Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah, Zacharies in Oakland makes the best pizza in the US

idk, zacharies is ok. maybe the one in oakland is better but the one in solano ave is meh. capos in SF was way better for a deep dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Xaris posted:

idk, zacharies is ok. maybe the one in oakland is better but the one in solano ave is meh. capos in SF was way better for a deep dish.

Capos is good but zacharies has better ingredients. Also rockridge is in fact better than solano.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Simstim posted:

it looks like a literal pie with tomato filling

Typical for cuisine outside of the NYC metro. Flaky wafer crusts with unseasoned colored goop that you spoon into your gaping maw between Bud Lights, shipped out in bulk from some fat food factory churning out this crap premade.

Italian-American bakers, Jewish deli owners, dozens of small independent fiercely competitive pizzerias or bagel shops in every neighborhood, this stuff doesn't exist outside of north Jersey and non poo poo NYC. The expectation of excellence is an unspoken custom in food or the bad word of mouth by entitled arrogant blowhard locals will tank your business within weeks.

People don't even know what pizza is in this thread. Least you don't know what you're missing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
your pizza is terrible and every minute i spend outside of the NYC metro area I start breaking out in hives. gently caress you, rest of the world.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Like op I sell insurance but I'm in ct so clearly im an expert

Nothing worse than dealing with someone from Midwest or south. Interactions that should take 2 minutes are stretched to 5x as long Sometimes because they use too many words but mostly because they talk so Goddamn slow

Im dyin over here hurry it up

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
There's a certain novelty & charm in the polite conversation people in the south will try to engage you in in public but dealing with that every day? Shut the gently caress up and leave me alone

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That "pizza" looks absolutely disgusting. It looks like a 7 year old heard what a pizza is and just started putting everything into a crust and then threw it in an oven.

That is supposedly "good"?

Trufax about the Southern convo taking forever. I don't get it a lot in the Midwest, but its true that a conversation that ought to take 5 minutes takes like 15 because they want to drop their life story or talk about the latest happenings.

Actually I take that back, North Eastern calls can take a while too, but its not because they are overly polite. Its usually because they are bitching about something and go on and on and on about how right they are and how wrong everyone else is. Like I mentioned before, half of being friends with NYCers isn't being nice to them or having anything in common, but rather being mean about something or someone else. Its really strange.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

No, that is some sort of tomato casserole made by earnest yet primitive folk who have yet to unlock the mysteries of how to make the ever elusive Pizza.

Keep reaching for the stars.

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Frankenstyle posted:

No, that is some sort of tomato casserole made by earnest yet primitive folk who have yet to unlock the mysteries of how to make the ever elusive Pizza.

Morkies posted:

youre a literal retard if that post wasnt ironic

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Frankenstyle posted:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I really tried to like chicago buts it so loving trash and cold.

shiftless
May 18, 2005

Since when did correcting someone become rude? They don't want you to look retarded all the time. It's actually polite but some are too slow to figure it out.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Who are these people in the south that are talking you guys ears off?

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

shiftless posted:

Since when did correcting someone become rude? They don't want you to look retarded all the time. It's actually polite but some are too slow to figure it out.

typical northeasterner: thinking that mispronouncing the name of a random street in nyc will make someone look like retard 'all the time'

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

As has been established, I speak with people from all over the country on a daily basis and while I sometimes struggle with accents, what I struggle with more are people that have accents and/or are hard to understand and are also rude about it. Surprisingly the South isn't the worst offender here (rudeness), its those goddam Yankee's in the North East. Mispronounce one of their vowel-laden cities? They get mad. Don't immediately know the difference from "214 Fifth Street" (said really fast) and "204 Six Street" when it was really 294 Fifteenth Street all along! Slow that poo poo down, we don't all have to live at 1000 mph at all times.

Then we get into the different boroughs and districts and West City this and East City That, as if its painfully obvious for everyone that Deer Park is WAY different than Brentwood. They are literally on top of each other on a map, how is a non New Yorker supposed to know the difference between these districts when all that separates them is a single street and you literally live on that street. These people get actually OFFENDED if you don't know this. Never have I encountered such hostility over something so trivial, and its almost always New Yorkers on or around Long Island. Upstate New Yorkers are usually pretty chill bros.

But a lot of North Easterners seem to have this idea that everyone is out to get them or somehow short change them. Its never a price or cost for a good or service, but a way for The Man to squeeze them for all their worth. I've had people argue with me over having to pay registration fees on their vehicles in places like Connecticut and New Hampshire since they "Don't drive it that much anyways, and they drive into Massachusetts so why should New Hampshire get my money?! These freakin' guys, I tell ya". I mean no one likes paying all their taxes and fees and stuff, but these guys take it to a new level.

Is it the saturation of Dunkin Donuts up there? Stop and Shop? Baseball fandom? Are people really out to get people in a predatory way in the North East and that is just a way of life? What causes people to be so freakin' mean to people they don't know in that part of the country? I mean where I'm from(What is widely considered to be the best city in the Midwest you don't have to like everyone, but you aren't overtly RUDE to them for no reason. Nor do you expect them to know everything about you and your situation without talking to them.

lol is there any region of the us you dont hate

Lindy Hopscotch
Mar 30, 2010

You know the story about the scorpion and the frog?

Frankenstyle posted:

We're not rude. We're just constantly dealing with how slow and stupid everyone else is, and it gets tiresome.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Morkies posted:

no, as it turns out the OP is just socially inept

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Morkies posted:

As noted in the OP, Des Moines is pretty much the mecca of the US and certainly of the US.

I talk to people all across the US every day, and this is just a kind of aggregate point of view I've developed over a year and a half.

People in the South are pretty long winded and sometimes rude.

People in the North East are mega rude and treat every interaction like someone is out to get them at every turn. They also have a strong ingroup/outgroup bias it seems.

Its kind of a tie though between most rude. Its either North Easterners or anyone in a major city except maybe Atlanta. NYC takes the King Rude cake, but Indianapolis, Philadelphia, loving DETROIT, people are rude as hell the larger city they are in.

But yeah North Easteners take it as a personal offense if you aren't capable of precognition on their situation.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Holy poo poo I love living in the Midwest.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you eat deep dish pizza you're a degenerate rear end in a top hat.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jastiger posted:

As noted in the OP, Des Moines is pretty much the mecca of the US and certainly of the US.

I talk to people all across the US every day, and this is just a kind of aggregate point of view I've developed over a year and a half.

People in the South are pretty long winded and sometimes rude.

People in the North East are mega rude and treat every interaction like someone is out to get them at every turn. They also have a strong ingroup/outgroup bias it seems.

Its kind of a tie though between most rude. Its either North Easterners or anyone in a major city except maybe Atlanta. NYC takes the King Rude cake, but Indianapolis, Philadelphia, loving DETROIT, people are rude as hell the larger city they are in.

But yeah North Easteners take it as a personal offense if you aren't capable of precognition on their situation.

Des Moines, Indiana or whatever the gently caress is the punchline of every joke involving loving a cow, then your sister, then living the rest of your life in a lovely corn farm with no dental health services you hick gently caress.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records
God squatted over Virginia and out shat the northeast....a poo poo hole, from a poo poo hole.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Buschmaki posted:

Des Moines, Indiana or whatever the gently caress is the punchline of every joke involving loving a cow, then your sister, then living the rest of your life in a lovely corn farm with no dental health services you hick gently caress.

Lol As Des Moines is the largest insurance city in the United States and has some of the lowest unemployment in the country.

A swing and a miss.

Also why do Southerners put more syllables in words than there are? Nine becomes two syllables. So does ten. What gives? Why are they teaching that in school, its objectively incorrect pronunciation of an English word.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
As a Northeasterner, born and bred, the Northeast sucks. As does the South. As does the Midwest.

The only good place in America is California.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
North East Coast people are Brit lite; they lost all the good parts of UK culture, but hung onto the aggressive miserabilism and loathing for anyone who appears to be enjoying their lives and relationships with other humans.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Deep dish pizza isn't pizza it's a quiche, I'm sorry Chicago, but you can't fix your gently caress up by calling it something else.

Also gently caress NYCers who move out of the city and into the tristate area. All you do is bitch and moan about how the water and the dough are special and how things were done different in Brooklyn. Well guess what, you're not in Brooklyn and we know it's because your five dollar rear end couldn't make it there and you couldnt handle being just another face in the crowd.

Best game to play while visiting Manhattan is count how many seconds until a car horn goes off. I hear if you make it past a minute Mayor de Blasio comes down and shakes your hand for finding the one quiet spot on the island.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Indubitable Leg posted:

Deep dish pizza isn't pizza it's a quiche, I'm sorry Chicago, but you can't fix your gently caress up by calling it something else.

Also gently caress NYCers who move out of the city and into the tristate area. All you do is bitch and moan about how the water and the dough are special and how things were done different in Brooklyn. Well guess what, you're not in Brooklyn and we know it's because your five dollar rear end couldn't make it there and you couldnt handle being just another face in the crowd.

Best game to play while visiting Manhattan is count how many seconds until a car horn goes off. I hear if you make it past a minute Mayor de Blasio comes down and shakes your hand for finding the one quiet spot on the island.

Deep Dish is for tourists. You load them up with cheese casserole and then roll them into taxis while they're too sluggish to fight back. The taxis take them to the north suburbs where they serve our lords and masters as slaves in their palatial mcmansions.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The noise thing is true. I get people calling me in NYC and I swear they are in times square, and ny drivers have to press a button for their horn NOT to go off. I think I've used my horn while driving like......three times in 10 years. Maybe not call me during rush hour while standing outside or driving like a maniac.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jastiger posted:

Lol As Des Moines is the largest insurance city in the United States and has some of the lowest unemployment in the country.

"Lol I'm a big bitch who needs to stay in Des Moines to insure my rear end isn't tenderized by rude people in the Northeast"

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
"I also have the lowest sex rate in the country"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Buschmaki posted:

"Lol I'm a big bitch who needs to stay in Des Moines to insure my rear end isn't tenderized by rude people in the Northeast"

That is the difference. North Easterners will literally fight to the death over a parking spot. Iowans (and much of the rest of the Good States) know that kind of poo poo is beneath them, and only draw when actually provoked.

Its like this at 1:13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skuislpe7Fc

except replace "white" with "Not a bitch made rude rear end New Yorker"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
People in DC are somehow chill. How can you be more chill in DC than people in fuckin' NYC?!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've done a lot of phone work over the years, and my experience differs from yours.

Most of the Northeast is fine to deal with, and I'm fine with New Yorkers. Rapid-fire speech is much better than rambling drawls, as far as I'm concerned.

Worst places to deal with were Maryland, Florida, and Louisiana, mostly. Rude, entitled, and generally stupid people. Utah is also pretty stupid, but at least they are generally pretty docile and well-meaning.

Also, pretty much the whole of Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh must be some special kind of hell. I hated dealing with anyone from there.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've done a lot of phone work over the years, and my experience differs from yours.

Most of the Northeast is fine to deal with, and I'm fine with New Yorkers. Rapid-fire speech is much better than rambling drawls, as far as I'm concerned.

Worst places to deal with were Maryland, Florida, and Louisiana, mostly. Rude, entitled, and generally stupid people. Utah is also pretty stupid, but at least they are generally pretty docile and well-meaning.

Also, pretty much the whole of Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh must be some special kind of hell. I hated dealing with anyone from there.

I don't operate in Florida or Louisiana. I hear similar things about Lousiana. For me the Middle Hell state is Kentucky. Anywhere outside Louisville and they are terrible except maaaayybe Knoxville.

PA I usually have better success with.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

My Q-Face posted:

Has this been established? I feel like it hasn't, and you're being rude for insisting that it has.

Jastiger always says this in threads, as if he heads some roundtable of important goon discussion every week. dude has a kid and spends his time making huge effort posts on SA about regional differences in the us and then gets super mad about the south/mlm/guns/rethuglicans whatever else goons are outraged about this week instead of spending quality time with his own flesh and blood lamo.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Jastiger posted:

I don't operate in Florida or Louisiana. I hear similar things about Lousiana. For me the Middle Hell state is Kentucky. Anywhere outside Louisville and they are terrible except maaaayybe Knoxville.

PA I usually have better success with.

PA outside of Philly and Pittsburgh is basically just more of West Virginia, only flatter.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Starving Autist posted:

PA outside of Philly and Pittsburgh is basically just more of West Virginia, only flatter.

I've heard Pennsylvania described (by a former resident of the state) as being composed of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, with Arkansas between them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mysterious frankie posted:

North East Coast people are Brit lite; they lost all the good parts of UK culture, but hung onto the aggressive miserabilism and loathing for anyone who appears to be enjoying their lives and relationships with other humans.

there's good parts of UK culture?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

opus111 posted:

Jastiger always says this in threads, as if he heads some roundtable of important goon discussion every week. dude has a kid and spends his time making huge effort posts on SA about regional differences in the us and then gets super mad about the south/mlm/guns/rethuglicans whatever else goons are outraged about this week instead of spending quality time with his own flesh and blood lamo.

My daughter is more cultured than this bad poster.

Starving Autist posted:

Some parts of it are alright. The parts that are old coal country and stuff are pretty depressed and you know you're in for a bad time if they call. Otherwise if its a regular mid sized town it can be OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've heard Pennsylvania described (by a former resident of the state) as being composed of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, with Arkansas between them.

its actually called pennsyltucky so your friend might be lying about his past.

• Locked thread