Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I think they should pick up that option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
Reminder that Ryan Howard would have been a FA after the 2011 season if Amaro wasn't dumb enough to give him a 5 year extension (even though Howard still had 2 years left on his contract)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groucho Marxist posted:

I think they should pick up that option
I never count out Rube on that..

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Never not hilarious

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Crimson Sox posted:

Reminder that Ryan Howard would have been a FA after the 2011 season if Amaro wasn't dumb enough to give him a 5 year extension (even though Howard still had 2 years left on his contract)

And people think it's the other 29 teams that aren't valuing Hamels correctly.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ron Roenicke just got canned

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Hahah drat, how often does a manager get the boot after a win? Not that he was the reason the Brewers sucked poo poo, but I can't say I'm sad to see him go

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Attanasio on April 23 posted:

Right now, my examinations are focused on how to improve our performance on the field. Relative to me, I’m not looking at the manager or the general manager right now.
I mean drat a lot can change in a week

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ryan Braun player manager, let's do it.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Rand alPaul posted:

Ryan Braun player manager, let's do it.

gently caress it why not :getin:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
PED's for everyone! I mean they can't suspend a whole team, right?

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

zakharov posted:

Ron Roenicke just got canned

Well, gently caress

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Weird that they'd firr him right after they win a series. Also, Aramis owns and I hope the Cubs do something for him his last game at Wrigley

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

For those of you who think baseball isn't exciting enough for today's youth, ESPN has the soothing tones of James Taylor slowly rambling about his career for an entire half-inning.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
This actually brings up a question I thought of recently: is there a certain reason that managers' contracts are guaranteed money? I know they make a relative pittance but that just seems like the sort of thing teams would try to penny-pinch out of existence.

Xenophon posted:

I mean drat a lot can change in a week

Technically, this was true; he was at Miller Park for that series while he usually doesn't attend games since he lives in LA, and everyone took that as a sign that someone was getting canned. So he wasn't looking at them then but chose to now :v:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Yeah that was totally a "I'm not firing anyone you're getting canned" visit by Mark.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower

Devon Travis trade might be the new Doug Fister trade

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I hope Devon Travis hits 30HRs so he can have more dingers in his first MLB season than his entire minor league career combined.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Devon Travis had no place on the Tigers roster and had never played above AA prior to this season. It's unfortunate for Dombrowski that he's on a hot streak and contributing to a team right now, but anyone who says they saw this outcome happening is a loving liar.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Early names being floated as possible Roenicke replacements are Craig Counsell (cool, Craig owns) and Ron Gardenhire (not cool at all)

Do the right thing, Doug

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Holy poo poo I never knew how much I wanted Craig Counsell as a major league manager until just now.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Counsell sounds like a temp hire, even knowing his status as a local.

Gardy somehow sounds like a long-term replacement (Twins fans please post your bunt gifs here).

I was hoping they would have some other idea, but this is the Brewers so I expect diarrhea.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Early names being floated as possible Roenicke replacements are Craig Counsell (cool, Craig owns) and Ron Gardenhire (not cool at all)

Do the right thing, Doug

The idea of a Gardenhire-Kyle Lohse reunion would be pretty entertaining, though...

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

theacox posted:

I was hoping they would have some other idea, but this is the Brewers so I expect diarrhea.

I heard Wally Backman is a hot commodity right now! Sandy Alderson will personally put him on a plane to Mlwaukee.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

leokitty posted:

I heard Wally Backman is a hot commodity right now! Sandy Alderson will personally put him on a plane to Mlwaukee.

Oh man, is Mitch Williams available?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ricky Renteria got a raw deal in Chicago, Milwaukee should pick him up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love how they just gave him an extension, so they get to pay him for two years to do nothing.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
craig counsell is the replacement

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Rosenthal says it's gonna be Counsell.

I love the guy but another rookie manager?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

zakharov posted:

He's going to have the entire squad do the helicopter bat thing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

Brewers are probably already at lost season status so why not? Get him managing experience and he will be ready for next season.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
My favorite Craig Counsell story is the Chicken Runs at Midnight for the 97 Marlins.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Storm posted:

Devon Travis trade might be the new Doug Fister trade

More like the Edgar Renteria trade, where Jair Jurrjens was good for like 2 seasons out of nowhere.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I made every single fabricated player I created in MVP Baseball 2005 have Craig Counsell's batting stance and swing because it owned.

I'm saying this was a good call. Craig Counsell is the best.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Are managers allowed to pinch hit?

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
Interesting read about issues with the current waiver system

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jim Dwyer posted:

Devon Travis had no place on the Tigers roster and had never played above AA prior to this season. It's unfortunate for Dombrowski that he's on a hot streak and contributing to a team right now, but anyone who says they saw this outcome happening is a loving liar.

I was simply happy to not have to watch Gose flail around in the batters box anymore. The rest is gravy. Sweet dinger gravy.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

one hundred and fifty five million dollars

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Looking at Ryan Howard's contract is like looking at Barry Bonds' late career statistics in terms of the absurdity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I will not miss Runnin Ron at all. Hopefully Craig does better. It seems like he's pretty tight with the stats guys in the front office, so hopefully he'll be a little less "old school".

Also, did we ever find out who the ptbnl was in the Hunter Morris deal?

• Locked thread