Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ovechkin is apparently on his way to play for Russia should they defeat Sweden today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

My favourite part of this Canada - Belarus game so far is Seguin looking upset that he scored such an ugly goal.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Yay coyle

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

That Spezza goal was filthy

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

Pleads posted:

That Spezza goal was filthy

The audible groan it got out of me almost blew my cover at work.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Daniel Rahimi and Sergei Shirokov are playing in this game? Am I watching the Canucks 2006 draft cast-off special?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

It's looking pretty grim for Sweden. 3-0 Russia, early 2nd period.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Zat posted:

It's looking pretty grim for Sweden. 3-0 Russia, early 2nd period.

3-1 after 40. Not insurmountable but an uphill climb.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Russia has blown a 3-0 lead, Sweden just tied it up with about 5 mins left in the 3rd

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
loving YES!!!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Go Sweden Go.

Make Ovi's flight a big waste of time!

e: Sweden you suck

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Noooooooo

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
whoops, not so fast! :ussr:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Geno needs to bring Mozyakhin back with him to the Pens

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

So long Sweden

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Tarasenko ENG

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

FIN-CZE 2-3 now, the refs have evidently decided to give the game to the Chzech.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Finland getting OWNED by the refs.

Finland scored, got called a nonexistent goalie interference. Goal waved off, 2 min penalty, the Czech scored a PPG.

Nice.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
This is the first time in 20+ years I have been following hockey on any level a goal is awarded by a penalty.

To the team that scored. With no apparent foul or penalty involved.

Whoa?

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary
Finland owns. Refs don't, i'd be happy if i didn't give a gently caress about this tournament. Wasting my almost spent 24-pack on referees is hard.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
:siren: the old fogey put a softie through rinne

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
That was a bad game. Hockey sucks.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Semi-Finals are set:

USA vs. Russia

Canada vs. Czech Rep.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

goldrush posted:

Semi-Finals are set:

USA vs. Russia

Canada vs. Czech Rep.

On paper, RUS v CAN final.

But we'll see. USA has been surprising with their roster and the Czechs will have a crazy home crowd.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
jaromir jagr is cool and good

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary
Blaming the refs shouldn't be a priority but ugh.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a straight game lost to Czechs, would have sucked for them not to have gone to the finals.

But gently caress with the referee work in the past two Finland games, I'm almost 100% convinced that the refs are paid off. It wouldn't even sting that much if it didn't feel Finland had such a well working team for a change. It was joy to watch Finland play as opposed to the normal game they put out.

I mean, I don't even watch hockey that actively, but it felt like Finland had the best team in ages?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Well I still don't think at all that the refs in either game were "paid off", just superbly incompetent.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

IIHF reffing has a good long history of shittiness. Like, they make NHL refs look pristine.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Dessel posted:

I mean, I don't even watch hockey that actively, but it felt like Finland had the best team in ages?
Meh. Promising, sure, but I don't know about best. If Kontiola didn't turn into a pumpkin and would be as good as in 2013 and the defence other than kinda decent oldish guys and a couple of young studs, then maybe.

The team had holes and the Czech, and especially USA in the first game, exploited them.

Also, holy gently caress I have to just echo that Barkov is The Realest Deal. He was that team's best player by a country mile. Despite being just 19 years old.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Zat posted:

Well I still don't think at all that the refs in either game were "paid off", just superbly incompetent.

Yeah it was very bad in the Finland game, made it look like they just want the home team in the next round.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Zat posted:

Finland getting OWNED by the refs.

Finland scored, got called a nonexistent goalie interference. Goal waved off, 2 min penalty, the Czech scored a PPG.

Nice.

That was a correct call if you watch the replay. The interference was not against the goalie, it was against Jordan. That said, they indeed missed a penalty earlier, slashing for Erat.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

That was a correct call if you watch the replay. The interference was not against the goalie, it was against Jordan. That said, they indeed missed a penalty earlier, slashing for Erat.

It was a pretty weak call IMO, but yeah, you're right about what it was for.

Here's the deed in question:

https://vine.co/v/eKgi7gzTmjw

Kale
May 14, 2010

Zat posted:

It was a pretty weak call IMO, but yeah, you're right about what it was for.

Here's the deed in question:

https://vine.co/v/eKgi7gzTmjw

Yeah I can kind of see why an IIHF ref would call that one. Not really that inconsistent.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Ovechkin and Plexanec added to the russia and czech teams today

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

oh god Mike Smith is in net :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008