Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
You know what we need? A modern antipope. The catholic church is in shambles and we all know that this care about the poor thing isn't gonna loving work, regardless of how good-intentioned or advisable it might otherwise be. We need a good old fashioned heresy to focus the church on, and what better one to use than one of my favorite as-of-yet-unused standbys, the idea that human beings are destined to evolve to become one with the godhead! I think it might go well with the current global sociopolitical zeitgeist. After all, the very foundation of the idea is clearly a cautiously optimistic respect of the havok we're allowed to wreak on natural processes.

Lots of idiots feel like the world is spinning too fast "these days" and that our various tinkerings into natural forces are dangerously misguided. If a pope told 'em that its part of god's plan to immanentize the eschaton and that even ecological devastation can be cause for hope and joy, a lot of them'd eat it the gently caress up. Of course, the real conservatives would really hate it. There's no room for transhumanism in a traditionalist mind.

That's where the antipope part comes in. There's no way the modern orthodoxy would allow this idea to flourish in the mid-term. The very next pope might do the latin word for making it a heresy, or there might even be a temporary and delicious pope/anti-pope split. That would be great because the catholic church desperately needs to be interesting for some reason other than pederasty. We could get the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith involved and EVERYTHING. Maybe even start a new... whatever they call inquisitions these days. I won't even explain why this would be baller as hell cuz its self-evident. The stones of castel'd'st'angelo could sure use a fresh layer of blood, pain, and injustice at the very least.

So who's down? We got any cardinals up in here that would be willing to take one for the team? I know its a bit much to ask but you know this is a good idea, and besides that Teilhard II would be a kickass popename and if you played your cards right you might stand a decent chance of being sainted in the long term. Even if you couldn't manage sainthood it's still immortality via history for as long as the catholic church lasts. There's no difference between fame and infamy in that regard. And your church really does need you. Do right by it and God.

Everyone else who agrees, head down to vatican bank and rub shoulders with whatever curia members are in your family's pockets. Persuade your local archbishop to stop loving boys for long enough to get something accomplished on this front. If you've got the cash but not the connections, fund the Jesuits in Teilhard's name. They're pretty kickass anyway. If you've got neither the money nor connections then why the gently caress you a catholic, lol, but you still have your god-given voice and will. Make use of them.

Remember: it is the hand of the Beast which is in the decline of the modern church. Any who fight against that are blessed. As imperfect beings, we can only hope to work imperfectly. If a bit of discord must be sowed in working toward the preservation of a greater order, we must accept the task of sowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
There hasn't been a Teilhard I, as pope or antipope.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
there are a few antipopes already

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
Guarantee me Iron Maiden will base an album on my life and maybe we can talk.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Radical egalitarian results will come from the Christians or they won't come at all.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Effectronica posted:

There hasn't been a Teilhard I, as pope or antipope.

RIght but I figured the II would be a good nod to the original, given that his ideas would form the foundation of the heresy. It's a bit unorthodox but that's heresy for you.

All are the boring, lovely and more literal kind of antipope. That's not what we need. It would be best if we could get our antipope genuinely elected before he issued his heresy. That would be the most baller. He would only be antipope in retrospect. Papal authority is needed for this plan to work best, a hick from god-knows-where just rabble-rousing won't do at all.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Guarantee me Iron Maiden will base an album on my life and maybe we can talk.

If you are a cardinal, you've got a deal. If not, your price is too high.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
They've been around for a while actually https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk0XdPb6FQE

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Nathilus posted:

All are the boring, lovely and more literal kind of antipope. That's not what we need. It would be best if we could get our antipope genuinely elected before he issued his heresy. That would be the most baller. He would only be antipope in retrospect. Papal authority is needed for this plan to work best, a hick from god-knows-where just rabble-rousing won't do at all.

A Manchurian Pope?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't the Pope installed by Napoleon a bit of an illigitimate Pope?

Its kinda funny that the head of an organization with no women in management has gone on the record about the gender/wage gap.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
First order of business for the new pope should be to crown a new Holy Roman Emperor. There's no way they could do a worse job than Angela Merkel.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'll do it. I'll volunteer to be the D&D-approved anti-pope. Amen will be re-translated as "Full Communism Now", and the new translation must be used in all masses. I will reward doners for their contribution to my campaign by offering one sainthood per $1M. You can choose to use this to become a saint upon your death or pick some other dead person to make a saint now, any patronage is acceptable. This is first come first serve; if someone else pays me $1M now and makes a patron saint of anime, you will not be able to make another.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Francis isn't really radical the way the media like to make him out to be, but he probably is already as progressive as you can get without a huge surge in sedevacantism.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's only one antipope I care about.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So if the Pope and AntiPope touch do they explode

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

No but if things get bad enough they will excommunicate each other every day and then people will elect more antipopes! :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Will catholics be allowed to eat cheeseburgers on Friday in the new antipopodes?

Hang them imo.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

Will catholics be allowed to eat cheeseburgers on Friday in the new antipopodes?

Hang them imo.

You can eat a cheeseburger whenever you want, man. Where have you been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Dr Pepper posted:

Sorta. The antipope and pope themselves generally won't mutually annihilate but their masses interact until one's mass is worn away such that they are rendered ineffective. The scientific way of describing this kind of reaction is "There can be only one!".

• Locked thread