Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Ah, Watch_Dogs.

I gave a lot of thoughts regarding the game, particularly on how they characterise Aiden, in a previous LP. Generally the same kind of 'there's a lot of good ideas/bits to this, but it doesn't come together right' feeling, because that's really where the game stumbles. Aiden as a anti-heroic vigilante doesn't mesh well enough with Aiden the (possibly) sociopathic cyber criminal, or the vengeful family man. Any one of those as the core focus could have worked, and occasionally you'll see it in particular missions that pretty firmly know which Aiden they're going with, but as an overall character with a supposed arc, our leading man just kinda ends up looking confused and bland, particularly if you've seen any 'mature' action film or show from the last decade or so.

Though, as I work through the first video: The door that Aiden claims is unlocked from the other side has push handles facing Aiden. You know, the kind used on fire exits and stuff. How and why is a door like that locked from halfway across the next room? I know its minor, but it feels telling of so much of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeckledJim
Oct 30, 2011
So is there an actual reason why the devs didn't make Lena Aiden's daughter, rather than his niece? The more I think about it, the more it baffles me.

Apologies if the answer is a spoiler.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I'm getting a "too many cooks spoil the broth" kind of feel from this game. Lots of good ideas but they're all conflicting and the final result is ruined by the compromises.

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 3, 2015

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

Chicago has every football team right now and it's why I can't take the buses I want this weekend.

Doesn't it also have the Bears?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

SpeckledJim posted:

So is there an actual reason why the devs didn't make Lena Aiden's daughter, rather than his niece? The more I think about it, the more it baffles me.

I haven't played the game so I don't know if there's an actual reason, but I've been wondering this too.

I can only assume the "renegade single dad" trope was in full swing because of The Last of Us, Bioshock, et al. Although they wanted a new take on it so they made Aiden an uncle, someone generally associated with only being seen on Thanksgiving and Christmas. This whole "birthday party" idea is outside an uncle's jurisdiction so it's understandable that he's reluctant to stop caning innocent civilians and riding his motorcycle into stores to attend.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

SpeckledJim posted:

FinalGamer posted:

No see being the dad avenging a daughter is cliché and we are all about the new and edgy stuff so let's make him an uncle!

CUZ TROPES YO :v:

This comment from the first page of the thread is probably the best answer you're going to get, because honestly, this is about the level of effort they put into the game.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

baldurk posted:

Note the area above his forehead that isn't textured, as it will always be covered by Aiden Pearce's Iconic Cap™.

I loved this writeup, but this is the part that's going to stay with me.
Edited to add the image of Aiden's head texture.

Kloro fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 3, 2015

SpeckledJim
Oct 30, 2011
So essentially they browsed TV Tropes and figured "creativity" just involved doing the opposite?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SpeckledJim posted:

So essentially they browsed TV Tropes and figured "creativity" just involved doing the opposite?

Sounds like most TV Tropes users really.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I'm getting a "too many cooks spoil the broth" kind of feel from this game. Looks of good ideas but they're all conflicting and the final result is ruined by the compromises.
Yeah, I'm guessing there were too many ideas and there was probably some executive interference too.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Sounds like most TV Tropes users really.

I think that's giving both groups a little too much credit. Most TV Tropes users just treat their website as a paint-by-numbers for writing.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

SpeckledJim posted:

Somebody probably surmised that gamers would be less sympathetic to Papa Aiden, blaming him for being criminal while a parent. As an uncle, there's a dodge where the child's close, while still being a random bystander to gangland revenge.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

SpeckledJim posted:

I heard somewhere that Aiden was originally designed to be Lena's dad, and his current sister was his wife early in development, with Lena's death being the wedge that had pushed "Mom" and "Dad" apart.

Which appears to have been changed last minute. The dialogue as it is plays perfectly with Aiden being the deadbeat dad, as long as you ignore him constantly talking about his wife as "sister".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bearpigman posted:

This has to be the first time in over a year that the words "Watchdogs" and "Excited" unironically existed in my mind at the same time

unless we are talking about watches with dogs on them. I am always excited for that

What about dogs wearing watches? That would be pretty awesome too.

SpeckledJim
Oct 30, 2011

Calax posted:

I heard somewhere that Aiden was originally designed to be Lena's dad, and his current sister was his wife early in development, with Lena's death being the wedge that had pushed "Mom" and "Dad" apart.

Which appears to have been changed last minute. The dialogue as it is plays perfectly with Aiden being the deadbeat dad, as long as you ignore him constantly talking about his wife as "sister".

Does this mean we'll be dealing with weirdly inappropriate brother/sister dialogue?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

SpeckledJim posted:

Does this mean we'll be dealing with weirdly inappropriate brother/sister dialogue?

No. Because if anything, Aiden is a-sexual at this point.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Calax posted:

His true love is hacking.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Calax posted:

I really do think that somewhere in Aiden's characterisation was meant to be some kind of neurosis, perhaps a degree of psychopathy. His behaviour would make some sense in a context where his capacity for empathy is actually limited, and not just an oversight of clumsy writing. Except then of course he's going around playing vigilante because of... reasons.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

^^ His vigilante antics could easily be played into some sense of psychotic control, wanting to make the world make sense or feel powerful. Again there is a lot this game could have done narrative with its source material but it fails at every step.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

His true love is violence.

ftfy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

what do you think of vulkan and dx12, besides "long loving overdue"?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hacking could be two things but I guess he's not into blades.

SpeckledJim
Oct 30, 2011
Aiden probably thinks murder is just a way of "hacking" into someone's wallet and personal effects.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I don't want to get too much into the later plot but Aiden does have a thing for power and violence... his character can only go down from here.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Wild Knight posted:

I didn't actively turn on this game like everyone else did, but the game that came out was definitely less impressive than the initial teaser.
Both are boring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, that's the thing about Watch_Dogs, the gameplay segments are actually decent.

Hell, it's even got some great loosely scripted missions at points and if you don't rely on guns too much half of the "combat" scenarios become interesting, higher tech Thief-style puzzles. You can do some brilliant stuff if you stick to hacking as much as possible for dealing with foes.

Yeah, that's the big problem with Watch_Dogs I think. It isn't a genuinely bad game. It has some strong moments and at its worst it is Generic GTA Knockoff #9373 except for one or two real lovely moments. However everything except the core gameplay is... well, the LP'll show it off.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

To be fair, it does also have one of the best minigames that a game like this has ever seen, though it gets a lot of points for sheer absurdity (and personally adds to my theory that Aiden would've worked as just a flat out supervillain).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that's the big problem with Watch_Dogs I think. It isn't a genuinely bad game. It has some strong moments and at its worst it is Generic GTA Knockoff #9373 except for one or two real lovely moments. However everything except the core gameplay is... well, the LP'll show it off.

And, y'know, it was hyped up as THE next-gen video game and wound up being a sub-par GTA clone straight outta the noughties. It was also done no favors by GTA V still being pretty fresh.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

But with BITCOIN!

Ruff_Hunter
Aug 21, 2013
My ex-girlfriend used to work for ubisoft and I remember the stress of this game a few weeks before it came out. She was a QA tester. I don't speak to her anymore unfortunately so can't really hit her up for information bit I vividly remember her coming home and saying :

"the trains just stop, and no one cares "

Excited for this game to be torn apart by goons.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Spiritus Nox posted:

And, y'know, it was hyped up as THE next-gen video game and wound up being a sub-par GTA clone straight outta the noughties. It was also done no favors by GTA V still being pretty fresh.

Of course, then watchunderscoredogs got delayed.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SpeckledJim posted:

Awkwardly tender moments but nothing overtly sexual. Which would fit a separated couple just fine so really nobody can figure out why they hosed with it.

Hope they get to show off some of the alternate, non-conflict ways to solve some of the missions (ctOS stations especially) but I won't be surprised if they don't want to bother either. It's possible but generally much more trouble for much less XP.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

I hope Chip drives a giant spider in this game. I hope that very much.

e: VVV I thought that the Best Part of this Bad Game was common knowledge. Sorry about that.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 4, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I hope that very much.
Man, leave a little to be surprised about :argh:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Aidan Pierce is like what a 13 year old would think is a cool name for their DnD character, its like two steps away from Dirk Knifesteel.

quote:

Dirk Knifesteel graduated at the top of his class in swashbuckling assassin school, but even so he had always been something of an outsider. But now LaserDetroit, an old timey 1920s version of detroit, but in the future, was under attack, and the people who had made fun of Dirk during school were going to realize just how much he had learned about being an assassin... It was the year 1920. After man kind had gone so far into the future, they had to start re-using years that had already happened, and the city of LaserDetroit was entering an unparallelled period of productivity, closely parallelled by that of regular Detroit in the previous 20th century, only it wasn't cars they were producing... It was assassins.

That quote might be a first draft of this games story.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

Midnight Voyager posted:

And I'm pretty sure he borrowed that suit from Kazuma Kiryu.

Exhibit A:

Oh man THAT is a crossover I would pay for.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Pwnstar posted:

Aidan Pierce is like what a 13 year old would think is a cool name for their DnD character, its like two steps away from Dirk Knifesteel.

That quote might be a first draft of this games story.

Not really? It's just a generic white guy name. It ain't got nothing on Jack Slate.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
The name Aiden reeks millennial and would make perfect sense for a character born in the year 2005 who now lives in a high tech future. And then they go and set the game in 2013.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing there were too many ideas and there was probably some executive interference too.

That and they put together a fancy gameplay demonstration that wasn't actually running on the console and raised expectations above what they were actually capable of delivering

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Augus posted:

That and they put together a fancy gameplay demonstration that wasn't actually running on the console and raised expectations above what they were actually capable of delivering

Yeah, that's some Peter Molyneux crap right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Kurieg posted:

Remember Me at least kept true to it's original thread. Sensen was created with absolutely no sense of accounting for the horrific abuses it would allow, and bringing it down is probably for the best. Nillin is conflicted about it, but realizes that since she's lost her memories and Edge isn't feeding her the whole story she has no way to go but forward. Nillin is aware that she's a hypocrite and tries to resolve it internally, and the degree to which Edge is a hypocrite is actually a huge plot point.
Nnnnnnnnoooooooo not really. I mean yes Sensen is a terrible place that really does not account for people's traumatising experiences, and yes Nillin knows she is a hypocrite when she REALISES from her internal flashback and poo poo. But as opposed to, you know, actually abusing the hell out of people's memories in order to artificially make friends...not really.
That killer assassin who was hired to cut you? Just gently caress with her memory and make her think Sensen killed her boyfriend so she works for you, that's TOTALLY not manipulative at all and exactly what Sensen would do, if anything that really makes you worse because I don't remember Sensen rewiring memories so much as holding them for ransom.

And then the lesson at the END with the whole moral about "hey maybe not gently caress with people's memories" is kinda bullshit because I had to do that the past six hours to know about that whilst actively knowing what I was doing is kinda hypocritical to the extreme. I mean if I was FIXING people's memories when they already got hosed up by either Sensen or even Nilin herself previously before all the plot happened, that would actually make it work instead.

poo poo, if the entire game was fixing the memories I hosed up from my past experiences, that would be amazing AND still keep with the actual message at the end which we kinda knew all anyway, instead of being an actual blatant hypocrite to reach an ending about how all of this you did was stupid bullshit you should not have done, period. Oh no I agree Edge being a hypocrite was a great plot point, the problem is that EVERYBODY is a huge hypocrite so what really matterrrrrs...? :shrug:

I'm sorry but I'm really putting this game in the same boat as Remember Me as a great concept poorly executed by its story and motivation.

Accordion Man posted:

Scrooge could also kick Aiden's pasty white rear end with his eyes closed and his arms tied behind his back.
You're talking about the only man who ever faced Theodore loving Roosevelt canonically in a fight and lived despite having made a new branch of the Grand Canyon during it.
Scrooge could kick anybody's rear end.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 4, 2015

• Locked thread