Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
As has been established, I speak with people from all over the country on a daily basis and while I sometimes struggle with accents, what I struggle with more are people that have accents and/or are hard to understand and are also rude about it. Surprisingly the South isn't the worst offender here (rudeness), its those goddam Yankee's in the North East. Mispronounce one of their vowel-laden cities? They get mad. Don't immediately know the difference from "214 Fifth Street" (said really fast) and "204 Six Street" when it was really 294 Fifteenth Street all along! Slow that poo poo down, we don't all have to live at 1000 mph at all times.

Then we get into the different boroughs and districts and West City this and East City That, as if its painfully obvious for everyone that Deer Park is WAY different than Brentwood. They are literally on top of each other on a map, how is a non New Yorker supposed to know the difference between these districts when all that separates them is a single street and you literally live on that street. These people get actually OFFENDED if you don't know this. Never have I encountered such hostility over something so trivial, and its almost always New Yorkers on or around Long Island. Upstate New Yorkers are usually pretty chill bros.

But a lot of North Easterners seem to have this idea that everyone is out to get them or somehow short change them. Its never a price or cost for a good or service, but a way for The Man to squeeze them for all their worth. I've had people argue with me over having to pay registration fees on their vehicles in places like Connecticut and New Hampshire since they "Don't drive it that much anyways, and they drive into Massachusetts so why should New Hampshire get my money?! These freakin' guys, I tell ya". I mean no one likes paying all their taxes and fees and stuff, but these guys take it to a new level.

Is it the saturation of Dunkin Donuts up there? Stop and Shop? Baseball fandom? Are people really out to get people in a predatory way in the North East and that is just a way of life? What causes people to be so freakin' mean to people they don't know in that part of the country? I mean where I'm from(What is widely considered to be the best city in the Midwest you don't have to like everyone, but you aren't overtly RUDE to them for no reason. Nor do you expect them to know everything about you and your situation without talking to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hey what's it fuckin to ya, rear end in a top hat

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
Why are people from the rest of the country so passive aggressively "polite"?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Because they all know Ray Romano lives somewhere near.
That would piss anyone off.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
it's the weatha

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
We're not rude. We're just constantly dealing with how slow and stupid everyone else is, and it gets tiresome.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
Assholes beget assholes.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Otto von Ruthless posted:

The real question right here.

The simplest answer is that in the Northeast, we have no patience for bullshit. You're expected to slog through massive amounts of bullshit in every social interaction in the Midwest, so seeing the veil pulled back so suddenly is probably jarring.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Yankees, I tells ya.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Frankenstyle posted:

We're not rude. We're just constantly dealing with how slow and stupid everyone else is, and it gets tiresome.

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

Frankenstyle posted:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mozi posted:

hey what's it fuckin to ya, rear end in a top hat

Literally what someone said to me when I asked for the respelling of their street name.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Think of it this way OP: when you live in small town like Des Moines where everyone knows everyone, you kind of have to be polite because if you don't they're going to gossip about how you were rude. In real cities, no one knows anyone, so there's no point trying to butter up random strangers.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

quote:

But a lot of North Easterners seem to have this idea that everyone is out to get them or somehow short change them.
Yes.

quote:

Are people really out to get people in a predatory way in the North East everywhere and that is just a way of life?
Yes.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Starving Autist posted:

The real question right here.

The simplest answer is that in the Northeast, we have no patience for bullshit. You're expected to slog through massive amounts of bullshit in every social interaction in the Midwest, so seeing the veil pulled back so suddenly is probably jarring.

This I an understand. Myself I can be kind of brusque at times. Someone is like "HEY HOW ARE YOU DOING?!!!?!?!" I simply ask what I can do to help them. I ain't got no time for faux politeness. To me that is brusque.

What I"m describing isn't brusque. Its active hostility to other people that aren't "in" with you for some reason. I am in sales and I found (and I don't do this anymore because I feel like skeezy doing it) if you are talking to a North Easterner and you can paint the "other" as a jerk/incompetent/stupid then I can make a billion mistakes and kick their dog and they will still like me because I'm "in", so long as I"m still demonizing the other guy. Why is the culture like that?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Starving Autist posted:

Think of it this way OP: when you live in small town like Des Moines where everyone knows everyone, you kind of have to be polite because if you don't they're going to gossip about how you were rude. In real cities, no one knows anyone, so there's no point trying to butter up random strangers.

I live in a town of half a million people. People do NOT know everyone else, they just don't make it their duty to make other peoples day miserable and/or hate on other people as part of their daily lives. OR at least it seems that way, I can't really believe that North Easterners really wish that much ill on other people.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Suck my cock OP Connecticut loving rules bitch

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
It's called efficiency. If someone stops you and asks "Excuse me, I was wondering if you could tell me how to get to 123 Vine Street?" that's a waste of words and time when "Excuse me, 123 Vine Street?" cuts through the bullshit. It doesn't seem like a lot, but you've heard the saying "a penny saved is a penny earned."

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Jastiger posted:

Surprisingly the South isn't the worst offender here (rudeness),

what? If you're straight and white, everyone in the south is uncomfortably friendly.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Jastiger posted:

I am in sales and I found (and I don't do this anymore because I feel like skeezy doing it) if you are talking to a North Easterner and you can paint the "other" as a jerk/incompetent/stupid then I can make a billion mistakes and kick their dog and they will still like me because I'm "in", so long as I"m still demonizing the other guy. Why is the culture like that?

Are you sure you're "In sales" and not "In sane"?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Halah posted:

It's called efficiency. If someone stops you and asks "Excuse me, I was wondering if you could tell me how to get to 123 Vine Street?" that's a waste of words and time when "Excuse me, 123 Vine Street?" cuts through the bullshit. It doesn't seem like a lot, but you've heard the saying "a penny saved is a penny earned."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuYAeiKAJdI

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
This is what happens when you ask people from the North East for directions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WblGKPTw4CE

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Jastiger posted:

What I"m describing isn't brusque. Its active hostility to other people that aren't "in" with you for some reason. I am in sales and I found (and I don't do this anymore because I feel like skeezy doing it) if you are talking to a North Easterner and you can paint the "other" as a jerk/incompetent/stupid then I can make a billion mistakes and kick their dog and they will still like me because I'm "in", so long as I"m still demonizing the other guy. Why is the culture like that?

i think this is just human nature.

as far as to why the NE is like that, it's probably a combination of a) weather b) a lot of people close to each other c) history stuff (whacko religious types (catholic guilt and internal repression expressed through hostility towards others), lots of fishermen / weirdos from way back) d) that's how everyone else acts so that's how you're expected to treat others and you'll get taken advantage of otherwise

and yeah when you visit the south you wonder "what the hell is going on, what are they trying to hide by being so polite? what's the big secret?"

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
we're objectively better than the rest of the country. better genes when it comes down to it. not rude though, just better (and faster) to tell things straight rather than perpetuate falsities and let it out later by talking poo poo behind backs. like you're doing right now.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

lmao if you live in the "Midwest"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the only consistently rude people in the northeast are people from new hampshire. other northeasterners just have a very low tolerance for bullshit, even farmers in vermont/eastern mass.

i live in oregon now and the overt politeness is infuriating. it's even worse on the roads where people do poo poo like trying to out-polite each other at stop signs.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
It's Italians.

Anywhere there's lots of Italians, you'll find the same rudeness.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Cubey posted:

the only consistently rude people in the northeast are people from new hampshire. other northeasterners just have a very low tolerance for bullshit, even farmers in vermont/eastern mass.

i live in oregon now and the overt politeness is infuriating. it's even worse on the roads where people do poo poo like trying to out-polite each other at stop signs.

proximity to Canada to blame?

Amanda Huggensuck
Nov 8, 2012
north east supremacy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

For example, think of your stereotypical loud mouth New Yorker - he's Italian, right? Hairy, wearing a wife beater, gesticulating with his hands....

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

redshirt posted:

It's Italians.

utsamatta for you, uh? *wipes smashed tomatos off chin and flicks in your direction*

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
it's the accent

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
the only nice people in the NE are the pockets of Portuguese you find in / around any major city

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

redshirt posted:

For example, think of your stereotypical loud mouth New Yorker - he's Italian, right? Hairy, wearing a wife beater, gesticulating with his hands....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRkE_Gv6ALM

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Frankenstyle posted:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

It's Italians.

Thread just got real.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
We're actually really nice and we just put up a big front of chilly no-bullshit attitude so the fat people from the Midwest, the melonheads from the South, and the retards from the West Coast don't come here.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

East Coast Beast Coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Thread just got real.

Just speaking facts. Look up a demographic map of the USA and you can pretty much equate areas of high Italian ancestry with regions associated with rudeness. Boston. Providence. New York. Philly. Northern Jersey. Chicago too.

• Locked thread