Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Nah comic book movies are a fun time usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just think, if Hulk did decide to go on a love rampage there would be no way to stop him.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

Ultron was a cool villain.

what? how? lol - he was a stupid bitch that didn't do anything, he lost 30 minutes before the movie was even over. no tension, not scary, none of the good guys even got beat up, the lovely add on character died when everyone thought it was going to be iron man or thor.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

burritolingus posted:

Nah comic book movies are a fun time usually.

for retards yeah, so goons lap it up

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

what? how? lol - he was a stupid bitch that didn't do anything, he lost 30 minutes before the movie was even over. no tension, not scary, none of the good guys even got beat up, the lovely add on character died when everyone thought it was going to be iron man or thor.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

They are literal children's movies written at such a level as to appeal to the uneducated masses in Asia and the Middle East for maximum box office take.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

MrChupon posted:

the uneducated masses in Asia and the Middle East

how are those masses different than ours

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
It's a Josh Whedon as gently caress movie but that's okay because it probably made it better than if it was just an action movie without charm.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Seriously Superman and The Incredible Hulk are boyhood fantasies -- this whole genre would be like making a suspense thriller starring Mickey Mouse and expecting people to take it seriously.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

how are those masses different than ours

They are more massive (in numbers; not cheeto, mountain dew and Chipotle induced weight)

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

MrChupon posted:

They are more massive (in numbers; not cheeto, mountain dew and Chipotle induced weight)

Except for the Kuwaiti ones, they have even the venerable American goon beat

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

They're kid movies. Have fun with them. Or don't.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

burritolingus posted:

I agree, but some people take them seriously which is stupid.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
But if you can't enjoy a fun thing because it's childish maybe you're kind of an rear end.

gnarlyhotep posted:

I agree, but some people take them seriously which is stupid.

Absolutely, and it's even worse when these movies try to take themselves seriously.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

statistically speaking, superheroes are a normal kid/nerd thing and being really angry about them is the goony thing, hth

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

burritolingus posted:

But if you can't enjoy a fun thing because it's childish maybe you're kind of an rear end.

I don't like them because they are crap. I may well be an rear end but that is beside the point.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

burritolingus posted:

You're the loving moron bringing your lovely kids to these aren't you??

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quakster posted:

statistically speaking, superheroes are a normal kid/nerd thing and being really angry about them is the goony thing, hth

glad you outed yourself as such a loving goon then, lol

edit: hth

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gnarlyhotep posted:

I don't like them because they are crap. I may well be an rear end but that is beside the point.
do you actually like anything

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

quakster posted:

do you actually like anything

yes, lots of things

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gnarlyhotep posted:

yes, lots of things
it's dark souls, isn't it. wait. idolmaster? senran kagura??? hrm

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

You're the loving moron bringing your lovely kids to these aren't you??

No, we only watch films that promote strong Islamic values in my household.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
i'm so angry about a kids movie

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The modern super hero movie is Iron Man told with more or less people and different costumes over and over. it's the same. if you like iron man 1 you can like all the marvel movies on some level because it's absolutely the same thing with a different coat of paint and drama/story is absolutely secondary to poo poo blowing up.

so it's exactly like the source material except i can't stand comics and i can watch a comic book movie.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

quakster posted:

portal 2, borderlands2

I do like walking my dog as well

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

quakster posted:

What are these things?

I like them, because while they are not cinematic masterpieces, there are lots of explosions and fun things and people doing fun to watch stuff and also robots blowing up and cool fights. It's awesome and super normal to like superhero movies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gnarlyhotep posted:

portal 2, borderlands2

I do like walking my dog as well

Portal 2 is almost half a decade old and Borderlands 2 isn't my thing, but I got to give a man respect for enjoying time spent walking his dog.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

mind the walrus posted:

Portal 2 is almost half a decade old and Borderlands 2 isn't my thing, but I got to give a man respect for enjoying time spent walking his dog.

Chell is Cave & Caroline's daughter

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

etalian posted:

Can we at least agree that Guardians of the Galaxy and Winter Soldier were very good.

i thought the new thor was a fun movie but apparently im wrong about that

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

hemophilia posted:

The modern super hero movie is Iron Man told with more or less people and different costumes over and over. it's the same. if you like iron man 1 you can like all the marvel movies on some level because it's absolutely the same thing with a different coat of paint and drama/story is absolutely secondary to poo poo blowing up.

so it's exactly like the source material except i can't stand comics and i can watch a comic book movie.

I'd rather get a bunch of Iron Man 1s than a bunch of Dark Knights. Iron Man 1 was a light film that didn't take itself too seriously and had fun with what it was doing. Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark was a perfect match. In other film, the unmasked scenes always drag, like you're just waiting for the guy to suit up and punch dudes. But in Iron Man 1, Tony Stark was the star and the scenes with him joking around were the best parts. It was the Tony Stark billionaire playboy show and it was glorious. They really should take Batman and make a film where Bruce Wayne is like "you know what, I'm a spoiled rich kid dressing up like a bat to punch bad guys, I can't take myself seriously so I'm gonna have fun with this" but instead all they ever do mopey poo poo with Batman.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gnarlyhotep posted:

Chell is Cave & Caroline's daughter

Anthony Burch is a weenis

burritolingus posted:

I'd rather get a bunch of Iron Man 1s than a bunch of Dark Knights. Iron Man 1 was a light film that didn't take itself too seriously and had fun with what it was doing. Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark was a perfect match. In other film, the unmasked scenes always drag, like you're just waiting for the guy to suit up and punch dudes. But in Iron Man 1, Tony Stark was the star and the scenes with him joking around were the best parts. It was the Tony Stark billionaire playboy show and it was glorious. They really should take Batman and make a film where Bruce Wayne is like "you know what, I'm a spoiled rich kid dressing up like a bat to punch bad guys, I can't take myself seriously so I'm gonna have fun with this" but instead all they ever do mopey poo poo with Batman.

That's because Batman & Robin single-handedly convinced a generation of whiny idiot fans--myself included 10 years ago--that doing Batman as anything other than serious was bound to be an embarrassing disaster. Weirdly enough 20 years on Batman & Robin is a camp classic while the Nolan flicks look like pretentious garbage.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I liked the part in Iron Man where they set up that villain Stark fucks up at the beginning only to have him get hosed up by Stain later in the movie. Dude just can't catch a break.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

mind the walrus posted:

Anthony Burch is a weenis

what does he have to do with Portal 2? :confused:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He wrote Borderlands 2. I've got no real comment on some old fan-theory.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

mind the walrus posted:

He wrote Borderlands 2. I've got no real comment on some old fan-theory.

oh then gently caress off

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i wanna like borderlands 2 but every time i play it the game sends me to frostburn canyon and i decide to hate it instead

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

i wanna like borderlands 2 but every time i play it the game sends me to frostburn canyon and i decide to hate it instead

I wanted to like Borderlands but it's a bit too high school for me. That's not a bad thing or like I'm superior to it, but nothing about it grabs me.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if anyone wonders why modern cinema is in the state it's in just count how many posts are in any given movie (Star Wars, Jarassic Park, Avengers) thread "they're supposed to be mindless fun!!" "they're not the best but, explosions :downs:" and my favorite "it's a kids* movie!!!"

*lovely romantic sub plot injected twice
*hide the zucchini jokes
*nuances ab the duality of war and the fact that Tony Stark is an arms dealer
*3 loving hours long of mindless brutal violence with no resolution or meaning
*several on screen fatalities

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
please take your kids to watch good movies instead of a 3 hour jerk fest for stunted man children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
i'm a 40 year old obese goon with an irrational hatred of action movies and i'm here to tell you how to raise your children

• Locked thread