Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I just had what I'm pretty sure is the best run I'm going to ever have with this game. All Characters, completed Bard, Cadence, Melody and Eli in a single run before choking on Dorian 1-1. 14,000 accumulated gold, the 13th highest score since the full version dropped. I'm... I'm pretty content with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've got to wonder how many people have even unlocked coda, let alone are insane enough to try to play him seriously.

To beat all characters you'd probably end up with much more than 14,000 gold so the number is probably 12 people or fewer.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've got to wonder how many people have even unlocked coda, let alone are insane enough to try to play him seriously.
If you think you can handle a glimpse into insanity, a user by the name of djc6986 does Coda runs fairly often, even all-zone runs that actually get fairly serious.

He's even gone as far as Zone 4 in at least one highlighted run. If you think just getting to Zone 4 is crazy, pay attention to what he has to leave behind in the Deep Blues fight in Zone 2.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Today I learned that you can actually be killed by the goblin diggers in zone 4 if they hit a confusion trap because that will make them move at you when they would normally move away from you, which gives them an attack they would otherwise not have. :thumbsup:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
gently caress the music in this game is so goddamn good. i hadnt played since 3 zones and then holy gently caress all of melody and aria have different remixes and im in heaven this game owns

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

E-Tap posted:

He's even gone as far as Zone 4 in at least one highlighted run. If you think just getting to Zone 4 is crazy, pay attention to what he has to leave behind in the Deep Blues fight in Zone 2.

Jesus Christ

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008
Holy poo poo Coda looks like the way the game is meant to be played. I haven't unlocked him yet or seem him but :sbahj:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

E-Tap posted:

If you think you can handle a glimpse into insanity, a user by the name of djc6986 does Coda runs fairly often, even all-zone runs that actually get fairly serious.

Why did he die on Death Metal? :raise:
e: What actually happened.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I *think* he needed to land all three bombs to kill Death Metal, but he missed on the second because DM teleported out, so he suicided to a missed beat.

That's some seriously nuts level of mastery though

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes with only one bomb left he would have only been able to get death metal down to its last heart. Throwing the dagger way earlier basically killed him since he couldn't pick it back up.

That whole run is insane but I think the most impressive part is the king conga fight because the beat pattern gets so ridiculous when with the shrine of rhythm on at the same time. I didn't even know it would interleave a beat like that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This game is currently a flash deal on steam, and I bought it, and hey it's pretty fun!

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
This game makes my hand hurt so much. Okay, how the hell do you deal with those stupid apprentice blademasters in zone 4? If I ever meet one before I get a ranged weapon, the dagger just makes them parry parry parry.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
hit, back, hit

or hit, side, hit if you're against a wall. if they are against a wall when you do the first hit then you have to move to the side and reposition or have a weapon that will hit him at whatever angle hes at from you.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

legoman727 posted:

This game makes my hand hurt so much. Okay, how the hell do you deal with those stupid apprentice blademasters in zone 4? If I ever meet one before I get a ranged weapon, the dagger just makes them parry parry parry.

You can only damage them with non-piercing weapons the beat after they lunge. Attack them at range 1, sidestep the lunge, then hit them. The crossbow, Freezing Dagger, and the guns ignore these kinds of defenses, like the shield skeleton's shield and the armadillo's shell. The Phasing Dagger does all this, ignores Ghast gimmicks, can attack into/out of walls, hurts Dead Ringer outright, and ignores Mimic invul on the beat they unmask.

EDIT: efb

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Agh, I finally make it to the end of zone 4 and then I meet THIS rear end in a top hat. How do you beat Dead Ringer? I've done a couple of practice runs and I can't figure out what his trick is.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

legoman727 posted:

Agh, I finally make it to the end of zone 4 and then I meet THIS rear end in a top hat. How do you beat Dead Ringer? I've done a couple of practice runs and I can't figure out what his trick is.

First, lure him into charging his bells. Normally, he will ring them to summon mini-bosses, but you can get in front of him to have him charge you. If he hits a bell during this charge, he destroys it without the mini-boss spawning. If you are strong enough (strength 3? Don't know the exact threshold), you can redirect his charges by hitting him from the side. Note: H\he rings the bells from the square above, taking the shortest route to that square.

One all four bells are either rung (turned black) or destroyed, he'll go nuts and perform screen-crossing lunges with a one-turn charge-up whenever he's in line with you. The goal here is to lure him into charging the gong at the top. Essentially, move up/down until he moves below you, then sidestep to dodge the lunge.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Why is Aria a thing. Why is she dagger only. :suicide:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

legoman727 posted:

because pain is good for you, embrace it

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
It's coming to PS4 and Vita! http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/10/crypt-of-the-necrodancer-coming-to-ps4-ps-vita

legoman727 posted:

Aria's fun :D

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hate buying games twice but playing this on PS4 sounds pretty awesome. Probably it will be a free PS+ title anyway :v:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

precision posted:

I hate buying games twice but playing this on PS4 sounds pretty awesome. Probably it will be a free PS+ title anyway :v:

Also has a new soundtrack by Jake Kaufman, who did shovel knight and mighty switch force

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

jackofarcades posted:

Also has a new soundtrack by Jake Kaufman, who did shovel knight and mighty switch force

:eyepop: I hope that's free PC DLC.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

:eyepop: I hope that's free PC DLC.

Sounds like it's ps exclusive. But you'll be able to buy the soundtrack on band camp. And maybe mod the game somehow to play with it without going through custom music.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finally beat Act 2, and also finally forced myself to realize that staying alive is more important than keeping the beat unless I have a multiplier-based piece of equipment.

But also, gently caress Red Dragons forever.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

precision posted:

I finally beat Act 2, and also finally forced myself to realize that staying alive is more important than keeping the beat unless I have a multiplier-based piece of equipment.

red dragons are easy once you realize if you stay above or below them they cant fireball

also if you can bait them into attacking on the same line as a box they break it

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

So the creator of this game is super cool and kicks in a bunch of money to an online racing league for this game, CONDoR (Crypt of the Necrodancer Online Racing). CONDoR is doing a massive swiss-style tournament with a prize pool of $2000-$3000. If you can beat Cadence reliably, you should sign up (streaming is required).

You can read the rules here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ghtr-pAkSx0-BB-V3dS82SpHiKfLr4Cbrqu_ScX2s30/edit and there's the signup link there.

If you want an idea of the top racers, here's the winners finals of the last tournament featuring me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-bpBUk7vgg

precision posted:

Stay vertical to them and just hit, move, hit, move. If you have to switch sides, pass directly in front of them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i finally beat zone 1 with aria

now to do it in all zones mode

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yeah see, that's fine and all, my main problem with Red Dragons is how they like to find me before I've cleared out any other monsters so I get stuck and things just whittle me down as mistakes pile up :\

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Red Dragons are really the first big difficulty spike of the game. You'll get used to them with practice, and they'll eventually be really easy.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I vastly prefer dragon minibosses compared to some of the poo poo that shows up on later levels, like the Mommy.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Art-wise, some of the concepts for boss characters were pretty rad.

Love this game to bits. Except for the bats. gently caress bats.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i love everything in this game, all of it

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

I hate ooze

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
learn to love the ooze, and the ooze will love you

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I love the game's co-op.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
this game is awesome

but my keyboard sucks and now when i play this game it crashes (the keyboard itself somehow, not the game) so i havent played in a while

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I hate roguelikes and this is basically one of my favourite games of the year. So good. The music, the art, the gameplay, everything.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008
I like the way the fire and ice spirits in the 3rd world shake their tooshies to the music :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Daeren posted:

I vastly prefer dragon minibosses compared to some of the poo poo that shows up on later levels, like the Mommy.

It is one of the best puns though.

• Locked thread