Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Well if your friend says he is totally stacking bills then obviously everyone else is wrong and illegal cabbing is a boom business that nobody ever thought of until 2009.

Goons..

The ubiquity of smartphones made it possible in 2009 HTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously what a goony retard response

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

JohnSherman posted:

Are you under the impression gypsy cabs didn't exist until six years ago?

Listen...I was #1 Uber enemy in the GBS tech/uber thread and I would even partly take credit for the beginning of the uber backlash on these forums, since I wrote the first comprehensive anti-Uber posts on the forums to my knowledge, read that thread. I know full well what the difference between a gypsy cab and an Uber vehicle is. (Goons always assume the dumbest possible reading of any post they respond to, I've noticed)

Smartphones made Uber possible. That's what I said. Gypsy cabs have no centralized database or source for rides, they rely on word of mouth and poaching from taxi drivers in well trafficed areas. It is very dumb and stupid to conflate gypsy cabs and Uber. Gypsy cabs are not competing with taxis directly in major cities, they siphon off the excess demand where they can due to the limitations of city medallion systems. Uber directly competes with taxis, and with gypsy cabs, while claiming to be neither ("we're just a rideshare service, maaan")

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Well who am I to argue with noted Something Awful Anti-Uber Activist Movement founder Tautologicus.

What do you mean argue, I agree that Uber is bad news and parasitic on everything it touches. I just think you made stupid bandwagon "*chortle* everyone knows that Uber is just an illegal gypsy cab service" remarks since it's fashionable now. Yes, I helped make your bandwagon fashionable, I would definitely go as far as to say that. Have fun

Edit - removed pettiness for readability, not because I am suddenly less petty and goonish

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 10, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ya^

My overall point was always that Uber is going to hurt transportation in major cities over the long term if they have their way and aren't reigned in and regulated (against their will), not that it isn't a decent opportunity for some people in the short term, as long as you do it smartly (commercial insurance, don't lease a car from them like an idiot, don't depend on one rideshare service exclusively). But I think people don't see the big picture and stereotype and say it's things it isn't just to poo-poo something that's popular.

On the other side there's people who love Uber no matter what and think it's the wave of the future. Those people might have a rude awakening 5 years from now, at least if they remember things the way they used to be, because the bar for transportation services will be set much lower if things go on their present course. Which they likely won't, as there's all kinds of pushback from city governments.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

If you mind supporting an exploitative company, you shouldn't use a taxi service either. Their shenanigans are often just as bad (although usually in a different way).

Find me the conglomerate that owns all taxi companies in the world, or even the US. Or even a state. Or even a city. Monopolies create exploitative conditions, and that's what Uber aims to have in the transportation industry, if they get their way (which they won't, but it takes effort to oppose them). They are not innovators, they're taking advantage of a situation where regulation and public opinion has not caught up to what is possible through current (and common) technology.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nickutz posted:

Where do you live that taxi companies actually compete with each other? I've never seen them as anything more than a protected oligopoly.

Well they don't work with each other. Boston. I never said they did compete, but they are all separate companies in the same industry, so whatever that makes them, that's what they do.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nickutz posted:

I have a handful of cab companies to choose from too but they all provide criminally terrible service and have no incentive to improve. I don't believe my city operates on a medallion system either.

Yea I think I should limit my arguments against Uber to its presence in big metropolitan areas. For a lot of small town areas etc there's only improvement possible for local transportation, going by what I see on my travels and read in these threads. But I see Uber cars all over Boston now, I'm generally able to pick them out. They must be doing alright here. Maybe the cab companies do deserve a little bit of shakeup. But Uber can't be the future with its current business model, it's too fly by night a way of doing things. I think they will be forced to change rather than choose to change, because they would like to be as hands-off as possible and collect their 30% from SF.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rjderouin posted:

Yeah what the above quote said is true. Some day we won't need drivers, thats just a fact. I don't understand why that makes him heinous, it makes him a realist if anything.

Some day we may not need drivers in the strictest sense, but that doesn't mean we won't have drivers. And if Uber wants to be a self-driving car renting service, good for them. I think the dynamics of humans sharing the road with self-driving cars is incredibly tricky though, and might never actually happen the way the post-Singularity people imagine it will.

And consider this, as a small example. I'm emptying out a large personal library, donating a bunch and selling a bunch. Today I packed my car full of books in bins and went to find a donation bin about 15 miles away that I knew was there but didn't know the exact location of by street name. When I got there, I backed up onto the sidewalk because there wasn't enough space otherwise and I wanted to get as close to the bin as possible so I could throw books into the bin from the car. It seems like a bunch of those steps are made much much more difficult with a self driving car. Think about what human actions all that required and how they could be replicated with a computer if at all. Also consider work trucks for construction crews and any number of vehicles that require discretionary, precision yet organic movements that really can't be automated algorithmically. It's like, the more you think about the minutiae that go on day to day involving vehicles, the less area you see a possible self-driving car market covering. Highway driving, sure, great. That's easy stuff. What about the rest of day to day life?

Uber's welcome to try doing it but I doubt they will get very far tbh.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Jam posted:

Boston has the worst cab service of any large american city. Like, its horrid by many magnitudes. My top 5 list of 'oh god I almost died' is all taxicab rides and 3 of those were in Boston. Many of the cabs don't even have working seatbelts, they're really poo poo.

But Tufkanjian just bought a fleet of new Camry hybrids a few years back, it's not the cars that are poo poo..it's all the poo poo drivers, the haitians mostly.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
edit gently caress i posted hre before i have a short memory im gay cuck

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 17, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
edit dumb and wrong again..confused wilmington with winchester.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 18, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm fine with kicking Uber out of all cities and having it be a free-for-all out in the sticks. Unfortunately Uber has now become fashionable, mentioned in pop songs and used by politicians (maybe that doesn't mean it's fashionable..). Looks like we're all welcoming the Kali Yuga with open arms.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

That fucks over the worker class, all of them, harder than Uber could ever hope to. Also nearly all actual taxis are Priuses at this point anyway.

Camry or escape hybrids. Where do you see priuses???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Literally everywhere I've been that has taxis in the past year? There are occasionally other vehicles in addition to priuses (props to Spain for E-Class taxis!) but Prius taxis are a pretty common sight everywhere I've been recently.

Europe then? Never seen a prius taxi in the US. Maybe i am not paying attention.

They get ~10 mpg more in the city than the ones i mentioned so itd be a big deal i think.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 23, 2015

• Locked thread