Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The Mets are 16-8 and I don't think they've got a single player who I could vote for in good conscience for the ASG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pastrymancy posted:

Isn't that Lagares guy good

Lagares is amazing defensively and has been hitting decently (so far), but all the OFs are merged into one category for the ASG and there's just too many corner outfield guys who are off to amazing starts. I don't think Lagares' defense is good enough to outweigh ~150 points of OPS.

Harvey and Familia will get in for sure though.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 2, 2015

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Badfinger posted:

K/9 is somewhat deceiving because it looks like a rate stat, but it's only describing how often you get that kind of out compared to in-play outs and doesn't take into account all the other garbage pitching you're doing between strikeouts.

There's quite a few guys who basically have no idea where the ball's going once they've let go of it - they get quite a few Ks against the Jeff Francoeurs of the world but they also walk a ton of guys and when they absolutely have to throw a strike, the best they can do is a fastball down the middle so they also give up a ton of runs and HRs.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Wasn't Pelf an All-Star in '11 or '12? There was one year where he pitched way above his ceiling and was something like 12-1 at the All-Star Break. I think that was the year that Ubaldo went absolutely nuts for Colorado too.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Happy Syndergaard Day!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mornacale posted:

Maybe they're the first team to sweep a four-game series, which is exactly the right kind of meaningless thing for a team broadcast to say.

Not even that, the Mets swept a 4-game series against the Marlins in the second week of the season.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
He's Tommy John-proof though - hard to tear your UCL when you don't have one to start with.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It's incredibly hard!

Infidel Castro posted:

The Twins have about a bajillion league average starters. Can I interest you in a Ricky Nolasco or Mike Pelfrey? Or perhaps a gently used Phil Hughes?

Calling either Nolasco or Pelfrey "league average" is incredibly generous.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
He'd make fewer errors than Semien.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

regfairfield posted:

It reads to me like he just stopped showing up. He was banished to extended Spring Training at the start of the season for "disciplinary reasons" so no one has known what's up with him for a while.

It's certainly got to be a lot more serious than skipping infield practice a couple of times. The fact that the MLBPA aren't raising hell to defend him suggests that the Dodgers have got just cause.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

tadashi posted:

Would Callaspo to the Mets (to play third in the short run) be too obvious?

If Wright is done it actually might ease our infield problems some. Play Murph at 3rd, Flores at 2nd and that lets us have an actual goddamn shortstop playing the position - either Danny Muno or (if they think he can be ready) Cecchini.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Juan Lagares can't get a loving sniff huh?

Eh, he's not hitting anywhere near as well as most of those guys (the only one in the list with a lower OPS+ than him is Jay, because #bestfans) and it's really hard to quantify his defense even amongst sabermetricians - casual fans looking for someone to vote for are gonna pick a name out of the league hitting leaders (apart from the ones who will vote straight-ticket for their team, again because #bestfans).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

how is this possible.

e: (for reference Cardinals are 16-15)

Their pitching is so loving terrible they need to score 5+ runs to give them a chance to win.

• Locked thread