Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

TerminalBlue posted:

I... wow. This is actually sounding promising going by that guy's experiences.

Feels like hope.

What makes me think that the guy might not be full of poo poo is that he freely admits Mad Max is not the best game he's seen at E3....but still really fun to play that he wants more of it.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Early stills of Fury Road are quite dull--almost black and white:

Miller decided he preferred the film with the colours amped up. I'm glad, cause I prefer it too.

Those colours make it look so generic, and the film version of the Gears of War/MW2 era.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The trailer had me at Thunderdome and the weird goggles dude from said movie.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Blind Sally posted:

Early stills of Fury Road are quite dull--almost black and white:

Miller decided he preferred the film with the colours amped up. I'm glad, cause I prefer it too.

He went back on that later when he looked at the film with the color completely desaturated and decided that black-and-white was actually his preferred version of the movie. Miller said that the Blu-Ray will have a black-and-white as well as a dialogue-less version with just the film score.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A lot of the movie could be expressed without words, so I look forward to that cut.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

King Vidiot posted:

He went back on that later when he looked at the film with the color completely desaturated and decided that black-and-white was actually his preferred version of the movie. Miller said that the Blu-Ray will have a black-and-white as well as a dialogue-less version with just the film score.

Yeah! I'm super pumped for that.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Watched the trailer, Max's generic American tough guy voice has been replaced by the most generic, aloof Australian voiceover dude who sounds like he is really trying to come off as tough but isn't quite convincing, sounds like a tired, 16 year old smoker rather than a grizzled, throaty command that Gibson's Max had or bizarre bassey mumble that Hardy had.
Every other voice is American, they probably had a bad enough time getting the single Australian actor after everyone had the shits with them using a Yank to play Max.

Only just noticed the 'kiss' in the trailer too, this is a character deviation too...

Great, now I feel like a sperging rear end in a top hat because "NO, MAD MAX SHOULDN"T DO THIS' and poo poo...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think part of it is the fact that the movie just came out and exceeded everybody's expectations. If it weren't for the movie, the game would be "good enough" since it'd be the first Mad Max thing in nearly 30 years. But we have the movie, it's awesome, so we're a lot more critical of how closely the game follows the Mad Max formula.

It looks fun, like a loosely-connected fan fiction version of the franchise but with enough of the Mad Max style to appeal to fans. Maybe a good comparison would be that Ghostbusters game, although we haven't had a Ghostbusters... anything in years prior to that. So we'll see how this one holds up.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

New Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEXzAXBtl5k

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Is it just me or did they fix the color palette to better match Fury Road?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Is it just me or did they fix the color palette to better match Fury Road?

I was thinking the same thing, but I can't really tell for sure.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It looks exactly that way to me. I wanted to see if anyone else noticed it.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

MrMojok posted:

It looks exactly that way to me. I wanted to see if anyone else noticed it.

I'm guessing the desert in different zones areas is different colors.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Came in to post the trailer. Beaten.

Mr.Citrus posted:

I'm guessing the desert in different zones areas is different colors.

That's my guess. There was at least one scene in the new trailer that still looked pretty washed out. Honestly, even if it's just relegated to certain times of day, I'd be happy for the addition of the "Fury Road filter". That new trailer looked pretty sweet. Here's hoping that the night time segments are like the "day for night" blue in the film!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm just hoping that the red haired slave girl doesn't become a love interest.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That is entirely too much talking by Max. Would've been better to have err whats his name, chumbucket, do all the talking. Also, I really dunno about that voice actor.

Still looking forward to the game, but I fear it will not be Shiny and Chrome.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
It sounds like they voice-cast it before they got a good listen to the Fury Road take on Max. It's nice they got an actual Australian to do it instead of bringing in someone to do a 'Hollywood Australian' voice, though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm all for goon drinking and rooting and other weird Australianisms

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tehan posted:

It sounds like they voice-cast it before they got a good listen to the Fury Road take on Max. It's nice they got an actual Australian to do it instead of bringing in someone to do a 'Hollywood Australian' voice, though.

Hey, they wanna do their own take on Max, that's fine. I'm all for it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think they redid it, didn't they? Early gameplay trailers/footage had an American voice, people complained, and so they changed it. Or am I misremembering?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MrMojok posted:

I think they redid it, didn't they? Early gameplay trailers/footage had an American voice, people complained, and so they changed it. Or am I misremembering?

No, you're correct. They figured people wouldn't care, and then people did.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
If the game is moddable, the Fury Road soundtrack and scenes from the movie being remade in game should be a no-brainer. I have some hope that the game will be at least decent on its own, and with some tweaks it might be shiny and chrome. I will witness this on release, my wallet can handle the risk.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm just hoping that the red haired slave girl doesn't become a love interest.

She kisses Max in one trailer, so she probably is. Now the question will be if she dies tragically or he leaves her bereft and wistful to continue his wanderings. Or if that kiss was just her getting ahead of herself and he lays down some boundaries afterwards.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

There's a bunch of E3 gameplay and stage demo videos out in the world now. Here's a Gamespot Stage Demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do3IiEWxGnE

I imagine this will either sell you on it or push you away completely. To me, it looks well-constructed enough that I want to play it. There's a lot of UI quest pop-up happening in this video, which is a bit irritating, but the car combat looks fun, as does exploring for upgrades. If I can just keep driving around, blowing up patrols forever, then I'll be happy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Well, poo poo. It looks like a futuristic post-apocalyptic Red Dead Redemption. I'm in!

Car combat looks satisfying, and the locations they describe sound like it'll be fun to explore.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

that looks fun as heck, actually

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

give me batman but with brutal desperate jockos and a batmobile combat aspect that looks actually fun and I'll be satisfied

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I really like the aspect of finding hood ornaments and decorative pieces for your car from downed enemies. I hope there's a chance to get that stuff from almost any vehicle you fight.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Might get repetitive after a while, but what I've seen so far looks really fun. I know absolutely nothing about Avalanche, though. How has their open-world stuff been so far?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
The makers of Mad Max were the developers of the Just Cause games which seem to be goon favourites. At least the second one. I've played Just Cause 2 a little and it is fun and chaotic. I have my hopes up for this game.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

MrMojok posted:

Might get repetitive after a while, but what I've seen so far looks really fun. I know absolutely nothing about Avalanche, though. How has their open-world stuff been so far?

I think Just Cause 2 still ranks as one of the largest open-world games ever. So that + a ton of explosions is basically what they do. JC2 was fun as heck, and JC3 looks even better, so I think there's hope for this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Just Cause 2 was all about pure, stupid chaos, and it didn't really give a poo poo about atmosphere or storytelling unlike Mad Max seems to. But like I said earlier in the thread, MM kind of just looks like Just Cause with all the fun parts removed. To me it doesn't seem like they're playing to their strengths. Like they put out a big trailer for Just Cause 3 the other day that makes Mad Max look like a boring piece of poo poo IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1q7wY0koE

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 18, 2015

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Just a reminder, Just Cause 2's final boss fight was a fistfight on the back of a nuclear missile in flight

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

Just a reminder, Just Cause 2's final boss fight was a fistfight on the back of a nuclear missile in flight

Don't undersell it, it was a fistfight on the back of FOUR nuclear missiles in flight.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Just Cause and Mad Max just seem like very different types of games, I'm not sure why we would compare them outside of them both being Avalanche games. Like yeah, in the broadest strokes open-world action, but the tone and intention are totally different.

I intend to purchase and have fun with both.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

to be fair comparing any open world game with what Just Cause 3 is aiming to be is hilariously unfair. not sure anything, even MGS5, Fallout 4, or Batman can touch the kind of raw chaos and physics-based fuckery JC3 is, and that's ok because it's a different kind of game. JC is based on an island lush with poo poo to dismantle, Mad Max is based around one kind of locomotion in a desolate shitscape. Makes it sound more boring in comparison but yeah, everything is bound to sound boring next to "I'm in a wingsuit, then a parachute, now I'm skydiving into a nuke that is tethered to the statue it's blowing up"

tbh I like having it carry over the Batman combat too since it will basically be a more brutal version of that

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

"I'm in a wingsuit, then a parachute, now I'm skydiving into a nuke that is tethered to the statue it's blowing up"

So Just Cause is living an Old Spice commercial

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Lotish posted:

So Just Cause is living an Old Spice commercial

Old Spice commercials wish they could be as crazy as Just Cause. Fighting ninjas on top of a frozen lake with a rocket launcher is just a thing that happens.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm really hoping you can jump onto enemy vehicles, and climb all over the big rigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm really hoping you can jump onto enemy vehicles, and climb all over the big rigs.

They've already confirmed Just Cause 2 style vehicle jumping, yes. Part of the strategy of the game is determining whether you blow up an enemy car, jump on it and try to fight the driver, or use your awesome car grappling hook to try and pull armor off (and potentially yank out the driver).

• Locked thread