people citing Reagan and Bush realize there's no Reagan or Bush without Nixon, right? Nixon made it palatable to hack away at New Deal and Great Society policies by appealing to poor Southern whites' racism.

Hypothetically assassinating Richard Nixon in 1967 wouldn't have stopped the forces that brought Reagan and Bush into office. The same net effects would happen even if the people you'd be lamenting right now would be slightly different.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Stultus Maximus posted:

Nixon was the gooniest president.

quote:

Nixon was never exactly a ladies man. When he proposed to his future wife Pat on their first date, she thought he was nuts. But that didn’t deter him. Instead, Nixon offered to be her driver on her dates with other men. He also inundated her with mushy love letters, referring to himself in the third person and to Pat as “thee.” One line read, “When the wind blows and the rains fall and the sun shines through the clouds (as it is now) he still resolves. . . that nothing so fine ever happened to him or anyone else as falling in love with Thee -- my dearest heart.”

A true cuck

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
If I think too long about how terrible it was that Andrew Johnson became President of the United States it makes me sick to my stomach. Abraham Lincoln choosing that man to be his successor; what a terrible loving thing to have happened!

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

computer parts posted:

Hypothetically assassinating Richard Nixon in 1967 wouldn't have stopped the forces that brought Reagan and Bush into office. The same net effects would happen even if the people you'd be lamenting right now would be slightly different.

It would have shut conservatism out for an election cycle at least. Nixon was probably the only electable candidate playing both sides of the conservative/liberal street at the time. If Nixon gets assassinated you end up with either Rockefeller or Reagan for the Republican candidate in '68. Rockefeller was a liberal and Reagan would have lost.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 3, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

eSports Chaebol posted:

Blame Manning and Assange too for revealing Tsvangirai's perfidy.

What I've heard from my friends in the health ministry is that the generals were willing to go with Tsvangirai, so long as Mugabe was able to live in retirement without charges nor purges. China was no-go since Tsvangirai would have followed through on some protectionist policies against Chinese interests, so China was arming its own tribal paramilitary forces.

And folks say America engages in colonialism. Not really, we merely back locals who are friendly to us. China? They create locals who are friendly to them by isolating and threatening.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

During Nixon's administration there were surprisingly some good things that happened despite the fact that he was...well, pretty power hungry.

-EPA was created
-OSHA was created
-Ended the draft
-"War on Cancer"
-Lowered the deficit
-Attempted to do Obamacare before Obamacare was a thing
-Lowered the voting age
-Title IX

Meanwhile for Bush...I cannot recall anything good that occurred during his entire administration. It was bad.

e: I keep thinking how ironic it is that most in the GOP absolutely detest the first two, despite the fact that should be one of the things they should truly hang their hat on as actually contributing good things to this country.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

FuzzySkinner posted:

During Nixon's administration there were surprisingly some good things that happened despite the fact that he was...well, pretty power hungry.

-EPA was created
-OSHA was created
-Ended the draft
-"War on Cancer"
-Lowered the deficit
-Attempted to do Obamacare before Obamacare was a thing
-Lowered the voting age
-Title IX

Meanwhile for Bush...I cannot recall anything good that occurred during his entire administration. It was bad.

e: I keep thinking how ironic it is that most in the GOP absolutely detest the first two, despite the fact that should be one of the things they should truly hang their hat on as actually contributing good things to this country.

Imagine what would have passed if we had Humphrey as president. You can't take a look at the legislation that Nixon signed without taking a look at the House and Senate during that same period.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

karthun posted:

Imagine what would have passed if we had Humphrey as president. You can't take a look at the legislation that Nixon signed without taking a look at the House and Senate during that same period.

Oh absolutely. Hell, I'd have love to have seen how a JFK/RFK presidency back to back would have turned out for example.

But the difference is...at the very least those good things came out of the Nixon presidency. He didn't block them from not being things. There's not one single thing I can point to and go "gee that was a good idea!" in regards to the Bush White House.

The Bush White House had the worst of the Nixon and Reagan Administrations mixed all together when you really think about it. The Reagan Administration was very good for (middle class white) america in the short term during those years, Those policies passed during the Nixon Administration have been very good for our country.

There was no good feelings during the Bush years, nor any memorable GOOD legislation that any of us here could point to with some form of :unsmith: to it.

It was poo poo. The pop culture of the era was poo poo, the politics...the :911: cheerleading we got from idiots...just..I hate it. Nothing is remotely worth looking back at fondly during that time.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 3, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's not one single thing I can point to and go "gee that was a good idea!" in regards to the Bush White House.

Extended the Voting Rights Act with huge majorities? :unsmith:

Also appointed the assholes who would later shred it :smith:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was too young at the time, but what bad poo poo went down with Bush before 9/11?

On a somewhat related note, what were JFK's notable achievements besides Apollo and the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
1. National Do Not Call Registry
2. ...I think he set aside a chuck of federal land as a protected wildlife reserve?
3. Created an inseparable bond between the words "Neoconservatism" and "George W. Bush", tarnishing the formers brand name for a generation.

...This is really hard you guys. :negative:

Alris fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 3, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was too young at the time, but what bad poo poo went down with Bush before 9/11?

Well there were only 8 months between inauguration and the attacks. He mailed out some tax rebates or whatever to fight the post-dot-com-crash recession, I think he started putting in faith-based rules for charities to coerce them not to do abortions to receive federal money, and pretty much ignored all the intelligence about Al-Qaeda.

Oh yeah he lowered a bunch of environmental standards when he came in, good times. Un-signed Kyoto. Just your standard dumb conservative bullshit before the attacks swept away opposition and let the Republicans brand any opposition as terrorist-loving treason.

God those were bad years.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 3, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

Oh absolutely. Hell, I'd have love to have seen how a JFK/RFK presidency back to back would have turned out for example.

Or if Johnson hadn't hosed himself over with Vietnam and all that crap. Though he also took much damage from the race riots of the '60s as well, even though his handling of them wasn't abysmal, it was more that conservatives jumped at the chance to blame him and his policies for the state of affairs.

Far as I can gather Johnson was even more ambitious than Kennedy as regards social and economic reforms and civil rights, and was a more ruthless (and possibly skilled) politician, and very skillfully used the sympathy after Kennedy's assassination to pass and broaden Kennedy's civil rights program.

What I'm saying is that Johnson completely hosed himself over with his involvement in and handling of the Vietnam war.

e: On the topic of Nixon and the '60s, everybody with a passing interest in that should read Nixonland by Rick Perlstein.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 3, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It wasn't signed into law until 2002, but he got No Child Left Behind passed right out of the gate. That kind of poo poo was popular with everyone (except teachers) at the time anyway, but it's still a big reason our education system is hosed up the way it is.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

gradenko_2000 posted:

On a somewhat related note, what were JFK's notable achievements besides Apollo and the Cuban Missile Crisis?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7y2xPucnAo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's not one single thing I can point to and go "gee that was a good idea!" in regards to the Bush White House.
The AIDS treatment stuff was at least halfway decent (especially compared to the rest of the poo poo his administration did or tried to do).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The AIDS treatment stuff was at least halfway decent (especially compared to the rest of the poo poo his administration did or tried to do).
The limiting of stem cell research because Abortion Babies was not.

Basically the Dubya presidency is an exercise in 'This was good, but this was bad'. He's the Creepy Asian Guy from the living Krusty Doll episode of the Simpsons.

I guess we got YouTube, widespread WiFi, smart phones and saw Janet Jackson's left tit during that time, tho .

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Alris posted:

1. National Do Not Call registry

The telemarketing calls I get daily prove otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

imo caligula or hitler depending on your definition of worst