Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Hello GBS. I found a bug in my house and put it in a jar, but can't seem to find an adequate match for it on the internet, and I know a bunch of you are super-knowledgable about animals.
It looks like one of those brown wasps, black and dark reddish in color with long proportions and a pinched abdomen, but it's got the head and :toot: mouthpiece of a fly, and it occasionally does that weird handrubbing thing they do. It keeps its wings out to its sides, but it moves its legs around like a fly. The closest thing I've been able to find is a Picture-Winged fly, but this thing is much skinnier and it holds its butt up in the air, though it shares the Picture-Winged fly's fancy wings. Also the abdomen ends with a pointed tip, but it looks too soft to actually be a stinger. I'm 99% sure it's harmless, but I'm curious as to what kind of fly it is exactly.

Here are some pictures if it helps, sorry for the poor quality/jar but all I've got is a late 2000s cellphone and I don't feel like catching it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Flasp absolutely

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
looks like a sun crab

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
is it a new car

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Common brushtail possum

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
i think it might be a transformer

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
see how long you can hold it in your mouth and/or swallow it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A Conopidae species of some sort maybe? I'm bad at flies. Where do you live?

e: a tephritid. jfc pick get it together

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 29, 2015

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
it's a bear crab

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Honestly I've never seen that one before, if you're in the USA I might want to arrange getting my hands on it.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
its def a kind of crab, op

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
OP has crabs

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Pick posted:

A Conopidae species of some sort maybe? I'm bad at flies. Where do you live?

South Carolina. It just kind of showed up in my house.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
On behalf of wasps thank u for letting the wasp go
maybe one of these:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
no wasp in whole wide werld has halteres, fleurs <:mad:>

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

You're welcome

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

That tube seems like a long way to send your bug poop.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
op has a serious bear crab infestation unnnngggh probably need to light a fire near where you fouuuuggnd it. I would use oily rags and a LOT of gasoline. Make sure to turn on your stove as well unngggggh just wrap some wet blankets around your head and try and get some rest.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
unnnggh oow ouch

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Post this in Critterquest, Mak0rz or someone will probably know it better than me. Still thinking it's a Conopid fly but I've never seen one with wings that looked like that.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Pick posted:

Post this in Critterquest, Mak0rz or someone will probably know it better than me. Still thinking it's a Conopid fly but I've never seen one with wings that looked like that.

I'm thinking it's from Mordor because those look like bone wings

Turboooooo
Mar 3, 2010
It looks like a Waved light fly. They lay eggs in June Bugs. Pyrgota undata http://bugguide.net/node/view/7384

Turboooooo fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 29, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
☐ Wasp
☐ Bee
☐ Hornet
☑ Hellspawn that must be destroyed now for the sake of all mankind

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

☐ Wasp
☐ Bee
☐ Hornet
☑ Hellspawn that must be destroyed now for the sake of all mankind

please do not destroy it. There is a 1 in chance that it's NOT a wasp and can be safely destroyed but bees, wasps and hronets are all wasps so please do not destroy it tia

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

it's a hummingbird

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
its a mud dauber

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
it's a bear crab

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Turboooooo posted:

It looks like a Waved light fly. They lay eggs in June Bugs. http://bugguide.net/node/view/7384

Yep, that's the ticket, thanks!

I suck at fly ID and freely admit that.

(I don't really like flies.)

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
That's not even its final form

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Alternative - Brown mantidfly is native to SC

Waved light fly is more likely

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Turboooooo posted:

It looks like a Waved light fly. They lay eggs in June Bugs. Pyrgota undata http://bugguide.net/node/view/7384

Oh nice, that's it exactly, wing patterns and all. A cool fly, thanks for the ID.

Now I can let it go without worry so it can go about its business of loving up june bugs.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
it was me actually plz dont make fun of me

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Cicadas! posted:

Oh, nice, that's it exactly. A cool fly, thanks for the ID. Now I can let it go without worry so it can go about its business of loving up june bugs.

meanwhile in Barad-dur the dark lord laughs in satisfaction

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Yep, that's the ticket, thanks!

I suck at fly ID and freely admit that.

(I don't really like flies.)

Every now and then I swing by a thread and see you posting something about dead animals or bugs or living in the wilderness.

This is how I imagine you:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johntalouette
Oct 30, 2013
If it has two wings, it's a wasp. If it only has one set of wings and then one set of diminished lumps (called halteres) then it's a fly mimicking a wasp.

• Locked thread