Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If I had the money, I'd fly in for Hunt/Cain even if it lasted 20 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On the flip side, imagine the murdering Aldo would put on Diego.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MMA is the best dumb as gently caress sport.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That owns, as does Mir vs Duffee.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe there's a small chunk of that place which is some sort of Scandinavian black hole.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would have thought all MMA fighters would swear vaccines after seeing BJ Penn fight like he had lockjaw in the third Edgar fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Warehouse copper theft looks a bit high class for him, seems like the kind of guy who nicks it from railway signals to me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why did someone get super mad at you enough to give you this avatar.

e:

Nick Diaz on May/Pac posted:

Good luck to both fighters hoping no one gets hurt and everyone makes it home safely

https://twitter.com/nickdiaz209/status/594688370548150272

lol

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 3, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Solomonic posted:

Further proof that MMA is better than boxing, Rumble never lets this happen

Our dominant champs hit women with cars instead.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In between rounds, fighters have to random choose three boxes each like in Mortal Kombat 3 and then the next round has a modifier like Uppercuts only, one hit kills, 30 minute rounds, etc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MysteryNad posted:

I think boxing needs something to prevent guys from hanging out on the ropes and refusing to engage, something without ropes one might say, maybe in the form of a Pit. If you step on the sides you should lose a point. Also I like numbers, they should put some kind of sensor in the gloves to measure how powerful/fast punches are. It would feel much more immersive. I can't imagine a boring fight under those conditions.

Sensors in the gloves that make movie sound effects when they feel an impact.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You gotta beat the champ to be the champ is the quintessential boxing thing. People like Klitschko fight in Germany exclusively because they know the ref and judges will be extremely sympathetic. People say with regularity that you're not going to win a decision in X fighter's hometown.

MMA only really has that first one, the decisions are usually lovely because the judges are dumb as gently caress when it comes to MMA.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's all part of Vitors 5-a-day.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Going for the Weidman strats, I like it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jay J isn't fat, but points for trying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Losing to :ortiz: was the best thing Bader ever did and is funny as all hell.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Le Saboteur posted:

Just listening to MMA Hour and Ryan Bader wants the winner of DC vs Rumble. Haha.

The closest Ryan Bader will get to DC and Rumble is his PlayStation controller.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hendo vs Shogun owns, I also really like the idea of the contributors wing. I imagine Mazzagatti isn't getting in, but I'd hazard a guess at Herb Dean getting one. Big John's a given too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think Mark Hunt post McCorkle takes Fedor at his best and makes it a walk-off knockout and I'm definitely not fanboying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Still waiting on that Matt Serra fly on the wall series before I pull the trigger on Fight Pass.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'll never forgive the ref for getting in the way of his walk-off against Big Country. :colbert:

e: Just had a random flashback to Joe Rogan shattering Schaub's world with the "Do you think you could hang with Cain Velasquez?" "... Yeah." "I think you'd be surprised, I think he'd gently caress you up" thing and god-drat, that a good time to be a UFC thread reader.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 6, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

I think Schaub, on a good day, could take Cain to the time limit. At Metamoris.

Are they doing 3 minute matches at Metamoris nowadays?

EvanSchenck posted:

Rumble also deserves credit for cutting off the cage very effectively throughout the fight.

Yeah, seriously. This was some seriously impressive movement. He never gave Gus a moment to have time to think or get a breather, just closing him down constantly. Hard to believe he's the same fighter who lost to Vitor (197 Catchweight) and Koscheck (170). As a whole though, Rumble's record is better than what I remember.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 6, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

-Atom- posted:

lol nice stipulation

Congratulations, you got the point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fatherdog posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/TheRenegade559/status/595997399501287424]

Do people only get 30k for the fights they're a challenger on or does it bump them up to that tier for life if they've fought for a belt? $2,500 seems like some serious chump change compared to their expenses. I'd be surprised if most people in that bracket benefit from this, but it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

canoshiz posted:

That Mark Hunt photoshoot wasn't that long ago, maybe in the last couple of years or so? It might have been before the JDS fight or before the Nelson fight.

Reverse image search seems to date the photo around the Struve fight in 2012.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The UFC probably won't want to for obvious reasons, but bumping the base contract that seems to be like 8/8 to 12/12 would make a difference to those fighters in the long run.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yuriy posted:

Hopefully Bellator lets them start getting the kickboxing henna back tattoo ads

Brendan Schaub, exasperated by his $2500 from Reebok decides to join Bellator. He bravely has a henna tattoo of CONDOM DEPOT on his back for his first fight, goes into toxic shock and permanently has the words CONDOM DEPOT scarred onto his body, further proving that life hates him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Have we seen what these fighter uniforms are going to look like yet or is it generic looking stuff with Reebok on it?

As for leaving the UFC for Bellator for sponsor bucks, I'd be surprised if there's a UFC fighter on the roster who doesn't hope that someway, somehow, the next fight is the next one that's going to make him/her a big name and start a dynamite run culminating in them becoming a Rousey-esque mega star and the promise of that is probably worth sticking in the UFC for alone, however slim it may be.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 6, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I bet Rousey loved getting that armbar on Tweet.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Frankie Edgar got a title fight because he only had one loss on his record to a fellow top contender, put on a better show than Maynard & Diaz and most importantly, owns.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm pretty sure that Hunt ate punches in kicks in that JDS fight that would have killed lesser beings. He ate a shot very similar to the one that put Cain away and sprung up like no man with his body should be able to. His chin degrading still sort of seems like it's going from "impossible to KO" to "pretty drat hard to".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

colonel_korn posted:

Huh, well that was unexpected.
This, less so.
Oh, man, that's classy. I like Kha-

colonel_korn posted:

Good job Khabib, be sure to RT your bosses on your rape comment too.

Oh god-drat it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thank you "Officer" for the tag line to the next Jon Jones hearing GDT.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thought it was a fat Josh Koscheck at first.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why couldn't that have happened to Jon Jones? :smith:

Other than the him being the best fighter of his division thing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cut all fighters capable of beating the poo poo out of Mark Hunt, tia Dana.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hunt had what was arguably the best career resurgence we've ever seen in MMA to get to this point, put up a good showing against Junior dos Santos, didn't get blasted out by the current interim champion inside a round and won some fights that were traditionally bad style match ups for him and won. He came up against a hungry as hell young fighter and got pulverised. It happens and it always was going to eventually with Hunt.

It's hard not to get a little carried away with the Mark Hunt story and hope for the best in every fight because his fight style is awesome and he's funny as hell but there's no situation ever where him getting beaten up badly by a young prospect is disgraceful, what's wrong with you?

e: typo/wording fix

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 11, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kanthulhu posted:

it sure worked based on my inbox

If you're going to brag about making someone mad enough to PM you about how butthurt they are, the least you can do is name and shame :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just got this image as a suggested page to like on facebook.

Not the most convincing argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All the good spoilers already happened though.

• Locked thread