Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
http://kotaku.com/the-mad-max-game-doesnt-seem-to-live-up-to-the-movie-1706910397

I'm mostly hoping the frame rate is improved a bit, but I doubt it. I really hope you can turn off all the "YOU DID 5/10 ____" stuff, but at the same time I find it odd that the author was surprised by their presence. This is the same publisher that puts out the Arkham games, the constant checklist of stuff to do is just as much WBIE's trademark as it is Ubisoft's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:siren::siren::siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ButHzEB8AO4 :siren::siren::siren:
NEW TRAILER

Shows off the intro to the game (which is reminiscent of Fury Road's), shots of Scabrous Scrotus in action, samples of Max's Aussie voice-actor, and a variety of in-game action and cutscene shots.

Including a dude with a dog for a head?!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think this game will end up being alright, but it being phenomenally overshadowed by its film counterpart combined with coming out the same goddamn day as MGSV means there's basically no hope for it unless it's truly amazing, which I can't see happening based on that footage.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm oddly disappointed by the gratuitously exploding cars. The MM movies had more realistic takes on car crashes where they just kinda dash apart unless loaded down with flamer fuel like a few in Fury Road.

And yeah, this game is probably gonna be hopelessly held up to Fury Road's standard and found :mediocre: in comparison. Should still be fun though, at least.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I hope it's good because Avalanche is a cool developer, but the Mad Max aesthetic and atmosphere is looking to be the only thing this game really has going for it since it kind of just looks like Just Cause 2 with all the fun bits removed.

Does it at least have a gyrocopter in it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Realistically I'm not expecting an amazing game, just one a few steps above :mediocre: that's made better for me because I love the Mad Max movies. So it will be for me just by being a functional Just Cause reskin.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Still would have liked Donal Gibson in the game somewhere, but at least they finally have a drat release date. This Max sound a little too young to be intimidating, however, I likely won't give a poo poo between the road rage and the screams being louder than him. Quiet protags sort of worked for Wolfenstein The New Order/Old Blood, right?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Still would have liked Donal Gibson in the game somewhere, but at least they finally have a drat release date. This Max sound a little too young to be intimidating, however, I likely won't give a poo poo between the road rage and the screams being louder than him. Quiet protags sort of worked for Wolfenstein The New Order/Old Blood, right?

BJ Blazkowicz is anything but a quiet protagonist in The New Order at least.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yup, BJ is talking all over the place.

New trailer looks decent, I do like they went with an Australian after their first trailer had an American, although I think they just got the Australian intern to record it, not a voice actor (or they just told a voice actor to be Australian) That Donal Gibson clip above is pretty great, would have been neat.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

game having framerate issues--especially in a game where you're loving driving all the time--is not a good sign. I couldn't even loving stand the FPS that Witcher 3 on PS4 sometimes struggles to do so there's no goddamn way I'm putting up with that poo poo. Other than that I'm hoping the trailers just suck and the game is more fun than it looks...but like I said, releasing same date as MGS5 was hilariously bad and now it has to live in the shadow of the movie.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
There's no way there can be a great videogame based on a great movie, right? That's not a thing that happens.

Somehow I'm still hyped for more Mad Max, even if the gameplay is poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

splifyphus posted:

There's no way there can be a great videogame based on a great movie, right? That's not a thing that happens.

"Recently" there's the 2004 Riddick in terms of games released around the time of the movie but not directly based on its events launch on the same day tie in but there's a lot of cool ones in general.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Hakkesshu posted:

BJ Blazkowicz is anything but a quiet protagonist in The New Order at least.

Oh yeah he talked, I just couldn't hear him in TNO when he was whispering to himself like he was in Dune.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The game looks fun but the script and acting look dire. Max and his love interest seems particularly out of character to me, like, the impression I get is max wouldn't even have much interest with where he generally is headwise?

What the gently caress ever though, it's a day one purchase for apocalyptic cars alone so bring it on

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
They should make the game's colour scheme match the latest movie, like this guy over at neogaf did to one of the earlier trailers. It makes a big difference:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Supernorn posted:

They should make the game's colour scheme match the latest movie, like this guy over at neogaf did to one of the earlier trailers. It makes a big difference:

THAT looks awesome.

I'm still gonna buy the game because the movie's the best thing ever, but, really, I don't have high hopes.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
That looks great. Icehancer on the pc version if they don't do anything else with it.

I hope the music gets livelier for final. Furry road had a phenomenal ost

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Supernorn posted:

Whoa--maybe they'll include it as a bonus mode? I hope someone mods it in on PC at the very least. Is that possible?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'd wager so. Depending on what engine it runs on, PC games range from 'text .ini files' (Unreal family) to 'tricky'. Rarely impossible except in multiplayer-centric games.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Blind Sally posted:

Whoa--maybe they'll include it as a bonus mode? I hope someone mods it in on PC at the very least. Is that possible?

An ENB profile could do that fairly easily. Just a matter of one being made for the game.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I was going to get this on PS4 (first game since Infamous SS came out) for the couch play, but might just get this on PC for SweetFXcolour correction and whatever nvidia magic otll have.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I don't really like Max's voice. It's also pretty disgusting that there is a pre-order bonus when there isn't a whole lot of gameplay actually shown. Like, we see some flashes of punches and counters, and we see some driving and some very lame exploding cars... but not really any idea of how this fits together or what it's like. I'm honestly hoping it's just that LOTR game with a Mad Max skin. That'd be okay with me.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 27, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blind Sally posted:

I really loved all the insane filters you could unlock for saints row 4. It didn't mean an awful lot since by that point you're done with most of the game and you spend most of it flying anyway, but it was still freaking neat.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Firstborn posted:

I don't really like Max's voice.

I think the problem is he's using it too much.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Stairmaster posted:

That may be. I know there was criticism (and rightfully so) when the first trailer came out and Max had an American thing going on, but it seems spiteful to go the complete opposite and bust out an Outback Steakhouse voice. It's like 150% Crocodile Dundee. Well, at least now you aussies know what it's like to be me - from Louisiana and cajun and fed the gently caress up with any actor or character on tv that tries to sell this point as a lovely accent.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
The bad guys aren't Australian enough, 0/10.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
GameInformer has new hands-on: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m...-wasteland.aspx

Sounds like the hand-to-hand combat is really similar to the Batman Arkham games.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Blind Sally posted:

Sounds like the hand-to-hand combat is really similar to the Batman Arkham games.

Which is entirely unsurprising, but possibly a good thing. I mean, I liked the combat in Arkham City enough.

Gah. It would rock so hard if the game was actually good and had something like the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor only with dudes in fast cars, heavily armed cars, or huge behemoths depending on type etc.

I can dream, right?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TerminalBlue posted:

Which is entirely unsurprising, but possibly a good thing. I mean, I liked the combat in Arkham City enough.

Gah. It would rock so hard if the game was actually good and had something like the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor only with dudes in fast cars, heavily armed cars, or huge behemoths depending on type etc.

I can dream, right?

Warner Bros games are unironically my favourite games. Mordor was so good and that mechanic would fit really well here.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Stairmaster posted:

I read one article that said that one of the reasons Chumbucket follows you around is because Max is typically pretty tactiturn, so Chum does most of the talking.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So gametrailers put up a "Just Played" video of a dude that played Mad Max during E3 Judges Week. Starts off off saying the game is not as good as the movie (really what is?) but still fun. Some random notes from the video:

-The little goblin dude on the back of your car is called Scumbucket
- He is your mechanic and will repair your car if the player is ideal in the desert/goes on mission
- Yells at you what parts of the car take damage from combat/off roading.
- Sniper rifle that is only in the car if you park the car
- Scumbucket controls the harpoon and can target various parts of cars

Sounds really fun so far. Video here: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/rk4e9h/mad-max-mad-max-at-e3-2015

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
He's actually called chumbucket, these guys are wrong but whatever, it's interesting

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

ShineDog posted:

He's actually called chumbucket, these guys are wrong but whatever, it's interesting

Shortened to "Chum", because he's your buddy.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I don't expect this to be groundbreaking, but it still looks a hell of a lot of fun.

And I think Max's voice actor is Mel Gibson's brother.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Would it really be an Avalanche game without at least one ridiculous accent?

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

I... wow. This is actually sounding promising going by that guy's experiences.

Feels like hope.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Supernorn posted:

I honestly think they should redo some things to make the game look like this. I really enjoyed the gametrailers preview video there and the game does sound fun as heck, but you don't need to mute colors of a desert wasteland to get across the world is messed up. Things being colorful in Fury Road added to the movie.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

TerminalBlue posted:

I... wow. This is actually sounding promising going by that guy's experiences.

Feels like hope.

That's a mistake.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

I honestly think they should redo some things to make the game look like this. I really enjoyed the gametrailers preview video there and the game does sound fun as heck, but you don't need to mute colors of a desert wasteland to get across the world is messed up. Things being colorful in Fury Road added to the movie.

To be fair the first three movies have fairly dull colors. I'm guessing they referenced those far more than Fury Road, since Miller hadn't even started filming when they started working on the game.

That said the brighter colors do look way better, and I hope they notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

girth brooks part 2 posted:

To be fair the first three movies have fairly dull colors. I'm guessing they referenced those far more than Fury Road, since Miller hadn't even started filming when they started working on the game.

Early stills of Fury Road are quite dull--almost black and white:

Miller decided he preferred the film with the colours amped up. I'm glad, cause I prefer it too.

• Locked thread