Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
or nobody gives a poo poo about your views on race

I didn't have much notice to make a new OP so this is a quick one.

WNEW FM partially reformed on XM Radio. Opie & Anthony and Ron & Fez had an amazing New York studio. There was a large cast of weird characters and comedians coming in. Everything was great. Then the Sirius merger happened. And they moved the shows into a broom closet in the sky. Characters stopped showing up. Comedians became too big for the show. And everything kind of drifted for a couple years. Opie & Anthony leaned on Anthony's politics. Ron & Fez leaned on Fez's growing mental illness and games to fill time.

Anthony was fired for comments on Twitter. Fez was fired retired.

So what now?

Bennington

The best of the new shows. Ron has teamed up with his real life daughter Gail and not real life son Pepper Hicks. They keep things silly. Here's a Best Of YouTube playlist if you need to catch up. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVQkEl0-Qf5YFgipeC9jBoAs8GxaEjIDF

Opie & Jim

Or OpieRadio. They're still doing the morning show on the same channel. Dialed back the politics and seem more focused on pop culture. Jim does an advice show on Fridays.

Anthony Cumia

Runs a video podcast out of his basement. Four days a week, 2 hours a day. Costs $7.99 a month or $59.99 a year. Occasionally he does a free broadcast to try to drum up interest. Says he'll dial back the politics but still leans on it. Rumored to be getting a New York studio in July.

Sam Show

Fridays. Rumored to be going daily on OpieRadio. Occasionally DJ Whoo Kid or Nicole from the Morning Mashup stop by.

It's Erik Nagel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2xxrwh3gFM

Fridays. Just expanded to 3 hours. Mostly nerd talk and interviews.

Various podcasts

Off the top of my head. Davey Mac's Sport Program. High Society Radio. Legion Of Skanks. My Wife Hates Me with Rich Vos and Bonnie. Robert Kelly You Know What Dude. Bill Burr's Morning Podcast. Nick DiPaulo. Race Wars with Kurt Metzger and Sherrod Small.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
wazzat?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lazlow do anything anymore on the weekend?

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Peckahs.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
I got burned out with Ron and Fez. There was a good 3 months where I listened to maybe 4 shows, all with Big Jay. Bennington is something I'm looking forward to now. So much fun. Also Shelby was fired.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Shelby is gone but he still hasn't updated his Twitter.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Holy poo poo Doug Benson easily skyrockets to the top of the list of "worst 3rd mic's ever" He is beyond terrible.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yeah, hes road the pot comic shtick into stardom but his stand up is really below par when you look at it, not only that, he's one of those comics who's telling the same jokes he was ten years ago.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

It's surreal that Fez is still gone.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

therealjon_ posted:

It's surreal that Fez is still gone.
How can you tell?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Holy poo poo Doug Benson easily skyrockets to the top of the list of "worst 3rd mic's ever" He is beyond terrible.

I skip the show when he's on because stoner comics are garbage because they don't actually have to be funny/good for their target audience

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
The worst part about the Bennington show is that they make all the other shows in the thread title sound like garbage.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Just want to say on the first page that anyone who was a fan of the busting balls, hangout vibe of old O&A should listen to a few Legion of Skanks episodes. They'll admit that they talk over each other too much and its not always perfect, but I think it's the best comedy podcast there is.

Not sure what the fan favorites are, but the one where everyone wants to see each others' anuses stands out as a good first listen to me.

Bennington rules.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like Sirius is actually doing studio renovation. https://instagram.com/p/2GzvZyrhYY/ https://instagram.com/p/2HH07CrhfD/

I wonder where they're going to be for two weeks.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

He was decent on Bennington. They talked movies the entire time he was on.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 30, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Call Me Charlie posted:

Looks like Sirius is actually doing studio renovation. https://instagram.com/p/2GzvZyrhYY/ https://instagram.com/p/2HH07CrhfD/

I wonder where they're going to be for two weeks.
Holy poo poo, October finally arrived.

And all it took was reclaiming the salary of two of their talent.

At least now they'll have a great new studio for whatever they pick to replace everyone in the next couple of years.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So in the Tiny Dancer ending of Bennington, I hear a lot of people singing. Is it the Bennington crew, or instead a part of the extra stuff you hear in the background of that same song?

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
It's from this scene in Almost Famous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qW9wqUI4Lg

Starts at 1:23

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

I'm normally not one to get in on the Opie bashing, but goddamn was he awful during the Johnny Rotten/John Lydon interview today. He asked terrible questions and didn't seem to get Lydon's vibe at all. Thankfully Jimmy was there to salvage the interview.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Somebody got a creepshot of Fez hanging around outside today's Unmasked.

http://imgur.com/YWSmTT9

:smith:

- edit And I finally got around to editing the final Ron & Fez episode. For anybody who missed it because it was a best of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVozM04s4g0

Gail Bennington calling into Ron & Ron is 16:58 in.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 1, 2015

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
The loving shirt. I'm dying. The bit will never die.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
So Fez retired as an on-air voice but still working the back scenes? Probably for the insurance, huh?

"when I get home, I'm cutting up the dresses. No more desses"

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
Fez actually died in March and they have used old tapes and a look-a-like to seem like he fake retired and is now working behind the scenes.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Paul Kersey posted:

I'm normally not one to get in on the Opie bashing, but goddamn was he awful during the Johnny Rotten/John Lydon interview today. He asked terrible questions and didn't seem to get Lydon's vibe at all. Thankfully Jimmy was there to salvage the interview.
I cringed so hard when Lyndon said "bloody" and Opie interrupts him with "You can say 'gently caress' here." :fuckoff:

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

UncleMonkey posted:

I cringed so hard when Lyndon said "bloody" and Opie interrupts him with "You can say 'gently caress' here." :fuckoff:

Lyndon is cringeworthy enough on his own most of the time.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Lydon.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

drat, that Wednesday interview with Ronnie Lottz is both entertaining and infuriating

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
Today, Ron talking to Siri about Chris and his thick tongue had be loving rollin'.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Has anyone here subscribed to cumias show? Is it worth it, his YouTube clips are petty great.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

To Battle posted:

Has anyone here subscribed to cumias show? Is it worth it, his YouTube clips are petty great.

If you look around, you can find full episodes. I've only listened to a couple but they seem extremely hit and miss. Sometimes he has a good guest in and it's fun to listen. Other times it just feels like lazy radio as he's all alone or with some right wing talking head. The good guests seem like they are drying up but maybe that will change once he gets a New York studio. I guess if you love Anthony and don't mind his politics if would be worth checking out.

He also keeps a show log at http://theanthonycumiashow.blogspot.com/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 2, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

To Battle posted:

Imagine the Opie and Anthony show with basically nobody at the helm, rarely any comedians and a level of effort subject to the whim of a maniacal drunkard

If that sounds good, go for it!

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I wish Big Jay would stop wearing fingerless gloves.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
I know it's annoying to hear people say this, but I'm throwing my vote out that the shows should be split to different threads. At least Bennington/R&F and the 202 poo poo. It just seems the fan base is more divided than ever at this point.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

I enjoyed the Dice-is clip he posted last week. But I always enjoyed his Dice impressions on O&A.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

How Much Art posted:

I know it's annoying to hear people say this, but I'm throwing my vote out that the shows should be split to different threads. At least Bennington/R&F and the 202 poo poo. It just seems the fan base is more divided than ever at this point.

If some butthurt human being wants to make his own Anthony Cumia thread where they can real talk about race or whatever horseshit they feel like they can't talk about in here without getting dogpiled, I'll PM a mod and get it removed from the title. Otherwise, I'm just going to leave it be and we can laugh at the funny clips Anthony posts on his YouTube and ignore all of the terrible stuff

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 2, 2015

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Call Me Charlie posted:

If some butthurt human being wants to make his own Anthony Cumia thread where they can real talk about race or whatever horseshit they feel like they can't talk about in here without getting dogpiled, I'll PM a mod and get it removed from the title. Otherwise, I'm just going to leave it be and we can laugh at the funny clips Anthony posts on his YouTube and ignore all of the terrible stuff

Just to clarify, I am not said butthurt human being. I just feel the audiences are real different now. I'm all about Bennington now.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have never listened to Ron & Fez a single time in my entire life but I have enjoyed reading the posts about it here. There are just few enough posts per day here that I think both topics compliment each other. I'm for keeping the thread exactly the way it is.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades

beep by grandpa posted:

I have never listened to Ron & Fez a single time in my entire life but I have enjoyed reading the posts about it here. There are just few enough posts per day here that I think both topics compliment each other. I'm for keeping the thread exactly the way it is.

I agree, I can't imagine there is enough traffic to maintain separate threads. Plus, I do enjoy reading about the going ons of Anthony, even though I'm not interested in listening to his show.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
I just wanted to honor Anthony by promoting separatism. :banjo:

edit: If anyone's a fan of Kids in the Hall, the unmasked that aired today was fantastic.

How Much Art fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 2, 2015

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah this is probably the slowest moving thread I follow, if it were split they would be two glaciers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Haha, they just pointed out Louis C.K backstage at the Mayweather fight.

• Locked thread