Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
:siren: :siren: FINE gently caress YOU HERE HERE'S THE GOD drat LINK TO THE GOD drat BEERSHEETS :siren: :siren:

old dog child posted:

Goon Fantasy Football IRC
There's always people idling. Stress about your flex in real time!
#fantasyfootball
irc.synirc.net
Mibbit link

Welcome back Fantasy Sports Fans, it's 2015. It's officially time to be wrong 40% of the time at best get ready for some fake football!

In addition to the links below you can also check out this list from Dynasty League Football. This Reddit post also has a ton of useful information.

Free League Hosting Services
  • ESPN: ESPN is stable and reliable system that's fairly powerful. It's the one I personally use and have no complaints.
  • CBS: The grandaddy. There are both free and premium subscriptions.
  • Yahoo: Yahoo has a somewhat clunky interface and terrible “experts” but it’s free and not terribly hard to use.
  • NFL.com: Flashy interface and integrated video, the NFL seems to be sinking some money into the site. The draft interface is unfortunate.
  • Fleaflicker: It’s a free site and very highly reviewed. The interface is spartan and information-driven and league customization options are deep.
Premium League Hosting Services
  • My Fantasy League: Allows the greatest range of league customization options (both the league web site and rules). Winner of multiple FSTA League Manager Product awards. Fantastic for dynasty, and well worth the $60 it costs to run a league each year.
Useful Free Resources
  • NBC Rotoworld: THE source for examining specific players and getting news on them. I don't even bother using their on-site search engine; just Google "Rotoworld (Player Name)" and it'll pop right up.
  • Football Guys: Has a free daily newsletter that I consider mandatory. It provides you with updates and alerts about players. They also have a really nice amount of content should you subscribe.
  • FantasyFootballCalculator: The current standard for mock drafting. It's a good place to find other people and get some experience with the pace of drafting. Another new mock draft site that's generating some buzz is SnapDraft. I haven't had a chance to use it myself.
  • FantasyPros: An immensely helpful aggregrator, taking data from all sorts of sources and providing a consensus of their thoughts. Personally I think this is the best method for looking at projections and predictions, as to be honest at best people will be around 60% correct. They also have a free weekly cheat sheet where you can input your team and get back projections; if you have multiple teams it's worth dropping the cash for the premium edition.
  • Reddit Fantasy Football: They're very active and frequently post new information and articles. Probably one of the easiest ways to pick up new info, and the community is well moderated.
  • Bleacher Report Fantasy Football Newsletter: Varg recommends this newsletter as a useful source of NFL information and sit/start advice.
  • Pro Football Reference: More statistics than is probably healthy for any particular person. If you're at the point in your fantasy football progression where you're consulting sites like this for information then congratulations, you're one of us.
Useful Premium Resources
  • 4For4: Known for their accuracy, and one of the premium services I subscribe to.
  • Rotoviz: Premium article-heavy site full of interesting analysis and data driven projections. One of my favorites.
  • Dynasty League Football: This site offers advice specific to dynasty leagues. I consider this a mandatory subscription unless you're in my dynasty league.
  • Pro Football Focus: Additional projections and fantasy news.
  • DraftCalc: Known for bold projections. Also a fair number of fantasy articles and projections.
Useful League Resources
  • LeagueSafe: Online fantasy league escrow service. It has some limitations (no in-season transactions), but the fees are low and I had a great experience with it.
  • Clicky Draft: Online free draft board. I used this last year in my family league to put the board on our flat screen.
  • Draft Night: Online draft web board with multiple apps. I haven't used it yet.
ADP, Rankings and Projections

Twitter
Want to know when a previously unheard of player is starting, or that your stud is out for the game because of a DUI? Twitter is your friend! These recommendations come from Dirt Worshipper and Azhais.

Football Guys
@Sigmundbloom Produces the excellent "Audible" podcast. My favorite follow.
@MattWaldman Writes the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I'm not sure he sleeps.
@JeneBramel MD and Football Guy, excellent for injury updates on gameday morning and IDP advice

Misc. Writers
@4for4_Paul - from 4for4, most accurate guy the last couple years
@ChrisWesseling Former writer for NBC rotoworld, works for Falcons media now I think. Not sure if he's still gonna do fantasy when 2013 rolls around. If he does, he's one of the best, and well worth the follow.
@dpbrugler Dane Brugler, former NFL scout and writer for CBS, good follow.
@SC_DougFarrar Doug Farrar of shutdown corner
@LanceZierlein Runs thesidelineview.com, great follow
@Dumonjic_Alen Bleacher report/sidelineview contributor, player evals. Smart kid.

Pro Football Focus
@MikeClayNFL Accurate, prolific, one of the better writers
@JeffRatcliffe Great for IDP
@PFF_RossMiles Also great for IDP, does a weekly IDP show with Ratcliffe
@dynastytim used to write for Dynasty League Football, just joined PFF. Great dynasty follow.

NFL Guys
@AlbertBreer
@gregcosell
@mortreport
@AdamSchefter

Varg posted:

Footballguys just emailed out an entire list of who to follow on twitter for every team's fantasy purposes.. I might actually pay attention to twitter now. I put it into an excel file in case anyone who's not subscribed to their mailings is interested. BeerGod feel free to add this to the OP too if you want

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2td2v607i1oexx/fantasy-football-twitter.xls?dl=0

Podcasts
Just listen to Azhais:

Azhais posted:

:words:

I listen/have listened to approximately all the podcasts. A common theme in the ones I don't like: acting like they are funnier than they are/trying to make it like some sort of morning talk show. I like my (fantasy) football news to be as dry and informative as possible. Ordering here is pretty much straight off the podcast app on my phone so don't read into the ordering.

The Most Accurate Podcast (4for4.com): So far it is pretty content lite (it only started up in March and is focused on redraft leagues, so not real surprising) and is mostly an advertisement for itself (:iiam: if I'm listening to the podcast I probably already know about it). 4 for 4 has been one of the most accurate sites for a few years now, so I'll give this one a go til the start of the season anyway.

Shutdown corner (Yahoo): Football news, not fantasy, but Greg Cossell knows his stuff. If you're just interested in general football chat/draft talk, this one is pretty good.

Under the Helmet (DLF): Done by Chad Parsons of dynastyleaguefootball.com (and formerly of PFF I believe). This is about as dry and informative as it gets, even for me. Chad talks like someone on classical NPR, almost whispering into the mic. But he's very informative and very stats/numbers heavy. Primarily focused on dynasty and keeper leagues and he's big on discussing measurables and doing player comparisons.

Fantasytaz: Fantasy Football Power Hour: Not a fan and I don't listen to it anymore. He's got some good information for redraft leagues, but I can't deal with his personality. Lots of people like him, and I follow him on twitter because he actually has some good observations, but he's a little more boisterous than I like out of my radio shows. Shallow complaint to be sure.

Draft Countdown (draftcountdown.com): NFL draft and prospect talk. I like to keep up on the up and comers for dynasty purposes and Scott Wright puts on a good show. Minimal fantasy value outside of dynasty, but if you want to know all about the trials and tribulations of your favourite team's newly drafted backup right guard, this is the place to be.

DLF podcast (dynastyleaguefootball.com): One of my favorites for the offseason anyway. Lots of discussion of the teams and depth charts and waiver advice and sleepers for your dynasty league. Of marginal value for redrafts I expect, but if I can only listen to one or two podcasts some week, this is one of them.

NFL draft tracker (NFL.com): More prospect talk. I rarely end up listening to this one because it ends up being mostly sportscaster style interviews with the recent draftees (aka every running back Who do you feel you pattern your game after? Adrian Peterson), but leading up to the draft they had some pretty decent views on the prospects. Again, very low fantasy value.

Pro Football Focus Fantasy: They have 4 shows.
Quick Snap- Redraft focused. Like all of PFF's podcasts they are heavily numbers based, and being the offseason they are fairly content light at the moment, mostly discussing mock drafts and early projections. I quite like both of the hosts and this is on my short list to listen to each week, tho they need to drop their fake sponsors because the bits aren't that funny (This week's show brought to you by S-Mart!).
The Dynasty Slant- Their dynasty show. Like all dynasty shows the present discussions are on new startups, a lot of trade analysis in the offseason, breakout candidates, waiver stashes, etc. Also on my short list each week.
The Nickel- Their IDP show. Redraft and Dynasty discussions about all things IDP and who is gaining/losing value based on position and scheme changes, who is likely to acquire more or less work, how new rookies are going to displace veterans. Ross Miles breaks it all down with a sexy British accent (if you're in to that sort of thing). An absolute must listen if you do IDP leagues, and Ross has been one of the most accurate IDP analysts for a while now.
The Mike and Taz show- Redraft oriented. Another Fantasy Taz show, which means I don't listen to it because I don't like loud.

Fantasy Football Weekly (KFAN): One of the grand daddy fantasy football radio shows from KFAN in Minnesota. Entirely redraft oriented and offline during the offseason. This airs for two hours every Saturday morning during the regular season which means they aren't at all helpful for Thursday games, but I quite enjoy them overall. They might fall off my list somewhat depending on how I end up liking 4for4's regular season content as one can only listen to so many Sit/Start radio shows, which is the primary focus of this one.

Fantasy Focus Football (ESPN): Matthew Berry's daily fantasy show. Rapidly falling off my list just due to how much random crap they do that isn't all that focused on fantasy football (this goes back to my morning radio complaint up top), but I do make a point to listen to the Thursday (or Friday? its been a while since the regular season) show when they do the injury updates/training camp reports. Other than that they have a lot of gimmick shows, and a lot of sit/start type advice. As entertaining as listening to some pro wrestler grade trades is I spend my time elsewhere most of the time.

The Audible (footballguys.com): Pretty much everything FBG does is decent, and the Audible is no different. Others have already discussed this one, so I'll leave it there. I could do without the rap intros however. FBG also does "On the Couch" which is their live show with various guests, and that one is pretty hit or miss depending on the guests/topics.

FFToolbox: Fantasy Football Toolbox, in contrast to their name, is a pretty general fantasy sports site. I've found its real hit or miss if the show is going to be about football, or baseball, or hockey (or all three). Perhaps during the regular season it is more focused, but I've taken it off my subscription list just because I don't like the Fantasy Sports Roulette that the podcast seems to be. I might give it a shot again once the season starts up, but I've got enough to listen to :effort:

Tuesdays with Aaron: Aaron Rodgers' weekly show :allears:

There are a variety of others that I've taken off my subscription lists just due to volume of things I listen to, low content, or just being too gameshow-y (or just not liking the hosts for one reason or another.) CBS's podcast, NFL fantasy live, dynasty football warehouse, the fantasy football guys (not to be confused with the football guys), probably others.

tl;dr- Send Help

Also Dren:

Dren posted:

You should add Christopher Harris's Fantasy Underground (available on iTunes) podcast to the podcast list.

Introduction
Fantasy Football is the ancient art of nerds pouring over statistics in the hopes of predicting how infinitely more athletic and successful men will perform over the course of a professional football game. In recent history it has become a billion dollar industry while infusing itself into the collective psyche of the NFL. Countless podcasts, articles, websites, and every other source under the sun have sprung up in support of what is essentially glorified socialized gambling. There's even a television show about a league. Fantasy Football is basically Dungeons & Dragons for jocks football fans. You assemble a roster of individual players from across the National Football League, and then each week the individual performance of the player is tracked and scored. Positive actions like passing, catching, scoring touchdowns, or making field goals give you points. In some leagues negative actions like fumbles, interceptions, or missing a field goal can take away points. At the end of each Monday Night Football game your total score is added up to determine how well you did that week. In many leagues you are pitted against another team for a head-to-head match that determines a winner and a loser. At the end of the season the teams with the most wins will participate in a playoff tournament. The winner of the playoffs will be the champion.

The leagues themselves vary from friendly to insane, including at least one where the loser gets a tattoo chosen by the winner. Other leagues have pots worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, or byzantine rules about relegation, delegation, salary caps, and every other statistic under the sun. We are collectively insane, and we can't get enough. Fantasy Football itself is a lot of fun. Not only do you get to make a game out of watching football, but it also forces you to learn about the sport as a whole. I would never have known (or cared) that last year Darren McFadden was struggling with the Raider's transition from a power blocking scheme to a zone block until he became my first round draft pick and started costing me games. It makes you a better fan when you know all the players on the field. Dirt Worshipper said it best:

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Before I played fantasy I despised it. We all know the obnoxious guy at the sports bar in the Brady jersey, running in between TV’s screaming ”Throw Jennings the ball!”. They disagree fundamentally with the lessons our fathers taught us about football: You root for your home team, through good years and bad. The bad years are meant to be borne with grim fidelity, the good years are our reward. Fantasy was just wrong.
But then I tried it. I joined a work league and had a blast. Rooting for your “real” football team and your fantasy one are not (usually) mutually exclusive. You need not become that guy. Fantasy has not made me a worse fan. On the contrary, my knowledge of the entire league has grown. I’m able to really enjoy more than one game every Sunday. If you love football, give fantasy a try.

The Basics
A league consists of several owners (typically 12), one of whom is the commissioner who manages the league. At the beginning of the season each owner drafts a roster of players. Rosters are typically fifteen players and consist of starters and a bench of reserve players to replace starters who are injured or on bye weeks. A typical starting lineup that will mirror NFL positions and consist of 1 Quarterback (QB), 2 Running Backs (RB), 3 Wide Receivers (WR), 1 Tight End (TE), a Place Kicker (PK), and a Team Defense/Special Teams (DST).

Each week your players will score points for your team according to their performance. Scoring can be very simple or incredibly complicated depending on the league, but many leagues use a standard scoring system where passing provides 1 point per 25 yards, 4 points per passing touchdown, and -1 point per interception and receiving and rushing gain 1 point per 10 yards, 6 points per receiving/rushing touchdown. Field goals are typically worth 3 points, and team defense scoring depends on a number of factors including sacks, interceptions, points allowed, defensive touchdowns, etc. Many leagues will use different scoring systems depending on the preferences of the players. One significant difference is PPR, or Points Per Reception, where wide receiver are awarded a set number of points (typically 0.5 or 1) for every reception.

The league season will go for a set number of weeks during the regular NFL season. Typically the last two to four weeks of the regular season are reserved for the playoffs, and most leagues end on the sixteenth week because many NFL teams will sit their star players in Week 17 if the outcome doesn't matter.

Variations
There are many roster variations that different leagues will use. Many leagues use a flex position where different positions can fit into a slot. The most common form of flex position replaces the third WR position in the standard lineup above with a WR/RB/TE flex position. That means that any Wide Receiver, Running Back, or Tight End player could be used in that slot. Leagues where that flex position allows a QB are typically called "2 QB leagues" because quarterbacks typically score far more points that other players. Other leagues utilize IDP or Individual Defensive Players instead of Team Defenses. IDP players score points for tackles, sacks, interceptions, touchdowns, etc. Many leagues are several years old and include rules to provide continuity between seasons. In contrast to a redraft league where every player is drafted at the start of each season some leagues use keepers where team owners are allowed to keep a set number of players per year. Other leagues are dynasty leagues where the entire roster is kept from year to year. Typically dynasty leagues use much deeper benches and include a rookie draft.

The Draft
Every league starts with a draft, where team owner pick their players. There are two major types of draft; the snake draft and the auction draft. A snake draft is where every owner receives a draft position and then picks a player in order for a number of rounds equal to the roster size. It's called a snake draft because the order "snakes" back and forth each round. In other words the owner who picked last in the first round will pick first in the second. Auction drafts are where each team owner has a set budget and they bid for each player until everyone's roster has been filled. There are numerous drafting strategies out there, but ultimately the goal of any draft is to get the maximum amount of value for your players.

Trades and the Waiver Wire
While drafting is essential, the most successful teams typically win by taking advantage of the waiver wire and trades. Trading is precisely what it sounds like; players offer each other trades that are accepted or rejected. Many leagues incorporate an approval process to prevent collusion where two players will deliberately stack one team and then split the winnings; there is no universe where Adrian Peterson is worth Mark Sanchez. Depending on the league trading may either be nonexistent or commonplace. Many leagues will end trading several weeks before the playoffs begin.

The NFL has hundreds of players and most of them will not be on a team roster. As players are injured or fall out of favor team owners will be forced to pick up free agents to replace them. To do this they use the waiver wire. Each week individual players are locked the moment their team starts their game. For the duration of this "waiver period" owners who wish to claim a free agent submit a "waiver claim." Owners who wish to make more than one waiver claim must indicate the priority of their claims. At the end of the waiver period (typically a day or two after the beginning of the new week) the league software checks the standings of the teams. Going in reverse order (worst standing to highest) the teams get their highest priority claim. If multiple teams have submitted waiver claims for the same player it will go the team with the lowest standing, and the other teams will get their lower priority claims. After the waiver period has ended every player is available to be claimed immediately. The waiver wire is extremely important. Alfred Morris, the 5th ranked running back of 2012, was a free agent in most leagues until the first week. Many owners use the waiver wire to "stream" defenses and other players based on that week's match.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Here we go again

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Fantasy Football 2015: My Body Is Ready

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So as someone who knows nothing about the offensive rookies coming in, who's looking like good grabs?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Zypher posted:

Here we go again
you're missing the slow draft that you forgot you signed up for! ;) check the other thread

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

LmaoTheKid posted:

So as someone who knows nothing about the offensive rookies coming in, who's looking like good grabs?

http://brojackson.com/football/rummys-nfl-rookie-dynasty-rankings

Edit to add: For me, I'm all about Agholor, DGB, and Perriman for WRs, and Yeldon, Gordon and Coleman as RBs. But with rookies I always wait until the pre-season to see how the depth chart is shaking out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I must keep my fantasy football activities secret from my wife, so that I can delay for as long as possible the moment when she gapes at me with that wide-eyed, hurt look, hugging the TV, and cries: "It's football season again already ??"

She was out of town this weekend while I had the draft on the whole time, heh heh. She suspects nothing.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Best thread title. Let's do this.

Which pick do I use on Charles Sims? 1.01 or 0.01?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Spoeank posted:

Doug Martin's fifth year option did not get picked up today, gentlemen start your Sims

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Charles "Jesus Christ" Sims

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Is Graham expected to be #1 at TE again this year now that he's with Seattle, or has Gronk moved up (followed by a plummet in TE value)? I used my 1.12/2.1 picks on Graham and Ball last year in the league I run and missed the championship for the first time ever and I need to be talked out of doing that again.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Hazo posted:

Is Graham expected to be #1 at TE again this year now that he's with Seattle, or has Gronk moved up (followed by a plummet in TE value)? I used my 1.12/2.1 picks on Graham and Ball last year in the league I run and missed the championship for the first time ever and I need to be talked out of doing that again.

2015 TE RANKS

1. Rob Gronkowski

HUGE loving DROP OFF

2. Jimmy Graham

HUGE loving DROP OFF

3. Kelce/Olsen/Whomeverthefuck

Seattle is a run first team, but Graham should see some serious work in the red zone. I think it is reasonable to expect similar production to what he did last year (zeroes included.)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

I must keep my fantasy football activities secret from my wife, so that I can delay for as long as possible the moment when she gapes at me with that wide-eyed, hurt look, hugging the TV, and cries: "It's football season again already ??"

She was out of town this weekend while I had the draft on the whole time, heh heh. She suspects nothing.

she went out of town because she knew you'd be watching the draft but that neither of you are ready to admit it. a good wife.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hazo posted:

I'd say Gronk is over Graham at this point. There's a metric fuckton of uncertainty going on with respect to Seattle and how they'll use Graham. Hopefully he'll bounce back this year, because while he was TE2 last year there wasn't really that big of a difference between him and the rest of the field.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm very curious to see where Julius Thomas winds up. Also, whether Vernon Davis' massive, massive regression last year signals the end of his career, or if he's going to have something of a resurgence this year. Especially with new coaches, new OL, new plays, and a significant drop in WR talent available to the passer.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Gyshall posted:

2015 TE RANKS

1. Rob Gronkowski

HUGE loving DROP OFF

2. Jimmy Graham

HUGE loving DROP OFF

Seattle is a run first team, but Graham should see some serious work in the red zone. I think it is reasonable to expect similar production to what he did last year (zeroes included.)

Seattle has recently been a run first team because their best receiver was doug baldwin, i think graham is undervalued in a lot of circles and i'm very excited to see what russel wilson can do with a competent passcatcher. That being said, gently caress TEs

Spoeank posted:

lol look at this scrub who didnt use his keeper on charlemagne sims

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's the 2015 strength of schedule for each NFL team (Combined 2014 record of all 16 opponents, combined winning percentage), taken from this article:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers: 147-107-2, .579

2. Cincinnati Bengals: 144-112, .563

3. San Francisco 49ers: 143-112-1, .561

4. Seattle Seahawks: 142-112-2, .559

5. Arizona Cardinals:142-113-1, .557

6. St. Louis Rams: 141-114-1, .553

T-7. Oakland Raiders: 139-116-1, .545

T-7. Kansas City Chiefs: 139-116-1, .545

9. Cleveland Browns: 138-116-2, .543

10. Denver Broncos: 138-117-1, .541

11. Baltimore Ravens: 137-117-2, .539

12. Minnesota Vikings: 138-118, .539

13. Chicago Bears: 136-120, .531

14. Green Bay Packers: 135-120-1, .529

15. Detroit Lions: 135-121, .527

16. San Diego Chargers: 132-123-1, .518

17. Miami Dolphins: 126-130, .492

18. New York Jets: 125-131, .488

19. Buffalo Bills: 124-131-1, .486

T-20. Washington Redskins: 122-133-1, .478

T-20. New York Giants: 122-133-1, .478

22. New England Patriots: 122-134, .477

23. Philadelphia Eagles: 121-134-1, .475

24. Dallas Cowboys: 119-136-1, .467

25. Jacksonville Jaguars: 118-137-1, .463

26. Tennessee Titans: 111-144-1, .435

27. Carolina Panthers: 111-145, .434

28. New Orleans Saints: 109-145-2, .429

29. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 108-146-2, .425

30. Houston Texans: 106-148-2, .417

31. Indianapolis Colts: 106-149-1, .417

32. Atlanta Falcons: 104-150-2, .409

quote:

Based on 2014 records, the Falcons will play the easiest schedule in the NFL next season. Of the 16 regular season games Atlanta will play in 2015, only four of those will come against opponents who finished 2014 with a winning record.

The Falcons can thank their horrible division for their "easy" strength of schedule: Every team in the NFC South finished the 2014 season with a losing record.

The Falcons strength of schedule for 2015 is .409, which beat out the Colts (.417) for the easiest strength of schedule next season.

On the other hand, there's the Pittsburgh Steelers, who are going to have to navigate through a difficult schedule if they want to return to the playoffs for the second year in a row.

Based on 2014 records, the Steelers will play the toughest schedule in the NFL next season. The Steelers will play a total of nine games against 2014 playoff teams, plus games against the Chiefs and Chargers, who both finished with winning records, but didn't make the playoffs.

That means the Steelers will play a total of 11 games next season against teams who finished 2014 with a winning record. Again, the Falcons will only have to play four.

The Steelers strength of schedule for 2015 is .579, which beat out the Bengals (.563) for the toughest strength of schedule.

Matt Ryan and friends should have an easier time of it this year. What really stands out to me, though, is the Colts. When your opponents are this garbage, makes me wonder how often Andrew Luck will sit out the fourth quarter of blowout games. Could that actually negatively effect his numbers?

Meanwhile, the Steelers, Bengals, and Niners are all teams to avoid.

Of course, you can't read too much into SoS:

quote:

The Jets weren't helped by their strength of schedule either. Going into the 2014 season, New York was supposed to have the ninth toughest schedule based on their opponents' 2013 records, but after all the the games were played, the Jets played the second toughest schedule in the NFL. The Jets went from 8-8 in 2013 to 4-12 in 2014.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have the Dallas Cowboys, who were supposed to have the 18th most difficult schedule going into 2014, based on their opponents' 2013 records. However, after all the games were played in 2014, Dallas ended up having the easiest strength of schedule in the NFL, playing against teams that combined to go 114-142 (.445).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Even if Luck sits in the 4th, he's going to be sitting with 300+ yards and probably 3TDs.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Perfect thread tag

e: Beer, can you add the IRC info to the OP?

#fantasyfootball
irc.synirc.net
Mibbit link

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 4, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

old dog child posted:

Perfect thread tag

e: Beer, can you add the IRC info to the OP?

#fantasyfootball
irc.synirc.net
Mibbit link

Done.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If you guys need me to add any AOPs on IRC, let me know.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gyshall posted:

Charles "Jesus Christ" Sims

Or maybe it's just getting Rainey in Tampa

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Gyshall posted:

2015 TE RANKS

1. Rob Gronkowski

HUGE loving DROP OFF

2. Jimmy Graham

HUGE loving DROP OFF

This is the year for Kyle Rudolph. TE sleeper pick of the year, count on it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Jose Valasquez posted:

Yessss

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also, as a podcast update since that post is like two years old.

Shutdown Corner: No longer hosted by Cossell. Sever.

Under the Helmet: Chad Parsons moved from DLF to his own site (uthdynasty) and his podcast went premium. I wasn't impressed with my UTH subscription last year and the cost went way up this year, so he can just go to hell.

PFF's lineup: These all got merged into a single show ("the fantasy slant") you can subscribe to (and the hosts just change day to day with the same content it used to have). Major downgrade since I can't just subscribe to the Nickle anymore and instead have to download everything. MY BANDWIDTH

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Varg posted:

you're missing the slow draft that you forgot you signed up for! ;) check the other thread

Bah. Twas a big sports weekend; I'm still recovering and only just stumbled into work. Sorry to slow things down!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Oddly enough I'm on board. I streamed tight ends last year to great success, and for daily fantasy plays a bunch of those guys like Rudolph/Kelce/Walker can be huge versus the competition, but thats the only justification I can make for them.

Its really Gronk/maybe graham/maybe kelce/maybe Cameron or bust this year, and then just take TE's once you've filled out your other positions.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Gyshall posted:

Oddly enough I'm on board. I streamed tight ends last year to great success, and for daily fantasy plays a bunch of those guys like Rudolph/Kelce/Walker can be huge versus the competition, but thats the only justification I can make for them.

Its really Gronk/maybe graham/maybe kelce/maybe Cameron or bust this year, and then just take TE's once you've filled out your other positions.

Hey pal, don't sleep on Olsen! He was consistent as hell last year and he just signed a 3 year contract. Consistency is about the best you can hope for in the land of TE bullshittery.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Yeah I don't know why people always forget about Olsen when we're talking TE depth. He's perfectly adequate, and really reliable.

Depending on how much of his usage last year was due to his injury recovery, Kelce could easily end the year posting numbers similar to what Jimmy Graham will likely do this year. I don't think there's a chance either of those two outpace Gronk (if Gronk stays healthy), but they're both good bets regardless. Olsen is in the same range, just more consistent and less talented.

Rudolph, Walker, Bennett, Orange Julius, Jordan Cameron, even Witten are all pretty viable options of varying quality/draft point. Then there's a whole fuckload of young guys who are entering their second/third season (when TEs typically blossom), like Ertz, Amaro, Seferian-Jenkins, Eifert, Ebron... TE isn't as shallow as the babytime whiners like to make out, it just takes some actual draft strategy. After all, the guy who takes Gronk in the first round is going to be missing out on Julio Jones or whatever.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Adam Levitan with a good look at the early "winners" of the draft, depth chart wise.

Obviously some of these will change as teams sign promising UDFAs or sign a decent free agent/roster cut, but it's a good take on the depth chart situation for some of these guys. Charles Johnson, Blount, Josh Hill, and yes, CHARLES SIMS are the ones that I'm particularly convinced their respective teams' drafts amount to a vote of confidence.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm at a complete loss with what I'm going to do with Ellington. I'm keeping Jeremy Hill for an 8th and can keep AE for a 10th but drat he's fragile. Apparently they've made the line better so maybe he'll have better blocking this year?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'm at a complete loss with what I'm going to do with Ellington. I'm keeping Jeremy Hill for an 8th and can keep AE for a 10th but drat he's fragile. Apparently they've made the line better so maybe he'll have better blocking this year?

Assuming you have no better options I think AE is worth a dice roll at that price.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Spoeank posted:

Assuming you have no better options I think AE is worth a dice roll at that price.

I need to go through my team and the draft from last year. Off the top of my head I have that Bryant kid in PITT for a 13th and Roethlisburger for a 10th, or Jordan Matthews for a 7th.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Correction, Bryant is a grown rear end man.

None of those other mans seem like a worthwhile keep.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Correction, Bryant is a grown rear end man.

None of those other mans seem like a worthwhile keep.

It's been really tempting to keep Bryant for sure. Kid was a monster to close out the season. And going in with a RB2 (borderline RB1) and a good WR would put me in a good spot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AE in the 11th is an amazing bargain. He's a starting RB with talent. Any starting RB with talent will be gone by the sixth round. Are you allowed to trade guys you kept as keepers?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

I'd definitely go with Bryant, he's the surer bet of the two, and I think he'll break out even more this season.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Bryant is the man there not AE.

Edit: my favorite MB fact that doesn't make sense but kinda does is he had more FPPG last season than Kelvin Benjamin (9.9 to 8.9375 according to my back of napkin math)

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 4, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is CJ Anderson the favorite to be the Bronco's starter this year? I have the opportunity to keep him in the 18th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If he's not the starter, they're a pack of idiots. His performance last year completely rescued the team, after Peyton fell apart.

• Locked thread