Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
The soreness that comes with breaking the rust that has built up after a 13 year layoff is almost too real. But, I'm making a full comeback to this loving game. I still have [some of] it in me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The soreness that comes with breaking the rust that has built up after a 13 year layoff is almost too real. But, I'm making a full comeback to this loving game. I still have [some of] it in me.

When I pitched for the first time in forever I couldn't bend my elbow for a week. But it's worth it, hell yeah.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Every spring makes you realize how next year you'll be better about training in the off season. Then you spend all winter drinking beer avoiding the snow.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Popete posted:

Every spring makes you realize how next year you'll be better about training in the off season. Then you spend all winter drinking beer avoiding the snow.

*swings bat five times in February* yeahhhhh man I'm ready

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I tried out for an amateur baseball league in Minneapolis a couple weekends ago. Hitting a baseball is a lot harder than I remember it being when I was really good in high school 12 years ago. :(

I guess it will be one more year of softball and some time in the cages to prepare better for next year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I tried out for an amateur baseball league in Minneapolis a couple weekends ago. Hitting a baseball is a lot harder than I remember it being when I was really good in high school 12 years ago. :(

I guess it will be one more year of softball and some time in the cages to prepare better for next year.

Unless it was a highly competitive league I'm surprised you didn't get drafted. Or have you just not heard back?

I actually didn't even go to the draft the first year I moved here and I was still drafted unseen by my team. It ended up working out as it's a pretty cool club, but there are some drat good players in this league. Teams really just want people who will show up consistently and have fun, don't sweat "not being good enough". I worried a lot about that when I first got here but now I just roll with it for the most part. I'm not the best but I'm not the worst and I can I live with that. The old cliche that baseball is %90 mental is actually pretty close to the truth.

Accident Underwater posted:

*swings bat five times in February* yeahhhhh man I'm ready

Pretty much yeah.

We actually moved into a new slightly larger apartment last fall and I made sure we arranged the furniture so I could "safely" swing a bat inside. I was pretty good this winter about taking a dozen or so swings a day just to try and stay loose.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Two strikeouts and a bunt single last night. I was swinging like poo poo, first pitcher was throwing real slow, like 45 MPH and I just got way over anxious to hit and chased bad pitches. Second guy was throwing close to 80 and after the first guy it may as well have been Aroldis Chapman, I again swung at a high fastball out of the zone on a 1-2 count. Next time up the leadoff guys walks and I know I'm not feeling the bat so I drop down a bunt and it was perfect, the catcher waited because it looked to go foul but stayed right on the line. I'm glad I've been spending a few pitches every BP session to practice bunting, it makes a difference.

But yeah I gotta work on waiting back for my pitch, been getting too anxious to swing and getting myself into bad counts.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Popete posted:

Two strikeouts and a bunt single last night. I was swinging like poo poo, first pitcher was throwing real slow, like 45 MPH and I just got way over anxious to hit and chased bad pitches. Second guy was throwing close to 80 and after the first guy it may as well have been Aroldis Chapman, I again swung at a high fastball out of the zone on a 1-2 count. Next time up the leadoff guys walks and I know I'm not feeling the bat so I drop down a bunt and it was perfect, the catcher waited because it looked to go foul but stayed right on the line. I'm glad I've been spending a few pitches every BP session to practice bunting, it makes a difference.

But yeah I gotta work on waiting back for my pitch, been getting too anxious to swing and getting myself into bad counts.

Being able to bunt is such a useful skill in these leagues. Any time you can force a tough play it's great. I have one sac this year but I tried to bunt for a hit while jumping out of the box Sunday but was way ahead of myself. I did end up hitting a single later in the AB at least.

I'm also still pitching every week and lol at my stupid elbow now but it's so drat fun and I'm doing okay. Our team has the best pitcher in the league, he finally made his 2016 debut last week, so hopefully we trend up from here.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Tried to bunt at the batting cage last night and took a 70 mph pitch off the thumb. Might've actually just ended my comeback before it started. 😔

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Tried to bunt at the batting cage last night and took a 70 mph pitch off the thumb. Might've actually just ended my comeback before it started. 😔

Oh geez. Is it broken? If it isn't you should be be okay to play in a week or two.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Oh geez. Is it broken? If it isn't you should be be okay to play in a week or two.

Looks gnarly but ibuprofen is killing the pain/swelling and I'm regaining strength/mobility.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ouch, bunting can be dangerous. I always start my first pitch at the batting cages with a bunt each cycle, it's good to practice committing yourself to a bunt. The hardest part of bunting is getting down and in a vulnerable position to lay down a good bunt.

Speaking of getting hit, I fouled a ball off the plate and it came straight back up and knocked my helmet off. Luckily it only skimmed my face but that was a bit surprising. Went 1-3 on our game last Friday with a bases loaded single down the 3rd base line for 2 RBIs and a stolen base. This season is a lot of fun and we have won our last 3 games. Baseball is cool.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Popete posted:

Baseball is cool.

Bryce Harper succeeded.

I pitched in not one but TWO games yesterday. I am indestructible and will never get old or die. Started game 1, got rocked in first inning for 4 ER. Pitched four more scoreless, then 2 scoreless in relief in game 2. Lost game 1 with winning run on second, won game 2. Sad there is no baseball for a whole week.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bryce Harper succeeded.

I pitched in not one but TWO games yesterday. I am indestructible and will never get old or die. Started game 1, got rocked in first inning for 4 ER. Pitched four more scoreless, then 2 scoreless in relief in game 2. Lost game 1 with winning run on second, won game 2. Sad there is no baseball for a whole week.

My arm would be shot for a solid week.

We have an exhibition game tomorrow and I'll ask the manager if I can pitch an inning, doesn't count towards are record so might as well. I didn't pitch at all last year and I've only thrown a handful this year but if I can get my fastball over the plate I'll be happy. If it's a good day I have a pretty mean slider too.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Popete posted:

My arm would be shot for a solid week.

We have an exhibition game tomorrow and I'll ask the manager if I can pitch an inning, doesn't count towards are record so might as well. I didn't pitch at all last year and I've only thrown a handful this year but if I can get my fastball over the plate I'll be happy. If it's a good day I have a pretty mean slider too.

That's awesome, hope you get a shot. My arm has been shot after each week enough that I can't really lift weights until about 5 days later, but loosens up okay by next game (we play two every Sunday). I pitched for this team like ten years ago, and only this year started again. I lost my curve and haven't been able to locate my change but lmao that no one can hit my junk two seamers and cutters down in the zone. Walks are only thing hurting me bad.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That's awesome, hope you get a shot. My arm has been shot after each week enough that I can't really lift weights until about 5 days later, but loosens up okay by next game (we play two every Sunday). I pitched for this team like ten years ago, and only this year started again. I lost my curve and haven't been able to locate my change but lmao that no one can hit my junk two seamers and cutters down in the zone. Walks are only thing hurting me bad.

Walks are the bane of every rec league team, if you can get the ball across the plate semi consistently there is a spot for you on any teams roster doesn't matter if it's 40 MPH lobs.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
My team had a 7-5-3 putout yesterday because the batter took his sweet rear end time getting to first.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

My team had a 7-5-3 putout yesterday because the batter took his sweet rear end time getting to first.

That guy learned the wrong lessons from Puig.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
After a nice start to the season my manager asked if I'd want to play in the Korean league for his team (I'm not Korean), extra baseball means more ABs! This should be fun.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

After a nice start to the season my manager asked if I'd want to play in the Korean league for his team (I'm not Korean), extra baseball means more ABs! This should be fun.

Hope you've been working on your batflips.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Hope you've been working on your batflips.

Massive bat flips on bunt singles is my forte.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Popete posted:

That sounds really fun, good luck

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So we would of had a game yesterday but the other team could only field 7 guys and had to forfeit. Sucks having early (6 PM) games in the burbs cause no one can make it on time if traffic is at all bad and it was horrible last night.

We ended up just doing some BP and practice pitching, I finally threw off a mound for the first time in a few years and my manager immediatly tells me I'm gonna be pitching on Sunday in the Korean league. My fastball was alright, I was a little bit high on everything but if I can just bring it down I'm fine with it, my slider and curve are gone so I'm down to one pitch right now. Let's hope they can't hit straight/flat 65 MPH fastballs.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Popete posted:

So we would of had a game yesterday but the other team could only field 7 guys and had to forfeit. Sucks having early (6 PM) games in the burbs cause no one can make it on time if traffic is at all bad and it was horrible last night.

We ended up just doing some BP and practice pitching, I finally threw off a mound for the first time in a few years and my manager immediatly tells me I'm gonna be pitching on Sunday in the Korean league. My fastball was alright, I was a little bit high on everything but if I can just bring it down I'm fine with it, my slider and curve are gone so I'm down to one pitch right now. Let's hope they can't hit straight/flat 65 MPH fastballs.

I throw junk cutters and it regularly fools the hell outta righties. If you can pitch inside do it to everyone unless there's like some real legit power guys. You'll get called strikes inside off the plate and most guys at our level can't get around on anything except to hit grounders. Throw an eephus too, because why the hell not.

E: I have like a 7 ERA so advice may or may not result in success

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

Unless it was a highly competitive league I'm surprised you didn't get drafted. Or have you just not heard back?

There were 40+ people at tryouts for ~15 open slots and I was definitely solidly in the bottom half so it wasn't too surprising.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

There were 40+ people at tryouts for ~15 open slots and I was definitely solidly in the bottom half so it wasn't too surprising.

Wow that's a lot of guys, sounds like your league needs to start a couple more teams. If you're ambitious or know anyone else wanting to play you could start your own. Either way use the time to get ready for next draft or directly contact some team managers and let them know you are willing to fill in if need be, managers will love you for that and someone will likely pick you up next season.

I throw junk cutters and it regularly fools the hell outta righties. If you can pitch inside do it to everyone unless there's like some real legit power guys. You'll get called strikes inside off the plate and most guys at our level can't get around on anything except to hit grounders. Throw an eephus too, because why the hell not.

E: I have like a 7 ERA so advice may or may not result in success

Ended up throwing 2 innings, gave up probably 6 runs? To be fair though I think only a few of those were earned. My biggest achievement which is a good sign is that I didn't walk anyone and I only hit one guy on a slider that got away from me. My fastball/changeup felt pretty good, I was only trying to get it over the plate not really trying to hit any particular spot. I did attempt to throw inside a few times and did get it there but mostly just wanted to get it in for a strike. I got 2 or maybe 3 strikeouts one on a slider in the dirt which felt good. Our team got smoked 1-8 or something like that but I had 2 of the three total hits for our team (I was 2-3 with the only RBI). The other teams pitcher threw very very slow, I was standing way ahead of the plate and still had trouble waiting back long enough. It was a different pace from my regular more competitive league but still fun and the extra ABs and low pressure pitching is hopefully gonna help.

Popete fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 13, 2016

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
So I joined a rec slowpitch softball league this year- literally the first "organized" sport team I've been involved with in 16 years. So far it's been a blast, even though I'm so out of shape and just volunteering for easy positions like catcher or right field. I've picked up about six hits or so in four games - nothing remarkable, but bloop singles (including 2 in one inning!)

My goodness my legs are sore from running bases / crouching behind the batter, though. Climbing stairs was demonic this morning. And I need to keep swinging the bat so maybe I can make better contact. But really I was terrified I'd be striking out every time and dropping every ball that came near me, so I'm happy with my progress!

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I finally pitched for the first time in a while yesterday and gave up 0 earned runs* in two-thirds of an inning! Plus I broke out my slider and struck out two guys, so I think I have a third pitch now.

Because my team made 2 errors, then I walked a guy and gave up a grand slam

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tinstaach posted:

I finally pitched for the first time in a while yesterday and gave up 0 earned runs* in two-thirds of an inning! Plus I broke out my slider and struck out two guys, so I think I have a third pitch now.

Because my team made 2 errors, then I walked a guy and gave up a grand slam

I don't remember the exact stat line but I'm pretty sure I only gave up like 1 earned run my first time pitching this year despite it being a 6 run inning, we have a lot of errors in the Korean league.

In my primary league I'm having a fantastic year at the plate, I'm batting a cool .400 right now which feels pretty awesome. Granted it's all singles and a good few of those are infield hits (that's what speed do) but I'm really starting to feel good at the plate. I switched from a 33" to a 32" bat this year and I think that made a big difference. My walk rate is down from last year but I'm fine with that cause I'm being more aggressive at the plate. My managers are showing more confidence in me and I'm getting the steal sign pretty much every time I'm on base. I'm also getting moved around defensively between outfield and 2b which is good because versatility gets you a lot more playtime in rec league.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
hey, a baseball thread

I pitched in high school, I was basically a fastball slider lefty. I was good for my area but not great....i could usually locate my fastball and was maybe 83-85 or so, and had a hard slider that I couldn't locate for poo poo but that had good enough movement

so I kind of halfassedly mentioned this to a co worker and he got all excited, he runs an adult team and they need a loogy type guy for a tournament next month. I haven't done much more than play catch since i was 17 and I'm 34 now so...yeah.

he gave me a bucket of balls and a bounce back thing and asked if id throw some and see where I'm at, so I did. I think my fastball is probably low mid 70s and I can hit the half of the plate I want maybe half the time. my slider still slides but i can't really pick any spots with it. I've thrown a couple of days and my arm really isn't that sore but I only have maybe 40-50 pitches before things start to go south.

so the reason I typed all this out is....is this worth my time or would I just be making an rear end of myself and ruining this teams chances? I play adult hockey tournaments regularly and love then but I'm way better at hockey; i don't really know what adult baseball tournaments are like, if they're like hockey (beer/friends > sports) or more serious, and I have no idea if I'm good enough for the competition (the dude said they usually compete in the third division which is mostly guys who topped out at high school)

anyway any thoughts on any of this appreciated. also do I have to buy spikes if I do play

also if I'm being over optimistic on my velocity let me know as I'm just totally guessing

bewbies fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 21, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

hey, a baseball thread

I pitched in high school, I was basically a fastball slider lefty. I was good for my area but not great....i could usually locate my fastball and was maybe 83-85 or so, and had a hard slider that I couldn't locate for poo poo but that had good enough movement

so I kind of halfassedly mentioned this to a co worker and he got all excited, he runs an adult team and they need a loogy type guy for a tournament next month. I haven't done much more than play catch since i was 17 and I'm 34 now so...yeah.

he gave me a bucket of balls and a bounce back thing and asked if id throw some and see where I'm at, so I did. I think my fastball is probably low mid 70s and I can hit the half of the plate I want maybe half the time. my slider still slides but i can't really pick any spots with it. I've thrown a couple of days and my arm really isn't that sore but I only have maybe 40-50 pitches before things start to go south.

so the reason I typed all this out is....is this worth my time or would I just be making an rear end of myself and ruining this teams chances? I play adult hockey tournaments regularly and love then but I'm way better at hockey; i don't really know what adult baseball tournaments are like, if they're like hockey (beer/friends > sports) or more serious, and I have no idea if I'm good enough for the competition (the dude said they usually compete in the third division which is mostly guys who topped out at high school)

anyway any thoughts on any of this appreciated. also do I have to buy spikes if I do play

also if I'm being over optimistic on my velocity let me know as I'm just totally guessing

My man, you are going to be loved by your team if you can get through an inning or two without giving up more then a couple runs.

Velocity doesn't matter as much as you might think. If you have any sort of movement on your pitches you can get a lot of guys out. You may not get strikeouts if your velocity is low, but you will induce weak contact and that can be a lot of pitchers bread and butter.

Look at it this way. Your co-worker is excited to get a pitcher who hasn't thrown in a game in 17 years. That means he probably has almost no one he can rely on, or who is willing to step up and pitch. If you go out there and give up a few runs the worst that happens is you get pulled from the mound and the next guy goes in. Just remember that no matter how bad you perform, most people aren't going to remember even a few days later. Try it out, chances are you'll have a blast and maybe even have a new part time pitching opportunity. It's a lot of fun, if it's like any of the rec leagues I've played in everyone is gonna be super supportive no matter the outcome.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Every rec league team needs innings. More importantly it's fun.

Anyone else playing Fall ball? I think our team is extending this year, I'm super pumped. I was really sad when we got bounced from the playoffs (in extra innings).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My manager asked if I was interested in playing. He is the player director for the league so he helps teams fill in rosters. I've never played in the fall so I'm pretty excited.

Our regular season is over and we had our first playoff game which we won handily 13-1, lots more to play though.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I went out and threw yesterday with a couple of guys from this team and they actually seemed pretty enthusiastic. So, guess I'm going to give this a try! God help me when I try and hit though, that is going to be some comical poo poo.

The tournament starts in a couple of weeks...any advice in getting my arm/stamina back up a bit without destroying any ligaments or joints? I'm in good shape otherwise but my arm is still pretty noodly.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Work up gradually. Start very light, and avoid throwing full power until you've gotten a few days of throws in. Throw from different distances and arm angles if you can. Also expect you'll be sore, no matter what. Good luck!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pitched in a scrimmage yesterday; have my first tournament game tonight. I had 3 IPs and struck out 3, walked one, plunked one, and gave up a long double (probably could have been more), guys on the team said that they're usually really strong hitters at this skill level so they thought I'd do fairly well against actual competition. Slider was sliding pretty well but our catcher kind of sucks at balls in the dirt so it'll probably be off the table if we have guys on base, which...sucks.

I also took two ABs and it was every bit as bad as I thought it would be but on the plus side I got a cool new bat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a pretty successful outing, hope the tournament goes well for you this weekend. Don't feel too bad about plunking a guy, it happens in rec league. I got absolutely drilled just below the knee the first game of the playoffs and it injured a nerve that runs down your entire leg, for 2 weeks I kept waking up in the middle of the night and my foot felt like someone was stabbing it with little needles. That's probably the worst HBP I've had so far.

Both of my teams regular season are over. My primary team we lost in the first round of the playoffs, we finished 2nd in the league overall so it was a bummer to get knocked out so early on. My Korean team we are starting playoffs this weekend so I'm excited to get a few more games in this year.

Personally I had a really big year at the plate, I finished 7th overall in the league for highest batting average at .395 this is even more impressive considering last season I batted .094. A big part of the turnaround is mental but I also think switching to a lighter 32" bat helped a lot.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
yeah he was a teammate...I ran up and apologized etc as he was walking to first and he was like pfffft my side only sort of hurts. It was kind of humbling in a way as it was clear he was none too bothered by my cannon arm.

The other team's SP threw in the mid 80s and plunked two guys though, they were less pleased with that whole situation.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We've had a couple pitchers get the boot after plunking 3 guys in an outing (league rule). I've only once ever seen someone get pissed about getting hit and that was because we had one game were we hit probably 6 of their guys. Everyone just kinda laughed at the guy who got angry cause at the rec league level you just accept that it's gonna happen once in awhile and you hope the guy doesn't throw too hard.

It is a little disconcerting when you're on deck and the guy ahead of you gets plunked by a guy who is super wild and throwing 80+ though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Personally I had a really big year at the plate, I finished 7th overall in the league for highest batting average at .395 this is even more impressive considering last season I batted .094. A big part of the turnaround is mental but I also think switching to a lighter 32" bat helped a lot.

Wow, this is a ridiculously good improvement. Nice job! :eyepop:

• Locked thread