Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Halah posted:

It's called efficiency. If someone stops you and asks "Excuse me, I was wondering if you could tell me how to get to 123 Vine Street?" that's a waste of words and time when "Excuse me, 123 Vine Street?" cuts through the bullshit. It doesn't seem like a lot, but you've heard the saying "a penny saved is a penny earned."

Because, "What's it to ya, fuckface?" is much more efficient than, "Turn left at the next block."

I now understand why so many new englanders want gun control.... probably a lot of them are getting shot during dickhead season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Broken Machine posted:

People around St. J and rural northern nh, sure they're nicer than in southern nh but the population isn't even 100k in the entire north country vs. 100k+ in the Nashua area alone. So no there's not much difference between rural Maine / Vermont and rural New Hampshire if you're out in the countryside.

That's all I'm saying. The rudeness of NH (and southern Maine FYI) is directly proportional to the influence of Mass. And Mass is rude because of the number of Italians. So it all goes back to Italians.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Cubey posted:

massachusetts drivers do like 30 over the speed limit in mass but then when they get into new york they do 10 under and it made me insane getting stuck behind them

no one wants to get bagged speeding in another state

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

It's freaking lovely here today by the way, I'm going outside you should too if it's nice

Finally! We had two straight weeks of overcast skies with little rain and the weather coming from the Northeast.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Cubey posted:

this is also true of the entirety of I-90 in both mass and new york.

I remember that about Mass. Didn't go as far east as NY in the last trip (2012 lol).

doomisland posted:

In Connecticut they drive 5 under in the passing lane and never move over.

That used to be the same for Idaho.. now they drive as bad as east coasters.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

carrion kit posted:

no one wants to get bagged speeding in another state

then maybe eastern mass peeps shouldn't get jobs in the ny capital region

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Cubey posted:

then maybe eastern mass peeps shouldn't get jobs in the ny capital region

did you mean western? who the gently caress would commute by car from eastern mass to NYC, that would be insane

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

GORDON posted:

Because, "What's it to ya, fuckface?" is much more efficient than, "Turn left at the next block."

I now understand why so many new englanders want gun control.... probably a lot of them are getting shot during dickhead season.

actually the gun fanatics keep to themselves in the woods and there's a deeper cultural understanding of the fact that they're murder machines and not the freedom devices the rest of the country seems to regard them as

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

carrion kit posted:

did you mean western? who the gently caress would commute by car from eastern mass to NYC, that would be insane

lol.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Flo Cytometer posted:

I remember that about Mass. Didn't go as far north as NY in the last trip (2012 lol).

the insanity of i-90 ramps up exponentially when you get to the area where it intersects with 87. i bet if most people from here in oregon tried driving that stretch of 90 they would end up extremely dead.

carrion kit posted:

yeah i did mean western, hurf

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The truly rudest people in New England are the Downeasters of Maine - essentially Belfast north along the coast.

The saltiest rural fucks you'll ever encounter. But they don't make a lot of noise, so it's cool. Unlike Italians.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno people in Maine are usually pretty chill. Same with Vermont actually.

I find it different with the proximity to MA though. They are brusque, but not rude.

I still gotta peg New York, particularly the NYC area as rude as hell, though. Maryland can be pretty rough as well as parts of CT.

Ya'll just need a chill pill.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Mozi posted:

hey what's it fuckin to ya, rear end in a top hat

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Here's a tip for op-likes. If somebody bothers to take the time to correct you on some poo poo (esp. If you asked for help,) at the end of the interaction say "thanks" instead of "I'm sorry. " You'll get two good things out of it:

1) you'll look like a grown-rear end person who just got some advice instead of a self-absorbed bitch who just got punished

2) it makes it a positive interaction instead of a negative one, so you don't have to get all obsessed about it and post threads and poo poo

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
i dont like people from the south. they smell.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have lived in both Boston and Kansas City and, honestly, I prefer the level of "rudeness" in the Northeast to the civility of the Midwest. I grew up in New England and I never thought of anyone there as particularly rude per-say, but there is definitely a low tolerance in the NE for small talk with strangers/people you aren't already friends with. I guess it is easy to see that as rudeness if you are from out of town.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I want a happy medium. I want none of the bull poo poo small talk. I HATE small talk. But I also want none of the overt rudeness. It costs nothing to be polite or kind to a stranger, but that doesn't mean you gotta bend over backwards for them in every interaction.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Because we are better than you provincial.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jastiger posted:

I want a happy medium. I want none of the bull poo poo small talk. I HATE small talk. But I also want none of the overt rudeness. It costs nothing to be polite or kind to a stranger, but that doesn't mean you gotta bend over backwards for them in every interaction.

Talk about the weather. It's usually a non-offensive topic that everyone can generally get along talking about. But don't bring up climate change for god's sake!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jastiger posted:

Oh, I am with you 100%! I'd say that I rarely encountered people that were overtly rude in any given day, but there is for sure I higher ratio of rude people in the NE to the Midwest. Police and people employed by public transportation (like those involved with buses or subway) in particular. Though who can blame them, I'd probably be the same way if I had to deal with those "customers" day in and day out.

That said, I am glad that I'm raising my family in the Midwest for multiple reasons - living around strangers who are generally nicer (if only on the outside) being one of them!

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

Cubey posted:

the insanity of i-90 ramps up exponentially when you get to the area where it intersects with 87. i bet if most people from here in oregon tried driving that stretch of 90 they would end up extremely dead.

Truth. See also: I-90 and 787.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Frankenstyle posted:

We're not rude. We're just constantly dealing with how slow and stupid everyone else is, and it gets tiresome.

They actually believe poo poo like this.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
So as a south western, would I get murdered in the NE for asking directions?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

as a texan, I have worked with a lot of yankees that have moved down here from the northeast. most people think they're rude as gently caress.

I had a manager from NYC and everyone hated hated her, but her and I got along really well because she was brusque and I don't like talking to people

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Edgar posted:

So as a south western, would I get murdered in the NE for asking directions?

You're dead as soon as you make eye contact.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

Talk about the weather. It's usually a non-offensive topic that everyone can generally get along talking about. But don't bring up climate change for god's sake!

No, gently caress that. I told you I hate small talk. I'll talk about the weather if its an event, like I"d talk to people in Buffalo after that massive blizzard. That makes sense. Its actually a conversation that can go somewhere. I'm not some chuckle head that is gonna go on about "golly gee it sure is nice today". I take damage when I do that.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Oh, I am with you 100%! I'd say that I rarely encountered people that were overtly rude in any given day, but there is for sure I higher ratio of rude people in the NE to the Midwest. Police and people employed by public transportation (like those involved with buses or subway) in particular. Though who can blame them, I'd probably be the same way if I had to deal with those "customers" day in and day out.

That said, I am glad that I'm raising my family in the Midwest for multiple reasons - living around strangers who are generally nicer (if only on the outside) being one of them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9PSg0sQyfs

I can sympathize with your point of view forever, and I think this video is right on. Its not that you have to be an over joyous zealot in all interactions, but you don't have to be a total dick about everything.

I'm just saying in the NE it seems to cross over from casual non nonchalant passivity and into actively rude to people for no reason other than that is how you treat people there apparently.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Rambling Robot posted:

i dont like people from the south. they smell.

I don't mind the smell. I just hate the way they all mumble-speak like they're chewing on a mouthfull of cornbread and consonants.

Miltank posted:

They actually believe poo poo like this.

It's like gravity. It may not be a universal constant, but for everyday purposes it's safe to assume it is.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You have to be tough in the NE, don't move to the west cause because it will make you soft without things like lovely weather.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you are not from the Northeast you are a dimwitted stranger and none of our social laws protect you, so I may treat you as I please bitch.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
OP is a butt hurt midwesterner. New Yorkers love giving directions and give them well and cordially. If they're being rude to you , then you're probably being a dumb hick in some capacity. As for speaking fast.... well, when you're the world's city w/ all the power and wealth, being a slow, slack-jaw, talker will not help that. Boston can go to hell.

Saucy Slit fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 3, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frankenstyle posted:

We're not rude. We're just constantly dealing with how slow and stupid everyone else is, and it gets tiresome.

I actually get this viewpoint but at the same time I refuse to believe that you people are somehow really that much smarter on average than anyone else so it can't apply to the NE as a general population.

You're all just pissed you live in the NE imo. like didn't you just get 50 feet of snow dumped on you or some poo poo? I'd be pissed off all the time too.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Saucy Slit posted:

OP is a butt hurt midwesterner. New Yorkers love giving directions and give them well and cordially. If they're being rude to you , then you're probably being a dumb hick in some capacity. As for speaking fast.... well, when you're the world's city w/ all the power and wealth, being a slow, slack-jaw, talker will not help that. Boston can go to hell.

I actually speak quite quickly and have to slow down for many people, especially Southerners. Doesn't mean you gotta be a jerk about it.

However there may be one demographic that is WORSE than the New Englanders but I won't post it here because it could be construed as racist. Unless pressed ~forums drama~

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The worst class and race of people are fresh off the boat Indians. They are the bane of retail employees everywhere.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

we had to send a lower level manager from new york to an etiquette class under threat of termination because he just couldnt manage to speak to another human without a raised voice or saying gently caress a lot

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The worst class and race of people are fresh off the boat Indians. They are the bane of retail employees everywhere.

Wasn't talking about Indians but they can be super rough customers it is true. Cultural differences and all.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Jastiger posted:

As has been established,

Has this been established? I feel like it hasn't, and you're being rude for insisting that it has.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
people from the northeast are rude because they have an air of unearned superiority because of their location

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Gaunab posted:

people from the northeast are rude because they have an air of unearned superiority because of their location

Unearned? Gettysburg, bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Saucy Slit posted:

New Yorkers love giving directions and give them well and cordially.

yeah, New Yorkers basically just sit around all day just waiting for someone to ask directions so they can show off.

• Locked thread