Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Because the other one was started by stux and it has a terrible title and a bunch of people crying about hatred instead of ignoring it, post here instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

greetings

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hi

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
video games are pretty sweet

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the daily puzzle for Hexcells is pretty devious today

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Bideo games are the devil.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
you are now manually reading page one of the video games chat thread

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
this is a much better thread.

got a brand new wiiu boxed up in front of me ready for some sweet gaming!!

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I approve of this thread. Stux can go suck on an Apple.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

gently caress you rear end in a top hat

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hatred is an upcoming shooter video game developed by Destructive Creations and scheduled for release on June 1st, 2015 on Microsoft Windows. The player-character is a mass-killing sociopath who hates humanity and begins a "genocide crusade"[1] to kill innocent civilians and police officers. The developer described Hatred as a reaction to video game aesthetic trends such as political correctness, politeness, vivid color, and games as art. Its October 2014 announcement trailer was characterized as "controversial" by multiple video game bloggers.[2][3] The game was shortly removed by the Valve service Steam Greenlight due to its violent content but was later brought back with a personal apology from Gabe Newell.[4] It was then successfully greenlit on December 29, 2014.

Contents [hide]
1 Gameplay
2 Development
3 Reception
3.1 Announcement trailer
4 References
5 External links
Gameplay[edit]
In Hatred, a shooter video game presented in isometric perspective,[1] the player-character is a mass-killing villain (Clint Woods) who hates humanity and begins a "genocide crusade"[1] to kill innocent civilians and police officers.[5] He can use these individuals as human shields.[1]

Development[edit]
My name is not important. What is important is what I'm going to do ... I just fuckin' hate this world. And the human worms feasting on its carcass. My whole life is just cold, bitter hatred. And I always wanted to die violently. This is the time of vengeance and no life is worth saving. And I will put in the grave as many as I can. It's time for me to kill. And it's time for me to die. My genocide crusade begins here.

“”
Hatred announcement trailer, October 2014[1]
Hatred is the first game by Destructive Creations, a video game developer based in Gliwice, Poland. Most of their staff formerly worked at another Polish developer, The Farm 51.[5]

Destructive Creations announced Hatred on October 16, 2014,[5] with a trailer that multiple video game journalists described as "controversial".[2][3] The developer described Hatred as a reaction to a trend of political correctness in video games, and sought to make a game that eschewed politeness, colorfulness, and games as art.[1] In this way, they also sought to make a game that recalled the industry's history as "a rebellious medium" and surface-level entertainment with no insertion of "any fake philosophy".[6] While the trailer was intended to be provocative, Destructive Creations CEO Jarosław Zieliński did not anticipate the magnitude of the reaction and supportive fan mail. He added that he did not think the trailer crossed a moral boundary, and that those who disagreed could choose to not play it.[2] In an interview with Vice‍‍ '​‍s Motherboard, Zieliński noted that the dark ambient music within the game as well as the character design were intentionally made to be devoid of joy, stating that "I don’t want to justify anything. I want the player to ask: why."[7] The game uses the Unreal Engine 4 game engine and Nvidia PhysX physics. The Unreal logo was removed from the trailer at the request of Unreal developer Epic Games.[2]

Hatred is scheduled for release in Q2 2015 on Microsoft Windows.[8] They chose the single platform due to the team's small size, and hope to distribute the game through Steam and GOG.com if allowed.[3] On December 15, 2014, Hatred briefly appeared on Steam Greenlight, but was promptly removed, with a Steam representative stating that the company "would not publish Hatred."[9] On December 16, the game was returned to the service,[10] and an apology to the development team was sent by Gabe Newell.[4] Following this, it became the most voted game on the service[11] and was approved successfully on December 29.[12] In January 2015, Hatred was given an "Adults Only" (AO) rating by the ESRB, which would effectively prevent any mainstream distribution of the game at retail or on video game consoles. It is the third video game, behind Thrill Kill and Manhunt 2, that received an AO rating for extreme violence rather than sexual content.[13][14] One of its developers disputed the rating, stating that they were "not quite convinced" about the rating due to its association with sexually explicit games, adding that "it's still some kind of achievement to have the second game in history getting AO rating for violence and harsh language only. Even if this violence isn't really that bad and this harsh language isn't overused."[15][16][17]

The second trailer was released on January 29, 2015 along with pre-order details. It showed new weapons such as a flamethrower and new execution animations.[18]

Developers claim that shortly after the release, developer tools for Hatred will be made available.[19]

Reception[edit]
Announcement trailer[edit]
Several video game press outlets responded to the game's announcement trailer, particularly in condemnation of its "portrayal of wanton violence".[20] Polygon‍‍ '​‍s Colin Campbell wrote that they responded to the press release "with genuine revulsion".[1] They described the trailer as "grisly",[5] "extremely violent, and very tacky".[1] PC Magazine‍‍ '​‍s David Murphy wrote to "get ready for the backlash about the ultra-violent shooter ... if this game is ever released".[3] He compared the game to Manhunt, Postal, and Mortal Kombat—other video games once considered controversial for their amount of violence—and felt that Hatred "will generate just as much controversy".[3] The trailer attracted defense of the game's right to freedom of expression, but Polygon reported that no outlet requested censorship of the game.[6]

Although some noted that the player had just as much capacity to kill innocents in game series such as Grand Theft Auto or Fallout, Paul Tassi of Forbes noted that those games penalized such actions in ways Hatred did not, as violence was "literally ... the entire content of the game".[21] Mike Splechta of GameZone questioned the game's timing and how it could become the "next scapegoat" in a climate that already held video games responsible for school shootings and other violence.[8] Polygon‍‍ '​‍s Ben Kuchera wrote that the trailer was a "rhetorical failure" in that it attempted to shock viewers, but ultimately reflected juvenile attention-seeking reminiscent of the Slipknot-style, 1990s "shock culture" aesthetic.[22] In response, Destructive Creations' CEO felt that the trailer's "so called 'shock tactic' [did] its job very well", and added that the industry reaction to the trailer reflected the political correctness—"the way we are told and taught to think"—against which the game rebelled.[6] When questioned about an affiliation between the company and the Polish anti-Islamic organization Polska Liga Obrony based on a public Facebook Like, Destructive Creations responded that they did not support the organization,[20] were against "totalitarian ideologies", and appreciated the publicity despite its malevolence.[23]

The second trailer, titled Devastation, received similar criticism, with Polygon calling it "just as vicious and cynical as the first trailer."[24]

Forbes, The Guardian, and Rock, Paper, Shotgun have described Hatred as a "mass murder simulator".[21][25][26]

References[edit]
^ Jump up to: a b c d e f g h Campbell, Colin (October 16, 2014). "The worst trailer of the year revels in slaughtering innocents". Polygon. Vox Media. Archived from the original on October 16, 2014. Retrieved October 16, 2014.
^ Jump up to: a b c d Matulef, Jeffrey (October 16, 2014). "Civilian massacring game Hatred courts controversy, gets it". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Archived from the original on October 16, 2014. Retrieved October 16, 2014.
^ Jump up to: a b c d e Murphy, David (October 16, 2014). "Trailer for Disturbing Mass Murder Game, Hatred, Stirs Controversy". PC Magazine. Ziff Davis. Archived from the original on October 16, 2014. Retrieved October 16, 2014.
^ Jump up to: a b Crossley, Rob. "Gabe Newell Steps in to Reinstate Controversial Shooter on Steam". GameSpot.
^ Jump up to: a b c d McWhertor, Michael (October 16, 2014). "Epic Games distances itself from ultraviolent mass-murder game Hatred". Polygon. Vox Media. Archived from the original on October 16, 2014. Retrieved October 16, 2014.
^ Jump up to: a b c Campbell, Colin (October 17, 2014). "The man who made that Hatred trailer says the game is all about honesty". Polygon. Vox Media. Archived from the original on October 18, 2014. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
Jump up ^ USMANI, BASIM. "Meet the Creator of the Year's Most Hated Video Game". Motherboard. Vice Media. Retrieved 2015-01-01.
^ Jump up to: a b Splechta, Mike (October 16, 2014). "Hatred puts you in the shoes of a mass murderer". GameZone. Archived from the original on October 19, 2014. Retrieved October 19, 2014.
Jump up ^ Valve pulls Hatred from Greenlight, calling it unpublishable. Gamasutra.
Jump up ^ Hillier, Brenda (2014-12-17). "Hatred mysteriously returns to Steam Greenlight". VG247. Retrieved 2014-12-17.
Jump up ^ Orland, Kyle. "Controversial shooter Hatred reinstated on Steam Greenlight". Ars Technica.
Jump up ^ "'Hatred' gets approved on Steam Greenlight". GamePolitics.com. December 30, 2014. Retrieved January 24, 2015.
Jump up ^ "EA kills 'Thrill Kill' game before release". ZDNet. 15 October 1998. Archived from the original on 16 November 2006. Retrieved 18 December 2006.
Jump up ^ "The Manhunt Saga: ESRB assigns AO rating". Ars Technica. Condé Nast Publications. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
Jump up ^ "Hatred given Adults Only rating in US and Canada". Polygon. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
Jump up ^ "Why the Adults Only rating may be pointless and harmful to games as an art form". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
Jump up ^ "A history of (muted) violence". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
Jump up ^ "Hatred Opens Pre-Orders, Gets New Trailer". HardcoreGamer. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
Jump up ^ Witczak, Mateusz (2015). "Hatred". CD-Action (in Polish) (Warsaw: Wydawnictwo Bauer). April 04/2015 (241): pp. 30–31. ISSN 1426-2916.
^ Jump up to: a b Hall, Charlie (October 20, 2014). "CEO behind Hatred responds to accusations of neo-Nazi, anti-Islamic affiliation". Polygon. Vox Media. Archived from the original on October 22, 2014. Retrieved October 22, 2014.
^ Jump up to: a b Tassi, Paul (November 16, 2014). "The Video Game Morality Questions Raised By Mass Murder Simulator, 'Hatred'". Forbes. Archived from the original on April 1, 2015. Retrieved April 29, 2015.
Jump up ^ Kuchera, Ben (October 17, 2014). "Shock culture is dead, making the Hatred trailer powerless and nearly comical". Polygon. Vox Media. Archived from the original on October 18, 2014. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
Jump up ^ Hall, Charlie (October 21, 2014). "Team behind Hatred lashes out in blog post, thanks press for attention". Polygon. Vox Media. Archived from the original on October 22, 2014. Retrieved October 22, 2014.
Jump up ^ Campbell, Colin. "New Hatred trailer is just as vile as the last one". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
Jump up ^ Stuart, Keith (December 16, 2014). "Hatred shooter removed from Steam gaming site". The Guardian. Archived from the original on April 25, 2015. Retrieved April 29, 2015.
Jump up ^ Walker, John (December 16, 2014). "Valve "Would Not Publish" Hatred, Deletes From Greenlight". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Archived from the original on April 29, 2015. Retrieved April 29, 2015.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Check out that wikipedia article where every source is a polygon post

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Adam Bowen posted:

It's almost like Polygon has an agenda.

Huh, Stux got probated again.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Adam Bowen posted:

english 103: researching polygon posts

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Is that a Metal Slug F2P moba that I see on Steam today? what the gently caress

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Adam Bowen posted:

Is that a Metal Slug F2P moba that I see on Steam today? what the gently caress

Kinda, it's a Pay to Win iOS port with over 100 dollars of DLC.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So Wolfenstein: The Old Blood comes out in 5 days. Killing Nazis on the moon was fun, can't wait to kill them from beyond the grave.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Witcher 3 is game of the year.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Witcher 3 is game of the year.

I think you misspelled Bloodborne.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

theultimo posted:

I think you misspelled Bloodborne.

nah but bloodborne is alright

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I never played Witcher 2 and I don't have time for a 60 hour game so I'm skipping Witcher 3 for now. Goondolences

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I still haven't beaten The Witcher 1, so by the time I get to the Witcher 3 I'll probably have a better card to do it justice.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

I still haven't beaten The Witcher 1, so by the time I get to the Witcher 3 I'll probably have a better card to do it justice.

Skip W1, is alright, but your time is better served with W2.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

DiRT Rally is out on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/310560

It is early access but do not let that fool you, its already the best rally game I've ever played. The game has no nonsense menus (no xgames vibes here) and doing a long multistage race it really does start to feel like "the dark souls" of rally games. The music is terrible and nondescript though. Oh well!

Its freaking gorgeous and it even has motion blur I don't hate. 5/5.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Unless there are turtle shells and banana peels nobody cares about dumb racing games

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

Unless there are turtle shells and banana peels nobody cares about dumb racing games

now i want to see these rendered in that game as realistically as everything else

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I reinstalled SimCoaster today

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't play dirt rally on my PC and it sounds like there won't be a ps4 version. :/

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I can't play dirt rally on my PC and it sounds like there won't be a ps4 version. :/
Why not? It runs really well on my EVGA 760

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Raskolnikov posted:

Why not? It runs really well on my EVGA 760

I have a gtx 460.

[edit]
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/04/27/codemasters-set-bringing-dirt-rally-console-eventually/ Turns out Dirt Rally is coming to consoles after all. So i'll just wait for that. Probably at the exact same time as PC version is finished anyways.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 1, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

not enough anime

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
thank god a trhead without cum and balls in it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Isn't Adam Bowen notorious for something? I feel like I'm supposed to make fun of them but I can't remember why.

Anyway, I finally tried out Ys felghana after it being on my wishlist for a long time without me knowing why I added some anime poo poo to my list. Turns out it's a fun game with skippable yammering.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

the more i hear about the success of yooka-layee the more i am convinced that mirrcosoft really dropped the ball on anything related to anyhting that is banjo-kazooie. microsoft had a child friendly mascot similar to yoshi but decided not to do anything about it. as of right now seeing this game approaching 1 million dollars on kickstarter which basically surpassed all the kickstarter goals. way to go phil, all you had to do in annouce a new banjo but you couldn't even bother with that. now we have something like yooka-layee (with similar font) instead. this is just like whole mighty no. 9 all over again. but hey, I am not complaining.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Even if they finish at 4 or 5 million dollars that isn't the kind of money that big game publishers get excited about. It's not like they missed out on the next big thing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that's 4 or 5 million they're being paid to make the game. they still get to sell the game afterwards too

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Ms wouldn't give Phantom Dust more than 5mil on a anticipated exclusive, I doubt 5 million on an indie platformer would happen

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Been playing Pokemon Blue

Here's my team:

Blastoise
Raichu
Pidgeot
Hypno
Snorloax
(trynna get a Pinsir, son. Ya feel?)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i really really really really want to like yooka-laylee but the character designs actively give me cancer and the title is loving terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yooka would be rad if he wasn't loving eye-searing neon green, laylee would be rad if she was something entirely different and not the result of a horrible teleporter accident between stitch and rodan

• Locked thread