Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The first month of baseball is over. The Astros and Mets might be playing over their heads, or they may actually be good. The Royals have surpassed the Diamondbacks as the team to hate, the Orioles played in front of an empty stadium, and the Cubs might actually have a team worth rooting for.

Let's go baseball!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Now that we are a month in I feel that it's ok to post this old favorite as a reminder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw9qqvm-LT8

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The last time the Astros got off to this good a start was 1986

That's actually kind of surprising given how good they were in the late 90s and early 2000s

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Don't forget Jose Iglesias being one of the best hitters in baseball.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Speaking of small sample sizes: Mike Moustakas might have been the AL's best third baseman in April and that is just absurd. His line right now is .356/.420/.522! His inevitable crash s going to be so painful. He did also hit his first major league homerun to the opposite field in April and has pushed more hits than he has pulled. This whole thing is very cruel because usually when he puts a good or great month together he does in in like July when I have been forced to watch him flail around for a few months. But starting hot is mean because it gets hopes up.

Mike Moustakas is a jerk.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Nick Martinez is going to win the Cy Young.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Seeing as how my avatar's text references the Night's Watch, here's Jose Altuve wearing a Night's Watch shirt.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I watched every one of those Brewers games. I am very stupid :(

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I really did not think Dee Gordon would remain competent but I'm happy for him

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Cubs in the playoffs, Kris Bryant is cool and good, baseball rules

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

N:

V:
I miss you buck, you own

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

CaptainYesterday posted:

Seeing as how my avatar's text references the Night's Watch, here's Jose Altuve wearing a Night's Watch shirt.

I hate Jose Altuve, I hate him and his stupid shortness :mad:

(so this is what it was like being on the opposite side of someone like Ichiro)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Slow your role is one of the best responses to any question.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Der Meister posted:

As a Marlins fan I'm pretty surprised he's been this good so far. His 2014 stats did not impress me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ice To Meet You posted:

Don't forget Jose Iglesias being one of the best hitters in baseball.

Jake Marisnick getting no respect. He's hitting .379 (granted with an unreasonable babip) so why isn't he listed :mad:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Jake Marisnick getting no respect. He's hitting .379 (granted with an unreasonable babip) so why isn't he listed :mad:

He's three PA's short of qualifying for the leaderboards.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

To qualify for the batting title, a hitter needs 3.1 PA per team game. Marisnick only has 2.95.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Meanwhile Trout is batting a pedestrian .329/.447/.592 with 5 dingers and 6 swipes. Hope he picks it up a bit in the summer.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Gorman Thomas posted:

Meanwhile Trout is batting a pedestrian .329/.447/.592 with 5 dingers and 6 swipes. Hope he picks it up a bit in the summer.

what a fuckin' bum

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm pretty happy Kazmir has been able to come back from being basically out of baseball to a productive pitcher

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
Homer Bailey: Torn UCL

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Nick Martinez is going to win the Cy Young.

The Rangers have sacrificed all to turn Nick Martinez into the shittiest Cy Young candidate ever.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Carlos Quentin retired. Remember him? The guy who got hit by pitches and was injured a lot? Yeah.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Homer Bailey is getting a Tommy John surgery. Fire up the .gif.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Not just any Carlos Quentin, either.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
THE Carlos Quentin retired?

Dude was a beast with the bat when he was healthy, shame he couldn't stay healthy like, at all.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You mean he guy who broke Greinkes shoulder.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

zakharov posted:

Carlos Quentin retired. Remember him? The guy who got hit by pitches and was injured a lot? Yeah.

He was on his way to winning an MVP in 2008 before he broke his own wrist punching a bat :(

Godspeed TCQ

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

ZenVulgarity posted:

N:

V:
I miss you buck, you own

Is this real? :aaa:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

alpha_destroy posted:

Speaking of small sample sizes: Mike Moustakas might have been the AL's best third baseman in April and that is just absurd. His line right now is .356/.420/.522! His inevitable crash s going to be so painful. He did also hit his first major league homerun to the opposite field in April and has pushed more hits than he has pulled. This whole thing is very cruel because usually when he puts a good or great month together he does in in like July when I have been forced to watch him flail around for a few months. But starting hot is mean because it gets hopes up.

Mike Moustakas is a jerk.

Hell, the Royals as a team hit .306/.362/.450 in April. Not a bad start to the season.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2015/04/orioles-manager-buck-showalter-baltimore-protests

Yes

Buck fuckin' owns

Wording is different, statements are the same

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Addison Russell has more MLB home runs than Kris Bryant now.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Der Meister posted:

FlamingLiberal posted:

As a Marlins fan I'm pretty surprised he's been this good so far. His 2014 stats did not impress me.

His .463 BABIP is about where it was this time last year and it inevitably sank down to a more career-average .346 over the course of the season.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
Small sample size aside for Dee, one of the changes he's making this year involves actively trying to hit more line drives. Apparently, the Dodgers coaching staff wanted Dee to focus getting the ball on the ground, whereas Marlins coaches are more YOLO. :shrug:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Steve Pearce is starting at 2nd tonight for the Orioles. :confuoot:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Der Meister posted:

Not to be a downer, but .463 Babip and a 3% BB rate.

This is what he does, gets babip-streaky and then inevitability that changes. Difference is, last year in the first half when he was hot, he was also drawing walks at a reasonable rate. He stopped walking after the AS break and he isn't walking now.

Edit: beaten

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 1, 2015

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

CaptainYesterday posted:

2015 Astros own in many ways

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Tonight's Orioles-Rays game has the birds as the "home" team in the Trop

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pastrymancy posted:

Tonight's Orioles-Rays game has the birds as the "home" team in the Trop

Does this have any gameplay significance outside of batting last and getting to pick your dugout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
They actually still get the visiting dugout but get home batting and are wearing their home helmets

• Locked thread