Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

So what is Resonance?

It's basically one of those ever so popular these days retro-styled point and click adventure games; it was released in 2012 by Wadjet Eye Games (well known for Blackwell games, Gemini Rue and many others). However it was in development much longer--since 2008, and more or less by one guy, indie developer Vince Twelve. Only towards the end did Wadjet Eye step in to help it get finished and released, whereupon it received mostly very good to excellent reviews.

What is this about? It's difficult to say much without spoiling the twisty plot, but it more or less concerns four people (see above image) who for one reason or another get involved into a situation concerning some new and powerful technology which may or may not fall into the wrong hands, depending on their actions. Yes, I know that I've now described about half the games out there, but trust me on this, you do not want the plot of this one spoiled beforehand, not even a little bit.

Technically, it's your standard sprite-style graphics (although I think it looks pretty good) with some nice music and voice acting that ranges from excellent to very slightly dodgy on occasion. It also features some interesting additional game mechanics which I will explain when we come to them. It also unfortunately features one of the most irritating mazes in the history of adventure games (although it is somewhat plot justified).

The playthrough will be done in video format with (mostly sparse) subtitles. I have been experimenting a little bit with subtitle positioning so they won't be usually at the bottom of the screen, rather I will try to keep them around where the action is so you don't have to divert your attention. This may or may not work well, we'll see.

Obviously, please don't post any spoilers in this thread!

Videos:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Welcome to part 1 of Resonance; I like to call this one the "pre-prologue" as we still have the prologue proper to go through after! Click on the image to watch the video--make sure to switch it to 720px HD for optimal quality if it doesn't happen automatically.

In this one we've met Ed, first of our characters, who is some sort of scientist working in Juno labs in Aventine City. You may have noticed some additional buttons "LTM" and "STM" next to the inventory button--ignore them for now, they will come into play very soon.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

In this one, we move on to the actual prologue, but it will take us a few parts to get through it! Click on the image to watch the video.

So, yes, Detective Bennet is really voiced by the soothing tones of Logan Cunningham's voice; he's the excellent part of the voice acting spectrum I mentioned in the introduction.

By this point you can sort of figure out that the game is set either in a slightly different version of our world, or alternately in what could be described as very near future. The events might so far seem a bit random (even more so when you see the next part), but don't worry, there is a plot behind all this and we'll get there in time.

Next time: Even more new characters!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

Oh hey. It's that game I bought on a Steam sale and haven't installed for almost three years!
It's actually pretty good?

Yeah it's not bad--it has a decent plot with some interesting turns, graphics/music is nice enough for a retro sprite-based look. Voice acting for main characters is ok, but can be a bit iffy sometimes for side characters among other things because often several characters are done by the same person and it's actually noticeable.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

This is the second part of prologue, and involves a rather lengthy early morning hacking session! Click on the image to watch the video.

So this is our third character, Ray--he seems to be a journalist of some sort, investigating what appears to be a strange conspiracy that somehow involves surreptitiously gathering the DNA of all citizens.

Game mechanics-wise, we encounter for the first time long term and short term memory. STM is mainly so that you can use objects from the environment in conversations--this is simply to facilitate talking about stuff that can't be picked up. Also it is completely at your discretion, you can put in anything you want up to a certain limit. It doesn't generally persist outside a particular segment of the game you use it in. LTM is populated automatically by the game and stores important events that you can reference much later--it generally persists a lot longer than STM, as you might expect.

So, that three out of four characters that you see on the banner--you know what we'll be doing next time! There's one last person to meet.

Next time: Even more new characters!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Hey guys I have to ask you something...

We're 3 updates in and it's pretty much just me posting here... but the videos have at least a few views. So I was wondering what's the issue (if any)--is this just too boring or is there simply nothing to say about this game?

Anything you can suggest that would make this more interesting is quite welcome. :v:

Thanks!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Thanks everybody for the comments!

Let's keep going then; to celebrate here is a double update today--the last two parts of the prologue. Individually they are quite short, so I figured I might as well post both today. Also this will allow us to finally put the prologue behind and move on to the real plot of the game. :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

The third part of the prologue, and this one is a bit different. Click on the image to watch the video.

This is our final character, Anna. We'll find out more about her in the coming parts.

Like last segment demonstrated the use of Short Term Memory, this one does the same for Long Term Memory. Other than that, the pressure is not just for show, we are indeed on a time limit and if the monster manages to break down the door, we will have to start over from the beginning of this part. Locking the door as your first action, however, increases the time limit quite a bit, so if you do that you should be quite comfortable to accomplish everything necessary, there's even room for errors as you've seen. The game will always make it seem you finished in the nick of time though!

There is actually enough time to "escape" even if you don't lock the door, but you must already know what to do in advance, i.e. what's the code for the chest and so on.

I forgot to mention that in the previous part with Ray, all names and passwords are randomised and won't be the same in different playthoughs; however the code on the bear is always the same.

This the last of the four characters; there is one more short part of the introduction and then we can move on to the real plot of the game.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

The final part of the prologue, and no new characters in this one! Click on the image to watch the video.

As you could see, there is not a whole lot to do in this part; it's just a short conversation with Anna, and Ed arriving at the lab building, only to discover it half-destroyed.

If you continue talking to Anna until all options are exhausted, you get an achievement for being a creeper!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

Hey! They got that grate puzzle from The Longest Journey! Right down for needing one coin from a pile of them.

But wait till you see what they did with the rubber ducky puzzle!

Just kidding, there is no such thing in this game! :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Wedemeyer posted:

Oh man I am loving this mystery poo poo. Is there a reason you played the characters semi-inverted clockwise? But how the hell did they get all those DNA samples?And knowing which one went to whom? I'm only up to part 3 though.

No, not really, I just played the segments in order which I felt flows the best story-wise; you'll see when you watch the other two videos why.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm lurking about and enjoying this tremendously. Your use of text location is really effective-and Anna's section is suitably disturbing. It's not hard to see the subtext there.

Yeah that one is pretty clear what it's hinting at. This game does go to some darker places than you would expect--even though the dialogues so far seem fairly lighthearted, don't be fooled.

ivantod fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 11, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Finally, we get into the game proper! Click on the image to watch the video.

There was a nice bit of light puzzle solving in this one--the co-op work feels very natural and not even a little bit annoying. Same unfortunately cannot be said about Saul the overdone Jewish stereotype that may or may not border on offensive. Yes, I understand that he's meant to be annoying, but still.

Regarding that panel puzzle, it's just an alternate option if you don't move the boulder that's blocking the front door. Essentially, each pin has a particular voltage value (which you don't know) and you need to connect the pins in such a way that sum values is exactly what you need to activate the door. Needless to say, this is tedious and annoying, so luckily you don't have to do it if you don't want to.

And since Saul was complaining about "thump-thump" music, here is a nice example of it, apropos of nothing in particular at all, just to enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgx_V0So0qk.

Have fun until next time.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

dreezy posted:

As far as offensiveness goes, Dave Gilbert himself is Jewish and his first commercial game was called The Shivah and it starred a Rabbi who is voiced by the same actor as Saul, Abe Goldfarb. But you can interpret the character how you will.

Eh, I don't know, it felt a little overdone to me. Maybe I'm a little bit overly sensitive; it's just a minor character anyway, so I guess we can leave it alone. Certainly was not intending to make a huge point of it anyway. But thanks for the info about Shivah, it's a game that interests me for sure, but haven't gotten a chance to play it yet!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

dreezy posted:

Make sure you play the updated rerelease, appropriately titled "The Shivah: Kosher Edition".

I'm going to have to say, as far as special edition names go, that one is pretty good. Also it's basically $5 at GOG, so I guess I should finally go and play it. I've heard good things about it.

Oh yeah another thing that I forgot, but will be pretty obvious as we go though the game... Abe Goldfarb, the guy who voices Saul, seems to be doing about half the character voices in this game, literally. In fact, we already encountered another one: Reggie, Bennet's partner!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 13, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think I'll check out this LP. Will the OP be updated with links to the videos?

Yes, I have updated OP with everything that's been posted so far. Thanks for reminding me!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

We continue just where we left off last time. Click on the image to watch the video.

So this was just another short break where our characters sit down and have a conversation. About Dr. Morales's journal, we will have a chance to try our hand at deciphering it very soon (although technically you don't need to do it to finish the game). If you try to break the lock, as Ed suggests, the journal gets destroyed and you don't get a chance to read it any more. So don't do that.

Next time we'll be experiencing somewhat of a déjà vu.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

Oh it's just a pigpen cipher. We probably need to find a decoder sheet now.

Yes, the game is not really trying to hide the fact that it's some sort of pigpen cipher, although it does have a slight modification from what you would normally expect. If you are trying to decipher this, be aware that the actual text in game that we'll be looking at is a lot longer than those couple of pages you've seen in the video! :v:

Also if you do decipher it, I ask you to not post it here in the thread please since we will get to that point very shortly, maybe in just a couple of episodes. Thanks. :)

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

A whole bunch of stuff in this part--we begin with the most annoying maze ever in an adventure game though! Click on the image to watch the video.

Finally all four characters are gathered together and now we can really start to investigate what's going on. As you saw, there are a few things to do (and characters who have volunteered to do them), so that's what we'll be taking care of in the next few parts. We also got a glimpse at a part of the pigpen cipher used for Dr. Morales's journal (although, to be completely honest since it's really just a substitution cipher, it's easy to break it even without any help). Either way, we'll take care of that soon.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Wedemeyer posted:

Oh man, at some of the tunnel corners there were loving scratch marks, like someone was marking the days. Poor Anna. I like that disorienting mechanic though. Does that white splotch that sometimes appears mean the monster is nearby? I can't actually tell what it's suppose to be.... And what the hell were those hand/claw prints? :stare:

There is no time limit or monsters/enemies of any kind in the maze--you can explore as much as you like, although there is nothing to be found apart from memories and those incidental details. Considering that it's all supposed to be Anna's dram, I guess it comes somehow from her own experience, but probably exaggerated/distorted in some way. Although the game is pretty clear about her having been abused in some way as a child (and there is more coming on this topic).

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

It's time to get on with the previously mentioned tasks--so Anna and Ray will set out to obtain those financial records. Click on the image to watch the video.

It's nice to see some follow up on that whole online dating thing with Emma, pretty funny. Other than that, we've accomplished the first task and we have a new location available to us, the Tortoise Security, whatever that is.

Next time we'll take a break and deal with deciphering that journal.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

Would giving Ozzy the real medicine come back to bite us in the rear end, or do we just lose out on those points?

You just get an extra point and Anna makes that comment about placebos if you use them. There are no other consequences for using real drugs.

ViggyNash posted:

So you can leave people in a certain place and go back for them, like you did with Ray. Do they stay there forever?

I think not in general, believe it or not I've never actually tried--but this situation was a special case as Anna will always go to the morgue alone. So whoever she's with (if anybody) will not follow. And it case it wasn't obvious, actually none of the actions we did in this part required the characters to go anywhere together, it could have all been accomplished by returning to the baseball field a few times to exchange items and such. :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

The second task we need to accomplish is to have a look around the cemetery for any clues about that "your uncle holds the key" thing. As was already mentioned, this task will be taken up by Anna and Ed. After that, Anna takes a crack at the journal. Click on the image to watch the video.

So, as was already commented a few times, the journal cipher was an extremely simple substitution cipher--so much so, that you don't even need that memory to be able to break it; you can just start guessing words and it will all come out in a few seconds. In fact, the cipher has a slight variation--a few letters can be represented by multiple different symbols, but since it's all so simple, you'd hardly even notice. It doesn't look like the journal holds any information that will be helpful in the future, although it certainly provides a lot of backgrounds on events that have lead up to this point.

Now we can proceed with the last bit, which is to get the laboratory blueprints from the police building. This one will take quite some effort and practically our entire team to achieve it--in fact, only Ed will be sitting that part out.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

ViggyNash posted:

Fez has a similar puzzle in which you have to decipher the game's unique alphabet. The game gives you a brilliant an imaginative means of decoding it. (There was a 100% lp of it recently, check it out.)

By comparison, this cipher is rather disappointing. But it's not a bad puzzle, and I like the way it streamlines the decoding process. Plus it plays in well with the narrative.

Yes, I have actually seen the LP by frozentreasure if that's what you are referring to. Honestly, this cipher literally couldn't be any simpler even if it wanted to. :v: Funnily enough, you only get the memory that gives you part of the cipher if you completely solve the dream maze (it's possible to exit from it without finding everything), but ultimately it (like pretty much any normal substitution cipher really) is solvable without any help, purely through the characteristics of the language and guessing the words that are likely to appear so you don't even need help. And finally, this task (deciphering) is completely optional and you don't need to do it to solve the game--as seen, it only provides some background but no real clues how to progress, so the whole thing is kind of meh. They did make a nice interface for solving it though, so you don't have to use paper or whatever. :v:

In a Crocodile Dundee movie, FEZ would come to this game and say That's not a cipher! THIS is a cipher.

Oh, btw, those of you who haven't seen the FEZ LP by frozentreasure, go and watch right now, you can thank me later!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

We are moving closer to the vault! In this part we go and visit Tortoise Security and learn a whole lot more. Click on the image to watch the video.

Turns out, it seems that this plot runs deeper than we at first thought! Next time, we'll finally work on actually getting the blueprints. All pieces are in place, but as mentioned, it will take some effort!

Oh, does anybody want to know what's the Collatz Conjecture?

P.S. Apologies for a couple of small audio glitches in this one. I am running a Mac version of this game, and unfortunately, it's just a WINE wrapper around the Windows executable so it can be a bit temperamental at times.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm curious, what is a Collatz Conjecture?

It actually doesn't really have anything to do with the game. As Ed said it was formulated in 1937 by a German mathematician Lothar Collatz:

quote:

Take any natural number n. If n is even, divide it by 2 to get n/2. If n is odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1 to obtain 3n + 1. Repeat the process indefinitely. The conjecture is that no matter what number you start with, you will always eventually reach 1.

So far it hasn't been proven or disproven, funnily enough. Or as XKCD put it, much more entertainingly:

And as for the other thing, don't forget that the door is numbered 11, and that the strange person that Ray has been talking to via email is involved with something called "The Eleven Foundation".

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

The time has come to get those vault blueprints! And, as mentioned, it will not be easy. Click on the image to watch the video.

Seems, there is lot of block pushing in this one, huh? Especially the tortoise puzzle brings back memories of Sokoban--hopefully it was clear from the video how it works, but if not, ask and I will explain in more details.

As for the rest, I'll just say: the plot thickens--not to mention that there is the whole OTHER side of plot (The Eleven Foundation) that we have barely even touched upon still.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

Your audio is out of sync in that video. Or is that in the game too?

I'm pretty sure it's not like that in the game, but unfortunately it would be difficult to fix since it seems some sort of a "drift" is happening over the course of a video--this one had a lot of editing so probably that's what's caused it. I'm probably going to leave it as is as the only part that is really very noticeable is the ending scene, but I was planning to include a repeat of it anyway at the beginning of the next video (because the scene continues from there). I'll make sure that the next video doesn't have this issue.

Sorry. :(

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Let's see if we can enter the vault! That is, if we even want to. Click on the image to watch the video.

Knowing what you know after watching this video, it's interesting to go back and see certain people's interactions in a very different light. I'm not going to say anything else for now to give people a chance to watch this first without being spoiled.

Other than that, we finally encounter this game's equivalent of cat hair moustache puzzle--it's not as convoluted but it makes just as little sense. I was also a bit disappointed that the pencil solution was used twice in quick succession, it seems to me that this could have been done in a better way.

But anyway, the question is... where do we go from here?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

legoman727 posted:

Ed, you creepy, creepy bastard. Now the simple question is, was he in on the conspiracy or did he just go loving nuts for the sake of science. Either way, put a bullet in him!

I think regarding him the game does pull a neat trick in leading you to believe that he is the protagonist of sorts, but in fact after the initial section at the labs he more or less completely fades into the background and doesn't really have a significant role until now. Another thing is to watch part 5 video again, after having seen this part, things that are said by him there can take a slightly different meaning.

Also, unrelated, and it's kind of a blink and you'll miss it thing, but Bennet is gay.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Discendo Vox posted:

A couple questions.

1. Is there any use for the third magnet switch in the Sokoban section?
2. What does to QR code on the thermal scanner have on it?
3. Can you solve the puzzle box without the sonogram?
4. Is there anything at Anna's apartment?

Also, yesss, cat's hair moustache! Really, though, that puzzle isn't obscure at all- it's an adventure game classic for getting something just out of reach.

A couple of answers.

1. Yes, but I guess this wasn't obvious from the video because when you first touch it it has no power connected. But the third switch is not for magnets, it's for the walkways that extend out of the floors. The switch is initially without power, but you can still turn it on and then go down to the fuse box and activate the power (which is what Ray did in the video). Doing it the other way around takes more "moves" (to activate power first and the the switch).
2. Unfortunately nothing so interesting, it just resolves to a link to game author's website: http://xiigames.com.
3. See above, there is indeed an achievement for this, but I honestly can't see how you would do it blind unless you already know the exact route to take.
4. In fact, despite it being on the map, you can't even go there--if you try, the character will make some comment about it not being safe to do so or something along those lines.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

With Anna dead and Ed out at large, it is now up to Bennet and Ray to figure out what's really going on! Click on the image to watch the video.

So the various plot strands are finally coming together, it seems and we meet the elusive "A. Batra". Incidentally, I feel that this scene is let down a bit by the fact that his voice actor is the same guy who does Reggie and Saul and it's kind of difficult to get past the fact that you've JUST HEARD HIS VOICE in the previous scene! Other than that, if you are wondering about his accent, I am pretty sure it's supposed to be northern English, let's say Manchester or so (in fact, I have a friend from there and he speaks pretty much exactly like this).

Other than that, it seems that game really pulled an "unreliable narrator" on us with Ed here. Because there was a whole lot he could have mentioned while we were looking around his place, but he didn't. Not only that, but it seems he's the one who stole the devices and caused the explosion. Most of his actions from the beginning of the game now look completely different in this light! Now you know why Ed was so unconcerned about calculating the location of devices.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Ray and Bennet continue trying to trace Ed. Click on the image to watch the video.

So we found out a bit more about Ed's motivations and what happened before, but it's all still relatively unclear. Looks like Ed is planning to blow up the hospital. I feel that at this point the game's plot has gone just a bit off the rails. First of all, since Ed already gained access to the mainframe room, why does he even need to use the Resonance devices to destroy it? Second, how many are there stolen devices? Did he take more from the vault or what?

In any case, and here is where the other issue with this game finally rears its ugly head, this is actually the last proper update. All that's left is to see the possible endings (which are not too long each) and we're done. Yes, for real. But we'll talk more about that after we're finished.

Also, sorry again about a slight audio drift in this video.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Bacter posted:

hobo rasta man

...with Manchester accent! :v:

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is this a maximum point run?

No, definitely not, if nothing else because I skipped that optional wiring puzzle at the very beginning. However, nothing should be missed story-wise and I don't expect too many points to be missing (in fact probably they will all be there except for that puzzle and maybe one or two other small things).

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

This time, we'll see the first possible ending of this game. Click on the image to watch the video.

So the first option is to stop Ed from destroying Antevorta--this is achieved by manoeuvring him right into the middle in between his resonance device and the other that Ray has in his pocket. Thus, killing him when the devices are activated. However, publishing Ray's article eventually seems to lead to the truth behind the project. Speaking of which, did you notice who was standing right next to the Vice-president during his speech? But either way, this potentially could be classified as a "not-horribly-bad" ending, albeit at quite a cost.

You may be wondering how the ending changes if Ray opts not to publish the article. You can watch the video with the changed headlines here. As expected, in this version, Antevorta pretty much takes over the world.

As a matter of curiosity I will note that this game is from 2012 and actually predates the whole NSA/Snowden scandal--not that people were not already aware of it before then, though, but that is what really brought it front and centre for many.

There is one more possibility for ending, which we will address next time. And no, unfortunately, none of the endings involve Anna surviving this whole thing.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I kinda wish the game would show more of the Eleven Foundation, maybe from Ed's point of view. And can you show a list of achievements?

The achievements are all listed on this game's Steam page, here: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/212050/achievements. There doesn't seem to be any secret ones, which is kind of interesting as there are a couple that are a bit spoilery--relating to the endings.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I saw an achievement about a commentary mode. What's that about?

Oh, yeah, there is an option in this game to play it with developer's commentary enabled--basically as you play, you get snippets of audio commentary from the creator (Vince Twelve) and the publisher (Dave Gilbert from Wadjet Games and his wife who also helped with coding). There are also some bits from a couple of voice actors (Abe Goldfarb and the guy who plays Ray). It's kind of interesting and I'll cover some of the tidbits in the last part next time. :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hi, this is the last part of Resonance, in which we explore the other alternative ending. Click on the image to watch the video.

So this ending seems to at first make things better, but then the world more or less regresses back to where it was, with Eleven guys at large. I'm going to lave it up to you to figure out which of the 2.5 endings we saw is actually a good outcome! The one interesting thing is that here we don't get a choice whether to publish the article or not.

Well, that's the end of the game and the end of this LP. It was fun for me, and hopefully for you too.

As for the game itself, I am kind of torn. It has many good points, but in the end, at least to me, it feels a little half-baked. Most importantly, even though it's not super short (when you add up all the videos, it comes probably to a good 5-6 hours), it somehow feels short, like there is in the end, not a whole lot to do in it. It's kind of weird, because to me, Anna always felt like the central figure of the story, but then she gets killed about 2/3 of the way through and the rest just seems like going through the motions a little bit.

Interestingly enough, the game actually has a developer's commentary option where as you play you can hear occasional insights from the author Vince Twelve and also Dave Gilbert from Wadjet and a few of the voice actors. As I have mentioned before, the game was largely a labour of love of one person (Vince) until Wadjet stepped in to help finish it out with Dave Gilbert's wife helping as a developer. Overall I have to say that technically, the game is quite good for its genre/type with nice music and voice acting and good graphics too. Not to mention the interesting game mechanics like memory and managing multi-person team which both work quite well I think.

To me it always seemed a bit like the game was cut shorter that it was supposed to be, but it seems not to be the case based on the commentary. The scene in the vault was always meant to be what it is now. In fact, the game was intended to start there and then flash back to the beginning, but ultimately it was decided that it would be too much for the player to digest all that after just starting the game so they changed it around. In a way, up until the vault, it feels like a really exciting prologue to a big story, but then it kind of doesn't end up going much of anywhere with it. I feel that there's a bit too much random stuff in the game that just falls by the wayside as the story goes on--for example the computer guy that keeps popping painkillers, we never see him again. A few other things, but most importantly the Eleven foundation, which seems just a collection of random elements that don't really seem to fit together very well. Like, what's the deal with the Japanese lady? Turns out, Vince's wife is Japanese and they lived there for quite a while. In fact she even voices that character. There doesn't seem any other reason for her to be what she is.

And then there are just plain plot holes, if you ask me. Like the whole mainframe thing--would they really just have all of that on one mainframe and no way to recover it if gets destroyed? I am sorry, but that's a bit too much to swallow.

In the end, as I've said, the game is quite topical with its themes of government surveillance and secret databases and so on, even though it does predate the whole NSA scandal by about a year. And it may seem that I am really unloading on the game right now, but in fact that's only because it has so much potential that it can't help but feel a bit unfulfilled at the end.

All right, I've been talking enough, I will leave you here and probably see you soon in another thread with something COMPLETELY different than this! Once again thanks to everybody for watching and participating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

This is basically .txt for a lot of indie games nowadays. This is almost always the case. They are either too short because the developer didn't know how to space the story better, or they are padded with filler to make them feel longer. There is rarely a middle ground.
I will give this game credit, there were very few parts where I would have had to rub my entire inventory on something before continuing, but it still feels like a disjointed story.

Not that I'm advocating "rub everything on everything else" puzzles, but I think part of the problem with this game is kind of in that area: if you look at it carefully, you will realise that probably about half or even 2/3 of it is basically people standing around and talking. Sure, the dialogue is actually decently written and they are talking about interesting stuff, but it feels like you only very occasionally do a couple of things before hitting the next dialogue section, doesn't it?

Again, I don't even think this is a bad game (and for $10 how much it costs, you can do a LOT worse), but even though it has a seed of something good in it, and its heart is in the right place, it is for sure extremely flawed in execution--not so much on the technical side as there it's actually quite decent, but on the writing/pacing side. Basically, it feels very front-loaded: e.g. there is that long puzzle section right at the beginning when Ed gets at the lab for the first time, but there really isn't anything like that later on any more.

Oh and here's another tidbit: Sarah Elmaleh, who plays Anna, is actually the one who brought in Logan Cunningham. Basically she already knew him from before and suggested it to the producers and they said, "no way, he's not going to do it", and she said, "well, why don't you ask him", and they did and he said yes. :v:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 9, 2015

• Locked thread