Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Here's a long MLB segment on bat waggles

Watch it for Pedro Martinez explaining how he pitched to certain batters based on said waggle

http://m.mlb.com/video/?content_id=96483283

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Harlock posted:

Watch it for Pedro Martinez explaining how he pitched to certain batters based on said waggle

I'm sure they already have scouting reports for every player that say where not to pitch them, but it's hilarious how so many players give it away with their waggle.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The Rangers have sacrificed all to turn Nick Martinez into the shittiest Cy Young candidate ever.

And it's actually true since he'd probably either be in AAA or the bullpen if even half of our projected starters weren't dead. When he gets a perfecto by inducing 14 popups and 13 weak grounders it will be worth it.

I unironically like him as a player though and if his real ability ends up being in the #3/4 range it'll be a huge win.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Who would have thought that Addison Russell would knock his first big league dinger before The Mighty Kris Bryant

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harlock posted:

Wasn't there a Hot Zone chart with Barry Bonds hitting over .300 in every zone?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The Carlos Quentin was a cool dude and awesome to watch those occasional weeks he was healthy. Some of my favorite baseball memories involving Angels fans heckling him ("YOU RUN LIKE BENGIE MOLINA") and White Sox fans drunkenly asking him for his number. Good luck in whatever you do and stop punching things when you aren't perfect.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

R.D. Mangles posted:

Who would have thought that Addison Russell would knock his first big league dinger before The Mighty Kris Bryant

Kris Bryant is too passive, he needs to quit looking to take so many walks from the cleanup spot.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Harlock posted:

:stonklol:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mornacale posted:

Kris Bryant is too passive, he needs to quit looking to take so many walks from the cleanup spot.

Okay Dusty

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pedro loving owns

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Xenophon posted:

stop punching things when you aren't perfect.
CQ is a dick and I'll never forgive him for breaking Greinke's collar bone.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The Mets are 16-8 and I don't think they've got a single player who I could vote for in good conscience for the ASG.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Julio Cruz posted:

The Mets are 16-8 and I don't think they've got a single player who I could vote for in good conscience for the ASG.

Uhhhhhhh

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Since no one has said this in the N/V thread:

A-Rod hit home run #660, tying Willie Mays, and the legal battle we all dreamed of is about to become a reality

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
How much money are we talking

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The initial battle will be over a $6 million bonus for tying Willie Mays' record in a "marketable" way, but there are other $6 million payouts similarly scheduled for tying Ruth's, tying Aaron's, and tying and beating Bonds', records

Xenophon fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 2, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fans don't vote for pitchers.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Fans don't vote for pitchers.

Isn't that Lagares guy good

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
6 more homers until ARod dissolves into a puddle of blood and The Dark Lord George Steinbrenner is resurrected with a mission of vengeance in the Bronx. Hail Satan.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Pastrymancy posted:

He makes amazing plays in CF and he's hitting so far this year, but we'll see if it lasts. His arm has taken a hit, he's been dealing with an elbow problem.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Vote for Michael Cuddyer since you just know if the Mets are still in it at the ASB there's gonna be all sorts of dumb stories about how his veteran leadership and intangibles are the reason the Mets got over the hump.

I still can't believe he turned down a QO and that the Mets then made it worth his while.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Cuddyer never turned down the QO, and in fact stated that if the Mets hadn't beat the QO acceptance deadline in order to get a deal done, he'd have accepted it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Xenophon posted:

A-Rod hit home run #660, tying Willie Mays, and the legal battle we all dreamed of is about to become a reality

V:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

MassaShowtime posted:

Cuddyer never turned down the QO, and in fact stated that if the Mets hadn't beat the QO acceptance deadline in order to get a deal done, he'd have accepted it.

Huh. I missed that and am dumb. So It was just the mets being foolish then.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros continue to own

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

vegeta dentata posted:

Small sample size aside for Dee, one of the changes he's making this year involves actively trying to hit more line drives. Apparently, the Dodgers coaching staff wanted Dee to focus getting the ball on the ground, whereas Marlins coaches are more YOLO. :shrug:

FYI there's no real evidence that suggests this is something you can "learn". Pick the most amazing or shittiest hitter. Depending on whose batted ball data you trust, their LD% will be somewhere between about 18-23% and will fluctuate year to year. Dee probably even has a slightly above average LD%, per FanGraphs. It's the same as Mike Trout's. They only person I can find who has any sustained large sample LD% above the ranged I mentioned is Joey Votto who is apparently an actual line drive machine. Hitting the ball (hard) on the ground is the best thing Dee Gordon can do as a hitter. He'll get line drives that way, and he's not exactly going to be hitting moon shots if he puts it in the air.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't think A-Rod will make it to 700, but it would be nice if he beat Ruth just to leave the Yankees forever more looking awkward when talking about their franchise leaders.

Who am I kidding, they'll talk him up like a god in 25 years.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Intruder posted:

The Astros continue to own

And the Rangers continue to fail.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Phone posting from hotel to say at&t was insanely beautiful, all the food was good, weather was not socal, Calhoun was deffo safe replay is horseshit, giants fans left in the 7th 8th and 9th just like angels fans. gently caress the giants, fans around me were nice though.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Craptacular! posted:

I don't think A-Rod will make it to 700, but it would be nice if he beat Ruth just to leave the Yankees forever more looking awkward when talking about their franchise leaders.

A-Rod would have to get to a lot more than 700 homeruns to pass Babe Ruth on the Yankees franchise leaders list.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Drew Stubbs already has more hits in May than in April.

Because he went all of April without getting a hit.

His OPS improved to .247 as a result.

V: calling it now: player of the month Drew Stubbs.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Xenophon posted:

The thing I feel was lost in discussion about this is really just how clutch that HR was.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

The thing I feel was lost in discussion about this is really just how clutch that HR was.

Channeled the Captain in that one

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pastrymancy posted:

Lagares is amazing defensively and has been hitting decently (so far), but all the OFs are merged into one category for the ASG and there's just too many corner outfield guys who are off to amazing starts. I don't think Lagares' defense is good enough to outweigh ~150 points of OPS.

Harvey and Familia will get in for sure though.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 2, 2015

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
In addition to being clutch as hell, the A-Rod dinger was also over the Green Monster in Fenway. It was the biggest middle finger possible.

quote:

Girardi also said A-Rod creates a lot of laughter in the clubhouse, with the manager slyly adding that sometimes it is laughing with Rodriguez and sometimes it's humor at his expense.
he just wants to be liked, and be a good base ball man

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Willie approved of last night's home run

http://m.giants.mlb.com/news/article/121822780/statement-from-willie-mays-on-alex-rodriguezs-660th-home-run

quote:

"Congratulations to Alex Rodriguez on his 660th home run. Milestones in baseball are meant to be broken and I wish him continued success throughout his career."

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

The real crime is A-Rod had to live in Jeters shadow all those years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The real crime is Jeter getting away with years of steroid abuse. You all know what I mean.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

The real crime is Jeter getting away with years of steroid abuse. You all know what I mean.

I always thought he was working with a theoretical physicist who was also a traditional sorcerer to procure intangible enhancing drugs (IED's) to give him that extra something, the intangibles, that his managers, fans, and the media always talked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Find some current photos of Jeter. He deflated like a balloon.

• Locked thread