Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you then also crash the helicopter into him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

program666 posted:

except for assassins creed brotherhood, they should pay me for the 2 hours I spent on that, I laugh at every single person that actually played that franchise more than a few hours holy poo poo

How's the weather in Wrongtown, population: you? :boom:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean I haven't even bothered to play rear end Creed 3 or 4 yet but Brotherhood was A Good Video Game

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

I mean I haven't even bothered to play rear end Creed 3 or 4 yet but Brotherhood was A Good Video Game
rear end Creed 4 is also good despite its flaws. 3 is poo poo though.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

precision posted:

I rage quitted during the cutscene after that first town where you do some basic chores but I'll give it another chance eventually

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
http://swordorwhip.com/

castlevania is going the yooka-laylee route and getting rebooted under a different name by the original creator, whatever it is they're announcing it in a week's time

everyone is bailing from konami lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I really dislike how all these projects are nearly the exact same as the old ones, but with "different" characters who are designed to resemble the old ones as closely as possible. I know that people want these franchises back, but doing such close imitations makes it feel like they aren't putting much effort in and just want to milk their old fans to get their independent companies off the ground.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Excels posted:

castlevania is going the yooka-laylee route and getting rebooted under a different name by the original creator, whatever it is they're announcing it in a week's time

All the people who were cheering for the collapse of the gaming industry are suddenly realizing that their cool old Japanese devs are going to be against the wall long before any of the big popular game companies that they have weird hate-boners for, and that rather than ushering in a new era of unrestricted creativity Kickstarter just means even more empty rehashes and sequels :laugh:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Motto posted:

I really dislike how all these projects are nearly the exact same as the old ones, but with "different" characters who are designed to resemble the old ones as closely as possible. I know that people want these franchises back, but doing such close imitations makes it feel like they aren't putting much effort in and just want to milk their old fans to get their independent companies off the ground.

ON the OTHER hand..........................................................

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

ON the OTHER hand..........................................................

mighty no. 9 bad

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

6 is a start, how about that

hanks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Motto posted:

I mean if it's your game and characters but legally someone else gets to own it, you should be able to just do it how you want anyway, but it doesn't work like that so just give us new guys. I don't give a gently caress about the creator of castlevania making some new innovative thing, I want the creator of castlevania to make another loving castlevania game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Motto posted:

not my fault microsoft demolished rare and also won't make a new banjo kazooie m8

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In my blind rushing to insult The Penetrator I forgot that video games are in fact cool and good and for that I humbly apologize

As penance I dumped my equally good Kentucky Route Zero avatar in favor of based Barry

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I won a stupid Assassin's Creed Unity PVC figure in a raffle, does anyone know what the best place to make nerds overpay for it would be?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I won a stupid Assassin's Creed Unity PVC statue in a raffle, does anyone know what the best place to make nerds overpay for it would be?

the trash can

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

or post a video of its destruction on youtube

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like money more than e-cred, though.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
ebay or sa-mart

there's not a lot of options

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I like money more than e-cred, though.

enable ads

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Excels posted:

I hadn't really thought about it before but most of the Castlevania characters other than the Belmonts are in the public domain

Like nobody can sue the guy for making a game where you fight Dracula, Death, and Medusa

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I actually think the Mighty No. 9/Yooka Laylee/Totally Not Castlyvania/Obduction (which is the Myst one) stuff is pretty cool and allows people to stick with creators rather than franchises. Like, I don't honestly need any more Mega Man games, but if I did, I sure as hell don't care if it's Mega Man or some other little blue guy.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The problem with Mighty No.9 is that the best Megaman games are the battle network series. Which means No.9 had no choice but to be meh at best.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like some of the games will be real bad, because really, their genre is old and stale and needs to be put out to pasture, but people can make that choice on their own.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Bicyclops posted:

I actually think the Mighty No. 9/Yooka Laylee/Totally Not Castlyvania/Obduction (which is the Myst one) stuff is pretty cool and allows people to stick with creators rather than franchises. Like, I don't honestly need any more Mega Man games, but if I did, I sure as hell don't care if it's Mega Man or some other little blue guy.

Mighty No. 9 looks bad based on the gameplay they have released so far, but in that particular instance, Inafune spent their KS money on a tv series and merchandise and the game itself became more of a tie-in for those than its own thing.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
one would think that having dev teams making games on genres that no one makes anymore is undisputedly a good thing but that's because one forgot that internet discussion is a thing that exists

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It'll be interesting to see how well it works and whether it sort of peters out. If this is a new way to find niche success, people are going to learn who creators are stick with them, rather than with companies or with characters. on the one hand, that will mean some variety, but on the other hand, it means I will have to see even more of people posting screenshots of video game people tweets and asking people to pick sides.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/05/05/june-cover-revealed-disney-infinity-3-0.aspx

So Disney Infinity is finally getting Star Wars characters for version 3.0. That's cool and all but there's this little bit in the article:

"There’s much more in the June issue, too. We have an in-depth preview at another big game on the horizon, Star Wars: Battlefront, as well as the exclusive first look at the new Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5."

and I don't know how to feel right now. Scared mostly. Cautiously optimistic I guess.

edit: Article on Pro Skater 5 with pics. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/05/05/tony-hawk-returns-exclusive-first-look.aspx Xbox One/PS4/360/PS3

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 5, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

there is going to be a THPS 5 but not a skate 4, gently caress this idiot earth

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Stux posted:

there is going to be a THPS 5 but not a skate 4, gently caress this idiot earth

Don't worry about it, Pro Skater 5 is being made by Robomodo so it's going to be absolute poo poo.

I'm sure EA is sitting on Skate 4 for this very reason.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Hey, I'm trying to find a game for the original xbox that I had way back when I was a wee child.
- The title and menus were entirely in japanese but iirc the voice acting was english
- it was first person but I distinctly remember there being no guns for the player character to use.
- You had been imbued with power similar to that of the enemies of the game, a bunch of mostly naked white skinned humanoid monsters. This power let you block bullets by crossing your arms (thus creating a shield of hexagons in front of you), as well as powering up your punches so that they could harm those enemies (but only from behind???).
- The first couple stages took place in a darkened science facility where you had to fight off those creatures and then navigate your way through halls with security turrets and such
- The level transitions I saw always went like this: entering a portal that took you to a desert with human amenities (soda machines and the like) in the middle of nowhere. You would use the amenity provided and receive a stat (????) boost as a result, then portal back to the facility again for some reason.
- I think you had a girlfriend? Or at least, there was a women the monsters took away from you or that you had to protect from the monsters.

Does anyone know what this game is?

RoanHorse fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 5, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Nasgate posted:

The problem with Mighty No.9 is that the best Megaman games are the battle network series. Which means No.9 had no choice but to be meh at best.

the battle network games are trash for babies

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RoanHorse posted:

Hey, I'm trying to find a game for the original xbox that I had way back when I was wee child.
- The title and menus were entirely in japanese but iirc the voice acting was english
- it was first person but I distinctly remember there being no guns for the player character to use.
- You had been imbued with power similar to that of the enemies of the game, a bunch of mostly naked white skinned humanoid monsters. This power let you block bullets by crossing your arms (thus creating a shield of hexagons in front of you), as well as powering up your punches so that they could harm those enemies (but only from behind???).
- The first couple stages took place in a darkened science facility where you had to fight off those creatures and then navigate your way through halls with security turrets and such
- The level transitions I saw always went like this: entering a portal that took you to a desert with human amenities (soda machines and the like) in the middle of nowhere. You would use the amenity provided and receive a stat (????) boost as a result, then portal back to the facility again for some reason.
- I think you had a girlfriend? Or at least, there was a women the monsters took away from you or that you had to protect from the monsters.

Does anyone know what this game is?

Are you talking about Breakdown?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Skeezy posted:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/05/05/june-cover-revealed-disney-infinity-3-0.aspx

So Disney Infinity is finally getting Star Wars characters for version 3.0. That's cool and all but there's this little bit in the article:

"There’s much more in the June issue, too. We have an in-depth preview at another big game on the horizon, Star Wars: Battlefront, as well as the exclusive first look at the new Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5."

and I don't know how to feel right now. Scared mostly. Cautiously optimistic I guess.

edit: Article on Pro Skater 5 with pics. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/05/05/tony-hawk-returns-exclusive-first-look.aspx Xbox One/PS4/360/PS3

I just bought and played through THPS HD and it was a total piece of poo poo rush job yet still extremely good because the THPS formula for the first 3 games was perfect. So I am also cautiously optimistic, at least it kind of sounds like they realize that the original style worked and everything they did afterward was trash.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
We all know the best Mega Man game is any Mega Man game that lets you play as Zero that isn't X6 or X7.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think Tony Hawk games, as genre, are over, and I loved the Tony Hawk games.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

I just bought and played through THPS HD and it was a total piece of poo poo rush job yet still extremely good because the THPS formula for the first 3 games was perfect. So I am also cautiously optimistic, at least it kind of sounds like they realize that the original style worked and everything they did afterward was trash.

Pro Skater 5 is being made by the same people who made HD lol

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Phantasium posted:

Are you talking about Breakdown?

... Yes, apparently. Thanks.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Skeezy posted:

And RIDE/SHRED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I like they had the balls to call it 5. 'Seriously guys, the last twenty games never happened. Also we're going to be the ones to make the series good again, honest!'

• Locked thread