Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Menamino posted:

marry, gently caress, kill

Also quite classy of the dude on the right (edelman?) to attempt to conceal his can of bud light in the grass next to him before taking the pic

I think Amendola, but everyone looks like Edleman next to Gronk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Reminder that we are discussing Buffalo's most recent playoff appearance right now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

football fuckerman posted:

perspective lmao

indeed, the 25 yard line moves depending on where you are

No, but the positioning of the passer and receiver certainly tricks your brain from that angle.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

quote:

Marques Eversoll ‏@MarquesEversoll
We've officially discovered the #Packers prototype for a LB.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
More like the Packers phenotype, amirite

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

JT Jag posted:

More like the Packers phenotype, amirite

Seahawks may beat women but at least we aren't white supremacists.

Moral high ground reclaimed.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Philadelphia Eagles lost a true hero and legend today. RIP Frank Olivo, the 1968 Snowball Santa. You will be missed but continue to live on in dumb intern forum conversations forever. :tastykake:

Also, this Chip Kelly quote.

https://instagram.com/p/2MFcinHtlN/

"I don't think about what I think as much as you think about what I think."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

Honestly unless you're a Titans fan looking to bust my balls you should probably just nod and slowly back away when I get like this, because this is a hill I am more than willing to die on

I :lol:'ed

Fair enough, bro.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Nah. It's called billy Lynn's long halftime walk. War movie.

Why isn't it being filmed in the Jerrydome? Great book btw.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Santa Claus is dead and the Eagles killed him. (The Santa Claus who Eagles fans pelted with snowballs back in the 60s died today)

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/5/2/8536125/philadelphia-fans-santa-claus-snowball-eagles-fans-1968-frank-olivo

quote:

The list of Philadelphia sports greats is long and storied, and earlier this week, the city lost another. While he was far from a household name, sports fans the world over knew his story, for better or worse. Frank Olivo, the substitute Santa Claus who was pelted with snowballs during an Eagles game in 1968, passed away Thursday night. He was 66.

The story of Olivo and this event have been used by fans and Eagles haters alike to demonstrate either the passion or vitriol of Eagles fans, depending upon which side the storyteller fell. But the real story goes like this: in 1968 the Eagles were in the midst of yet another terrible season.

Ownership had dismantled the once-proud franchise, trading away Eagles great Sonny Jurgensen. Sitting at 2-12, the Eagles were terrible, but not terrible enough to land the first overall pick in the 1969 Draft. With that pick, the Eagles could have rebuilt their roster around USC phenom O.J. Simpson.

Instead, the 54,535 fans in attendance watched their team lose yet another game at Franklin Field. The halftime show that day was supposed to be a Christmas pageant, but with the snowstorm, the team made a last second audible. Instead, a 19-year-old Olivo, who was already wearing a Santa suit, was recruited to jog the field.

From Glen Macnow and Anthony Gargano's book The Great Philadelphia Fan Book, via USA Today:

"Santa had it coming for a different reason actually," says Macnow. "Santa was a surrogate that day for Joe Kuharich and Jerry Wolman and Norm Snead. The poor kid just happened to be representing the frustrations."

In true Philadelphia fashion, Olivo understood the frustration, and always seemed to take the even in stride. In Macnow and Gargano's book, Olivo says, "I'm a Philadelphia fan, I knew what was what. I thought it was funny."

To many Eagles fans, the story of that fateful day in 1968 is as familiar as the story of Santa Claus himself. And while most never knew the name of that teenage St. Nick, he was something of a folk legend to those who call Philadelphia home. And for that, Olivo will always have a special place in Eagles history.

edit: beaten by DOOP. That'll learn me.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 2, 2015

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Frank Olivo made me look up Brock Olivo (not really good at all but still awesome running back who was loving loved at Mizzou in the 90s). He's an assistant special teams coach for the Chiefs now, I had no clue.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Couldn't find a single brother on the entire team to tag along?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cascadia Pirate posted:

Why isn't it being filmed in the Jerrydome? Great book btw.

Tax incentives, available crews, etc.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I am pleased overall with the Lions draft. Mayhew went out and managed to wheel and deal to get a pick in every single round, and if Ameer Abdullah doesn't continue to be a fumbling machine, I think i'll like the draft class even more. It's nice to see them go out and get some protection for Stafford in the first round, as well. I think they could've done a little better on the DT front, but we'll see what happens there.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Ribsauce posted:

Horse racing? More like horse racism! :v:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

They got one! and it's the Kentucky Derby, it couldn't get more white if Kenny Chesney started singing.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

There aren't many occasions to wear baby blue sports jackets and look respectable, but standing at the Kentucky Derby with a Gronk for comparison might do it.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
hahaha they left before the race started to get to Mayweather Paq

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/2/8537681/the-patriots-went-to-the-kentucky-derby-but-flew-out-before-the-race

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

God drat the Pats remind me of my cousins, pretty cool for white supremacists.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think it's cool how those multi-millionaires who manage to go to two of the largest sports events of the spring on the same day still place their half-empty Bud Light cans on a poorly maintained lawn underneath a Planet Fitness billboard just like the rest of us, btw.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

They got one! and it's the Kentucky Derby, it couldn't get more white if Kenny Chesney started singing.

Sounds like a perfect place for Riley Cooper.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Any of these udfa talented enough to make the roster?

Cody Prewitt S Ole Miss
Cody Riggs CB Notre Dame
Toby Johnson DT Georgia
Quinton Spain OG West Virginia
Derrick Lott DL Tenn-Chattanooga
Lucas Vincent DL Mizzou
JR Tavai LB USC
Curtis Riley CB Fresno State
Josue Matias OL Florida State

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Metapod posted:

Cody Prewitt S Ole Miss
Cody Riggs CB Notre Dame
Toby Johnson DT Georgia
Lucas Vincent DL Mizzou
JR Tavai LB USC

Spain, Matias, Prewitt maybe. Matias especially, Prewitt probably as special teams.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Metapod posted:

Cody Prewitt S Ole Miss
Cody Riggs CB Notre Dame
Toby Johnson DT Georgia
Lucas Vincent DL Mizzou
JR Tavai LB USC

I'm a massive Georgia homer and I have never heard of Toby Johnson.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

Cody Prewitt S Ole Miss
Cody Riggs CB Notre Dame
Toby Johnson DT Georgia
Lucas Vincent DL Mizzou
JR Tavai LB USC

Vincent's a one gap inside type who probably isn't quick enough. He'll have been well coached at least.

Maybe he could work his way into a rotation.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Coldforge posted:

Spain, Matias, Prewitt maybe. Matias especially, Prewitt probably as special teams.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm a massive Georgia homer and I have never heard of Toby Johnson.

Grittybeard posted:

Vincent's a one gap inside type who probably isn't quick enough. He'll have been well coached at least.

Maybe he could work his way into a rotation.

appreciate all of this

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wolverines QB Devin Gardner has signed a UDFA contract with the Patriots as a WR.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Falcons signed the other Kevin White. I know a few goons thought he was good so cool I guess.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
e: wrong thread

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Shath Hole posted:

Falcons signed the other Kevin White. I know a few goons thought he was good so cool I guess.

Yeah, I like him. He's not great, but he'll be a solid CB for you.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Gonz posted:

Wolverines QB Devin Gardner has signed a UDFA contract with the Patriots as a WR.

gently caress I thought they'd take sims since he's shorter like Edelman

is anybody going to take Blake :(

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
N: chance warmack graduated today

V: good for him :)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JanayRice/status/594739047966371840

@JanayRice
My husband hits harder than mayweather #BoxingIsDead #MacPac #MayPac

:stare:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chris James 2 posted:

@JanayRice

Wow

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Chris James 2 posted:

@JanayRice

I don't often say this, but hot drat I hope she got hacked.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
:holymoley:

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I don't often say this, but hot drat I hope she got hacked.

Personally I hope it's because they're getting divorced and Janay's about to walk away with half of Ray Rice's money

cuz if so :iceburn:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
It's a fake account. She doesn't have twitter

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Waaa football's gone away for months now :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Ray Rice is gone. He was one of the best reasons to watch the ravens for years and a crucial part of the superbowl team. I'll always remember "hey diddle diddle, ray rice up the middle" even with the black clouds surrounding it. What he did was shameful, and him being gone means I don't have to taint his legacy with the ravens. I can always tell myself while watching those old highlights, that he was a good person during his time with the ravens. Having said that, the criticisms of Janay by those supposedly most concerned by her well being is gross. I know some of it is in jest...But much truth is said in jest. Her marrying Ray is not an indictment of her intelligence. If she chose to forgive Ray, that's between two people, macro ideologies like feminism or tough on crime philosophies have nothing to do with it. Hate Ray for how lovely a person he is, but recognize love is complicated and she's trying to do the best by her, regardless of the spectre of gender equality and domestic violence. Think what you will about this paragraph, it says exactly what I think so if you wish to have the last word by all means, I have no desire to start a derail over this. There's other hills worth dying on.

Having said all that, I'm pretty sure that's a fake account so whatever ignore everything that I posted previously if you wish.

In football news, I think the Ravens absolutely killed it in the draft. Nick Boyle is meh but in the 4th? no complaints. We made great BPA/need picks in the first 3 rounds and grabbed some raw talent late. We had 5 picks in rounds 4-5! One or two of those guys should pan out to something useful. Ozzie did great, let's see how Harbaugh (and to some extent Bobby Engram, our WR coach. (Yah, that Bobby Engram)) does with this haul.

• Locked thread