Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The key words in what I said are "proprietary hack;" I don't think there's anything in the Android license saying they can't lock everything down themselves and attempt to block rooting. It would also allow them to break compatibility with non-Nintendo devices for apps designed to run on their thing.

Basically this could mean anything from "we are just putting stock Android on our next thing like dumbasses" to "our next system is technically based off the Android kernel, but might as well be a custom OS."

If we're basing things off Nintendo's previous efforts my hopes really are not set high. All their previous systems could be cracked rather easily. Not only that they've never really done the Operating Systems all that well and the layout leaves much to be desired.

I just really hope the NX or whatever doesn't just use the Mobile type games as it's ace in the hole. Mobile games are widespread, yes. But you buy a specialized gaming console if you don't want to play crap like that. Yeah they have those Puzzles and Dragon games on the 3ds already but they pale in Comparison to things like Bravely Default or Xenoblade.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

RoanHorse posted:

It's a high production value remake of postal 1 with worse writing and no self awareness. Not saying it's bad but there are better things out there

lol

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm so triggered I had to use 4 guns to get the massacre bonus.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
RoanHorse I don't think you've even played the game...

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm curious now. What are the good and bad points about Hatred?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
it is a game where you go arounnd killing people in whatever brutal twisted fashion you prefer, there's no humor to it, it's deathly serious

it is a murder simulator with destructible environments, for all intents and purposes. which is to some people's taste, not mine though

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

RoanHorse I don't think you've even played the game...

I'm already making a total conversion where you get high and experience synaesthesia on a space station infested with zombies so w/e

Gonzo Dead Rising, aka Synest Dead

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nasgate posted:

This coming from the one who commended dark souls story telling. Oh stux.

i don't get it, dark souls tells story through the world. the item descriptions are not necessary nor are they as long or numerous as the scans and they are often unreliable narrators. dark souls is the spiritual successor to super metroid. metroid prime is the spiritual successor to a turd

Alain Post posted:

It was poo poo for having a story that was horribly unsuited to the shooter genre. Shooters are generally very simple games and don't work with moral ambiguity or basically anything that will get in the way of "kill the bad guys".

I am including Spec Ops because Spec Ops was liquid dogshit.

nonsense, you might as well say films should be about the cinematography only and not have a story. infinite was poo poo because the gameplay was poo poo and the story was poo poo.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That's... actually not a bad plan, though? Like, I can think of a lot of benefits for moving to a proprietary Android hack and not a lot of downsides.

it's nintendo, they can hardly manage working with their own codebase let alone trying to adapt someone else's

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

nonsense, you might as well say films should be about the cinematography only and not have a story. infinite was poo poo because the gameplay was poo poo and the story was poo poo.

This is not a perfect comparison, but it's more like saying you shouldn't shoot a period epic with Bourne-style shakycam closeups, because it would look absurd and be completely unsuitable for the material. shooters work a certain way mechanically- I don't want to call it a "simple" genre, because there are a ton of shooters with complex play and high skill ceilings, sup Quake 3- but it's simple in the sense that it's a game where your immediate goal is generally very clear and unambiguous- you kill the guys and move to the next area, or kill the guys before the time runs out, or whatever. That is not a framework that lends itself to thoughtful storytelling.

BSI trying to make the two factions morally ambiguous was bad in itself, but it was also bad because you never, ever have to think about this when you play the game. What bad guys do you shoot? The ones who happen to be trying to kill you at that moment. It's not ambiguous because your enemies are always completely unambiguous- the only thing that changes is how they look. And then there's also poo poo like Max Payne 3 trying to have Max's downward spiral into self-destructive violence that just completely clashes with the unavoidable fact that the game rewards you with violence by letting you progress further into the game, getting you closer to winning.

i'm not saying stop making games with stories. i'm saying stop trying to cram serious stories into shooters because shooters are kind of inherently absurd. what's the last serious movie you watched where the main character murdered 50 people between every dialogue scene?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Strangely enough, the cinematography is partly why I'm looking forward to Phantom Pain.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alain Post posted:

This is not a perfect comparison, but it's more like saying you shouldn't shoot a period epic with Bourne-style shakycam closeups, because it would look absurd and be completely unsuitable for the material. shooters work a certain way mechanically- I don't want to call it a "simple" genre, because there are a ton of shooters with complex play and high skill ceilings, sup Quake 3- but it's simple in the sense that it's a game where your immediate goal is generally very clear and unambiguous- you kill the guys and move to the next area, or kill the guys before the time runs out, or whatever. That is not a framework that lends itself to thoughtful storytelling.

BSI trying to make the two factions morally ambiguous was bad in itself, but it was also bad because you never, ever have to think about this when you play the game. What bad guys do you shoot? The ones who happen to be trying to kill you at that moment. And then there's also poo poo like Max Payne 3 trying to have Max's downward spiral into self-destructive violence that just completely clashes with the unavoidable fact that the game rewards you with violence by letting you progress further into the game, getting you closer to winning.

i'm not saying stop making games with stories. i'm saying stop trying to cram serious stories into shooters because shooters are kind of inherently absurd. what's the last serious movie you watched where the main character murdered 50 people between every dialogue scene?

this is still nonsense I don't even know what your point is other than because lots or nearly all shooters have you rampaging through 100s of enemies without thinking it means it's impossible to make one where you don't do that which is just even more nonsense.

to ur last question: oldboy idiot. actually there are tons of films that do that. also tons that don't. also a lot in the middle. stop making up arbitrary boundaries. infinites story wouldn't have suddenly worked in another genre: the entire story is trash as is the writing, that's the issue.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hrm I do believe this piece of media may only apply these tropes due to the genre:

- you an idiot who would probably use the word tropes like this

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stux posted:

it's nintendo, they can hardly manage working with their own codebase let alone trying to adapt someone else's

outsource it to NOA, hire people from the Valley with Android kernel experience? v:v:v

also what the gently caress Oldboy has like one big action scene in the entire movie, The Raid 2 would be a better comparison for FPS games and that movie is in and of itself noteworthy for it. (it's also almost 3 hours long, straight-up because the characters make their way from drama scene to drama scene by wrecking everybody.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

this is still nonsense I don't even know what your point is other than because lots or nearly all shooters have you rampaging through 100s of enemies without thinking it means it's impossible to make one where you don't do that which is just even more nonsense.

well, i mean, people have been trying to do this for a while, and it hasn't been working. which could mean that nobody's done it correctly yet, but it could also mean that it's just a bad idea. and i'm not slamming against "mature shooters" to be an rear end in a top hat, i'm doing it because the "mature shooter" was some kind of weird game designer/writer holy grail for a while, which is why BS:I got so much effusive hype from the "smart press" before it was even released.

and, once again, i'm not saying "no stories in my shooter games", i'm saying that shooter games should have stories that don't badly clash with how a shooter game actually functions. this is true with all games, but the constrained nature of the genre does kinda make unique challenges for this compared to, say, an RPG. there's a reason that so many shooters are war games, and it's not entirely related to some thinkpiece about military worship- it's because when you're dealing with a framework that requires the player to murder a bunch of people and have this be a good thing, you're kind of limited in what you can do story-wise if you want to make this "realistic".

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I made the new chat thread for June because no one else was going to apparently.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723518&perpage=40#post446042718

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
and yeah. all rules have exceptions, i'm not going to deny that. if you know what you're doing, there are no "rules" to art. but there aren't that many people working in the mainstream publishers today that really strike me as skilled artists that know what they're doing. Ken loving Levine?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

outsource it to NOA, hire people from the Valley with Android kernel experience? v:v:v

also what the gently caress Oldboy has like one big action scene in the entire movie, The Raid 2 would be a better comparison for FPS games and that movie is in and of itself noteworthy for it. (it's also almost 3 hours long, straight-up because the characters make their way from drama scene to drama scene by wrecking everybody.)

dunno it just popped to mind but there are s ton of examples available

Alain Post posted:

well, i mean, people have been trying to do this for a while, and it hasn't been working. which could mean that nobody's done it correctly yet, but it could also mean that it's just a bad idea. and i'm not slamming against "mature shooters" to be an rear end in a top hat, i'm doing it because the "mature shooter" was some kind of weird game designer/writer holy grail for a while, which is why BS:I got so much effusive hype from the "smart press" before it was even released.

and, once again, i'm not saying "no stories in my shooter games", i'm saying that shooter games should have stories that don't badly clash with how a shooter game actually functions. this is true with all games, but the constrained nature of the genre does kinda make unique challenges for this compared to, say, an RPG. there's a reason that so many shooters are war games, and it's not entirely related to some thinkpiece about military worship- it's because when you're dealing with a framework that requires the player to murder a bunch of people and have this be a good thing, you're kind of limited in what you can do story-wise if you want to make this "realistic".

I think there are plenty of shooter games with stories that work. they aren't loving war and peace but that's more down to the industry and youth of the medium in general rather than some inability to make a story around shooting people. lots of shooters are war games like you said, and there are a lot of war based films and stories, so that doesn't hold up as the genre being an issue at all.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
dead thread floatin'

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

dunno it just popped to mind but there are s ton of examples available

I think there are plenty of shooter games with stories that work. they aren't loving war and peace but that's more down to the industry and youth of the medium in general rather than some inability to make a story around shooting people. lots of shooters are war games like you said, and there are a lot of war based films and stories, so that doesn't hold up as the genre being an issue at all.

there are, but you run into the issue that in shooter games, shooting people is inherently good, as in, it gets you closer to the end (one difference between games and other media that doesn't get brought up enough: we don't read a book or watch a film with the inherent understanding that getting to the end is a "good" thing like we do when we play a linear game). and, once again, this doesn't mean you can't have stories in shooters- that is not what I've been trying to say. but like, Wolfenstein 2014 is not going to work if you try to cram your adaptation of Paths of Glory into it or some poo poo. that game had a great shooter story- because it absolutely worked in the context of "the player is going to want to murder all these Nazis real hard"

anyway, dead thread

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alain Post posted:

there are, but you run into the issue that in shooter games, shooting people is inherently good, as in, it gets you closer to the end (one difference between games and other media that doesn't get brought up enough: we don't read a book or watch a film with the inherent understanding that getting to the end is a "good" thing like we do when we play a linear game). and, once again, this doesn't mean you can't have stories in shooters- that is not what I've been trying to say. but like, Wolfenstein 2014 is not going to work if you try to cram your adaptation of Paths of Glory into it or some poo poo. that game had a great shooter story- because it absolutely worked in the context of "the player is going to want to murder all these Nazis real hard"

anyway, dead thread

uhh it's only inherently good if it's been framed that way by the game, which again shows that the medium is immature and that that is the issue. your last point is so ridiculous I don't even know how to approach it I mean the judge dredd film wouldn't work if you tried to put the story from saving private ryan in it. that doesn't mean that pointing that out is some kind of useful commentary on the ability of films to tell a story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Not ending this thread with a stux post. Semper Games.

• Locked thread