Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
In every Millenial vs Boomer thread (and a bunch of different dumb threads that pop up all the time) there are a ton of people who say "Thanks Boomers for literally destroying our Earth." But nothing seems to have happened yet. We may have some temperature change but we haven't moved too far from the mean. I assume that "climate change" isn't going to be like a flash freezing of New York like in "The Day After Tomorrow" so there should be some significant events leading up to the global catastrophe that people say will happen. Pointing to something like increased hurricanes last year seems almost as bad as Grandpa looking outside at the snow and smugly saying "How about that global warming?" So where is the climate change happening right now, or are we just expecting that everything will just collapse at once one day in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
tl;dr

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

california / southwest drought, melting polar ice caps. its happenin dawg

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

TEAYCHES posted:

california / southwest drought, melting polar ice caps. its happenin dawg

the california drought is a good example of a localized problem for sure, but when you say "melting polar ice caps" what effect does that actually have today? I know that if they melt completely there are gonna be islands and coastal areas underwater but that's in the future, what is happening today? What can I blame the Boomers for today?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
*notices global climate doesn't change drastically year to year*

GLOBAL WARMING IS OBVIOUSLY FAKE!

the water levels continue to rise and global temp continues to slowly climb, OP. NJ is building waterfront developments with no thought to the future and it's 90% certain they'll be underwater in the next 20-30 years assuming the rate of ice melt doesn't increase (it will).

EngineerSean posted:

the california drought is a good example of a localized problem for sure, but when you say "melting polar ice caps" what effect does that actually have today? I know that if they melt completely there are gonna be islands and coastal areas underwater but that's in the future, what is happening today? What can I blame the Boomers for today?

a lot of fish are suffering because their salt water is getting diluted thus ensuring that while people 150 years ago had oceans teeming with life right now we are eradicating species while ignoring their depletion. so, blame boomers for expensive seafood.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
making it warmer/changing the climate

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

EngineerSean posted:

it's not a localized problem because it's directly linked to ENSO and other climate fluctuations. everything is linked. one place gets hotter, another gets colder. the energy has to go somewhere.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

old dog child posted:

it's not a localized problem because it's directly linked to ENSO and other climate fluctuations. everything is linked. one place gets hotter, another gets colder. the energy has to go somewhere.

this sounds like liberal claptrap to me

everyone knows humans can't affect the environment that GOD made lol poo poo isn't ever going to change ever ever ever because change is scary and jesus tells me it isn't so

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

this is not a generational problem, op. blaming the baby boomers is stupid generational politics and not really useful. the problem is unregulated capitalism, a system which asks "how much will we make next quarter" and not "what is in our best interests and what is in future generations best interests"

the average adult 30-40 years ago had just as much political sway as the average adult today

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
:capitalism:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

this is not a generational problem, op. blaming the baby boomers is stupid generational politics and not really useful. the problem is unregulated capitalism, a system which asks "how much will we make next quarter" and not "what is in our best interests and what is in future generations best interests"

the average adult 30-40 years ago had just as much political sway as the average adult today

I'm reading through the retail thread and "cheap out now and ignore the future" seems to be a pretty common theme with humans

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Even though we waste and generate a lot of pollution in the US, at least there is some social awareness about being green and keeping streets and cities clean.

India and China have no standards whatsoever, and their cities are brimming with poo poo and the pollution is killing their citizens. Gutter oil, anyone?

Superman 64 looked better than that poo poo

down n out fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 30, 2015

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
The poles are warming faster than the equator, resulting in a shift in temperature differential. IOW, it's 1 degree warmer on average at the equator and 4 degrees warmer on averge at the poles. This differential shift has already begun to change the positions of the jet stream (high altitude air currents) which has altered weather patterns globally. The results are not good, and they will get worse.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

this sounds like liberal claptrap to me

everyone knows humans can't affect the environment that GOD made lol poo poo isn't ever going to change ever ever ever because change is scary and jesus tells me it isn't so

even god can't make energy disappear. look at what a terrible job he did with dinosaurs

down n out posted:

Even though we waste and generate a lot of pollution in the US, at least there is some social awareness about being green and keeping streets and cities clean.

India and China have no standards whatsoever, and their cities are brimming with poo poo and the pollution is killing their citizens. Gutter oil, anyone?

they saw US history and decided to copy 1890

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

old dog child posted:

I thought the drought in California was a result of overusing water resources, not thermal energy. Also the Earth isn't a closed system, it absolutely can get warmer everywhere over the long term.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

EngineerSean posted:

I thought the drought in California was a result of overusing water resources, not thermal energy. Also the Earth isn't a closed system, it absolutely can get warmer everywhere over the long term.

do you understand what "drought" means? it doesnt mean overuse of water, though thats occurring too, it means that none of it is falling from the sky

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
you guys see that Orioles game? They say that it is the first time in MLB history that a game was played in an empty stadium ..... IDK about that -- I've seen the astros play on TV before HEYYOOO!!!!

^^^^ remember when all the late night shows are using that, that you heard it here first

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

EngineerSean posted:

do you have any basic concept of physics at all

e: the Earth barely radiates jack poo poo out into space because of our atmosphere

also that 'energy moving from A to B' = how weather works dawg

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

um his username is engineersean so you better believe he knows all about physics

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

EngineerSean posted:

i guess that depends on how long your terms are

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Ork of Fiction posted:

The poles are warming faster than the equator, resulting in a shift in temperature differential. IOW, it's 1 degree warmer on average at the equator and 4 degrees warmer on averge at the poles. This differential shift has already begun to change the positions of the jet stream (high altitude air currents) which has altered weather patterns globally. The results are not good, and they will get worse.

How are they not good and what models predict they well get worse?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

TEAYCHES posted:

do you understand what "drought" means? it doesnt mean overuse of water, though thats occurring too, it means that none of it is falling from the sky

so "its all related" and "humans are at fault" even though there have historically been non-human caused droughts. What did humans do, specifically, to cause rain to stop falling from the sky?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

we are turning away from god

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

yo serious answer Im studying environmental/energy engineering and climate change has been something Ive kept up to date with the last couple years

basically its happening, the temporary pause is expected to stop radically very soon, and the whole thing is currently happening on a medium trajectory as defined by the ipcc (~2,8°C by the end of the century)

feedback loops are starting (methane thawing in the polar circle etc.) but will take a couple hundred years to fully get up to tune

it will not end humanity but the 9 billion people that are projected by the end of the century will not happen because simply land will become unlivable and food just wont be there

the global civilication is on the road to collapse at some point (though recent studies put this point somewhere in the range of hundreds of years from now)

uuuh basically we are hosed if we expect our current state of living to continue or even remain stable, but in the grander scheme of things it's likely just another massive civilisation collapse that will at some point reach a new equilibrium which will leave way less people worse off than today. If that sounds bleak thats because thats what it is.

e: also if youre a sceptic, which is fine, all recent research data points to that its worse than most projections, so not caring about it is a dick move at best, and an affront to the very basis of human decency at worst

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

EngineerSean posted:

so "its all related" and "humans are at fault" even though there have historically been non-human caused droughts. What did humans do, specifically, to cause rain to stop falling from the sky?

what the gently caress are you talking about

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

TEAYCHES posted:

we are turning away from god

allah? jehovah? jesus christ's father? shiva? you gotta be more specific man

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

old dog child posted:

even god can't make energy disappear. look at what a terrible job he did with dinosaurs

the dinosaurs you mean the TESTS OF FAITH that god hid in the soil for us to find?

:smug:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

odin

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

old dog child posted:

do you have any basic concept of physics at all

e: the Earth barely radiates jack poo poo out into space because of our atmosphere

also that 'energy moving from A to B' = how weather works dawg

lol do you have any concept of physics? what percentage of earth's energy comes from earth vs the rest of space? yeah it sounds like we can completely ignore external factors, how dumb of me.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

EngineerSean posted:

how dumb of me.

:agreed:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

EngineerSean posted:

lol do you have any concept of physics? what percentage of earth's energy comes from earth vs the rest of space? yeah it sounds like we can completely ignore external factors, how dumb of me.

earth absorbs 71% of insolation. also i never said the energy couldn't go out to space. it's just stuck here tho

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 30, 2015

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

im gay

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

oh ya i'm gonna trust global warming advice from a goon that drrives a train!!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

EngineerSean posted:

lol why are you pretending there's a skeptical position to take on this?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk what you guys are talking about but it's definitely possible to heat death ourselves because only X kJ of heat gets radiated away and that's not a number that can change regardless of how much we produce.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
where is the hot hail like ming the merciless would do!?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

lol why are you pretending there's a skeptical position to take on this?

there's not, there's just no visible effects right now and I wanted to know if there really was. It sounds really strident for people to be like "Thanks Boomers for loving the environment forever" when there are no visible effects right now. I mean I know goons don't go outside right now but its pretty nice out, and it has stayed within a pretty tight range of "pretty nice out" that the cataclysmic predictions don't really seem to bear out.

Thanks for the seriouspost Son of Rodney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
it's going to be pretty interesting/horrifying when billions of people have to be evacuated to inland camps because the cities are being swallowed by the ocean, but i wonder what's going to happen to giant metropolis like new york or LA. there probably won't be the money to pay for some giant civil engineering project to save them, so maybe there'll be a bunch of pirate raiders living in the flooded husk of the chrysler building

• Locked thread