Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this the best thing ever?
Yes
gently caress yes
It's up there
I'm gay
View Results

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: if you think bones will spend more time behind bars than he has already from turning himself in.

Here's what's going to happen. His lawyer is going to negotiate a plea deal most likely with a reduction in the severity of the crime to reckless driving or some such. He'll probably lose his driver's license for 6 months to a year, and he'll have to do a bunch of community service. There is no question about the victims being properly compensated, and JBJ has more than enough money to basically walk away from all of this. Unless he does this again before his probation is up, he won't see the inside of another jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In most places a DUI can disappear for about $5k even if your lawyer is Lionel Hutz and NM is the type of place where you can buy a fifth of jack at the gas station while you're filling up your car.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dangersim posted:

Jones is not getting locked up. At worst he'll get 90 days and will end up doing 30-45, but I doubt it. He's going to get fined and put on probation, made to pay restitution to the lady he hit, probably some community service, probably lose his license for a bit, and the judge is going to give him a stern talking to in front of the cameras.

Bingo. Because this is exactly the same thing that happens to anyone with the right amount of money in this type of situation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I didn't think they would keep the fight on. It would be a PR nightmare. He forced the UFC's hand.

However, it's pretty easy to say that he's going to get a token punishment because that is almost always what happens when someone of his status gets into a relatively minor incident like this. If he was a broke guy with a public defender he'd get more almost certainly, but he's not going to get any severe punishment from this.

Now, I'm not trying to dismiss what he did. I'm still hosed up from a wreck two months ago where someone ran a red light and totaled my car. Jon Jones deserves every bit of ire he gets from this. However, the legal system isn't really fair and with enough money you can get away with all but the most heinous things with relatively minor punishments. Minor in this case of probably the maximum fine, a few million to the woman he hosed up, probably a year or two probation, and some substance abuse counseling.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Neurosis posted:

This is a country where judges are elected nothing is certain

Judges are elected in a lot of ways, but NM's system is a hybrid system that uses appointments and elections in conjunction.

quote:

The New Mexico judiciary consists of a supreme court, a court of appeals, a district court, and various trial courts of limited jurisdiction. New Mexico judges were originally chosen in partisan elections, but in 1988, voters approved a constitutional amendment creating a hybrid system of judicial selection that includes merit selection, partisan elections, and retention elections. When a judicial vacancy occurs, the appropriate nominating commission recommends qualified candidates to the governor, and the governor makes an appointment. At the next general election, a contested partisan election is held to fill the seat for the remainder of the term. The successful candidate runs in retention elections thereafter. The threshold for retention is higher in New Mexico than in most other states; judges must receive at least 57% in affirmative votes to be retained.

To add to that, judges are very restricted in what they can and cannot do when running for a position unlike standard politicians. The SCOTUS just upheld a rule from Florida that mirrors the ABA's model rules for judicial conduct that judges cannot directly solicit for donations from anyone.

While there are some shitheads like Roy Moore in Alabama, not all judicial elections are a bad thing.

• Locked thread