Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/03/upshot/the-best-and-worst-places-to-grow-up-how-your-area-compares.html?abt=0002&abg=1

Be sure to zoom out and look at the country as a whole.

Its almost as if this graph has a lot of red (bad) in one concentrated area. I'm not a geography expert so I will have to withold judgement. Perhaps goons can help identify this troubling region!

Also it looks like...yes...is it true....yeah, all the blue (good) is concentrated around a particular state in the middle. SO STRANGE.

Post your stats ITT to learn about economic mobility! Unless its in that red region, that would be bad and embarassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
in a caravan, thread over

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lorn Wayne posted:

in a caravan, thread over

:thurman:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised goons aren't taking this golden opportunity to learn about social mobility. Guess Caramel Machiattos are more important, smdh.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Jastiger posted:

I'm surprised goons aren't taking this golden opportunity to learn about social mobility. Guess Caramel Machiattos are more important, smdh.

Show us a heat map of macchiato sales around the country cross referenced with skinny jeans sales and we'll talk chumbo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
we should have just let the south go imo

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Why does the OP hate places with black people?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lorn Wayne posted:

Show us a heat map of macchiato sales around the country cross referenced with skinny jeans sales and we'll talk chumbo.

Where would you even find that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I don't understand how the map has all the wealthiest futures in these podunk, sparsely populated agrarian regions like central Montana and Iowa.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't understand how the map has all the wealthiest futures in these podunk, sparsely populated agrarian regions like central Montana and Iowa.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3715950

This is why. Quality cities.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Methamphetamine is a multibillion dollar business.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Does this page track your location and zoom in on where you live when you load it?

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
I don't understand what this graph is tracking.

It says my place is bad for social mobility, but if I'm not poor that's a good thing for me right? Or at least a non-issue?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mdm posted:

Does this page track your location and zoom in on where you live when you load it?

It does. Be sure to zoom out.

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I don't understand what this graph is tracking.

It says my place is bad for social mobility, but if I'm not poor that's a good thing for me right? Or at least a non-issue?

It tracks mobility as far as how much money it'd take for the children in a poor area to come out ahead in the future and based on that amount, assigns a value.

I don't think its really the best metric, but can be a good macro look at what kinds of opportunities are in an area, and what kinds of patterns exist in regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This chart seems to somehow negatively correlate with abstinence only sex ed.

Go figure.

• Locked thread