Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sylphosaurus posted:

Man, screw Kojima and that overrated piece of poo poo that is the MGS series, I'll be getting this instead at release.

pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

+1

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Shame this game isn't getting much attention. It has the potential to be really great but there isn't much promo going on

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The bluray comes out on the 1st as well, so maybe that'll help get the game some attention. Be a shame if it flops. I don't really think it will, but releasing alongside The Phantom Pain isn't going to do it many favors.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Also not helping that there's not nearly enough just straight up gameplay shown anywhere. There's the edited trailers and shaky cam footage of the E3 demo. I still don't really have a clear picture of what the game is like or how it plays. I'm still gonna get it entirely due to the brand name and that no other game really satisfies that road warrior itch, but it's kinda annoying.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Yeah, that's another thing. For all the comparisons to Shadow of Mordor this is getting, the whole thing that game had with the devs showing off quite a lot of it for weeks on end before release is nowhere to be seen :(

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Also not helping that there's not nearly enough just straight up gameplay shown anywhere.

I want this game to be awesome too but that is a gigantic red flag. No way I buy this day 1.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

warner bros is too busy trying to salvage batman from the rubble and readying more bullshit dlc skin packs to bother showing off mad max. shame because if it was up to avalanche alone, we'd probably see tons of fun poo poo, much like the stuff we get about JC3.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I got bored with Just Cause 2 really fast, but I'll probably buy this game and enjoy it more than I normally would just because it's Mad Max.

While the idea of building some kind of an extravagant magnum opus super war machine is fun, I kinda just want to be boring and rebuild the V8 Interceptor, or at least something similarly "classy". I don't want Max's car to look like a random bad guy gang car by having stuff like macabre hood ornaments, spikes, painted skulls and flames or anything like that. That stuff will probably give the car buffs though, but I hope they aren't really necessary.

I'm also a bit worried how the cars seem to catch fire and explode way too easily. Explosions can be fun and satisfying, but they have to be earned or they stop feeling special.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I got bored with Just Cause 2 really fast, but I'll probably buy this game and enjoy it more than I normally would just because it's Mad Max.

While the idea of building some kind of an extravagant magnum opus super war machine is fun, I kinda just want to be boring and rebuild the V8 Interceptor, or at least something similarly "classy". I don't want Max's car to look like a random bad guy gang car by having stuff like macabre hood ornaments, spikes, painted skulls and flames or anything like that. That stuff will probably give the car buffs though, but I hope they aren't really necessary.

I'm also a bit worried how the cars seem to catch fire and explode way too easily. Explosions can be fun and satisfying, but they have to be earned or they stop feeling special.

It remains to be seen how it goes in the main game, but any upgrades to your car have downsides as well as benefits, there's no OP gear for min/maxing, so you don't have to feel like you're stuck having to make a certain type of car if you're willing to alter your playstyle. So if you want to make a really sleek looking car, it'll have high speed and maneuverability at the expense of traction and damage, stuff like that. Likewise, covering it in spikes will make it more lethal, but it also weighs the car down.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I think a Pursuit Special body is one of the options you can pick, based on the videos we've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hDPmTvqob0&t=58s

@1:01

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

It remains to be seen how it goes in the main game, but any upgrades to your car have downsides as well as benefits, there's no OP gear for min/maxing, so you don't have to feel like you're stuck having to make a certain type of car if you're willing to alter your playstyle. So if you want to make a really sleek looking car, it'll have high speed and maneuverability at the expense of traction and damage, stuff like that. Likewise, covering it in spikes will make it more lethal, but it also weighs the car down.

That makes sense and sounds rather promising. Hopefully they manage to balance the vehicular combat well enough so that choosing speed and maneuverability over brute force (and vice versa) will actually be a viable option.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think a Pursuit Special body is one of the options you can pick, based on the videos we've seen.

drat, it sure as hell looks like it. :dance: Thanks for pointing that out.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I really hope chumbucket will be this game's sully/Alfred but with an almost an erotic/religious fixation with car engines. If he's going to be around max the most, he needs to have a good dynamic with him or at least provide the kind of chatter I'd like to hear from some wasteland friendly crazy.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Crabtree posted:

I really hope chumbucket will be this game's sully/Alfred but with an almost an erotic/religious fixation with car engines. If he's going to be around max the most, he needs to have a good dynamic with him or at least provide the kind of chatter I'd like to hear from some wasteland friendly crazy.

Over here, stranger...

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 3, 2015

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
New trailer got put out today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaS8lVRCNfM

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Also not helping that there's not nearly enough just straight up gameplay shown anywhere. There's the edited trailers and shaky cam footage of the E3 demo. I still don't really have a clear picture of what the game is like or how it plays. I'm still gonna get it entirely due to the brand name

everythingthatiswrongwiththemoderngamesindustryandsocalledgamerculture.txt

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm still gonna get it entirely due to the brand name

You should get some 5 Gum 'Vortex' and really Stimulate Your Senses. Hell, I know I am.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

So a little while back they announced a competition in europe to win a real life magnum opus, a heavily modified fastback. The site has been 'under maintenance' for like a week though, so I'm guessing they pulled the plug. Anyone heard anything?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Dan Didio posted:

You should get some 5 Gum 'Vortex' and really Stimulate Your Senses. Hell, I know I am.

Disgusting Coward posted:

everythingthatiswrongwiththemoderngamesindustryandsocalledgamerculture.txt

There's quite a difference between "DUDE BRO GONNA BUY THE NEW CALL OF DUTY JUST BECAUSE IT'S CALL OF DUTY" and "I've been a fan of this film series since I was a child and have wanted a cool game based on it for decades. I'm unsure about this new game coming out that's based on it, but I might as well check it out!"

Both of you can eat poo poo.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

When are they putting this game up on Steam? You would think they would want to open up pre-orders since it's less than a month away.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

HORMELCHILI posted:

When are they putting this game up on Steam? You would think they would want to open up pre-orders since it's less than a month away.

Given the Arkham Knight debacle, I wouldn't blame WB on not making this available too early even with a different studio.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

TescoBag posted:

I too, am excited about this game.

I'm pretty interested in the fuel mechanic. As far as I know this is the first game since Mafia 1 that included fuel in the cars (except racing games obviously)

What are you guys looking forward to?

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. It seems every time a game does a fuel/food resource mechanic it just becomes a chore because you get hungry/run out of fuel every ten minutes, but there's fuel everywhere, so it's just a hassle of stopping every ten minutes to go through the motions of item collection. I'd like to see a full tank of gas last an hour or more of driving, but with fuel few and far between, and somewhat of a struggle to get.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

QwertyAsher posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. It seems every time a game does a fuel/food resource mechanic it just becomes a chore because you get hungry/run out of fuel every ten minutes, but there's fuel everywhere, so it's just a hassle of stopping every ten minutes to go through the motions of item collection. I'd like to see a full tank of gas last an hour or more of driving, but with fuel few and far between, and somewhat of a struggle to get.

Yeah, I'm REALLY hoping they play up the survivalist aspect of this, and it seems like they're on track to do so, but I also don't have any doubts that they'd ditch that to appeal to a larger playerbase who wants to 4/20 shotgun fools erryday. To me, Mad Max has always been about scarcity. Fuel is rare enough that people would be willing to murder for it. Likewise, ammo is so rare that when somebody actually fires a gun, it's a HUGE loving deal. Both of which immediately go out the window if the player constantly has 3/4 of a tank and a bandolier full of shells. Whereas the game I have in mind would be more about "I'm completely out of gas and i'm about to starve to death, and those five guys over there have just enough fuel to get me out of this, is it worth using my one shotgun shell to try and get it?"

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Degree of customization will be really important for me with this game. They've shown, what, 3 vehicle bodies you can use? I realize there's a bunch of customization on those, but I hope there's more than just those three. I know they don't want to show their whole hand on that kind of stuff, so I'm hoping you can find a ton of additional bodies. I'd love to cruise around in something like the Plymouth Rock from Fury Road, or maybe a crazy modified Volkswagen bug.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You'll laugh but I think one game that did resource scarcity right was "I Am Alive." It was such a huge deal to use up even ONE bullet in that game. There were occasionally people locked up or whatever, and bullets were so precious that you had to weigh whether or not you wanted to use that one bullet to help them or save it for later.

Most enemy encounters had you try to figure out how to take out a room with four guys when all you had was one bullet and a machete that was ineffective at close range. Sometimes you could intimidate a guy into backing up next to a cliff and kick him off it, for example.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Speedball posted:

You'll laugh but I think one game that did resource scarcity right was "I Am Alive." It was such a huge deal to use up even ONE bullet in that game. There were occasionally people locked up or whatever, and bullets were so precious that you had to weigh whether or not you wanted to use that one bullet to help them or save it for later.

Most enemy encounters had you try to figure out how to take out a room with four guys when all you had was one bullet and a machete that was ineffective at close range. Sometimes you could intimidate a guy into backing up next to a cliff and kick him off it, for example.

I need to try this game. I saw it when it originally came out and thought it looked great.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I hope this game has a cinematic camera like GTA.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

TescoBag posted:

I need to try this game. I saw it when it originally came out and thought it looked great.

The downside of this game is that every encounter up until you get the bow is "Intimidate guy until you can kick him off cliff, stab his stupid friend".

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Strooth!

https://youtu.be/P6Stp5Akb-0

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I Am Alive was three or four really cool ideas strapped to a really bad game.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

There's quite a difference between "DUDE BRO GONNA BUY THE NEW CALL OF DUTY JUST BECAUSE IT'S CALL OF DUTY" and "I've been a fan of this film series since I was a child and have wanted a cool game based on it for decades. I'm unsure about this new game coming out that's based on it, but I might as well check it out!"

The difference is that you like one brand and not the other.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Less cinematic more gameplay trailers pls Avalanche

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
And now Mad Max and its system requirements are quietly added into the storefront with little notice or fanfare. Here's to hoping nothing goes too wrong with the PC version.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

It's almost like Avalanche realized the game is a steaming shitpile,and is trying to cover-up that fact. And if it actually turns out to be good,I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VolticSurge posted:

It's almost like Avalanche realized the game is a steaming shitpile,and is trying to cover-up that fact. And if it actually turns out to be good,I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I am guessing it will be like shadow of mordor. pretty good gameplay features but meh/ok story. and people will get mad that furiosa isnt in it or something. might be a sleeper hit or a dud.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

STore page is finally up on Steam

My 560ti is under the minimum. :rip:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Good lord, how horribly optimized is this game!? :psyduck:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Knowing nothing about PC requirements, what do those numbers mean on the steam page and what do they have to do with optimization?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

Knowing nothing about PC requirements, what do those numbers mean on the steam page and what do they have to do with optimization?

Nothing about the requirements strike me as particularly strange.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Nothing about the requirements strike me as particularly strange.

There is little difference between the minimum requirements and the recommended requirements, remember that's 660 Titan for the minimum requirement.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Back Hack posted:

There is little difference between the minimum requirements and the recommended requirements, remember that's 660 Titan for the minimum requirement.

Ti is an enhanced version of the 660. Has nothing to do with the Titan card. 660ti is a solid mid level card at this point. No game on earth requires a Titan for minimum requirements. Nothing insane about those specs at all.

• Locked thread