Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Imaduck posted:

I feel like this whole thing is just an argument between folks who live in cities with things like "good public transportation" and "legitimate taxi services" and those who don't.

Why do you feel that way?

What I'm saying is that a city or municipality has the right--really, the obligation--to regulate businesses, including taxi businesses or taxi-like businesses such as Uber. If the town doesn't have great public transport, they'll probably give taxis more leeway and want more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Obdicut posted:

First, that's a false dichotomy: regulating taxis doesn't mean you have to leave regular cars untouched. You can charge a congestion fee or something else along those lines. Second, increased taxi availability (and drive-down costs from it) means fewer people take public transport and walk. Lack of taxis doesn't tend to significantly drive private car ownership or usage.

No, I'm not saying one is incompatible with the other, I'm saying that your argument doesn't actually support the policy you're defending (putting special restrictions on taxi numbers beyond those that apply to private cars). Taxis being a substitute for private car usage isn't actually necessary for your argument to be wrong!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm fine with kicking Uber out of all cities and having it be a free-for-all out in the sticks. Unfortunately Uber has now become fashionable, mentioned in pop songs and used by politicians (maybe that doesn't mean it's fashionable..). Looks like we're all welcoming the Kali Yuga with open arms.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

That sounds like a good argument for increasing vehicle and gas taxes. It's an extremely bad argument for restricting the number of taxis while leaving regular cars untouched.

That fucks over the worker class, all of them, harder than Uber could ever hope to. Also nearly all actual taxis are Priuses at this point anyway.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

That fucks over the worker class, all of them, harder than Uber could ever hope to. Also nearly all actual taxis are Priuses at this point anyway.

Camry or escape hybrids. Where do you see priuses???

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tautologicus posted:

Literally everywhere I've been that has taxis in the past year? There are occasionally other vehicles in addition to priuses (props to Spain for E-Class taxis!) but Prius taxis are a pretty common sight everywhere I've been recently.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Literally everywhere I've been that has taxis in the past year? There are occasionally other vehicles in addition to priuses (props to Spain for E-Class taxis!) but Prius taxis are a pretty common sight everywhere I've been recently.

Europe then? Never seen a prius taxi in the US. Maybe i am not paying attention.

They get ~10 mpg more in the city than the ones i mentioned so itd be a big deal i think.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 23, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tautologicus posted:

Europe then? Never seen a prius taxi in the US. Maybe i am not paying attention.

Bunch of Prius taxi's in Phoenix. They all drive like poo poo, just like regular taxis Prius drivers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tautologicus posted:

They get ~10 mpg more in the city than the ones i mentioned so itd be a big deal i think.

In Europe, yes, but also the local fleet in Calgary (and we love our oil industry!).

They really need to make something like the Crown Vic/Towncar in a modern, hybrid format. Sure, it's like driving a couch, but it can fit an absurd amount of luggage, and it's really large and comfortable. I wouldn't buy one to drive, but I'd pay a premium to take one as a taxi/sedan.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

No, I'm not saying one is incompatible with the other, I'm saying that your argument doesn't actually support the policy you're defending (putting special restrictions on taxi numbers beyond those that apply to private cars). Taxis being a substitute for private car usage isn't actually necessary for your argument to be wrong!

I have no clue what you think my argument is.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Tautologicus posted:

I see a lot of Prius's(Prii?) in Sacramento and the S.F. Bay Area - there's still a few old-school Crown Vics, but most taxis nowadays seem to be vastly more efficient vehicles than ten years ago.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tautologicus posted:

DC and the MD suburbs thereof it's nearly all Priuses with the occasional relic crown vic/impala cop fleet castoff stiil puttering along and the mobility vans. It's a combination of the good gas mileage and the ungodly reliability; those things will do 300k miles without breaking a sweat.

e: the greater point was that there isn't a need to encourage real taxi companies to become more fuel efficient by hurting the working class with gas taxes, they are already doing it because it is the economic thing to do. Uber requiring newish vehicles isn't awful from that perspective either, but they don't care if you drive a Suburban or a Prius as long as it's newer than X.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

ICYMI: Uber forgot about collecting taxes in Canada and are saying it's up to the driver to do it.

So non-canadians understand - HST must be collected (can be included in the price, but must be labelled as such) and their HST number must be on the receipt. There is an out clause that if the entity issuing the receipt is making under $30k they don't have to register and collect, but they need to prove they won't make that.

With Uber issuing the receipt, the driver has no way of increasing the fair to compensate and collect the taxes if warranted. Also the receipt is issued from Uber, not the end driver.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2015/07/21/uber-says-drivers-are-expected-to-collect-hst.html posted:

Uber Canada says it’s up to its drivers to collect the HST from customers and turn it over to the government.

And a spokeswoman said Tuesday the company pays all applicable taxes after taxi-industry supporter Councillor Jim Karygiannis (open Jim Karygiannis's policard) launched his latest attack against the ride-sharing company.

He obtained an email purportedly sent from an Uber customer support representative to an UberX passenger that stated: “There is no tax charged on rides.”

Karygiannis has asked the Canada Revenue Agency to investigate whether the company is, in fact, paying the appropriate amount of tax.

“I am totally shocked and surprised that a Canadian corporation is able to get away without charging and paying (HST),” Karygiannis wrote in his email to Andrew Treusch, commissioner of revenue and CEO of the CRA.

Responding in email, Uber’s Susie Heath wrote there is, in fact, tax charged on rides, but it is up to drivers to collect and remit the tax.

“Eighty per cent of fares collected for Uber trips go to local and independent driver partners who must file their HST (harmonized sales tax) obligations,” she stated.

“As a registered Canadian business, Uber Canada pays all applicable taxes, and we regularly communicate to driver partners on how to file their HST as applicable.”
Karygiannis said he has seen many Uber passenger receipts and the fare breakdowns do not include an HST charge or registration number.

“If a mom-and-pop operation failed to comply with municipal, provincial or federal rules, governments would be all over it.” Kim Hynes, a spokeswoman for the Canada Revenue Agency, would not respond to questions about Uber citing “specific tax affairs of taxpayers/registrants.” Hynes also did not respond to the Star’s request for information on whether the agency is collecting tax from Uber drivers, nor how CRA would ensure the applicable amount of taxes are being paid.

She explained, in email, that self-employed cab drivers, whose fares are regulated under the laws of the province or municipality, must be registered with CRA for GST/HST purposes and charge 13 per cent on their fares.

If the fares for passenger transportation fares aren’t regulated by the province or municipality, drivers are only required to register and charge GST/HST if their worldwide annual taxable revenues exceed $30,000, she wrote.

Philomena Comerford, president of Baird MacGregor Insurance Brokers, said a key unanswered question is “who is billing the customer? Is it Uber or the driver or both?
“Carrying paying passengers is not an HST exempt service regardless of whether a licensed or unlicensed taxi is used,” she wrote in email, adding that Uber's Montreal office was raided by the CRA in May.

“The playing field is not level between Uber and taxi drivers on account of the differential between regulated taxi rates that are subject to HST and Uber’s unregulated rates that do not add an HST charge.”

Noah Zon, a researcher with the public policy think tank Mowat Centre, said taxation in the growing sharing economy presents a challenge to tax collectors far beyond Uber and the taxi industry.
As increasing numbers of people work as independent contractors, they need their tax implications spelled out in plain, clear language.

“Governments in Canada and around the world can do a much better job” of this, Zon, co-author of Policymaking for the Sharing Economy, said Tuesday.

• Locked thread