Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

In December 2011, Bioware launched Star Wars: The Old Republic, an MMORPG based on it's successful Knights of the Old Republic franchise. It had its problems at launch; a lot of them. But, over time, the game has evolved, changed, and gotten much more fun to play. With the addition of two expansions, it got even better.

In August 2012, I launched a Let's Play of Star Wars: The Old Republic. It had its problems at launch; a lot of them. But, over time, the thread evolved, changed, and got much more enjoyable to read. With the addition of other LPers taking different sections of the game, it got even better.

First, a brief introduction, taken from the original thread:

quote:

Star Wars: The Old Republic, is an MMORPG developed by Bioware and released in December 2011. It takes place roughly 300 years after the original Knights of the Old Republic and 3,500 years before Episode 4. It is unique among MMO's in that it attempts to tell an RPG-like story throughout the game. Almost all quest givers are voice-acted and there are cut scenes, companions, all that good RPG stuff. The game is Free 2 Play, but the perks for subscribing are so many that it's pretty much required you at least make buy something to get yourself preferred status.

The Story So Far:

After the Great Hyperspace War, the Sith Empire was destroyed by the Republic and Jedi. One group of Imperial survivors fled to a distant corner of the galaxy, landing on the planet Dromund Kaas. There, the Sith Lord Vitiate proclaimed himself the new Emperor and devoted his people to reclaiming what they had lost.

A couple thousand years later, after the Mandalorian Wars, two Jedi named Revan and Malak stumbled across Dromand Kaas while pursuing the retreating Mandalorian. They met the Emperor (Vitiate, the same one who fled Korriban, who used the Dark Side to become immortal somehow) and fought him.

It's not known what happened after that, but Reven and Malak, now calling themselves Sith Lords, returned to the Republic, found the Star Forge, and started the events of Knights of the Old Republic. Then Knights of the Old Republic II happened. Bioware doesn't like to talk about that.

After that, 300 years of calm and rebuilding followed, with the Republic and Jedi Order bringing themselves back to where they were before the Mandalorian Wars. However, the Sith Empire's plan finally kicked off with a massive invasion of the Republic.

The Great Galactic War raged for the next 28 years, finally ending in a stalemate. The Treaty of Coruscant basically divided the galaxy in two between the Republic and Sith Empire.

A cold war settled across the galaxy, with the two sides fighting proxy battles on various planets and engaging in border skirmishes. The game's story starts ten years after the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant.

And that's where we came in.

Cast of Characters – The Empire

Class: Imperial Agent / Operative
Name: Abeena Moonslayer
Species: Chiss
Alignment: Mostly light-side
Current Status: Rogue agent / Freelance problem-solver
History: As an undercover operative in Imperial Intelligence, Abeena thwarted a terrorist plot perpetrated by a Dark Council member and then infiltrated an SIS cell, only to be brainwashed and controlled by them. After breaking free, she learned of an ancient, secret society called the Star Cabal, whose goal was to make the Empire and Republic destroy each other. Abeena took down the Star Cabal, but at a cost; Imperial Intelligence was disbanded, and Abeena has erased all record of her existence. Now she goes where she is needed to fix problems for the Empire.
Written by: Moon Slayer

Class: Sith Inquisitor / Assassin
Name: Atronie
Species: Zabrak
Alignment: Personal Power
Current Status: Dark Council Member, Head of the Pyramid of Ancient Knowledge.
History: A slave found to be force sensitive, Atronie's rise to power was a turmultuous one. Betrayed by her master and her master's master, Atronie only survived thanks to an ancestral spirit. Absorbing five other spirits using an ancient ritual her mind was an overcrowded place. The spirits then also betrayed her. Managing to get them under control she killed her greatest rival, Darth Thanaton and ascended to The Dark Council as Darth Nox
Written by: Catsworth

Class: Sith Warrior / Marauder
Name: Mortiferous
Species: Sith
Alignment: Common Sense
Current Status: Emperor's Wrath
History: After beating innumerable alien animals to death with a stick, Mortiferous was taken on as the apprentice of the fattest smuggest completely trustworthy Sith lord, Darth Baras. Surviving numerous trials and tribulations to solve a problem of his master's own making, Mortiferous's swift ascent to the rank of Sith Lord drew the ire of his master. After being blown up and then assaulted by wave after wave of three guys of varying effectiveness, Lord Mortiferous slew his master in front of the Dark Council, made fun of their terrible hats, and left for the front lines to try to salvage as many Imperial gently caress-ups operations as he can. And he's the Emperor's Laugh now. Or something. He wasn't listening during orientation.
Written by: PoptartsNinja

Class: Bounty Hunter / Mercenary
Name: Lamror [Last Name Unknown]
Species: Human
Alignment: Mostly light-side
Current Status: Bounty Hunter / Employed by Darth Tormen
History: As a young bounty hunter and Mandalorian, Lamror uncovered what happened in regards to the last Great Hunt and took personal interest and charge of bringing the impostor Lamya to justice. With his high status in the Mandalorian rankings because of that, he has now taken upon himself to work with Sith Lord Darth Tormen to make the Republic and Jedi Master Jun Seros pay for the insult of murdering the last three Grand Champions of the Great Hunt.
Written by: Albis09

Cast of Characters – The Republic

Class: Jedi Consular/Sage
Name: Jolune Mol'neux
Species: Miraluka
Alignment: Lawful Good-natured
Current Status: Member of Jedi Council, Barsen'thor of the Jedi Order
History: Jolune is a rookie Jedi Master famed for her role in defeating the "Children of the Emperor", a mysterious organisation of sleeper agents embedded throughout the Republic. Imbued with fragments of the Emperor's dark power, the Children were unstoppable until Jolune fought their hidden leader, the ruthless First Son; a.k.a Jedi Master Syo Bakarn. With Bakarn defeated, Jolune was promoted to his place on the Jedi Council, and now does her best to hold the Republic together.
Written by: Inferior

Class: Smuggler / Scoundrel
Name: Quentine Pelleaon, A.K.A. Quinine Browncoat, A.K.A. Ace, A.K.A. The Voidhound
Species: Human
Alignment: Grubbily Light-Side
Current Status: Republic Privateer / Freelance Hero-for-Hire
History: A retired soldier turned less-than-legitimate freighter captain turned unlikely Republic hero, Quentine became an Underworld legend by uncovering the lost treasure of the infamous gangster Nok Drayen. This fame led to a return to service as a Republic privateer, only for the Captain's world to turn upside down when his Senator sponsor turned out to be a traitor working for his arch-rival, the Imperial Admiral known as the Voidwolf. After clearing his name, bringing the traitors to justice and defeating the Voidwolf, Quentine is now one of the Republic's top independent trouble-shooters. Two-time winner of the Holonet's "moustache of the year" award.
Written by: Dolash

Class: Jedi Knight / Guardian
Name: Rand'ayn Nounverber
Species: Twi'lek
Alignment: Libertarian
Current Status: Allowing the free market to handle galactic events now
History: After spending time cleaning up a bunch of left-over Republic superweapons, Rand'ayn joined the fight against the Emperor himself, participating in an assault on his orbital fortress, which was a disaster. Finally, she got a second crack at him, leading a raid on Dromund Kaas itself and striking down the Emperor's physical form.
Written by: Ferrosol

Missing in Action

Class: Trooper / Commando
Name: Todessa
Written by: Brainamp

Class: Bounty Hunter / Mercenary
Name: Lamadar
Written by: Lamadar

Class:Bounty Hunter / Mercenary
Name: Lamya
Written by: Weaponboy

Where the Story is Now

Over the last year in-game, the Republic and Empire have gone back to war. Each side has struck blows against the other: the Republic's rebuilding efforts on Taris were destroyed, Corellia was captured by the Empire then recaptured by the Republic. And, perhaps most significantly, Revan himself was freed from imprisonment, then struck down by the Empire after attempting to launch a genocidal campaign.

Now, we pick up where we left off …

Thread Stuff!

Here's some links for further reading:

The original Empire thread
The original Republic thread
Something Awful's TOR thread. Check out the excellent OP for everything you want to know about the game mechanics. After two years and two threads we've pretty much said all there is to say about the game itself, so we'll mainly be focusing on the story. There are a few spoilers right off the bat in that OP, though.
Wookieepedia, for all your Star Wars spergin' needs. Beware of spoilers if you look up stuff from this game.
A video LP of KotOR, by WampaLord
An LP of KotOR II, by Scorchy. Considered one of the best SSLP's ever.

Want to join us?

If you want to play The Old Republic, now is the perfect time to get in. Gone are the days of grinding through every single sidequest on a planet, hoping that you won't be underleveled when you leave. Starting from today and lasting through the summer, subscribers get a ridiculous 12 times XP bonus for completing story missions; that will pretty much get you to level 55 on its own.

We play on the Harbinger server, but if you want to play with the larger Goon group, they are on the Jedi Covenant server. If you do wind up on Harbinger, each faction has a guild: Retsupurae (Empire) and Free Republic (Republic, obviously). Type /who then the guild name to see if anyone is on, or just post in the thread and we'll sort you out. Also, if you are joining up, post here to get one of our referral codes; you and whoever gives it will receive bonuses.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Reserved for Table of Contents

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ilum Episode 1: This war can only end one way

: Vaiken Spacedock. Been a while since we've been here.
: Why are we here, exactly?
: My Dark Council contact wants me to get in touch with an Imperial Grand Moff here. Said there's an operation going on that we should look into.

: T9-M6 = requests your attention // = urgent message from Grand Moff Regus = commander of special forces // T9-M6 = patching through now

: Agent … is that what I should call you?
: Sure. Makes things simpler.
: This is Moff Regus, head of Operation Dark Ice. I'm gathering the Empire's best and brightest to fire the final shot into the heart of the Republic. Your record is unimpeachable. Can we count on your support?
: My record? Where did you get my record from?
: Well, I didn't exactly read it. I was assured by Darth Nox of the Dark Council that …
: Say no more, then. Now, about this operation, I'd need to hear a briefing, first.
: I'm sending the coordinates for the planet Ilum. Used to be a frozen wasteland only a few Jedi bothered with. But a few weeks ago, Imperial scientists discovered a way to turn Adegan lightsaber crystals into the most significant breakthrough in military technology since the hyperdrive.
: Where have I heard that before? Let me guess -- these Adegan lightsaber crystals can only be found on Ilum?
: Ilum has the biggest supply, and our scientists have had more success with Ilum's crystals than any other kind. The Empire won on Corellia, but it was costly. We're outnumbered, and we need the technological edge -- we need Ilum's crystals. But as usual, the Republic's intent on interfering.
: So you need me to crack some skulls while you handle the boring stuff?
: You could say that. Ilum's a nasty place. Cold as Hoth, covered in ice and mountainous terrain. Makes moving large armies impossible. I hope to see you soon. *bzzt*
: Ilum = accessible by starship // T9-M6 = uploading relevant star maps as directed // Operation Dark Ice = critical importance // Sentients = should proceed to Ilum now

LATER, EN ROUTE TO ILUM …

: So what's the deal, boss? I thought we were done fighting the Empire's battles for it.
: We are. However, I ...
: … have my reasons.
: We know.
: Yes, well … ostensibly we're going to Ilum to do exactly what the Grand Moff asked -- assist Imperial forces secure Ilum and it's crystals. Unofficially, our source on the Dark Council has been hearing some rumors that an old friend who may be up to something.
: I thought the whole point of going rogue was so we weren't getting caught up in Sith proxy battles anymore. Sounds like a Sith up to their usual tricks to me.
: Sounds like someone just volunteered for frozen wasteland duty.
: Blast

LATER …

: Take us down, Temple.

: Wow, it's … beautiful here.
: Bloody cold, though.

: But I'm sure the inevitable blaster fire and explosions will warm me right up. Shall we find this Moff?

: I see three flaws, Major. You've split your forces. You're vulnerable in the air. And you take our enemy for idiots. You think that Jedi isn't expecting this? Out.

: Incompetents, everywhere! I can't believe it's come to this. Asking me for alien help to save our Empire.
: Don't worry, it's not contagious.
: That was the least of my concerns.
: Charming. Just bring me up to speed.
: Adegan crystals. Imperial scientists can now transform these glitzy bits of rock into the most powerful stealth technology in the galaxy. We want every ship in the Imperial armada fitted with this tech: an unstoppable stealth armada.
: I take it you've run into trouble, or you wouldn't have called me.
: To succeed, we need two things: to control Ilum's crystal supply and to bring our fleet safely to Ilum for modification. Ilum's no place for a war. Narrow passages, sharp jutting rocks and the coldest wind you ever felt.
: Fantastic.
: But that Republic admiral wants a war. He's sent Jedi Master Jaric Kaedan to lead the Republic's elite alien armies on the ground. Kaedan's pinned us in.
: If they want a war we'll give it to them. How do you plan to counter Master Kaedan?
: I plan to kill him.
: …
: I assume there's more to this plan than that?
: The Jedi think of Ilum as their planet. Only two of them were here when we arrived, but they have ruins scattered around the place. The ruins housing Master Kaedan's base are too small for anything but a strike team. And they're surrounded by cliffs full of Duros shocktroopers.
: Then have your soldiers stand aside and let a professional take care of this.
: Our only chance is to lure the Duros shocktroopers into the open, where they're vulnerable. I've established fake supply depots between here and the ruins. Master Kaedan is overaggressive. He's already mobilized the shocktroopers to capture the depots. Clean out the Duros at the supply depots and then assault the ruins base.
: Fake? Why would they still be there if they saw that they hadn't seized real depots?
: Obviously to keep up the deception I needed to stock the depots with real supplies from our stores.
: Of course.

Welcome to Ilum! Ilum is the first “endgame” planet … sort of. As you can see it's still got it's own planetary quest chain, but at the same time there are a bunch of daily missions you can run for commendations (which let you buy the basic endgame gear). It was also the only endgame planet (and I believe the only location for dailies) at launch.

Ilum was also touted as being the “PVP planet,” where control would shift between Republic and Empire in real time. I've never been real into PVP but it seems that this pretty much fell flat, at least on the servers I played on. Now that the level cap has been raised twice, Ilum is pretty much abandoned save for an occasional event.

: There's the Duros troops all over that “fake” depot. Let's clean up this mess.

: You know, this is actually a fairly pretty planet. Shame about the constant fighting.
: Would be nicer if it were a few tens of degrees warmer.

SEVERAL MORE DEAD DUROS LATER …

: *huff* *huff* … that Jedi's camp is through here?
: Yes. I admit, I'm a bit nervous. Jedi aren't invincible, not by a long shot, but defeating them usually falls to the Sith. The only Jedi I've taken down was Kothe, and he was … out of practice.
: What about Darth Jadus? A Dark Council member is nothing to sneeze at, either.
: I had help for that one. Watcher Two was messing with force fields. I never would have gotten off that ship alive otherwise.

: As blind as their troops, it seems.

: Look alive, men! The enemy will attack from that direction at any minute!

: Time to get to work.

MEANWHILE …

: Is there a problem, Master Kaedan?
: No, Admiral. My guests have simply arrived sooner than expected.

: Rest assured, this war can only end one way.

: You are on Jedi land, and I'm only going to ask once for you to leave.
: What do you mean, I'm on “Jedi land?”
: The Jedi have built the temples here for years. These ruins are sites of pilgrimage and meditation.
: Oh. You should have put up signs or something.
: The crystals your Empire hopes to turn into a weapon of mass murder are visible signs of an invisible truth. The Force. A Jedi does not kill until forced. I would sooner kill every Imperial on Ilum than allow these crystals to be desecrated.
: Then you'll die for something you believe in. Do you even HEAR yourself? No wonder Mortiferous gets so annoyed talking to your kind.
: One with the Force, I will be even stronger.

: That's enough crazy for one morning, I think.

: Right then. Let's begin.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 4, 2015

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Moon Slayer posted:

Fist, a brief introduction, taken from the original thread:

Is this also going to evolve and change? :v: You've also got a broken image tag in the update itself, right after the big group react on the space station.

Other than that, glad to see things finally getting into gear for the endgame! This has been a fun LP all the way through, and I'm hoping that will continue in this thread as well.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Messed up tags and typos are part of the Star Wars LP experience :colbert:

But thanks for pointing it out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is that Rand'ayn spoilers in the bio, or did her story finish up when I wasn't looking?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think Corellia also had dailies very early on.

Will we see the Bounty Hunter questline finished here? Or can we at least get a brief summary of what happens?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Is that Rand'ayn spoilers in the bio, or did her story finish up when I wasn't looking?

Ferrosol is MIA but the ending to the Jedi Knight story is a pretty important event so I decided to spoil it for the sake of moving ahead.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I do still hope Ferrosol will be wrapping up the Jedi Knight story, the class quest is so very close to finished.

Still, good to see the new thread up! Looking forward to exploring the post core game.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Will we see the Bounty Hunter questline finished here? Or can we at least get a brief summary of what happens?

Yep, Albis09 will be posting a bounty hunter update on Wednesday. We'll power through that curse yet!

Albis09
Apr 30, 2013

Dead yeti-gain
Yeah, sorry for disappearing for so long. A lot of stuff happened, but it's sorted out now.

Updates will be frequent now, starting with Wednesday as Moon Slayer said.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Heh. I like the callouts of Jedi bullshit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I feel like Star Wars uses different kind of crystals the way Star Trek uses different kinds of radiation: plotonium. These lightsaber crystals are SUPER RARE and SUPER COOL guys, never mind the fact that you had at least a dozen kinds from a dozen different worlds in KOTOR.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
In this case, at least Illum is a pre-established planet with a pre-established supply of super-special lightsaber crystals. And cloaking devices in Star Wars are a real thing.

They're just, y'know, complete poo poo and absolutely not war-winning weapons. Unless you're Warlord Zsinj, but even then? Kiiinda the Republic's fault for losing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Oh, sure, I know about that. Thrawn used different crystals for his cloaking device, I'm sure. And of course you detect cloaked ships with ... wait for it ... a crystal grav trap. :v:

I'm not saying Bioware made Ilum up out of nowhere, but the whole conceit of space crystals is just like the many forms of space radiation: convenient handwave for whatever you need to do that week/episode/planet/quest. It fits in with the established Star Wars EU, but I wish it didn't. On the other hand I'm sure there were plenty of people amped as hell to go to a planet that they already knew about and wanted to visit because of these crystals and their pre-established properties.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 5, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And then in the end they straight up don't matter, since all lightsaber crystals in TOR are the same no matter where you got them from.

IIRC Illum was the only way to get a purple lightsaber crystal (called the 'magenta' crystal now) at launch, but it involved killing a world boss and IIRC had nothing to do with actually gathering crystals of any kind)

Albis09
Apr 30, 2013

Dead yeti-gain

PoptartsNinja posted:

IIRC Illum was the only way to get a purple lightsaber crystal (called the 'magenta' crystal now) at launch, but it involved killing a world boss and IIRC had nothing to do with actually gathering crystals of any kind)

Yeah, to spawn the world boss you had to first travel to Tatoine, get a water buff that did...nothing if I remember correctly, go to Hoth, climb the highest mountain into a snowstorm to make the water freeze, because of course water can only freeze on top of a mountain while a snowstorm is going on on an ice planet. And then you were allowed to go to Illum to make it spawn, but don't die on the way there, or you'll have to start all over again. And I think your whole group needed to have the buff.

Thinking back it's really mind boggling how cryptic some things are/were...or that I willingly did them... :negative:

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Kind of like the bird pet you find the egg of on alderaan and all it says is that it needs a warm place or something. Then you have to take it a specific spot on tatooine. Except you have to know you'll need the rare buff from the water vapoators on the other side of the planet or you'll die getting to the area.

Albis09
Apr 30, 2013

Dead yeti-gain

Bounty Hunter: Update 77 - Still out there

Some time ago...

: Sigh...Two weeks...we have been in orbit for two weeks!
: Yeah, guess they still haven't called up Tormen to verify that we are in fact in his name here and should have permission to dock
: drat Sith! I swear, if I have to wait one more day I'll fly back to his Destroyer and crash it right into Coruscant! And if I have to hear Torian's year old hunt stories one more time-
: Spaceship Number 8134, come in. We received word from Darth Tormen and confirmed that you are in fact in his name here. You have permission to dock. We repeat, you have permission to dock.
: That's...oddly convenient...
: Yeah...doesn't matter though, we still have a job. Granted, our target probably has fled the planet by now, given how long this has taken, but it's worth checking anyway. And I could really use some fresh air.
: Mako, look through the databanks, maybe you find something. Gault, you'll come down with me.
: Umm... Not that I'm complaining, but why me?
: First, this whole thing is a prison as far as I understand, you might know people and can use your connection.
: Second, I need to see what you can do on the field.
: And third, I need someone to check the area with...and you're the one I feel the least bad of endangering
: Wow, thanks. Glad I'm worth to you that much...
: Don't take it to personally. Do a good job, and I might grow to like you. Now come, we've wasted enough time as it is

: I have prepared a briefing, should you require it. Also, please excuse the hold up, the commanding Sith here was very difficult to convince that a Bounty Hunter was under official business here...
: I understand, Siths are hard to deal with... Just start from the beginning, I haven't been given a lot of detail.

: This is Zale Barrows. After helping break the Mandalorian blockade during the war, the Republic offered him considerable latitude to plague the Empire.
: Heh, only suckers took them up on that "Privateer" racket. There's no profit in chasing Sith warships.
: As I was saying...Then, after the Treaty of Coruscant, the Republic retained him as their unofficial ferryman to Belsavis.
: Sounds like a glorified shuttle pilot. Is he even still on the planet? He got enough time to make a run for it by now.
: We can't block every ship but we haven't seen his shuttle on our radars yet, so there's a good chance he is still on the planet.
: Nearly half the ship captains involved in breaking the blockade becaem Republic-sponsored pirates. Unter Barrow's leadership, they harried the Imperial fleet mercilessly.
: Belsavis is a remote ice ball with minimal natural resources-the perfect place to keep things you'd rather forget.
: Which is why the Republic has constructed a substantial prison fortress here to hide away their undesirables. A brilliant idea, I have to say. Shame we didn't come up with it ourselves first.

: We think there may be more to this prison, but our primary objective is to extract persons of interest.
: That includes a large number of Imperial prisoners of war the Republic did not wish to release after the Treaty of Coruscant. A couple days ago for example a young Sith freed the Dread Masters, and they're now on their way to bring terror to the Republic again
: Our landers can insert you into the Republic fortifications relatively near the last known location of Barrow's vessel.
: I need any additional intel about the area. Any jobs I could help with? Such an assault must open a lot of opportunities, right?
: You'll be heading for a starship hangar in the administrative wing. Expect resistance.
: We already disrupted the Republic's ability to maintain control of their captives; the biggest threat to you will likely be the prisoner's themselves.
: It will be absolute pandemonium planetside. This is my direct holofrequency. I am on the call should you need me.
: In regards to additional work you could do for us, I fear most has already been taken care off, the rest our ground troops can handle without a problem.
: Guess I can at least focus on Zale, shouldn't be too difficult to catch him.
: I really wish I had your optimism from time to time...

: After cross-referencing their records with data on the Holonet, I hit the pay dirt.
: Surprise, surprise. There are a lot of people locked up on Belsavis with outstanding bounties.

: I thought you might feel that way.
: Most aren't worth much, so I narrowed it down to the best payout; a gang of bandtis who heisted a major shipment from the Exchange.
: This one's all or nothing, so here's the complete list. Oh, and don't worry about dragging them back; these creeps are wanted dead.
: Understood. Thank you Mako. You've been a great help as always. Keep it up.

*call ends*

: New speeder here I come...

: Huh, this planet is greener than it looked from orbit.
: Yeah, and lots of inmates running wild. Hey I think I know these guys in the distance... Better if they don't see me...
: I really wouldn't be suprised if you didn't know half the inmates here. Now hop on, we got some bounties to collect.

: Off we go!

As Mako told us, there are a lot of high bounty targets on this planet. In every quest hub of Belsavis there will be one or two Elite targets to take out as a story mission for an acutal pretty decent amout of exp and credits.

: What is he looking at? There are no troops or anything in that direction, just a hill...
: Just shoot him before he realizes that and looks over to spot us.

*3 seconds later

: And that's the first one of the list. Now back to this Zale fellow. His shuttle should be close by.

: So what do you think we'll find?
: Probably a lot of republic troops, Zale fleeing the planet or at least the facility.
: Joy. Better check my rifle again. I'm not ready to kick the bucket yet.

: This is...unexpected...
: Looks like some of the prisoners got here before us. If I had to guess this Barrow is probably dead by now.
: He's not dead until I find his body to confirm it.

: His ship's still there, so he didn't fly off. Let's check the hangar for any hint on him

: Hey, Zale! I like your plaything, maybe I'll keep 'er awhile-you ain't Zale...
: You figured that out all by yourself?
: Maybe we should give them some privacy.
: Tell me where he's hidin', or I'm gonna crush girlie here like a bug!
: I'm not with Zale, so how about you settle down before anyone has got get hurt?
: Not that i wouldn't mind. By Mandalore, I need to blow of steam and you're pushing all my wrong buttons, fatso.
: Ain't gonna work. If killin' Zale's little girlfriend don't get you talkin', bet I can come up with somethin' that will.
: Please, make my day. Get it in your head

: Bounty Hunter, huh? Wait your turn.
: Ain't nobody killin' him but me.
: Keep talking like that and you won't even walk out of here.
: Stop playin' though chump, you're not scaring me. Lucky day, girlie. You're still the only one left to rat him out.
: You can just shoot me, I'm not telling you anything.

: I promise.
: I'm not stupid. I'm dead. Zale... why'd you have to play the hero...?
: I wanted to leave when the first sirens sounded. Zale insisted we stay to help evacuate if things got too bad. "Too bad"... understatement of the year.

: The central power plant failed, and the hanger doors are closed,. Even our ship can't put out enough juice to open them. We're trapped.
: Zale stormed off after some argument with the warden--said he had "unfinished business".
: He took Em-three-oh-bee to get the control power plant back online... said not to wait for him. That's all I know.

: I can leave?
: You ain't goin' nowhere, girlie. And your boy's gonna hear all about how you died--before I kill him.
: I don't think you heard me, ugly...

: When I promise something, I keep it.
: I don't give a crap about your promise, and I said she doesn't!
: You really wanna do this? Listen fatso

: Tch, you're lucky I ain't got time to peel you outta that can.
: Run, girlie--but when I find you, I'm gonna see how much you can scream before your lungs go.
: Real charmer, aren't you?
: Just keep talking, I'll deal with you soon enough, punk!

*runs off*

: He's gonna be trouble, I can feel it. Just kill him next time and be done with it, ok?
: I...can really go?
: ...Thank you...
: Don't mention it, I've got an image to keep. Can't afford to look soft.
: Now lets see what's the fastest way to the power plant...

Bonus:

Zale Barrow posted:

War does funny things to people. Before the Great War, nobody would have thought that "Captain" Zale Barrows was anything more than a two-credit trader with a careless disregard for customs law–let alone a patriot. But after watching the Imperial invasion tear apart the Outer Rim, there was only so much he could take. When the Mandalorian blockade of the Hydian Way began to strangle the life out of the Core Worlds, Zale was one of the first smugglers to sign up to break it. Following that victory, he gladly went into service as a Republic privateer. Having won the respect of many with his heroics at the blockade, Zale acted as admiral of the Free Spacers Fleet, a battle group that went on to route the Empire’s Third Fleet over Dantooine and remove the Seventh Fleet from Imperial service. The defense of Coruscant during the Imperial invasion was the last action Zale’s fleet ever saw, but he wasn’t through with the Republic just yet. For the last several years, Zale Barrows has served as “ferryman” to Belsavis, transporting the most dangerous criminals in the galaxy to the Republic’s secret prison. There’s no glory in this job, and the money is nothing exceptional–but it seems Zale has accepted his calling.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That Zale guy sounds pretty great. If I were Lamror, I'd think twice before going up against any free-captains flying privateer for the Republic...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dolash posted:

That Zale guy sounds pretty great. If I were Lamror, I'd think twice before going up against any free-captains flying privateer for the Republic...

He'd certainly make a better companion than the one we get.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Is this game worth playing at the F2P level, or do you need to get a subscription to have any fun?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
It *may* be. Former subscriber here, decided to try and poke at the game again after a long hiatus, came back to find half my character slots locked down (to be fair, I had a /lot/ of alts) and a lot of other stuff I'd gotten used to now stuck behind the paywall. Plus, with the complete revamp of the talent trees I have absolutely no idea anymore what does and doesn't work, so I think I may be better off rolling up a new character than try to fix and relearn endgame play...

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Playing as a non-sub is a nightmare because pretty much every quality-of-life upgrade is completely locked and your credits are capped at 200k (which is nothing).

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That said, preferred gives you some stuff to ease that. If you want to seriously play even one story though, sub is mandatory to have fun during it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

Is this game worth playing at the F2P level, or do you need to get a subscription to have any fun?

Here's a quote from the spoiler-free part of the SA Old Republic thread:

Medullah posted:

There are three levels of play in the game. Completely Free to Play should never happen because you can easily become Preferred by either subbing for a month or making a purchase in the cartel market. You should never be Free 2 Play, unless you’re a gold farmer.

How restrictive Free 2 Play is can be a hot topic amongst us nerds. The general consensus is that if you are looking for KOTOR 3 and don’t want to play with other people or raid in endgame or dress up in pretty outfits, then Preferred is fine. You’ll have some quality of life issues but it’s not the end of the world. If you have ANY desire to do anything in the endgame, you need to subscribe. You can’t raid without buying a weekly pass, and you can’t even wear anything that drops in a raid without a special unlock.

tl;dr - Sub for a month or buy something with Cartel coins, enjoy your $15 KotOR III.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm playing as preferred and having fun with it. I'm not interested in raids and pvp, I just want to hit things with lightsabers with an enjoyable story, so I'm not really bothered by most subscriber-only stuff. I'd probably say: get yourself some cartel coins, the unify colours unlock, and enjoy your permanent status as preferred without looking like a dork! (warning: you may still look like a dork depending on your choice of outfit)

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

ILUM 1: WHAT'S YOURS IS MINE

Previously posted:

The EMPIRE is on the back foot. Forced to retreat from CORELLIA, with almost half the DARK COUNCIL dead due to INFIGHTING and POOR TACTICAL CHOICES, their armies are losing ground daily. Could the end of the war be near? Or is this the calm before the storm...?

...aaand the ionic restabiliser's shot. That's what's been causing the weird smell whenever we go past 0.8.

Huh. Thought that was Qyzen.

Of course, the ship wouldn't be busted if someone hadn't ordered us into the middle of a space battle.

How was I to know Heroic Space Missions don't screw around?

At least we made it back to Carrick Station.

Good old Freeloader Central.

Yeah... We always seem to get dragged into something here.

”We” do nothing of the sort. You roll over for any stranger with a sad story.

I know you're fresh off the battlefield, but I have an urgent message from Supreme Commander Rans.

Thirty seconds. A new record.

Not surprised, after your victory. Takes me back to my own fighting days...well. no time for that now.

We've had great success in tracking down the last of the Children of the Emperor. You single-handedly turned the tide of this war. You and those other 7 guys.

The tide's turning a lot these days.

The Republic already owes you a debt it can never repay. But I'm calling because we need your help again.

That's the burden of being a hero. You get the jobs nobody else can handle.

:confuoot:

As a Jedi, I'm sure you're familiar with the ice world of llum. It's one of the galaxy's primary sources of lightsaber crystals. The remnants of the Empire's forces have invaded Ilum en masse. We sent reinforcements, but they're getting overwhelmed.

If this is the Empire's last gasp. I would have expected them to strike at a more populated world.

Ilum's not your typical target. This is a raid, pure and simple; they're trying to strip the planet bare. The crystals on llum are unique, and the Empire has found a way to use them to amplify cloaking systems.

Oh good, another superweapon to change war forever. How many are we up to now?

Thirteen, I think.

Yes, well... With enough crystals, they could build an invisible armada: an entire fleet capable of striking any Republic world without warning.

Since the Empire lacks the numbers to hold any planets, they're going to devastate them instead.

Report to the Republic space station orbiting Ilum ASAP. A shuttle will take you down to the surface. We're using the Jedi Temple as a makeshift headquarters for our operations; meet me there and I'll give you a full briefing. Rans out.

...Tharan, can we make it to Ilum?

Oh, I can probably keep the engine together long enough for us to get out there. On the proviso that you don't ask me to do any work once we've arrived.

Deal. Let's go.

AND SO...

”Frozen hellhole? Better call Felix!”

You do your best work in frozen hellholes.

I should put that on my business cards.

You two for the shuttle down?

Had to set up their command post in an unsecured field. You need to speak to Commander Rans. I can take you there.

A BUMPY RIDE LATER...

Well, would you look at that? You can see the arc of the galaxy from here.

We're a long way out... Brr.

Oh yeah. Really getting the Hoth flashbacks now.

[VIDEO: Hail, Hail, The Gang's All Here]

Let me introduce our allies: Master Boudyn of the Jedi and Commanders Caroowar, Jiyan Dar and Yet Jub.

The introductions are over. Now we strike back! Retake the temple-no more retreating like cowards!

No, Caroowar. The attack on the temple is to distract us from Darth Arho's true goal... just as the peace talks blinded us before the Sacking of Coruscant.

There are still secrets in the temple worth guarding, Commander.

They will never know the Dance Secrets of the Jedi.

Arho's not here for the archives; he wants Ilum's crystals. They're using deep miners to drill into the very core of the planet!

*RUMBLE*

Ilum has impeccable dramatic timing.

The excavations leave massive sink holes. The entire world's becoming unstable. If we don't stop them, Ilum could literally crack in two.

:cthulhu:

After you've cleared each mine, call us and we'll send reinforcements in to hold the area.

This base doesn't seem very secure. It's literally a hole in the ground. Maybe you and the other commanders should retreat to one of the ships in orbit.

We can't do that. The best place to oversee the efforts of our troops is right here on the surface. We're staying.

But... ships. In orbit. They have sensors, and guns, and satellite comms. They'd be way better command posts.

Honestly, I just don't like the the Navy. All those shanties... Ugh.

Stopping the deep-miners won't end this. Unless we locate the Imperial command post, they'll figure out another way to harvest Ilum's crystals.

Good idea. After you disable each deep-miner, download the mine's terminal datalog. Bring all the data to Agent Samm Bradber at the communications center for analysis.

Understood. How am I going to get out there?

We've sourced some cold weather transportation from an old friend of yours. Speak to them outside.

Old friend, he says.

I wonder who Rans meant.

...!!!

:swoon: Tawny!

Mehhh!

Aww... Wait. Didn't he get turned into a sleeping bag?

:saddowns:

There's the first mine.

...I think I'm getting a headache.

The mine is a long boring slog through dozens of enemies. I really wish Jolune had stealth abilities sometimes.

That must be the deep-miner.

How did the Empire build this so quickly?

Detonite rigged!

Run!

*BOOOM!*

:neckbeard:

Better tell Rans the good news.

*mipmip mipmip*

I've secured the first excavation site and scanned the communications terminal.

Well done. We'll send a team to secure the mine while you head to the next one.

...I think I'm getting a migraine.

The mine is a long tedious grind through dozens of enemies. I really wish Jolune had stealth abilities sometimes.

That has to be the deep-miner.

How did the Empire build it so quickly?

...I've just had the weirdest feeling of deja vu.

Run!

*BOOOM!*

:neckbeard:

*mipmip mipmip*

I'm at the last mine. Everything's all clear.

Get that transmission data to Samm Bradber. He's waiting for you at the Republic communications center.

Did you notice that energy shield on the way in? They must expect the Imperials to deploy some serious artillery.

Why would the Empire want to flatten some comm station in the middle of nowhere? I don't think we've been told the whole story.

Agent Bradber? I've got the data from all the mine terminals.

You Jedi types do good work. Rans was smart to put you on this. Let me contact him while the data's decrypting...

Just got the coordinates. Looks like the orders were coming from a small Imperial base on the ground. SIS scouted it before, but didn't think it was important enough to have priority.

With the whole planet under siege, Arho knew Republic intelligence would overlook something so minor.

A cowardly Sith Lord. How did he ever make it to the Dark Council?

His winning personality? The file doesn't say.

So who's running things at the base?

SIS has a file on her. Pretty good with a lightsaber. Killed at least a dozen Sith during her time on Korriban. Never punished for it.

Arho protected Loyat. Their relationship goes deeper than master and apprentice.

:heysexy:

Darth Arho is consumed by the dark side. He will cast her aside when she ceases to be useful.

You can try to arrest her if you think that's best. But I won't miss her if she winds up dead.

NEXT TIME: Our Friends in the North.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Supreme Commander Rans posted:

In some ways, Supreme Commander Rans is a soldier from another time. He grew up in the peaceful years before the Sith Empire’s return, where the greatest threats he faced were border skirmishes with scattered Mandalorian clans. Nevertheless, Rans proved to be a quick-thinking and heroic soldier; as he ascended the ranks, his looks and easy charm also made him a media darling and helped him to build up the Republic military to new and impressive standards.

Although a clever strategist and liked by his men, Rans was outplayed by the Sith Empire in the later days of the war. Underestimating the Imperial threat, he pushed to move troops off Coruscant and onto the Imperial border not long before the planet was sacked. Rans has more than learned from his mistake, however. No one in the Republic military is more dedicated to driving back the Empire and restoring the glory days of the Republic.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 9, 2015

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Man, it's been so long since I've played Republic-side Ilum, I thought that the stories complemented each other a lot more than they do. Spoiler: Arho and Loyat aren't mentioned by the Imperials at all.

Inferior posted:

The mine is a long tedious grind through dozens of enemies. I really wish Jolune had stealth abilities sometimes.

:smug:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yes, stealth abilities are very...important.

:negative:

Don't pick sorcerer kids.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Darth Arho? That's a pretty stupid Darth name. Where's the ridiculous naming scheme we all enjoy? Darth Poysan, Darth Dedbabi, anything but Arho.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Yes, stealth abilities are very...important.

:negative:

Don't pick sorcerer kids.

But if I'm not a sorcerer I can't solve all my problems with lightning.

And that's a sad thing.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Shanking peeps with double-glowing stick is just as viable, though it doesn't give you many opportunities to cackle like mad(wo)man.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

That's some impressive data-mining efforts, there. :golfclap:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Darth Arho? That's a pretty stupid Darth name. Where's the ridiculous naming scheme we all enjoy? Darth Poysan, Darth Dedbabi, anything but Arho.

I guess Oliver Queen turned to the Dark Side.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Darth Dedbabi

:golfclap:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ghostwoods posted:

That's some impressive data-mining efforts, there. :golfclap:

They missed the one Mort recovered from the Dark Temple.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I was very proud of coming up with Darth Murtorious for my Sith warrior, felt like just the right level of groan inducement.

Bruceski posted:

I guess Oliver Queen turned to the Dark Side.

"You have failed this city for the last time!"

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

I was very proud of coming up with Darth Murtorious for my Sith warrior, felt like just the right level of groan inducement.

I think we're touching upon the /real/ reason the Jedi Order fights the Sith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

They missed the one Mort recovered from the Dark Temple.
The Ravager's an interrogation tool though, not a weapon of war.

(I've also missed out the ones we didn't see from the Trooper storyline)

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Arho's a Finnish name, derived from the Greek Arhippa, which means "chief cavalier". Which is actually pretty appropriate, given Arho's role and personality.

I'm not sure if it's ever explicitly stated, but Arho is Darth Baras' replacement as head of the Sphere of Military Offence.

• Locked thread