Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
UFC Tonight ‏@UFCTonight 2m2 minutes ago
Khabib Nurmagomedov needs knee surgery and will be out around 4-6 months rehabbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Yuriy posted:

This years injuries are already awful

was the gus card a ppv

No, just a saturday afternoon (for the US) fight night.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Seems like this is set up perfectly for the UFC to promote Joanna Champion, because I don't see how she loses this. Its also a logical move for the UFC in Europe because they were really banking on this Berlin card to be a major success in Germany, and losing Gus hurts really badly. This is one of the only moves they could have made to salvage it.

If Joanna wins this one easily, then they can use her as a strong co-main to support a PPV later this year.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Pwny_Xpress posted:

I'm suprised they didnt put Paige Van Zant in, maybe she needed more time after her last fight/Joanna wanted to fight sooner. I dont care, this is gonna be a wrecking, go Joanna Champion! LONG LIVE JOANNA CHAMPION!

PVZ is nowhere near ready. They have said many times that they are taking it slow with her. She'll probably fight some other top-15 a couple times, than maybe a top-5. She's not close to a title shot.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Panama Red posted:

This is quickly becoming a hosed up Venn diagram of Weird Twitter and MMA. Why does Joe Rogan, co-host of The Man Show, care what Ginger Balls thinks about black people pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps

Maybe he's genuinely curious about people with weird opinions and wants to discuss a variety of topics with an eclectic group of people on his podcast? In this case, he probably didn't realize how much of a hateful nut this guy was until it was too late.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Is the new TUF only available on TV? Don't see it on FightPass.

I don't think they make it available on fightpass until a few weeks go by.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Watching Joanna champion TKO Carla was more entertaining than the "fight of the century". It was 18 years since I saw my last boxing match, and I don't think I'm going to watch another one.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Seltzer posted:

He's not. If someone poo poo on floyd pac straight up I'd say fine, but as an MMA fan you should be able to appreciate it, and comparing it to a garbage 115 title fight is just ridiculous.

I'm never going to appreciate someone who is point-fighting and trying to win rounds instead of taking a bit more risk in order to attempt to hurt their opponent. Its really that simple, I knew exactly what Floyd was doing, and the fight sucked.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bundt Cake posted:

Hes doing his best dude what do you want him to do throw down in the middle of the ring until blood is spraying everywhere

He was doing his best to win rounds. Point-fighting is not something that I believe should be appreciated.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bundt Cake posted:

I never want to watch someone who tries to win at the sport they're playing again. I only want to watch people being whipped and paddled

well, its not necessarily a criticism of Mayweather, more a criticism of this terrible sport.

The "fight of the century" had 36 minutes of "fighting" after which everyone walked away unbruised. There's a reason why Lorenzo and the UFC has been clowning MayPac on social media all day.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Yuriy posted:

I meant the Joanna champion post he made earlier

Who's next fight would you rather watch?

If in 3 months we had two fights scheduled on different channels at the same time: MayPac rematch on one channel, and Joanna vs whoever on the other, I'm either going to choose the latter, or I'm going to go out and do something else for the evening. I have no interest in watching what is ostensibly supposed to be a "fight", but looks like anything but

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Dangersim posted:

The holding last night wasn't that bad

Yeah, I've got no problem with the ref last night, he was pretty quick to separate them every time.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Mr. Nice! posted:

So Khabib just tweeted that the UFC is paying for his surgery and rehab in Vegas.

Doesn't every UFC fighter have medical coverage that includes training? I didn't think the UFC only paid for injuries from the fight, assuming you don't do something stupid like skydive.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, Rogan was not nearly as confident or definitive about it as the article implies. It was a very long conversation where one of the topics was the consequences of head trauma, and when they briefly talked about Jon Jones, Rogan offered it up as a "maybe this is contributing to his impulsiveness, but who knows" kinda thing.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Aurain posted:

Do people only get 30k for the fights they're a challenger on or does it bump them up to that tier for life if they've fought for a belt? $2,500 seems like some serious chump change compared to their expenses. I'd be surprised if most people in that bracket benefit from this, but it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.

That fight only

-Atom- posted:

what a joke

I'm sure some of the top guys may get hit by this, but how much do you think random fightpass prelim and early prelim guys can currently find for sponserships? I've heard that many fighters struggle to find sponsers for more than a few hundred dollars.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

I have none, but there is no way in hell a fighter is going to be bumped up to that level for life. I just assumed it was self-evident.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

vainman posted:

Cole Miller said he made $4000 to $5000 in sponsors on an un-aired prelim years ago and $3500 against Ogle because it was on Fox 2

If that was all he could do after 6 years in the UFC, then the deal is probably pretty good for newer guys who are only a few fights in.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bluedeanie posted:

Ogle was his 15th UFC fight, so he'd stand to make a good bit of extra money under this deal. People like Jacob Volkmann who were utterly unmarketable would as well. Conor McGregor is independently sponsored by Reebok and Monster so he will probably continue to do well regardless but someone in his position who instantly became incredibly popular stands to eat poo poo out of this. If he loses to Aldo he'll go from a $30k sponsorship payday to $5k per bout.

Yeah, the people who probably lose out are the guys who are below McGregor in marketability, can't really get title shots, but are highly recognizable. The deal tries to address this somewhat with the tenure tiers, but at some point if we want the entry guys to get paid more, someone will have to get less. This is probably not a bad compromise.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Seeing a lot of complaining from the fighters we generally figured would be hit hardest (the established guys who probably can't quite get a title shot, but are known enough to sponsor)

Are we still in the dark on how much the lowest-level, entry-level UFC fighters are generally able to get from sponsors pre-Reebok? I vaguely remember hearing it was usually much less than the $2,500 from Reebok, but links are hard to find.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

budreck posted:

You are all under estimating Makdessi.

I liked Cowboy but I smell upset.

Bet me.

I'm listening

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Unless a popular reigning champion or someone as marketable as Rousey or McGregor joins that thing, its going nowhere. Random faceless fighters who hope to make it aren't going to risk the wrath of the Fertittas without some reasonable expectation of success.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
One thing to keep in mind is that the UFC is hoping most or all of their events will have a second sponsor, so these numbers are minimums for events with only Reebok.

70 million over 6 years with roughly 45 events per year works out to about a quarter million per event. (Obviously events with title fights are higher, and events without are a bit lower) If the 2nd sponsor is willing to pay that much, then the Reebok scale doubles for that event. I imagine they probably wont get that much for a non-PPV event, but maybe for premier PPV events they could get more than a quarter million from the 2nd sponsor, so over the year maybe it averages out to be about double.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Viper_3000 posted:

The ONLY logo you're going to see on a banner or on any apparel that a fighter is wearing during fight week or on fight night is a Reebok one.

There's no secondary sponsors for fighters anymore on fight night. None.

Technically they can still get sponsors, but they can't wear their logo/branding during the entire week of the fight, including fight night.

EDIT: I hope some brand pays someone a poo poo ton of money to mention them in post fight interviews like NASCAR drivers do. Or better yet, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPDQP1xX96A

If I remember right, I think the banners are going away entirely after fight week is over

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Is it possible that the UFC just didn't have any clue how much the fighters were making on sponsors, and thought the Reebok money would work out OK for most of them?

If thats the case, maybe the UFC got smoked by Reebok in negotiations by not realizing the true value of an exclusive sponsorship.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 12, 2015

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Fozzy The Bear posted:

It is going to hurt the UFC whenever a fighter contract comes up for renegotiation. The UFC is going to have to pay a lot more per fight to make up for WSOF+sponsors.

Maybe they can still recover from this debacle by getting top dollar for that 2nd sponsor for each event, and handing most of that money over.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

vainman posted:

The UFC isn't even handing over most of the Reebok money

We're talking about a hypothetical situation where the UFC badly underestimated how much the Reebok deal needed to be, and had no choice but to make up for it to keep fighters from leaving.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

vainman posted:

Where could they go? Bellator and WSOF pay up and comers in comped tickets and Dave and Buster coupons. There isn't a viable alternative right now.

If its true that many of these guys make most of their money on sponsors, then the purse doesn't really matter. I'm sure that exposure on Fox is worth more than Spike, but they'll still have to pick up some of the loss to keep their roster from leaving, to retirement and a regular 9-5 job if to nowhere else.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

xcore posted:

Did the media call Faber out on his Anti-Vax bullshit or give it the attention it deserved by ignoring it?

I think the media has mostly recognized that he's a stupid cage fighter and ignored it.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I can buy 6 figures in an active year where he fights 3 or 4 times, but I just can not believe 6 figures in sponsor money for one fight.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Yuriy posted:

we don't know enough about fighter pay to be able to make any definitive statements

every one of these discussions has gone the same way, on paper 8/8 looks really bad but then people always bring up undisclosed pay from the ufc

no one knows poo poo and every one for the most part unless they make a post like kurohashi that has something behind it is just making poo poo up or extrapolating a lot based on very little

Yeah, after Dana White announces the usual 4 bonuses, he almost always says cryptically "and more checks will be going out to other guys". Would be nice if we knew what that all was.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Anderson Silva's disciplinary hearing with the NSAC has been delayed again, to June 5th. Nick Diaz's hearing is still on the agenda for this Friday.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Trast posted:

Has Silva been requesting delays? You'd think he would want to get it done so he'd have a chance to get any suspension done and fight again before he gets too old.

The reason for the latest delay is unknown. Before this one, yeah Silva has been requesting the delay

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Anyone else doing that UFC Rewards thing? You have to be a little bit of an OCD weirdo, but it could be worth it to set yourself a daily reminder.

You can do all kinds of other stupid poo poo to earn more points, but the :effort: approach is probably to just once a day log on to the web site, click three articles, and vote in the poll if they have a new one up. That takes me less than a minute, and thats usually enough for 150 points per week.

Why the hell should anyone do this? Well, you can redeem 6,000 points to get a PPV on ufc.tv, so if you just follow that low-effort approach every day, you can get a free ppv once every 40 weeks or so. (They also have other autographed crap or fightpass subscriptions available for points)

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

She'll have to beat her twice, because in the very unlikely case Rousey loses, there would obviously be an instant rematch.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Nick Diaz's disciplinary hearing is scheduled for today. Its one of the last items of a very long agenda, so we probably won't get any news for a few hours.

edit: refs have just been picked for UFC 187. Herb will work the co-main, McCarthy will work the LHW title fight.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Adelaide Byrd will be one of the 3 judges in Johnson vs Cormier. This post is not an attempt to make a joke.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 15, 2015

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bucket Joneses posted:

What sort of traction do these changes have? These new rules seem loving huge.

The UFC wants it (other than the weed penalties), and they have been pushing all state AC's to adopt similar rules. So, I'd expect the new enormous steroid penalties to quickly become almost universal.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The NSAC has been amending the proposed penalties. One of the reporters in the room has been jotting them down as the amendments pass. All of the amendments have been to increase the penalties even higher.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Other changes:

A failed drug test in Nevada now results in a loss, rather than a no contest.

The NSAC will ask all AC's to suspend fighters who don't pay fines owed to Nevada.

Finally, stimulants and diuretics has been moved from banned in-competition, to always banned. (Weed will still be just in-competition as before)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Marching Powder posted:

2 years for weed in this day and age seems loving backward. amused by the rest of it though

Not that I agree with it, but the theory on weed is not that its a PED, but rather that going into the ring or a cage fight while stoned may be very dangerous for the fighter, to the point where they don't want you fighting anymore if you are going to be high all the time. Its why they only test for it the day of the fight.

• Locked thread