Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

acejackson42 posted:

Seriously, though, non-fighting Nick seems like an okay guy.

Two DUI's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Northjayhawk posted:

Watching Joanna champion TKO Carla was more entertaining than the "fight of the century". It was 18 years since I saw my last boxing match, and I don't think I'm going to watch another one.

lmao

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

He's right?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

it was more entertaining but the skill level is entirely different, the same way an ape riding a bicycle would be more entertaining and impressive than watching a human do it. then again it depends on the ape. also since they test pharmaceuticals on animals is the feat less impressive if they fail a drug test?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't know. Joanna's skill level seems to be pretty high.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know. Joanna's skill level seems to be pretty high.

Both in physical attributes and skills, she's not close to Mayweather or Pacquiao, which does make the whole thing less impressive.

That her opponent has a laughably poor level of striking defence for a pro fighter does make her stand out, but really that level of competition in a legitimate world title bout is embarrassing. You shouldn't be effortlessly clowning the title holder in every standup exchange.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

kensei posted:

He's right?

He's not. If someone poo poo on floyd pac straight up I'd say fine, but as an MMA fan you should be able to appreciate it, and comparing it to a garbage 115 title fight is just ridiculous.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Seltzer posted:

He's not. If someone poo poo on floyd pac straight up I'd say fine, but as an MMA fan you should be able to appreciate it, and comparing it to a garbage 115 title fight is just ridiculous.

I'm never going to appreciate someone who is point-fighting and trying to win rounds instead of taking a bit more risk in order to attempt to hurt their opponent. Its really that simple, I knew exactly what Floyd was doing, and the fight sucked.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Northjayhawk posted:

I'm never going to appreciate someone who is point-fighting and trying to win rounds instead of trying to hurt their opponent. Its really that simple, I knew exactly what Floyd was doing, and the fight sucked.

Hes doing his best dude what do you want him to do throw down in the middle of the ring until blood is spraying everywhere

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I think it's cool to beat the gently caress out of women over and over for a decade, so I liked the fight.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bundt Cake posted:

Hes doing his best dude what do you want him to do throw down in the middle of the ring until blood is spraying everywhere

He was doing his best to win rounds. Point-fighting is not something that I believe should be appreciated.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I never want to watch someone who tries to win at the sport they're playing again. I only want to watch people being whipped and paddled

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Northjayhawk posted:

He was doing his best to win rounds. Point-fighting is not something that I believe should be appreciated.

:jerkbag:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Bundt Cake posted:

I never want to watch someone who tries to win at the sport they're playing again. I only want to watch people being whipped and paddled

Things that should be banned from sports
-running down the clock in football
-fouling players intentionally in basketball
-avoiding punches in a fight

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bundt Cake posted:

Hold on........boxing has rules?!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I think it's cool to beat the gently caress out of women over and over for a decade, so I liked the fight.

So does floyd.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Google Butt posted:

So does floyd.

wow, holy poo poo, talk about a coincidence

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Northjayhawk posted:

Machida is sad to not have your fandom.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

wow, holy poo poo, talk about a coincidence

:D

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bundt Cake posted:

well, its not necessarily a criticism of Mayweather, more a criticism of this terrible sport.

The "fight of the century" had 36 minutes of "fighting" after which everyone walked away unbruised. There's a reason why Lorenzo and the UFC has been clowning MayPac on social media all day.

Pelleas
Apr 24, 2005
I was impressed with Mayweathers reflexes, speed and how he moves around the ring but it felt more like a fencing match. There was no sense of danger.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
why can't Floyd just be a loving warrior, or whatever?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Northjayhawk posted:

well, its not necessarily a criticism of Mayweather, more a criticism of this terrible sport.

The "fight of the century" had 36 minutes of "fighting" after which everyone walked away unbruised. There's a reason why Lorenzo and the UFC has been clowning MayPac on social media all day.

There's an alternate universe where the Anderson Silva Demian Maia card cost $100 on PPV and there's no mainstream UFC in 2015

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The problem is that you watch a ufc card and you get a good mix. A chess match, a war, a satisfying one sided beating. It's s dependable product

I enjoyed mayweatherpac but dang you get so much more for your money from the ufc.

Edit: and loving lol at everyone criticizing Floyd for being too good at not getting hit. You make a fool of yourself saying poo poo like that.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Northjayhawk posted:

I'm never going to appreciate someone who is point-fighting and trying to win rounds instead of taking a bit more risk in order to attempt to hurt their opponent. Its really that simple, I knew exactly what Floyd was doing, and the fight sucked.

Northjayhawk posted:

Northjayhawk posted:

Lol

And a lol to straw weights being better than Floyd in any way

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad

Northjayhawk posted:

agreed, there is no difference in the parameters between a fight in the UFC's most underdeveloped division featuring at least one fighter whose offensive output and diversity has only been equaled by Gassed Mark Coleman in 1998 and a fight between the two best boxers on the planet

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

And a lol to straw weights being better than Floyd in any way

Neither Gatti nor Ward are better than Floyd in any way but all three of their fights were still way better than this one.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's no surprise boxing is dying to the far superior sport, MMA :smug:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Thank God there's never been a boring champion who sells lots of PPVs in MMA.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

fatherdog posted:

Neither Gatti nor Ward are better than Floyd in any way but all three of their fights were still way better than this one.

I meant the Joanna champion post he made earlier

E - misunderstood your post

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

Yeah, I know. Saying "lol at straweights being better than floyd in any way" is dumb because that has nothing to do with whether or not it was a better fight.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Yuriy posted:

Who's next fight would you rather watch?

If in 3 months we had two fights scheduled on different channels at the same time: MayPac rematch on one channel, and Joanna vs whoever on the other, I'm either going to choose the latter, or I'm going to go out and do something else for the evening. I have no interest in watching what is ostensibly supposed to be a "fight", but looks like anything but

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
the solution is to let Floyd beat up Carla Esparza and then compare performances

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Solomonic posted:

the solution is to let Floyd beat up Carla Esparza and then compare performances

We've already established that when Floyd fights women it usually goes to the judges

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Solomonic posted:

all four times floyd's boxed a woman it has gone to the judges

dammit fd

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

fatherdog posted:

We've already established that when Floyd fights women it usually goes to the judges

Further proof that MMA is better than boxing, Rumble never lets this happen

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

fatherdog posted:

:drat:

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Like... say what you want about.... how it's boring or whatever.... but the artistry, the skill, the mastery of the way that guy pumps his big pillow hands around and boofs the other guy in the belly... you can't deny it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Solomonic posted:

Further proof that MMA is better than boxing, Rumble never lets this happen

Our dominant champs hit women with cars instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Aurain posted:

Our dominant champs hit women with cars instead.

At least he came back to the scene 5 times. Once to get money, once to get a hot dog, once to take a selfie, once to pet a dog, and once to put her in the drivers seat to make it look like she actually did it.

• Locked thread