Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

a bay posted:

We're actually really nice and we just put up a big front of chilly no-bullshit attitude so the fat people from the Midwest, the melonheads from the South, and the retards from the West Coast don't come here.

lol and how's that workin out? brooklyn might as well be renamed New Boise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
See, I talk to people from say, Atlanta. May be tough to understand at times, but they aren't outright upset that I don't know THIS suburb from THAT suburb. THey'll work with ya.

Hell, same for someone in Western PA or Indianapolis. They get it, its a big city, lets figure it out. Its not just a "big city" thing.

But Allah help you if you don't know exactly where their exact spot in Brooklyn is or that its completely normal for their brothers sisters mothers boyfriend to also share the same living space with their girlfriend. Yeah, I'm the weird one for not expecting that.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

Just speaking facts. Look up a demographic map of the USA and you can pretty much equate areas of high Italian ancestry with regions associated with rudeness. Boston. Providence. New York. Philly. Northern Jersey. Chicago too.

You know as well as I do how little pesky things like facts and charts and graphs mean to people getting upset on the internet.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Statistically speaking, people from New York are basically Tony Manero from the movie Saturday Night Fever.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Jastiger posted:

You know as well as I do how little pesky things like facts and charts and graphs mean to people getting upset on the internet.

I don't think any of the mods are Italian, so we should be safe here.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

redshirt posted:

Just speaking facts. Look up a demographic map of the USA and you can pretty much equate areas of high Italian ancestry with regions associated with rudeness. Boston. Providence. New York. Philly. Northern Jersey. Chicago too.

how many italians are in new hampshire, because i am native to the northeast and new hampshire was the only place that was actually full of people who can be described as rude i've ever been.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Cubey posted:

how many italians are in new hampshire, because i am native to the northeast and new hampshire was the only place that was actually full of people who can be described as rude i've ever been.

i think it's more that they don't like outsiders. ie, people from new york city coming to their state for summer vacation.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cubey posted:

What part of NH? On the Mass border or out of the Boston metro region?

I bet it was close to the Mass border. Regular New Hampshire people are just like people from Vermont and Maine. It's the Massholes living just over the border that bring the rudeness.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
I've found that most of Pennsylvania is full of nice people. Rural Illinois is full of farmers, and they're delighted to talk to people from the west coast- and find out that we aren't all California pricks. :shrug:

Anywhere north of Pennsylvania is trash, though. Pure unrecyclable trash.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cubey posted:

Also, there is a puritanical rudeness endemic to the northeast, but it's different than the Italian rudeness. It's more of a distrust of outsiders or anything that goes against local norms.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
This is a racism free forum please stop this blatant racism thank you.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

redshirt posted:

I bet it was close to the Mass border. Regular New Hampshire people are just like people from Vermont and Maine. It's the Massholes living just over the border that bring the rudeness.

we were in the white mountains near franconia notch, so no

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cubey posted:

we were in the white mountains near franconia notch, so no

So puritan rudeness. Flinty Scots-Irish descendents who hate outsiders.

Gonna ask a harsh question: Can you pass as Scots-Irish?

I've encountered the same rudeness in super rural areas of Maine. They just don't trust anyone they don't know.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

redshirt posted:

So puritan rudeness. Flinty Scots-Irish descendents who hate outsiders.

Gonna ask a harsh question: Can you pass as Scots-Irish?

I've encountered the same rudeness in super rural areas of Maine. They just don't trust anyone they don't know.

i am literally a direct descendant of mary, queen of scots, so you tell me

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cubey posted:

You must look suspicious then.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Cubey posted:

So you are a ginger hipster who is prematurely balding who resides in Portland.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Flo Cytometer posted:

I've found that most of Pennsylvania is full of nice people. Rural Illinois is full of farmers, and they're delighted to talk to people from the west coast- and find out that we aren't all California pricks. :shrug:

Anywhere north of Pennsylvania is trash, though. Pure unrecyclable trash.

Dang hardcore.
I find the closer you get to Mass, the more brusque they are, but less overtly rude. I can deal with brusque.

redshirt posted:

Also, there is a puritanical rudeness endemic to the northeast, but it's different than the Italian rudeness. It's more of a distrust of outsiders or anything that goes against local norms.

I feel like its more this than anything having to do with Italians or whatever, though I get that from that demographic from time to time.

Its more like they call me for something (I sell insurance) and then they get mad at me for not knowing their stuff already. "Whatsa matter, you don't already know this?! I gotta give you this? Gimme a break, this is ridiculous"...then they go ahead and give me the information. They gotta put on this show on how much I'm putting them out to do this, then they acquiesce. Why even do that? I've had them outright insult me and call me and my company all these bad names, then go on to act like we just chatted about last nights football game or whatever. As if this was normal.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

redshirt posted:

lol no I live in nh, comparatively we're assholes although less brusque than non-Northern New England.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Flo Cytometer posted:

So you are a ginger hipster who is prematurely balding who resides in Portland.

nobody on either side of my family has baldness, i have very long dark blonde hair and live in the part of oregon that nobody should ever willingly move to for any reason

i might be a hipster though?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

lol no I live in nh, comparatively we're assholes although less brusque than non-Northern New England.

I challenge you to articulate any differences between the peoples of Northern Vermont, NH, and the northwestern Maine border. They're all the same.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cubey posted:

nobody on either side of my family has baldness, i have very long dark blonde hair and live in the part of oregon that nobody should ever willingly move to for any reason

Long hairs are suspicious.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

redshirt posted:

I challenge you to articulate any differences between the peoples of Northern Vermont, NH, and the northwestern Maine border. They're all the same.

perople from vermont are too loving high to give a poo poo about anything

source: i used to live in rutland

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cubey posted:

perople from vermont are too loving high to give a poo poo about anything

source: i used to live in rutland

And people in Franconia don't smoke weed and engage in a general under employed lifestyle?

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Frankenstyle posted:

We're not rude. We're just constantly dealing with how slow and stupid everyone else is, and it gets tiresome.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Cubey posted:

Well are you, or not? This is important.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

redshirt posted:

And people in Franconia don't smoke weed and engage in a general under employed lifestyle?

from my experience, no, they probably don't smoke weed, otherwise they wouldn't be such assholes.

Flo Cytometer posted:

Well are you, or not? This is important.

i dated one once so i might be guilty of hipster in the second degree. it'd be more accurate to just call me a goony nerd though.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

redshirt posted:

It's visible across the board. If you compare social policies, Vermont and Maine tend to have more good-natured social policies, Vermont more than Maine as they have more money per capita. That divide in policy makes its way through to how people act in their day-to-day lives. For a real world example, get in a car and drive the speed limit in NH, VT, and ME and compare how drivers act. In NH, the other drivers are likely to pass somewhat aggressively at their earliest convenience. The Maine driver will pass when it's safe at a respectable speed if it's good weather. The Vermont driver will maintain a safe distance and not pass because why would they, you're going the posted speed. States in New England just have more individual personality, and there are broad differences you quickly notice when you're in one state versus another.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Anyone who hails from any part of Maine that isn't the coastal bit up to Bar Harbor is literally inbred.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Cubey posted:

i dated one once so i might be guilty of hipster in the second degree. it'd be more accurate to just call me a goony nerd though.

Uh.. whats the difference despite having some idea in (poor) fashion sense?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

It's visible across the board. If you compare social policies, Vermont and Maine tend to have more good-natured social policies, Vermont more than Maine as they have more money per capita. That divide in policy makes its way through to how people act in their day-to-day lives. For a real world example, get in a car and drive the speed limit in NH, VT, and ME and compare how drivers act. In NH, the other drivers are likely to pass somewhat aggressively at their earliest convenience. The Maine driver will pass when it's safe at a respectable speed if it's good weather. The Vermont driver will maintain a safe distance and not pass because why would they, you're going the posted speed. States in New England just have more individual personality, and there are broad differences you quickly notice when you're in one state versus another.

It's true gently caress people not driving 10mph faster than the posted speed limit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

If you're talking southern NH on the mass border, I agree. But are people in Gorham, NH, for example, really different than people in Saint Johnsbury VT or Bethel Me?

Certainly the states as a whole have different mindsets, with NH being a big anomaly to the rest of New England.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Also Keene, NH has all the free stater libertarian crazy folk.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

redshirt posted:

If you're talking southern NH on the mass border, I agree. But are people in Gorham, NH, for example, really different than people in Saint Johnsbury VT or Bethel Me?

Certainly the states as a whole have different mindsets, with NH being a big anomaly to the rest of New England.

People around St. J and rural northern nh, sure they're nicer than in southern nh but the population isn't even 100k in the entire north country vs. 100k+ in the Nashua area alone. So no there's not much difference between rural Maine / Vermont and rural New Hampshire if you're out in the countryside.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

doomisland posted:

It's true gently caress people not driving 10mph faster than the posted speed limit.

massachusetts drivers do like 30 over the speed limit in mass but then when they get into new york they do 10 under and it made me insane getting stuck behind them

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

CT drivers are the worse as well as the entire state of CT.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

doomisland posted:

If you aren't at least 25 over on a Penn turnpike, you are gonna get run over.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Flo Cytometer posted:

this is also true of the entirety of I-90 in both mass and new york.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

redshirt posted:

doesn't really account for DC tho

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Flo Cytometer posted:

In Connecticut they drive 5 under in the passing lane and never move over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

It's freaking lovely here today by the way, I'm going outside you should too if it's nice

• Locked thread