Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah...

It's due for a comeback. The reason it went away is because the license holders kept pushing for realism, and having the license guaranteed much higher sales, so it just kept getting more and more loving boring.

There WAS a Blood Bowl video game not too long ago, but it was a replication of the surprisingly unfun tabletop game instead of being Mario Kart But With Football And Blood.

The whole NFL/concussions thing has probably put the kibosh on future NFL Street-type games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Concept: NFL Streep, where every player is Meryl Streep. You'd only have to license one celebrity voice and likeness!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also the next nintendo system is Android based. They have learned....nothing!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That's... actually not a bad plan, though? Like, I can think of a lot of benefits for moving to a proprietary Android hack and not a lot of downsides.

Nintendo bring back sidetalking, pls and thx

e: I will also say that I like the idea of a Nintendroid phone with decent hardware buttons and access to the eShop. Make it like the sidekick but another screen instead of a keyboard.

Manky fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 1, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ChickenMedium posted:

The whole NFL/concussions thing has probably put the kibosh on future NFL Street-type games.

Just man up and take the loving license off, jeez.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
the games industry is full of stupid poo poo like one company having an eternal patent on loading screen minigames.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

if you do not laugh at the guys reply then i do not know what to say other than i am sorry you do not find it as funny as me

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Excels posted:

the games industry is full of stupid poo poo like one company having an eternal patent on loading screen minigames.

That's expiring in a year or so but it also doesn't matter now that all the cool kids have SSDs.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
How does Nintendo get away with the one in Splatoon, is it because its on the tablet while the TV has the loading screen?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

How does Nintendo get away with the one in Splatoon, is it because its on the tablet while the TV has the loading screen?

there's no way they could sue nintendo, even if they thought it counted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

VideoGames posted:

if you do not laugh at the guys reply then i do not know what to say other than i am sorry you do not find it as funny as me

I was yeah...ing your post!!! Like in Miiverse! smh

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I was yeah...ing your post!!! Like in Miiverse! smh

you forgot the exclamation mark!!!!! smh

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Excels posted:

there's no way they could sue nintendo, even if they thought it counted.

Reminds me of when there was some sort of legal debacle over allegedly stolen tech used in vibrating controllers during the Xbox/PS2/GameCube era. Sony got sued while Nintendo was laughing because they developed their own tech.

Microsoft of course just bought them out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Excels posted:

never heard of this before and now it makes so much sense and also pisses me off at the same time

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The company you're thinking of is Namco btw. They patented it shortly after the release of Tekken 2.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
speaking of adventure games im waiting for iron from ice to finish before i look into it; hows that going?

computer parts posted:

all the cool kids have SSDs.
u/n + post combo

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Reminds me of when there was some sort of legal debacle over allegedly stolen tech used in vibrating controllers during the Xbox/PS2/GameCube era. Sony got sued while Nintendo was laughing because they developed their own tech.

Microsoft of course just bought them out.

Phillips actually proved Nintendo stole some of their ideas for the Wiimote sensor tech, if I recall. Nintendo had to give them a small percent of all sales for certain devices

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lady Naga posted:

Does anyone know what the gently caress happened to the entire genre of arcade-y sports games? I understand that with EA just outright buying the NFL license it's a lot harder to make a successful football game that isn't Madden but the only surviving type of arcade sport is racing, and even that is dwindling. Even with the indie boom it's been like three or four years and there's not a single NBA Jam-alike or even something like Mutant Football League.

why aren't there any good football games of any stripe for the PC?

(also perhaps check out Frozen Cortex?)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

not being allowed to use the NFL in any form for your football game severely limits the scope of the culture you can focus on

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Excels posted:

not being allowed to use the NFL in any form for your football game severely limits the scope of the culture you can focus on

making a football game without the NFL would go down like somebody making a game that's exactly like Dark Souls but without any involvement w/ From Software

meaning it wouldn't matter if it were good or not, the people you want to sell the game to would be irrationally mad and not buy it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

i can't believe people are buying new football games in this post tecmo superbowl world anyway

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

not a year goes by i don't mourn the death of traditional arcades. the only one left in toronto now is on the outskirts of town at the asian supermall

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Excels posted:

not a year goes by i don't mourn the death of traditional arcades. the only one left in toronto now is on the outskirts of town at the asian supermall

Doesn't the Playdium still exist? Last time I went was in like 2013 and they had a regular Street Fighter IV machine. Just the one. And the game requires two mini-cabinets side-by-side to play with other actual people. lol.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super mega baseball is a fun game

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Excels posted:

is the playdium dead? i was there like 14 years ago. I remember it being pretty lame and liking only the semi truck racing game, 18 wheeler american pro trucker or whatever it was. the game cabinet had a truck cab with a bench seat that would rock around and lurch

the only games i really went to arcades to play were terminator 2, tmnt, or the simpsons anyway

E: also house of the dead

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Excels posted:

It pays to live in Chicago because Galloping Ghost in Brookfield is the poo poo. It has pretty much all the arcade games you could ever want, even ones that didn't technically exist like Primal Rage 2.

The Grid is the best arcade game I never heard of until I played it there. WB Games should remake it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 1, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Mak0rz posted:

is the playdium dead? i was there like 14 years ago. I remember it being pretty lame and liking only the semi truck racing game, 18 wheeler american pro trucker or whatever it was. the game cabinet had a truck cab with a bench seat that would rock around and lurch

the only games i really went to arcades to play were terminator 2, tmnt, or the simpsons anyway

E: also house of the dead

Nah there was some pretty sweet stuff like an OG Soul Calibur machine and a Metal Slug. When I lived in Sudbury there was a pretty kickass arcade in the Rainbow Mall too that featured the 4-player X-Men game and Marvel Super Heroes. My white whale is finding an arcade that has a Splatterhouse cabinet.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Excels posted:

Phillips actually proved Nintendo stole some of their ideas for the Wiimote sensor tech, if I recall. Nintendo had to give them a small percent of all sales for certain devices

Nintendo isn't innocent in the patent troll game either, they patented the insanity system in Eternal Darkness.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Super mega baseball is a fun game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs0FKBsiK9w

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lady Naga posted:

Nah there was some pretty sweet stuff like an OG Soul Calibur machine and a Metal Slug. When I lived in Sudbury there was a pretty kickass arcade in the Rainbow Mall too that featured the 4-player X-Men game and Marvel Super Heroes. My white whale is finding an arcade that has a Splatterhouse cabinet.

Oh right I forgot about soul calibur

I don't have fond memories of Playdium because I went there while on vacation with my family and I didn't have any friends or family my age with me. I just went there with my older cousin who didnt play anything :saddowns:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Mak0rz posted:

Oh right I forgot about soul calibur

I don't have fond memories of Playdium because I went there while on vacation with my family and I didn't have any friends or family my age with me. I just went there with my older cousin who didnt play anything :saddowns:

They also had that sweet-rear end Normandy/Mechwarrior 2-in-one cabinet that had the bubble turret lightgun but I don't know if that's still there, I just remember it existing when I was like twelve.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the barcade in town has put some of its games in storage because they needed more room for customers. :\

they did put Tapper back out though, which owns, because Tapper owns

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Accordion Man posted:

It pays to live in Chicago because Galloping Ghost in Brookfield is the poo poo. It has pretty much all the arcade games you could ever want, even ones that didn't technically exist like Primal Rage 2.

The galloping ghost is extremely good. It's like a nostalgic memory of arcade gaming but somehow even better.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Excels posted:

They were lucky they dropped rumble after the N64 or they might have had to pay out to Immersion during that shitfest. Watching them swallow up a patent troll whole was pretty cool though during the WiiFit debacle.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Hatred f8cking rocks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Hatred f8cking rocks.

I see this is gonna be a thing for a while. :sigh:

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Hatred f8cking rocks.

It's a high production value remake of postal 1 with worse writing and no self awareness. Not saying it's bad but there are better things out there

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
GTA has faithfully served the role since the old 2D games. Even Saints Row got the murder/rampage thing right. It seems redundant to have a game dedicated to the concept with shittier production values.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That's... actually not a bad plan, though? Like, I can think of a lot of benefits for moving to a proprietary Android hack and not a lot of downsides.

I dunno, I mean if you're basing a system on the Android poo poo it will be a goldmine if you're the Action Replay/Gameshark people.

That and since Nintendo is moving to Mobile games it's probably to have mobile games be ported on there and mobile games are always poo poo and utter garbage. I do not have nice things at all to say about mobile games/

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno, I mean if you're basing a system on the Android poo poo it will be a goldmine if you're the Action Replay/Gameshark people.

The key words in what I said are "proprietary hack;" I don't think there's anything in the Android license saying they can't lock everything down themselves and attempt to block rooting. It would also allow them to break compatibility with non-Nintendo devices for apps designed to run on their thing.

Basically this could mean anything from "we are just putting stock Android on our next thing like dumbasses" to "our next system is technically based off the Android kernel, but might as well be a custom OS."

• Locked thread