Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

AMAB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

^^
Rude.

ded posted:

do bans that get queued up ever get rejected?

Not usually but I saw a couple.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

What? You're not a mod

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

N4i isn't a bastard. :(

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Shooting Blanks posted:

What? You're not a mod

Whip was a mod but he wasn't enough of a bastard, made all the other mods feel uncomfortable at the meetings/potlucks/etc

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

N4i isn't a bastard. :(

Obviously not, but does this need to really be pointed out? What kind of mod would be so inept & horrible at performing their appointed duties that they'd take such silly, fleeting words to heart and respond with

Hehhh

Get it

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

son gay. so what posted:

Ramp is a human being who needs to stay the gently caress out of forums that aren't his.

Leave GiP alone, vets can mod sass

I am afraid the administrators administrate every forum, and enforcement of the mod sass rule usually falls to admins. Please don't post mod sass outside of fyad. You don't have to respect the mods and admins to post on this website, but you at least have to pretend to.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

GIP is the new Baltimore and Shim is our Freddie Gray

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Turns out I can't spend an afternoon away from the forums. Closing this for a little bit while folks calm the gently caress down.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ralp posted:

I am afraid the administrators administrate every forum, and enforcement of the mod sass rule usually falls to admins. Please don't post mod sass outside of fyad. You don't have to respect the mods and admins to post on this website, but you at least have to pretend to.

This is some weak sauce. I'm completely against doxxing, or other poo poo to harass someone's real life and all that poo poo. But get some thicker skin and roll with a joke.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es44QTJmuZ0

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Ralp posted:

Nobody here has to pretend to like you, nobody is gonna kiss your rear end because you have a red star next to your name, and sure as poo poo ain't nobody gonna respect you for getting your panties in a wad on an internet comedy forum.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Spicy Guac, please do not reopen this :(

It'll be back in a few hours, promise.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 4, 2015

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi GiP. You are welcome to call any admins and mods names in FYAD, the forum for flamewars where mod sass is allowed. I will definitely see it there, but you can even PM me bad words directly if you prefer. I am not personally bothered in the slightest by reading mean things or whatever the assumption is. Rather, it's the same way goatse is bannable in GBS (or any worksafe forum): I am not upset by seeing hello.jpg, but it's bannable there simply because NWS content is prohibited in GBS.

Likewise, mod sass is not allowed on the forums outside of FYAD. This was part of the forum rules you agreed to when you signed up, and it's still a rule now; Lowtax has explicitly said he's not interested in changing it, I am not interested in changing it, the admins have discussed its application in various specific cases many times. If you no longer agree to this rule, please refrain from posting on the forums.

If you have good faith questions about the topic, QCS is the best venue for that, or at N4I's discretion, perhaps this thread for a limited time. If you want to rant and rave about it, that is fine too (read the post again to find out where to do so!) I apologize to N4I if this has all caused him any grief tonight.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Ralp posted:

Hi GiP. You are welcome to call any admins and mods names in FYAD, the forum for flamewars where mod sass is allowed.

This is a god damned loving lie since I get 6 hours probed no matter what the post and then...

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ralp posted:

Hi GiP. You are welcome to call any admins and mods names in FYAD, the forum for flamewars where mod sass is allowed. I will definitely see it there, but you can even PM me bad words directly if you prefer. I am not personally bothered in the slightest by reading mean things or whatever the assumption is. Rather, it's the same way goatse is bannable in GBS (or any worksafe forum): I am not upset by seeing hello.jpg, but it's bannable there simply because NWS content is prohibited in GBS.

Likewise, mod sass is not allowed on the forums outside of FYAD. This was part of the forum rules you agreed to when you signed up, and it's still a rule now; Lowtax has explicitly said he's not interested in changing it, I am not interested in changing it, the admins have discussed its application in various specific cases many times. If you no longer agree to this rule, please refrain from posting on the forums.

If you have good faith questions about the topic, QCS is the best venue for that, or at N4I's discretion, perhaps this thread for a limited time. If you want to rant and rave about it, that is fine too (read the post again to find out where to do so!) I apologize to N4I if this has all caused him any grief tonight.

All of this drama, for this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reign Of Pain posted:

This is a god damned loving lie since I get 6 hours probed no matter what the post and then...

Well, your point is well taken, this doesn't account for the whims of the IKs, so in practice nothing is as neat and tidy as I might like it to be. On the other hand it's just 6 hours and you did call corsair a loser in 2011... :wth:

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
With all that in mind, how on God's good earth was that shimpost worthy of a ban?

How is someone saying they don't like another a bannable offense? Like seriously. Wtf.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
I was going to say a Lowtax joke but I might get banned :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

From the forum rules:

quote:

Respect the Mods and Writers: The moderators are here to keep the forums safe, sane, and secure. If they ask you to do something, please do it. Please do not harass or intentionally annoy the mods or insult the front page writers. If you do not like the mods or the moderation, feel free to not post here.

Harass and Sass: If somebody is harassing you on the forums then discuss it with them over PM or email before contacting a mod about it. Flames and insults do not constitute harassment. Please do not post others' personal information (phone number, addresses, emails, etc.). Try to stay out of other peoples' personal lives as well. Keep in mind there's a good distinction between the Internet and real life.

It says don't harass mods and then defines harassment. Specifically "flames and insults do not constitute harassment"

Now I don't think that you're namesearching yourself, ralp, but it's still a pretty sorry decision to dig up and ban for a week old post that didn't actually break the rules that you claim it did. So basically you're saying that the post "intentionally annoyed" you. This is where you need to get some thicker skin and take an insult. If you want it to be against the rules to insult a mod/admin, then you should actually put it in the rules.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
it's an internet gang war

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Ralp posted:

Ralp, you are a huge loving crybaby and I have no idea why anyone with such a thin skin was given administration rights. I think SA was a better place under the catlady brigade.

e: It's also bullshit that the only place for admin criticism is under the control of a clique of retards who should be rounded up and put into camps.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mr. Nice! posted:

From the forum rules:

It says don't harass mods and then defines harassment. Specifically "flames and insults do not constitute harassment"

Now I don't think that you're namesearching yourself, ralp, but it's still a pretty sorry decision to dig up and ban for a week old post that didn't actually break the rules that you claim it did. So basically you're saying that the post "intentionally annoyed" you. This is where you need to get some thicker skin and take an insult. If you want it to be against the rules to insult a mod/admin, then you should actually put it in the rules.

The best sea lawyers go on to be real ones. Good luck and godspeed Mr. Nice. May you defend our freedoms in the years to come :salute:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

quote:

This Stuff Annoys the Mods and Admins
Here are some general tips and posting pointers that the mods and admins do not like in general. We are including this list because, having run the forums for seven years, trends and catchphrases light up the place and catch on like wildfire. Unlike those other forums out there, we despise these things and feel they hinder creativity and humor.

Beginning a thread with "so," such as "So my parents got me pregnant today."
56k warnings. Less than 1% of our users still have 56k modems, so we do not need "[56k NO!]" warnings in thread titles.
Catchphrases in general. Just because somebody else wrote something humorous does not necessarily mean if you do the same thing then you will be humorous.
Backseat modding. We have more than enough mods and admins here. Please do not act like an armchair admin.
Internet lingo or slang of any sort. Please do not act as if you are posting through AIM.

Hell it doesn't even meet the criteria for "annoying" according to the rules.

The crux of the matter is, if you want to claim you're banning someone for breaking the rules, shouldn't you have an actual rule that they broke? Otherwise you're just banning someone because they insulted you and you're being thin-skinned about it. Insults aren't against the rules.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

USMC503 posted:

With all that in mind, how on God's good earth was that shimpost worthy of a ban?

How is someone saying they don't like another a bannable offense? Like seriously. Wtf.

quote:

the last time that human being mod ralp got ban happy.

I'll be hosed if I give these mooks a loving scheckel
Give me a break dude. You can't call mods faggots or whine about the time they banned you. That post is not even borderline or questionable at all.

tumblr.txt posted:

It's also bullshit that the only place for admin criticism is under the control of a clique of retards who should be rounded up and put into camps.

No, that's not correct. FYAD is the appropriate forum for flamewars and callouts and namecalling slapfights against any other user (not just admins). If you have actual constructive criticism for moderators or admins, QCS is the venue for that. But constructive criticism is completely different from sass; mod sass is not allowed in QCS either.

Personally I consider it a huge feature rather than a shortcoming that FYAD threads are required by the IKs to be funny, but as I mention in my previous post I understand the exclusivity can pose an obstacle. Regardless, QCS has no such barrier to entry.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
No justice. No peace. Goons lives matter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The only people the loving rules protect from insults are the front page writers and specifically says that insulats and flames aren't harassment.

Either apply the rules or just say that you're banning on a whim. Don't sit here and hide behind rules that are counter to your actions.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only people the loving rules protect from insults are the front page writers and specifically says that insulats and flames aren't harassment.

Either apply the rules or just say that you're banning on a whim. Don't sit here and hide behind rules that are counter to your actions.

The rule is Respect the Mods and Writers. Some examples mentioned of how to please not do that are: to harass or intentionally annoy the mods, or to insult the front page writers. Another combination would be harassing a front page writer, see how many others you can find.

If you do not like the mods or the moderation, feel free to not post here.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I never read this thread and didn't really notice Shim too much but why you get your feelings hurt so easy?

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grem posted:

I never read this thread and didn't really notice Shim too much but why you get your feelings hurt so easy?

Ralp posted:

I am not personally bothered in the slightest by reading mean things or whatever the assumption is. Rather, it's the same way goatse is bannable in GBS (or any worksafe forum): I am not upset by seeing hello.jpg, but it's bannable there simply because NWS content is prohibited in GBS.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Who the gently caress even is shim who the gently caress cares why the gently caress is GiP such a whiny bunch of drama queens this is why I'm glad I never joined the armed forecs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ralp posted:

The rule is Respect the Mods and Writers. Some examples mentioned of how to please not do that are: to harass or intentionally annoy the mods, or to insult the front page writers. Another combination would be harassing a front page writer, see how many others you can find.

If you do not like the mods or the moderation, feel free to not post here.

Then immediately following it defines harassment and specifically states that insults and flames are not harassment.

Edit: it even defines what constitutes annoying. None of which are just your personal feelings.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 4, 2015

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

someone just reached Section 230 of the 1996 Communications Decency Act in their college class.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The reason you can't post nws in gbs is because people get fired for browsing at work (time thieves who cares). The reason for not being able to insult mods is....

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Ralp posted:

Respectfully, has Lowtax said this in a public area? Because no-one has seen the 'tax around these parts for some time and you may be pulling a Weekend At Bernie's.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Mr. Ralp,

When i go to the country club, I pay the fee to have the janitors and groundskeepers to keep the place clean and beautiful, not to critique my swing or get pissy when I say "gently caress" after I hook the ball.

When I pay the guy at the car wash, I'm paying him to scrub my tires, vacuum the pain in the rear end creases in my seats and make my car sparkle, not to get offended when he turns my car on and hears music with swears in it.

When I pay my landscapers, it's because they have trimmed the hedges, pulled the weeds and took away all the yard waste, not for them to bemoan the fact that I have penis drawn in grease pencil on my guest bedroom window from a coworker who got drunk the night before.

Now if I went up to any of those men when they're just doing what I've paid them for and called them a human being, rear end in a top hat, limp-dick, pussy-rear end-bitch, cocksucker or any of the insults that I'm sure you've had thrown your way, I would rightly be denied service at any of their businesses because I would be an rear end in a top hat for doing so. But if they were to come in and try to enforce any of their own limp-wristed poo poo in my house while I'm talking to my friends, after I had paid them while doing a piss-poor job in what I had paid them to do, then I would assume we would have words about that.

I'm sure you're an alright guy in the real world, dude. The internet makes people weird caricatures of themselves when they engage others, its the blight of the times I'm sure. I'm also sure if we met at the bar in real life I'd buy you a drink and share a laugh with you at some of your crazier internet special ed assistant stories. But I also ask you to understand that the men and women who post here don't want you. Chances are 90% of us have a problem with authority from dealing with a system wherein 22 year old idiots are handed absolute power over out well-being because they got a degree from some diploma mill while they butt-chugged Bud-Lite for 4 years. Or some idiot mouth breather with no concept of how anything works outside the S-3 office he was put 7 years ago after it became apparent he couldn't be trusted with a loaded weapon. I'm not asking you no to admin, dude, not int he slightest. It's your job and a man has to do his job, I'm just asking you to pay attention to the street signs when you're on patrol.

We've built a very nice community here, we might be an angry group of 20-40 somethings calling one another every awful thing we can come up with, but we're also the only forum that invests in one another so intensely, the only one where almost all of us share the same ailments and triumphs. A military forum where more time is spent razzing one another, talking about shared interests and helping each other get help across all aspects of life from getting VA paperwork unfucked, tips for not sucking at Dark Souls and even the occasional talking someone out of hurting themselves when the terrible memories some of us are burdened with become a bit too much. We don;t sit around and post about race War, which gun is cooler and how Obama is a communist Muslim trying to ruin America, and you have no idea how incredibly rare that is for an online community of vets. I'm just asking that you let us keep ourselves that way and keep it here on these forums, because most of us don't know how to bookmark something new.

I mean no disrespect to you and your ilk, Ralp and I appreciate that being a wrangler of retards on the internet isn't easy and I do appreciate the difficulties of what you're trying to do.

Regards,

Booblord

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The point I'm making is that simple insults against anyone aren't against the rules as written except specifically for the front page writers.

If you want to ban someone for insulting you, at least have the sack to say "I'm banning someone for a week old post because they insulted me" not because they violated some rule that specifically says that insults don't fall in it.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Who the gently caress even is shim who the gently caress cares why the gently caress is GiP such a whiny bunch of drama queens this is why I'm glad I never joined the armed forecs

The real military is just like the NC except with more butt touching HTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Unban Shim. He's legitimately interesting to have around.

• Locked thread