Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
its technically not legal but the mayor doesnt enforce the law and has come out and said that space savers are ok

its supposed to be for 48 hours after a snow emergency and no more

there was just too much goddamn snow this winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I live in nyc and the clear answer is: don't own a loving car in new york city unless you're deep in a borough with ample street and driveway parking.

Or if you're a literal mult-millionaire who can afford to reserve a spot in a garage and/or a professional driver.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I remember some mobster's property got auctioned off and his outdoor unprotected parking spot in Charlestown went for like 150K.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Or if you're a literal mult-millionaire who can afford to reserve a spot in a garage and/or a professional driver.

I remember reading a article about single Boston off street parking spot selling for $600k.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

etalian posted:

I remember reading a article about a single Boston off street parking spot selling for $600k.

Inflation!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

etalian posted:

I remember reading a article about a single Boston off street parking spot selling for $600k.

When I said "literal multi-millionaire" I meant in the dozens.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

In my last nice apartment in Boston, the cost of a private parking spot was 300$ a month.

No thanks.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
in my experience northerners of any country tend to be backwards and rude hth

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

etalian posted:

I remember reading a article about single Boston off street parking spot selling for $600k.

it was 2 spots actually

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think this plays into the rudeness thing. When literal parking spots are worth more than houses, every single dollar you spend has to seem like a drop of a virgins blood or some poo poo.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Jastiger posted:

I think this plays into the rudeness thing. When literal parking spots are worth more than houses, every single dollar you spend has to seem like a drop of a virgins blood or some poo poo.

oh no, i assure you the 'houses' in that area are worth considerably more than those parking spots. $600k does not get you a ton of house anywhere near the boston area really

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Yeah, think about having to drive around after work, looking for a precious free parking spot.

Around and around and around the block, hoping...

Everyone becomes an enemy. It's bloodsport.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Northeastern folk aren't as gullible as most impoverished regions in paying bullshit fees for scam services thrown in to whatever garbage you're pushing from your fat stupid Midwestern call center. People treat you like you're an rear end in a top hat for a reason bro. It got nothing to do with their city or street. Learn some respect and get some class.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bullshit scams like "taxes" and "snow removal" and "sensible rent controls".

Respect to a North Easterner is like they expect a blowjob with every interaction. Anything less is a slight and they'll get their bruddah to come gently caress you up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Bullshit scams like "taxes" and "snow removal" and "sensible rent controls".

Respect to a North Easterner is like they expect a blowjob with every interaction. Anything less is a slight and they'll get their bruddah to come gently caress you up.

They have no personal space either. They'll literally get in your face and they don't even think they're being rude.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

They have no personal space either. They'll literally get in your face and they don't even think they're being rude.

I've actually heard of this. Im' glad I talk to them over the phone.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
this doesn't happen if you arent a 5'5 manlet little bitch btw, to the point where i wasnt even aware it was a cliche

but you are definitely a little bitch since you literally cant even handle talking to somebody that isnt an inbred hick over the phone

you should be ashamed

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jastiger posted:

This isn't far off actually. It gets a bit better in the suburbs but in cities like Boston and NYC they're utterly convinced they're masters of the universe or are so upset playing servant to those who do that they get pissed the instant someone reminds them that in the rest of the world you don't actually need to live like that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

if you live somewhere that you need to shovel snow then gently caress you i guess

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

It wouldn't be a problem but sometime in the last 15 years they all started moving south and ruining our chill friendly southern city's.

Also what the gently caress is their malfunction with deli meats?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Jimlit posted:

It wouldn't be a problem but sometime in the last 15 years they all started moving south and ruining our chill friendly southern city's.

Also what the gently caress is their malfunction with deli meats?

You mean meat that is a grade above canned spam with ketchup on sliced white bread? Have a Reuben on rye from NYC or Jersey and try again.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

You mean meat that is a grade above canned spam with ketchup on sliced white bread? Have a Reuben on rye from NYC or Jersey and try again.

No offence man but its same poo poo everywhere. Same thing with pizza.

And before you say it, the water has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

This isn't far off actually. It gets a bit better in the suburbs but in cities like Boston and NYC they're utterly convinced they're masters of the universe or are so upset playing servant to those who do that they get pissed the instant someone reminds them that in the rest of the world you don't actually need to live like that.

Maybe its the population density and they rub shoulders with people so much that class discrepancies are a big thing there, so everyone has a constant chip on their shoulder.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Maybe its the population density and they rub shoulders with people so much that class discrepancies are a big thing there, so everyone has a constant chip on their shoulder.

Tight space + Italians = Rudeness.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I don't mind all that much when someone steals a spot I shoveled out, because I think it's funny burying the gently caress out of their car while I clear a fresh spot. I've never put out out a placeholder because it just feels cheesy.

Plus neighbors that might not help each other dig out their own cars are often eager to help if they see you're hiding some other assholes car in a drift.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Frankenstyle posted:

We're not rude. We're just constantly dealing with how slow and stupid everyone else is, and it gets tiresome.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Is it Boston that gives Mass the bad take? Everyone I talk to there is nice, but Boston people seem like major assholes in the media. Is that true?

Lived in Boston for 4 years. When I went to NYC I was shocked at how sociable and chatty the people were. At the very least, they would make eye contact when telling you to go to gently caress yourself.

"How's it going," is a common greeting in America. I grew up in the rural south where they mean it and will go into explicit detail about their autobiography.
I eventually learned it was just a social nicety up north and you just say, "Fine" and move on with with your life.
A German friend who's husband was stationed in the south couldn't stand it because she thought it was fake and intrusive. She loves Washington D.C. because the only people who care about polite human interaction there are lobbyists.

cool tree bro posted:

kill all carpetbaggers
Quite loving true. Especially all the Californians that have made my city unaffordable to live.

kant
May 12, 2003

Frankenstyle posted:

We're not rude. We're just constantly dealing with how slow and stupid everyone else is, and it gets tiresome.

This thread proves the above statement. Just look how long it's taking some of you people to understand that we're not rude? How slow can you be? Seriously.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jimlit posted:

This is so very wrong. Even when I moved to Boston which is very close to NYC/NJ I was shocked at how much worse the average sandwich/pizza/bagel was. There are loads of good restaurants out there everywhere but the average in NYC/NJ really is better.

Jastiger posted:

A bit of that, yeah. Odds are very good that if you want to do anything, even if it's in your backyard, that you're going to have to deal with a lot of strangers and see a lot of people doing much better than you.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jimlit posted:

Other places like SF do pizza better than NYC.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
People from New York City are rude assholes who think the world revolves around them and that nothing exists outside of New York City. But not everyone from the North East is like that. People from upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lol.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Southern goon living in the Northeast here, it's either A. They're NYC assholes or B. They're wannabe NYC assholes. People who don't fall into that category are halfway decent and/or hicks.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Other places like SF do pizza better than NYC.

Yeah, Zacharies in Oakland makes the best pizza in the US

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
Yankees ah wicked fucken cunts

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah, Zacharies in Oakland makes the best pizza in the US

This post is ironic right because that looks like garbage pie for homeless people

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Savings Coupon posted:

This post is ironic right because that looks like garbage pie for homeless people

youre a literal retard if that post wasnt ironic

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
no it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
it looks like a literal pie with tomato filling

• Locked thread